Yeah. I ran in that.

So Mid-Atlantic friends…how’d you do this weekend?

4414892-7443817385-Marsh.png

If Jonas were a cartoon, I imagine he would look like this.

It was unreal over here. Just before it started we were forecasted for 2 feet and ended up with about 30″ at my house. Looking outside at my little red car as it became more and more overwhelmed by snow was a little depressing. I tried to clean it off several times on Saturday and as I’m sure you can imagine that was mostly pointless.

IMG_6046

You can see my beer getting buried in the front left of this picture.

The problem with this much snow and living in an apartment is that there’s not really anywhere to pile it up without being a real jerk and further blocking in a neighbor’s car.

In addition to a bunch of fruitless shoveling I did everything I said I was going to do in my post on Friday; although sledding was impossible after Friday night because we just sank into the snow.  Yes, I even ran during the blizzard.

Things started off well enough. It was a bit blustery when I turned out of my parking lot, but by the time I got to the top of the hill, I was really pumped up and singing to myself. This was fun!

I only intended to do a mile and then see how I felt after that. My watch beeped and things were going great; I was sailing down the other side of the hill in the middle of the street because obviously there weren’t any cars out on the road. Our government was very specific about everyone staying in their houses. #crazyrunners

Another half mile in and things began to get a little troublesome. The wind was REALLY bad at the base of the hill and snow was blowing directly into my face with a force that was more than little bit painful. I had to stop and turn my back to it a couple times. I started to wonder if this had been such a good idea.

tumblr_mzc96zApV71qbdq9so3_r1_500

I posted this in jest the other day, but it felt exactly like this.

Getting lost and disoriented had seemed like such a far-fetched concept and although I knew where I was at that moment, I could now see why people get lost in blizzards. I wished I had stayed closer to my house.

BUT. I had to get home somehow so I kept going. I ran past a lady who was trying to shovel her front walk and she yelled out, “NOW THAT’S DEDICATION!” Or insanity. Whatever.

My watch beeped mile 2, I saved my run and walk-stumbled the rest of the way back to my house.

IMG_6031.jpg

I think I got my crazy points for the day and also achieved frozen eyelashes (and frozen rest of my face) for the first time ever!IMG_6033

Yesterday my gym was closed and it was much nicer outside – sunshine and 20 MPH wind gusts as opposed to 60 – so I went for another, longer run to check out how the roads had been treated so far.

IMG_6019.jpg

I had on all the pairs of socks.

IMG_6097

IMG_6120

Not as bad as I thought (although there is supposed to be a street in that photo at the bottom right). I managed to find 5 miles of road that had been plowed enough for me to run in the middle of. I’m sure we won’t have sidewalks until June.

For the rest of the day I shoveled and managed to get my car out. Today I’m at work and I can barely lift my arms. I guess I can skip BodyPump this week.

Were you affected by Jonas this weekend? How did it go? Did you shovel a lot? Are you still trapped in your house? Did you get a chance to go for a run in it?

I hope everyone had a safe, happy, warm weekend!

47 thoughts on “Yeah. I ran in that.

1. klregan says:

Oh wow! That looks intense! You’re a rockstar for running in it. When I lived in Indiana, I would be forced to run in some pretty nasty conditions like that. Luckily, here in Kansas, we didn’t really get hit too hard by the storm. I think we got about 4 inches of snow… although that seemed to shut down things for a little while.

2. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

HARD CORE!!!!!!!! Or crazy 🙂
    We totally missed the storm which is a first for us in Nova Scotia! Though after last winter, I’m hoping we don’t get snow like that again…it was nuts! Shoveling is always a great upper body workout that’s why I don’t bother lifting weights in the winter…ha ha oh wait, I don’t lift weights in the summer either 😉

3. afastpacedlife says:

Gawd, you’re hardcore. I stayed inside the entire time. Yesterday we went out for a half hour walk. That was enough. Warmer temps and no wind today, so I think I’ll go out later. Luckily for me work is cancelled today.

Take care and keep warm!

4. Shawna says:

gahhh i cannot believe you ran into Jonas!! you nutter. weren’t your feet soaked and frigid?! i had two mornings dates with my treadmill both days this wknd and struggled to walk outside even in waterproof boots! hardcore, lady. you hardcore. 😉

more power to you on running in that but glad you made it home safely and didn’t get blizzard wasted 😉 . My streets are down to one lane and the sidewalks are a hot mess so I have no desire to even try to run outside. Just walking the 100 feet to my fitness center yesterday was like a maze! I’m going to attempt to dig my car out today, it looks pretty much like yours, hehe. Working from home and in DC where the govt is shut down has it’s advantages. p.s. glad to see you posting more these days!!!!

I considered going for a run yesterday but ended up spending the day shoveling instead! I remember how crazy it was to dig out my car when I lived in an apartment and was parked in a parking lot. Even in our house I felt like there was no where to put all the snow. The hardest part was carrying it to wherever we could pile it up and then lifting it to the top of the 5 foot pile of snow!

Yikes! Those are some impressive runs in the snow. My weekend workouts were limited to shoveling. You’re right, the biggest problem was where to put all the snow.

Yeah it’s out of control. My time of running around here is pretty much done for now because there are no sidewalks and too much traffic to contend with. It was fun while it lasted.

8. rundoodlerun says:

Damn, girl! You are one brave soul to run in that. The snow was going sideways past my window all day Saturday. I got my long run in on Friday morning up on the trail – it was so serene up there. I would’ve loved to have gone running yesterday after I dug out my car, but I just didn’t trust the drivers around here. This may be the week I finally suck it up and re-join the MAC…

Friday was truly like the calm before the storm. That trail is going to be a mess for months probably! JOIN BRICK BODIES!! It’s cheaper and they have awesome classes!

9. Rebecca Jo says:

I loved all the news stations that had runners going in the background. Made me smile every time I saw one.
    Frozen eye lashes is proof you are a BadA** 🙂

10. Alanna says:

You rock! Sadly I didn’t run for fear of getting hit by a car. I’m sure our sidewalks will be a disaster until at least May. It makes me sad. Stupid snow!

You are definitely crazy dedicated to this thing called running! Haha. Sounds like you had your fair share of new experiences this weekend. Jonas was pretty much just as bad here too. We got over two feet of snow and I spent 3-4 hours shoveling yesterday. My who body (and especially my arms) hurt so bad today. Enjoy some more snowy runs this week! (And hopefully it doesn’t all turn to ice!)

I feel like it was more of a surprise for you guys. NJ and NYC were upgraded to much more serious stuff like right as it was starting! I totally feel you on the sore arms thing and hope you’re feeling less sore (and less buried!) today!

Wow, 30″!? We got about 3. Talk about role reversal! I’m impressed that you made it out in those conditions. I definitely would have just hibernated with a bottle of wine…

Haha I know right? You guys usually are the ones getting hammered. We get something like this …well about every 6 years I guess. Luckily I didn’t drink ALL the wine this weekend so I’m set for the week!

I’m surprised I was able to get to the office yesterday morning. I’m glad I kept digging as the storm went on. It felt pointless at the time, but in the end it made getting out that much easier.

13. Sam @ See Sam Run says:

Major kudos to you for running TWICE in that snow. I as well as many would have just stayed indoor (with like 5 beers, obviously). Your sad car! I hope you finally got it cleared off. I bet you and B had lots of fun during the storm!

Girl, our street didn’t even get plowed, we had to shovel my street and we are a main city street. The kids are STILL out on snow days and I’m ready to poke my eyeballs out. I think the frozen eyelashes are a true rite of passage for a true BAMR!! Way to go 🙂