I wasn’t going to do 16 in 2016…

…but the way my race calendar is shaping up, it looks like I very well might exceed that number. Let’s just start emptying out my bank account now, shall we?

tumblr_mtgghy7ZWm1srnr7qo1_500

This is about as much as I will ever be able to make it rain.

I’ve been carefully planning out my calendar for the year; one that will include zero full marathons so I’m pretty excited at the prospect of doing a bunch of shorter races again and hopefully not injuring myself in the process. I haven’t committed 100% to anything yet – and by that I mean I have spent exactly zero dollars so far – but I think I have it all figured out by this point. All there is left to do is get a second job or win the lottery to fund all of it because unfortunately as you might be able to tell by the fact that I’m posting on my blog right now, I did not win the Powerball last week.

Salt’s 2016 Completed-ish Race Calendar

January

Oh hell no. It’s -12 degrees outside and we could possibly get 2 feet of snow this weekend. Unless there’s a treadmill race this month, I’m not doing a damn thing.

February

At some point between the 5 – 8: Nuun Year Dash. It’s virtual. I’m on Team Nuun so I felt inspired to participate. I’m going to do the 10K. (YAY TEAM NUUN!!)

2016teamnuun

March

13: Kelly St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock 5K. The first race in Charm City Run’s B3 series that I will be participating in again this year. This year I also know where to stand at the start so that I don’t trip over a thousand people walking during the first quarter mile.

April

Okay now let’s get down to business.

10: White Hall 15K. I’m so glad BRRC moved this one to April this year. The past two years I ran it, it was scheduled in March and had to be rescheduled both times due to bad weather. This will be my first race in the Grand Prix series for this year.

16: Sole of the City 10K. Second race in the B3 series. I love this race so hard and was sad to miss out on it last year.

30: Island to Island Half Marathon. Ocean City, Maryland. This is my goal race for spring. I had a hard time deciding between this and the Frederick Half the following weekend, but in the end went with this one. I would have chosen Frederick if I was going to go for the King Crab this year, but I’m not. So I didn’t.

May

15: Women’s Distance Festival 5K. Small. Local. Put on by my run club and all women as the name would suggest.

June

4: Baltimore 10 Miler. I’ve been wanting to run this race for forever, horror stories of hills be damned.

19: I’ve got two options. I’ll either be doing BRRC’s GPS 5K or there’s a small possibility that I might be signing up for my first sprint duathlon, either by myself or if I can convince another person who just so happens to be way stronger on a bike than I am.

29: GPS Meet of Miles. It’s literally a mile race. It seems like the easiest way to get points for the Grand Prix Series and yet I missed out on it the past two years due to injury. Let’s hope that’s not the case again.

July

It’s going to be hotter than hell, so probably nothing this month.

August

21: GPS Too Hot to Trot 10K. This will be year #3 for me. It’s a small 10K on the trail near my house. The past two years it has been not too hot to trot at all and instead was magically in the low 50’s in August.

September

3: Charles Street 12. B3 race #3 and one of my favorite races ever. My goal this year is to not completely brick at mile 10 like I have the past two years.

16-17: Ragnar DC! My first Ragnar!! I’m so freaking excited for this. My team is shaping up to be completely awesome.

October

2: GPS Half Marathon. Another one on the trail. This will either be my 4th or 5th GPS race and it’s where I have my current half PR.

15: Baltimore Running Festival. Instead of doing the half this year, I’d really like to form a relay team. Now to find 3 poor, unsuspecting people to sign up with me…

30: GPS Cross Country 5 Miler. I don’t know exactly why I want to do this one again because I generally hate cross country, but this race was pretty fun this past November even though it was gross and rainy all the way through.

November

Date TBD: Zoo Zoom 8K. I couldn’t do this one last year because it was too close to the NCR Marathon. It always seems to be freezing cold, but the past two times I’ve done it it was one of my favorites.

Date TBD: Restoration Run 5K. Small, fun local race that benefits trout restoration. And don’t we all need a little more of that in our lives?

December

Date TBD: Celtic Solstice 5 Miler. I think I might be one of the only runners in Baltimore who hasn’t done this one yet. I’m jealous of the cool jackets people get every year so I think it’s time I signed up.

In case you are more terrible at math than I am, that adds up to 18 races and it also doesn’t include the random 5K that is sure to pop up somewhere on the calendar. You all know how I love signing up for stuff last minute.

Thank goodness BRRC races are $2 apiece for members or I’d have to declare bankruptcy.

How is your calendar shaping up for 2016? Are you going to be at any of the same races as me?? Who wants to be on my relay team!?

I hope everyone is having a stellar week so far!

(Post #4 in the past two weeks! I’m on a roll!)

50 thoughts on “I wasn’t going to do 16 in 2016…

1. Normailed says:

I think I’m in for Chuck 12, there is Ragnar, and then the Zoo. I wanted to do Solstice last year and didn’t, so it’s a strong possibility. Also…you should do Maryland Du in July…just to have something to look forward to. I’m doing the sprint, Nick is doing the Oly.

YASSSSS. We are going to race together so much this year! I had no idea about the Maryland Du! Maybe I’ll do that one instead of the June race and leave myself open for the GPS 5K.

You have no idea how much you’re helping right now. 🙂

What a great schedule! I still haven’t signed up for anything, although I am supposed to do a virtual 10k in Feb. Other than that I am not even going to think about racing until March! Thanks for the ideas- Im sure I will be at the 10 miler, 12 miler, and Balt Running Festival!

3. irishrunnerchick says:

Awesome running year! You guys have such a great bunch of races up in MD – I’m a little jealous. I have a bunch of races in the spring and haven’t really thought much further than that. Although I know there will not be a full road marathon on my schedule this year.

4. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Well planned out Salt! I’ve only signed up for two races: Johnny Miles Half Marathon in June and Maritime Race Weekend, 5k and Half Marathon – all in Nova Scotia. Wouldn’t it be fun to meet up at a race….but that would require flights and hotels which would take away from running more races 😉 I’m hoping to add in a handful of 5’s and 10’s.

5. Rebecca Jo says:

There’s just something exciting about having a full year of races laying ahead. To me, that’s the best motivation.

Great schedule! I love that you are tackling so many different distances. That’ll make things very fun and interesting. I don’t know if any of these races will work out for me because my year is gonna be a little nuts. I’m actually trying to limit my racing this year so we’ll see what ends up happening haha

That’s what I did last year (I think I ended up with 11 or 13 or something?) I missed the shorter distances so much though! I hope that we can meet up again at a race at some point. 🙂

7. Sam @ See Sam Run says:

Awesome list! I hope to join you at some! I am doing Zooma Annapolis on 6/4 but I am a little bummed to be missing the B10 – I love the medal this year! You could also add in the Frederick Half and do the King Crab!
    I would so be in for the relay with you if you don’t mind a slowpoke. I love the race but want the Philly Half to be my fall goal race.

I was so up in the air about the Frederick half, but the relay at Baltimore won’t qualify me for King Crab I don’t think. And do you really want to relay with me!? YES!! You and me and Mar and we just need one more person! Our team could be so fun!

8. KelsieLou says:

Hey Salt!
    Nice schedule. The Ocean City race sounds like fun. Love that place. I’m training for the Flying Pig Full May1st. I would like to do The Run The Bluegrass Half in April.

That’s great that you’re doing Ragnar this year! I told myself I’m not doing 16 in 2016 either but it looks like I’m going to end up around that number anyway. But it’s mostly shorter races. Sounds like you have a great year shaping up.

10. Jennifer says:

Sole of the City 10K, Baltimore 10M, Celtis 5 MM are under consideration. I think I will be there for the BWC 5K – loved it last year. Hopefully we’ll overlap this year 🙂

11. Alanna says:

Great schedule! I love that you are doing Ragnar this year. I did that last year and absolutely loved it, as I’m sure you will to. I’m trying to step back from racing a bit this year to focus on some other things, with the exception of some smaller, local races. I’m trying to study and come up with the best training plan so I can get that BQ, 🙂

Thanks! I’m really looking forward to it. 🙂 Good luck with everything you have coming up! I’d love to hear which plan you decide on when you find one that works for you!

Yes you have already had enough of a huge life change to focus on for one year. 😉 I know you’ll get up here eventually! In the meantime we should meet up if I come down for a VA race!

I love love some new shorter distance PRs this year! It’s so hard to do when I’m marathon training though and really I do love shorter distances so much more. 🙂