Trying to catch up!

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY!!!

bagpipes

Just kidding I love bagpipes. I’m also not Irish, but I’m feeling a little more festive about this holiday than usual following Baltimore’s big St. Paddy’s Day 5K last weekend which I will have a recap of tomorrow. Today I’m just trying to get my wits about me. Work has been IN-SANE (in a very busy, but good way) and outside of work I’ve been working even more. I got a new computer so my freelance game has been pretty strong lately. And of course my newly minted 4 YEAR OLD. And then I had a birthday too and turned 30-again. And in the midst of all that….

I’m Still Training!

Even though I haven’t written about it in the past couple weeks, things are still moving along. Most of it has been good with a little bit of terrible sprinkled in. One of the two plans that I had been working off of has been ….how should I put this nicely…overzealous and due to going too hard lately I think I might have caught myself a slight case of plantar fasciitis. So if anyone has any recommendations on how to deal with that, I’m all ears.

Seriously though, I’m astounded that any half marathon training plan that claims to be geared toward beginners includes more than one speed training day per week and multiple middle-of-the-week runs of 8+ miles.

giphy

I digress. Aside from the heel pain, my workouts have been going pretty well. I’m about 50/50 treadmill and outside running now thanks to the return of 60-70 degree temps. (And SNOW again on Sunday just in time for me to run 12 miles! AWESOME!) I’ve also been working in stroller runs which are considerably harder now that Betty is practically driving and my new and most favorite way to work out…ORANGETHEORY!

OTF-Logo

WE FINALLY HAVE ONE HERE and I totally see what all the hype is about. More on my experience in an upcoming post because I could go on and on about it for a week, but I’m in love after just two times and will be signing up for some kind of membership. Not only is it such a fantastic workout, but it totally caters to my competitive side as well.

Oh and I booked my room for the race next month. Can you believe it’s almost April?

How has your training been going? Are you wearing green today? (I AM!) Drinking any green better later? (I’M NOT! Green beer weirds me out.)

16 thoughts on “Trying to catch up!

Good to hear from you! My life has been pretty crazy lately too and I’ve been a little on hiatus from blogging but trying to get back to it. Happy birthday to the two of you!!! ❤

Multiple 8-milers per week doesn't sound like much of a beginner half marathon training plan to me either :/

Can't wait to hear your more detailed thoughts on Orangetheory! I've been doing it for almost a year now so of course – I LOVE it! Glad to hear you have a studio near you and you've joined the fan club 😀

2. Running Boston and Beyond says:

Glad to hear about Orange Theory – I pre-joined the one that’s opening here next month. I’m super excited about it! Sorry about your heel pain – just be careful you don’t make it worse 🙂 No green beer for me, gotta keep it clean for my marathon on Sunday. Normally, we’d go out and pretend we were Irish though. Your training plan sounds a little hard core – my full plan has 8 mile runs in the week, but that’s for a full, soooo…. hmmmmm….

3. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

Get yourself a flexibrace (search for it on eBay — they’re usually under $15 including shipping). Best thing for my bout with plantar fasciitis last year. I did calf raises and walked shoeless on a foam roller too, but I think sleeping in the flexibrace was the key to things healing. Sorry you’re dealing with it — I’ve seen horror stories of peoples’ rupturing, and I don’t want to mess with that!

Also, I’m with you about being confused by beginner plans with multiple speed days per week. That seems like a recipe for disaster.

Happy belated b-day to both you and Betty!!!

I miss your witty writing! Oh and a 4 year old who’s practically driving – lol. Happy Birthday again bday sister! I haven’t figured out what I’m celebrating today – I’m not even a little Irish. Have you gotten checked for the PF? I know there are PF sleeves that are out there. Feetures used to sell them but not anymore. Check Charm City!! I”m still training too and this has been a hard (and peak) week for me. I’m exhausted (dang DST) and allergies on top. Boo to it all but I also have 12 Sunday. I can’t even.

5. hellyontherun says:

Ouch!!! Yes, take care of that foot! I have a friend who tore her plantar muscle!

I’ve heard only good things about OT and there’s one near me. I’m scared to try it though b/c I know I’ll love it (esp. since you say it caters to your competitive side because you know….). I don’t think my husband would allow for two gym memberships, lol!

No green beer for me!

Totally forgot to wear green today, and I agree, I’m weirded out by green beer! A plan that calls for multiple days of speedwork during the week definitely doesn’t sound like it’s aimed at beginners. When I had foot pain, freezing a water bottle and using that to roll out the bottom of my foot helped. I look forward to hearing what you think of Orange Theory!

Hey, thanks for popping in with an update! I’m busy busy too. Marathon training + being in a show was maybe not the best choice ever. Can’t wait to hear all about your race!

8. Chocolaterunsjudy says:

I did a half plan like that one year (twice) — unfortunately, it did not end well for me. Hopefully yours will go better!

I do have some very slight heel pain on the foot with the bad ankle, but it doesn’t sound like PF to me, although maybe I just caught it early enough. It’s just a very dull ache sometimes, never the excruciating pain I hear about. So I bought new shoes . . .

9. Jess@Run Pink! says:

I’ve been wanting to try orange theory but I’m afraid our little town won’t get one. Boohoo and dang what a plan! Ha! My mid week runs run about 8-10 and I feel like I’m more “advanced”. Well. Kinda. 😉 no green beer here! I actually forgot it was a holiday. Oops!! Lots of pinching 😉

10. Alanna says:

Happy belated Birthday! I hope it was a great one! I hear you on being crazy busy.

I’m so glad that you finally got to try out Orange Theory. It’s such a great workout. I’ve been going for almost 2 years now and love it.

Multiple 8-milers per week certainly doesn’t sound like a beginner half marathon training plan to me either. That’s pretty intense!

Take care of that foot! I actually just started having similar issues about a week ago. I’m hoping it just resolves itself quickly and I hope the same for you. I’ve hurt my knees and other things so many times that I never thought I would hurt my actual feet. Good luck and take care!

11. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

Looking forward to your St. Paddy’s Day 5K recap (I’m guessing it was FAST??!) and also your OrangeTheory thoughts. An OT just opened up near me and they’ve been advertising like crazy. I don’t know if I’m in need of more motivation to go running but I’m interested to know what actually goes on in the classes. Also, hope your heels feels better ASAP!

12. Kate says:

I’m eager to check out Orange Theory Fitness after reading your post! I’m just recovering myself after a few stress fractures back in October…had to take 10 weeks off 😦

I just wrote an article about taking it easy and listening to your body when trying a new fitness regime (http://tinyurl.com/gottostop). Because I didn’t listen to mine, I ran on an injured foot for about a month before I knew I was in serious trouble.

The half marathon will be SO worth it when you’re done! You’ll be addicted…I know I was!

13. michelle says:

OK, I am definitely going to have to check out Orange Theory. There is one very close to my house!

Sorry about your foot 😦 Take it easy!