The Friday Five – Favorites Edition!

Since I’ve been suffering from a massive blogging fail lately, obviously I’ve missed out on a ton of fun including my favorite link-up EVER…THE FRIDAY FIVE!

DC_linkup

Gosh I hope they still use the same badge or I’m probably going to look a little silly. I’ve missed Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney so much! This week’s prompt is FAVORITES and maybe I should have read up on this before raving about my new shoes and socks the other day because that would have been half a post right there. Then again, who knew that I’d be posting TWICE IN ONE WEEK this week. I certainly didn’t. I’m just happy to finally be shaking some of the dust out of my brain.

Shoes and socks would have been so obvious anyway. Without further ado…5 favorite things lately, completely random edition.

These Bangs.

I’ve been going through a little bit of an identity crisis lately. When those happen, along with reevaluating my life to see what sort things I might like to work on I also might alter my appearance in some minor way such as getting a new tattoo or changing my hair and when I was younger, sometimes I would piece a new part of my face. Because I’m fresh out of tattoo ideas at the moment and haven’t pierced anything since I was 27, new hair won. I hadn’t had it cut since the summer anyway.

I ended up finding a great new stylist and got my hair cut with bangs for the first time since I was pregnant with B. I LOVE THEM. I feel like I have all the hair options right now. They are long so I can sweep them to the side or pin them back or wear them down if I’m feeling particularly emo that day.

12509531_10153418983855028_2346687808749188887_n

I was probably listening to The Smiths or something when I was taking this photo.

This song.

I listen to Pandora – and I really do listen to The Smiths sometimes – while I’m at work and I’ve learned about more awesome bands that way. Kongos is not a new band, but even though this song was released in 2012 I managed to never hear it until like 2 months ago. It is my current favorite song and one of my favorites to run to.

Here’s a YouTube link if you feel like listening to it like I probably am right now.

This sushi roll.

I have been eating at this sushi restaurant for like 8 years and for some reason – most likely being that I’m completely oblivious just like how I was with that song that was released in 2012 –never saw this on the menu until like 2 weeks ago. It’s called a Hotter Than Hell roll.

IMG_5083

I don’t think it’s particularly hot, but it is definitely more deliciouser than hell. That is crab meat and spicy tuna with white tuna on the outside and some kind of wasabi and citrus madness. It’s also supposed to have tobiko on it, but as much as I love sushi, I just can’t even with fish eggs.

Power tools.

I’m serious. So you guys know I have a job right now that I love so much that I wouldn’t have even quit had I won the Powerball. Without giving away too many details because stalky mcstalkersons are all over the internet, said current job has to do with power tools. Before I started working there, I knew nothing and was making jokes about hanging out in Lowe’s to do my homework. Over the past couple months, I’m picking up things left and right without even really trying. I’m learning all about brushless motors and recip saws and got my dad a spectacular new hammerdrill for Christmas. I feel incredibly manly. Maybe one day I’ll actually renovate something.

Lite Brites.

Remember these?

Hello_on_a_Lite-Brite

When my mom said she got Betty one for Christmas I kind of wanted to strangle her. All I could envision were thousands of those little colored pegs stuck in the carpet and in the bottoms of my feet.

However, much like every other toy I had as a child, Lite Brites have been rendered far less dangerous. For one thing, you no longer have to plug them into the wall and hence no electric shock risk. For another, all the pegs (which seem to be considerably less stabby now) can be stored in a handy little case that attaches to the side where they cannot become lodged in my skin. Betty and I have had hours of fun with that thing. She gets to be creative and I get to relive my childhood without making the same kind of ginormous mess that my mom used to have to clean up after me. It’s a total win.

BF01786lg

Plus the little pieces come in other fun shapes now rather that just the boring old peg kind.

Did you have a Lite Brite as a kid? Do you love sushi? (And if so, what’s your favorite roll?) Have you ever had bangs before or renovated something in your house?

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend. Thanks to the DC girls for hosting! It feels so good to be back.

50 thoughts on “The Friday Five – Favorites Edition!

1. Chocolaterunsjudy says:

I am so hopelessly not handy, but luckily my husband is. I can put things together, given enough time — say a week or so (and have even done so), but he just looks at it & BAM! It’s done.

I adore sushi. My husband jokes that introducing me to it was the worst choice he ever made. Fav pre/post race/long run meal. I’m all about the salmon.

I’ve almost always had bangs. I don’t think I look good without them, even though most of the time they’re pushed back anyway. I don’t usually grow them long because they get crazy curly and unmanageable, even if I try to iron them.

2. Michele Chasky says:

I had a light brite as a kid and bought my daughter one for Christmas, SHE LOVES IT! Favorite sushi roll has to be spicy salmon, hands down.

They are so much fun! I don’t think I’ve ever had spicy salmon before. I didn’t even know it existed! I LOVE spice though so I’m going to have to give it a shot!

3. klregan says:

Awe! I had a Lite Brite too! I loved it, but it did make a pretty terrible mess. I have had bangs, but I have really wavy hair, so the bangs tend to curl up and it’s kind of hair styling nightmare. I wish I could have them though. Your’s are pretty cute.

Thank you! My hair is pretty crazy straight so the nice thing about them is they lay just how I want them too with minimal effort. I do wish my hair was wavier though!

I love the bangs! They look great 🙂 And I totally remember the lite brite from when I was a kid. I’m glad they’ve made improvements for the sake of all parents.

Batteries! And the light has different settings too…push the button to turn it on and it’s just a steady light, but then there are these crazy blinky modes too so you can have your own personal little light show. Fun stuff. 🙂

Ooo, sushi. It’s been too long since I had good sushi. And I had a Lite Brite when I was a kid–I loved that thing. Glad to see that improvements have been made, though. I distinctly remember losing most of the pegs in pretty short order.

I remember missing pegs all the time too. I think they were kept in plastic sandwich bags, but the ziplock seal hadn’t been invented yet so they were still everywhere haha.

6. Jennifer says:

I loved lite brite when I was a kid and spirograph, too! I’m conflicted when I buy mine toys I had as a kid and see the changes, some are great and some make me sad and weirdly nostalgic.

I think the bangs look great!

Okay so confession: I had a spirograph and never figured out how to use the damn thing. My mom mentioned wanting to get one for Betty and the whole idea made me nervous because I’d never be able to teach her to use it. 🙂

And thank you!!

7. Rebecca Jo says:

Who knew Lite Brites were around… & so not dangerous anymore.
    We were tougher kids then 😉 haha Chance a burn to play

8. Sam @ See Sam Run says:

LITE BRITE! That was my favorite favorite toy as a kid! I’m glad little B is enjoying it. Your new job sounds like so much fun! I get to excited every time I get to use a power tool, but no one should trust me with one.

9. Jess@Run Pink! says:

Sushie= no way! Lite Brites = yes way! I am really digging your bangs! I’m feeling like I’m way overdue for a new hair style…currently I’m rocking messing runner’s hair. Like errrrday! Happy Friday!!!!!!

I love everything about this post! First of all, you look fabulous with bangs. I just don’t think I could pull it off. And this sounds stupid but I am always afraid to change my hair for fear that I will end up with something that drives me crazy on a run. That sushi roll looks amazing! And Lite Brites?! I totally forgot about them until I saw this. So fun!

WENDY!! I have missed everything about this. It’s so good to see you on here even though I get to see you on Facebook all the time! And thank you. 🙂

I do have much love for the old one, but as a parent I’m just glad to not have to deal with the pegs!

11. prettylittlerunner says:

OMG!!! Love.The. Bangs.I loved my lite brite as a child…. I think I lost the pegs one by one and that was the end of that lol. I’m #obsessed with sushi. I haven’t found a great place here in Florida yet but when I lived in NY one of my favorite rolls was called The Spice Girl roll… to die for.

Bangs like that remind me of being 5, but they look amazing on you! And with a lite brite in hand… yeah, I would def look 5. I loved me a light bright. I’m surprised they haven’t made them digital or whatever by now, lol, like Monopoly.

13. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

OH MY GAWD LIGHT BRITE!!!!!!! Can you tell that was my favorite toy? I’m not even adding in “as a kid” because if someone bought one for me right now, you’d still find me in front of it in a week. And as for sushi, the hubby recently turned me on to it and now I’m a total freak for it. Sushi rules: no krab (whatever THAT is), or neat creatures like squid, octopus, or eel. And DEF no eggs. Makes me think of Finding Nemo every time I see them. Oh and one more thing…keep the stinky seaweed and give me soy paper any day. That stuff makes my stomach turn!