It’s Half Marathon….Thursday! #procrastination

Better late than never right? This week has been totally kicking my ass in all sorts of ways. Big deadlines at work + trying to get my workouts in = when I get home the last thing I want to do is sit in front of my computer. So this is the recap of week 2 just in time for week 3 to be almost over.

Let’s see if I can remember everything without having to look at my journal for reference. This should be fun. My brain is fried and I barely know what day it is today.

12651296_1136035819742153_7402483526330185560_n

Monday, February 15: Ummmmmm….3 miles. That’s what my plan told me to do anyway. My other option for Mondays is going to be cross training or rest and I think coming up here pretty soon I’m going to be taking advantage of that, especially now that my long runs are on Sundays.

Tuesday, February 16: Seriously it seems like these days were a year ago. This was an interval day – 6 miles total. 1 mile warm up + 4x1600s with 400m recovery. This was my first time EVER doing 1600s on the treadmill and to be honest I was totally dreading this workout. Like I almost skipped it in favor of 400s instead. I’m so glad I pushed myself though because it went great.

And then after all that I went to Bikram class, which was also great even though I still feel stiff as a board sometimes.

Wednesday, February 17: 3 miles easy. Normally I would strength train on Wednesdays also, but I had just been at Bikram the day before. So I went out to dinner instead.

Thursday, February 18: 4 miles with some hill repeats. Warmed up for 2, 8×30 second hill repeats at 5K pace and then cooled down for a mile. This is also new to me in training…I’ve never done specific hill workouts before. My house is surrounded by hills so like every run I do around here is sort of like it’s own hill workout. Now because it’s still winter and I am a huge wuss in the cold, I’ve been utilizing the hill feature on the treadmill more than ever before. Once it warms up outside, I have a couple local hills picked that I can run up and down on days like this.

Friday, February 19:

giphy

That about sums it up.

Saturday, February 20: This was a fun and interesting day! Plan said 4 easy and I don’t know how “easy” 4 miles is while pushing 75 lbs of kid and stroller, but Betty and I joined a crew out of Charm City for a fun run around the neighborhoods over there.

12744005_1148906045121797_9017603630219348143_n

She was so sassy and fun out there…I have such a cool kid!

Then later on in the day THIS HAPPENED. Almost a week later and I’m still feeling it, especially in my right elbow area. Despite that wipe out, it felt great to get back out on my bike only if it was just for a few miles.

Sunday, February 21: Long run day – 9 miles. My longest outside run since the marathon in November!

IMG_7182

This run was GREAT except for one part. I was on my way back home, in the midst of mile 6. Up ahead I could see an old red truck coming and I could hear it way before it got to me…it was a total piece of junk. Anyway, the moment that the truck got next to me the kind and considerate driver hit the accelerator so that a blast of exhaust shot out and into my face. And of course I just had to take a big gulp of air just at that moment, breathing it all in.

Apparently this is called “rolling coal”. Did you know that was a thing!? I have never had someone do something so rude to me while out on a run in my life. I would have rather been catcalled at 100x over.

I was super angry after that so I plowed through the rest of it without even really thinking about my pace. I guess I can thank that redneck piece of garbage for the rage-fuel.

Total Mileage: 29

Whew! I can’t believe I remembered all that. Especially after inhaling all those noxious fumes.

I hope everyone else has had a great week of training! How is it going for you?

14 thoughts on “It’s Half Marathon….Thursday! #procrastination

1. afastpacedlife says:

How rude and immature!!!

If I had been there I would have tried to get info (was it a company truck?) and then report him. I’ve done that with cabs that cut me off in traffic.

Glad you’re okay.

Drivers are the reason that I only run on the Lake Front Path. But then I have to deal with the cyclists. And the other runners. Not that that has happened in a long while.
    I had to take a down day yesterday. My sacrum was not feeling so well.

3. Rebecca Jo says:

Oh my gosh… that is so disgusting. I am such a freak when it comes to exhaust anyways & those redneck freaks that WANT cars that do that? I dont get it….

& BTW, you do have a cool kid!

Rolling coal, huh? What a d-bag. I’ve never seen or heard of that, but it blows. I once had a pickup pull onto the shoulder to play chicken with me, but that’s the worst I’ve had. I hope things calm down a bit for you soon!

Ugh – I’ve not been ‘coal rolled’ (actually just read that term the first time a couple of weeks ago … weird). But I HAVE had drivers push me off the road intentionally, sometimes into snowbanks, other times into the grass, and so on. SO much fun … I don’t swear very often, but …

I am on day 11 of no-rest running, and feeling it. Tomorrow I will run, then take the weekend off – with Lisa’s work schedule lately that has been how it has worked for me (12 on, 2 off). Weather has been decent, I am running outside – and have only cut back to my 8.75 ‘mid distance’ route twice all winter (and one day I cut way back to 4 miles due to ice!) I LOVE a winter when I can just keep doing my 10 mile daily runs the whole time … yay.

LOVE the pics with you and B … she really is such a cutie, and you are such a lucky mom/she is such a lucky kid. I can’t believe how quickly in my life it has gone from having cute little ones to being an empty-nester in about 6 months as #2 will be going to college! Where did the years go?!?!

6. irishrunnerchick says:

Great job getting outside to run – but a shame some @$$hole had to go and be a giant douchecanoe! Taking it one run at a time over here in shin-splintsland (wouldn’t it be awful if that was a real place!?!).

7. Sam @ See Sam Run says:

Nice week!! So what it’s a little late, you still did it! That instance with the truck sounds awful, I’ve thankfully never had that happened to me. I used to just get smoke blown in my face when I ran through campus. Either way it sucks!

8. Meranda@Fairytalesandfitness says:

That’s cool that Betty had fun on the group run!
    I have a fear of cars/trucks while I run and for that reason I always do training runs on the trail. (that way I only have to fear wild animals and strangers in the bushes…haha. I don’t know which is worse!

Wait, “rolling coal”….did he do that on purpose?! I’ve never heard of such a thing!!