It’s Plunge Week!

With all the snow last weekend I almost completely forgot. This Saturday is the Maryland State Police Polar Bear Plunge!

1448965771_12004118_1044093072275908_1272502303431859810_n

Thank goodness it wasn’t last Saturday because I’m positive it would have been called off. For those of you who may not be familiar with what a Polar Bear Plunge is, I will explain:

It’s basically a huge ice bath. I know we are all familiar with those.
Or the Ice Bucket Challenge x 1 billion.

I’ve plunged once in the past and it looked like this:

22358_300207680027_4761383_n.jpg

This was in 2010. Yes it is snowing and yes I am dressed like a giant bee for reasons that I cannot remember. Also I was absolutely as cold as I look.

So why do I want to do something like this again even though last year I specifically said that I was never going to do it again? First of all, I have a terrible memory. Secondly it’s for an excellent cause. A bunch of crazy people have been diving into the Bay for the past 20 years to raise money for the Special Olympics of Maryland. I considered plunging last year too, but instead decided to participate in the sister event, a 5K called Freeze Your Buns, which ended up being colder and more awful than taking an icy dip in a ridiculous outfit.

It just so happens that Freeze Your Buns was supposed to be last weekend and obviously was postponed along with my run club’s 8 miler that I was supposed to volunteer for. Damn Jonas messing up all the race plans.

Third of all…FRIENDS! The Plunge is like a great big beach party minus the warm sunny weather and instead of sand we will be slogging through 2 feet of snow. (Unless they’ve cleared the beach which I suspect they have not.) Lots of people even hop in the Bay in their swimsuits which I will be doing this year since I can’t locate my bee costume. We have rented a bus to take us down there as it is about a 45 minute trek from where we live and it will be full of healthy snacks and drinks.

Okay fine…taco dip and beers. It’s going to be my rest day so I do what I want.

I’m sure I’ll have tons of hilarious photos to share when Monday rolls around.

Have you ever done a Polar Bear Plunge? Would you?

21 thoughts on “It’s Plunge Week!

1. Chocolaterunsjudy says:

No, I’ve never done one & it is highly unlikely I ever will, no matter how good the cause!

I did do the ice bucket challenge. My husband’s aunt died from ALS. I still had to push him hard to do it, and he likes to say we killed it, since it seemed to peter out after that.

I’d like to say good luck, but crazy people don’t need luck. 🙂

2. afastpacedlife says:

Brrrrr! I’ve done Polar Bear Plunges before – vicariously.

Thanks to my hyperactive immune system, I have to be careful about getting cold and wet. It’s not something I can do unless I want to be sick for the next couple of months. Looking forward to the photos, but I’m a little sad that you can’t find your bee costume. 🙂

You are a very brave soul. I don’t think I’d have the guts or motivation to do that polar bear plunge…unless maybe I did a long run before that and could do with a quick ice bath 😛 Have fun! And bring lots of sweaters and blankets and hot chocolate for afterwards!!

4. klregan says:

Oh, dude! You are brave! That is pretty much the craziest thing I’ve ever heard of. Being a native Floridian and general hater of winter, I would never do that. I hate being cold so much. You are very cute in that bee costume, though. I’d wear that if it were like 90 degrees outside. 🙂

5. Jessica @ Fit Talker says:

I’m all for supporting a cause, but in this case i’d rather donate than get in the water in the winter. I have a hard enough time getting into the ocean when it’s anything under 80 degrees. 🙂

Enjoy it! The bus ride part sounds fun 🙂

6. Sam @ See Sam Run says:

Have fun! My mom is doing the NH one on Superbowl Sunday. I thought about doing it this year but I have too much going on! I also was afraid to take away family donations from my mom, who normally raises a good chunk of change. I love the cause though, and will probably do it some day.

7. prettylittlerunner says:

I haven’t done one believe it or not but its def something I would love to do. My SIL lives in Staten Island and is doing it. IF we ever return to ny I would absolutely do it!!! Have fun! Stay … Cool;)