I guess Half Marathon Thursday is a thing now.

This past week I brought myself a long overdue present: a shiny new MacBook Pro! At home I had been writing and designing on the same ancient iMac since 2008 which in human years would be comparable to…

old-lady
…and it was to the point where that thing made a better paperweight than a computer. It literally would have cost me more money to update it than buy a new one.

I’m thinking that the fact that I can blog from the comfort of my bed at night now will lead to me actually keeping up better with all this. Does that sound really lazy? I don’t care. I’m really lazy right now.

Anyway….

12651296_1136035819742153_7402483526330185560_n

After the debacle that was week 2/day 6, week 3 started off in a VERY sore fashion, especially after piling a long run on top of that on Sunday.

Monday, February 22: I had it mapped out that Mondays would always be 3 mile days, but I think those days are already over. I’ve never done my long runs on Sunday before and yeah…I’m going to need a break. This particular day I did run an easy mile, but then jumped on the Arc trainer for awhile at the gym instead. It was good I guess. Something different.

Tuesday, February 23:  Combo workout – 7 miles. This was the most fun I’ve had on a treadmill in a VERY long time: 1 mile w/u, 3 miles at half marathon pace, 3 minutes of rest (walk/slow jog), 4 x 2 minutes at 5K pace with 90 second recovery, 1 mile c/d. Usually when I run intervals on the treadmill I do them by distance and not time. I think I might prefer them this new way.

Wednesday, February 24: Easy 3 + strength. I was going to go to yoga down in the city, but the weather was crazy; pouring and with some gnarly thunderstorms. It was also February-warm and I wanted to run outside, but the desire to do that was not greater than my fear of being struck by lightning. So I went to the gym and after my run I went to BodyPump class to cover the strength part.

Thursday, February 25: 5 miles, easy hills. The treadmill hill setting has become my new BFF lately.

Friday, February 26: According to my Vivofit I only got like 3K steps in. So yeah…TOTAL rest day. I even got a pedicure to maximize my sloth-ness.

Saturday, February 27: 6 miles. 1 mile w/u, 4 at marathon pace, 1 mile c/d. Then I went to a warm vinyasa class that was FANTASTIC.

Sunday, February 28: Long run – 10 miles OUTSIDE because it was nearly 70 degrees that day although I seemed to be the only person on the trail who got the memo because everyone else I saw had on heavy coats. (Or I was just underdressed.) This run was not my favorite; in fact I feel like a lot of the runs that I’ve done on the trail in recent months have been really tough for me and I’ve concluded that it might be totally mental.

when-you-are-tired-of-explaining-something-over-and-over_666

Yeah. That’s pretty much how I feel when I think about running on the trail. I have biked and marathon-trained and marathon-ed all over that trail. I think I’ve seen all the trail that I ever need to see. It’s nice because it’s flat, but I think from now on I’ll stick to the roads around my house.

Total Mileage: 32

How has your week been going? Have you ever found yourself SO OVER a certain running route? How did that affect your performance (if at all)?

28 thoughts on “I guess Half Marathon Thursday is a thing now.

1. Chocolaterunsjudy says:

Oh God, I’m was so over running in my neighborhood because I didn’t have the time for months that I haven’t run in it at all the last couple of months.

But today I need to do some hills, so I’ll be back out there.

Yes, I like variety in all things in life!

2. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

I agree about Sunday and people in coats… it was so nice out but everyone else in the park where I was running seemed to be WAY overdressed. At least lots of people were outside enjoying the nice weather, even if they looked ridiculous in ear warmers in 65° weather. 😉

I’m with you on being over a certain route. I live right near the bike path, which in theory is awesome. It’s like 8 or so miles along the waterfront, rolling hills… Perfect for training. But since nearly every single run is on that bikepath, it gets old, fast. That’s when I start doing loops around my neighborhood to mix it up.

Sounds like you earned that total rest day! And yeah, I ran the same route in my neighborhood over and over when I started running and now I still hate the thought of running in the neighborhood 😦 But I try to switch it up with a different long run location every week so that helps.

• Chaitali says:

Yeah, I almost always drive a bit to go running on weekends. I know it seems silly, but it helps keep things fresh. Is the trail you do the NCR trail? I’m thinking of doing a half marathon there in April and was wondering about the condition of the trail. I know it’s not paved but is it fairly hard packed and the gravel small? Or would I have to deal with large stones, roots, etc.? I just wasn’t sure how difficult a trail it is.

I was so over the Lake Front path after my first marathon, but I totally found a new love for it the last two years–I love knowing what is coming and being able to mentally check out.

I like that aspect of some of my neighborhood runs. It’s a little tougher on the trail though because honestly…the trail is freaking BORING haha. I wish I could come run on the Lake Front path. So gorgeous!

6. Rachael @ Catch Me If You Can says:

that gif is perfect for how i feel about running alone for long runs! i havent tried a trail run, do you use different shoes or your normal shoes? i feel like i would be the one to trip over everything and fall flat of my face constantly.

This particular trail is rail trail so it’s mostly crushed stone and hard packed dirt. Soooo I just use my regular shoes. There is another much more technical trail that I like running on and I generally wear older shoes out there because it’s always muddy. I do want to get a pair of legit trail shoes for it though.

7. Kathryn @ Dancing to Running says:

I too often get bored with running on the same route. But with my limited time now, I often can’t take the extra time to drive to a trail further away from my house. Hopefully little man’s routine will become a little more consistent soon and it’ll be easier to plan these things.

8. Rebecca Jo says:

I only have one park where I can do my long runs & I have to do a loop to get in 2 miles … so when I have to do like 5 loops? I’m ready to punch myself in the face.

9. hellyontherun says:

Yup, I have a canal that I run on that after a while, I get a little bored on (if I’m by myself). I’ve taken to running in my neighborhood but we have mile long square blocks so it’s just on and on straigtness that can get boring too, lol. I’d much rather get on our trails out here.

I have such a good feeling about this half you’re training for. You are seriously going to beast mode it.

Yes!! I love Rock Creek park and it’s closed on weekends so there is free reign over the streets but man, I get tired of running the same path every week. Last Sunday I did my ten on the capital crescent trail. Which has a slight incline on the turnaround so not the happiest of runs, lol. Strong week lady!

I have not run on the trail since before the snow. I heard it’s clear now, with some muddy spots – I was going to run there this weekend, but I think I’m going to hit up Loch Raven again. Since my run is at the beach, running long on hills can only help right?

12. Jess@Run Pink! says:

Yes! I live in a super small town so I’m pretty much over it. Ha. Buuuuut I am still in love with our trails. Hard to beat Pisgah Forest for running. 🙂 I prefer to run my intervals based on distance when on the treadmill too. Great week of training. And Yay for new Mac!! I’m still plugging away on my husband 1920 Mac. Ha or who knows how old it is?!?!

I wish I was closer to the NCR but I could see it getting boring if you run on it all the time! I get a little bored of my neighborhood but its nice not to drive anywhere. I still haven’t been to Loch Raven and I bet that would be a nice change of scenery!