Resting, recovering, and new things I’m loving.

And also HI. Happy New Year 13 days late, everyone!

Following the NCR marathon – which is now way over a month ago, I still haven’t written a recap of it, and maybe I should consider getting on that – I decided to take a little break from running. I was incredibly sore and lacking any kind of motivation…not just to run, but really just to do anything. (Hence the reason that this place was so quiet for so long.) Of course, taking running out of the equation for any of us is likely to lead to mild insanity, so the break lasted only a few days before I decided that I’d just spend a lot of time at the gym on the treadmill instead. I realize this probably sounds like a form of torture to most people, but in a period of mental and physical recovery it was nice to have an out if a run wasn’t feeling quite right rather than deciding a half hour in that I couldn’t do it anymore and having to call someone for a ride because I was 4 miles away from my house.

You better believe I didn’t waste those 70 degree December days inside though. I did run outside a few times. You just don’t NOT run outside in shorts and a tank top on Christmas Eve.

IMG_4834

In addition to the treadmill, I switched shoes. Again. My go-to shoes had become my Hoka Clifton. There were nearly 500 miles on both pairs and here I was questioning why I might have high hamstring pain. I started reading reviews of the Clifton 2 and they seemed a little unfavorable, so I bought myself a pair of Hoka Huaka.

These shoes are made of unicorn smiles and magic. Plus they have a big ol’ logo on the side that appeals to my inner graphic designer

IMG_4813

Hamstring pain GONE after two runs. Then I learned that the Huaka really must be the shoe I’ve been waiting all my life for because they are being discontinued and that’s just the kind of luck that I have.

Anyway as you can also see from that picture: there has been a lot of extra compression sock wearing lately. I rock them on most of my runs even if I am seemingly the only person at the gym who wears them on the treadmill. People can judge all they want, but I have better circulation than ALL of them.

Of course those socks are Lily Trotters, aka my compression sock of choice since learning about them last year. Just before the holidays, I got the best package ever in the mail from my friend Susan containing some spiffy new pairs of Lily Trotters including the Sassy Bow (in the picture above although the angle doesn’t show off the adorable bow detail on the back), the Candy Stripes that go awesomely with my Pure Cadence:

IMG_4775

And one of my most favorites…the lotus socks that I sometimes wear to work and to the gym in the same day. I’ve worn compression socks to work before, but would never have considered rolling up my pant leg to show them off.

socks

Yes I did wear my pants like that and to my knowledge no one thought I was any weirder than they normally do.

I even took a pair out on a disgustingly muddy trail run the other day!

IMG_5689

Yet they still manage to look incredibly cute.

The fact that Lily Trotters are still creating  such a huge buzz makes me ecstatic. Also ever since I started wearing them there’s a new fan in my house too; my mom, who is an RN and on her feet for long shifts, literally cannot deal with work unless she has them on. They have made such a huge difference for her and it’s great that she can get the word out about their benefits amongst her nurse friends while I continue to talk about them in the running community.

I’m at a place where I’m starting to plan out my race schedule – no marathon this time, focusing on halfs and shorter – and get back to my normal fitness because there was definitely quite a bit of wine and cookies around the holidays. With new shoes, socks, and working toward a more positive outlook on life in general, I’m feeling pretty well prepared to go into the spring pain-free.

How is your spring race schedule looking? Gone on any trail runs lately? New shoes? Fun New Year stories? Tell me something! I feel like I have so much to catch up on!

57 thoughts on “Resting, recovering, and new things I’m loving.

1. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! says:

I am beginning to share your love of running. Granted, I’m only doing about 2.25 miles, on a treadmill, in my garage about 3x a week but it’s a start. What used to feel like hell and torture to me, is actually now a relaxing and enjoyable thing. I love getting out there after work, listening to motivational tunes and jogging about 2 miles and then using the qtr for cool down.

Strange things happening over here. 🙂

I’m going to look into these Lily Trotters… I think my legs would thank me!!! ox

OMG. You just made me the happiest ever! I’m so glad you’re loving it and 2.25 miles is fantastic!! You just can’t beat those endorphins. 🙂 Keep me updated on how it’s going. I’m so excited!

LOVE seeing an update from you! 🙂 I think a lot of people took small breaks from the fall season. I did and am happier for it but definitely ready to get back to a semi-formal training schedule.

I think breaks from almost everything are important and help prevent burn out 🙂 I’m glad you enjoyed yours though that’s bad news on the shoes being discontinued. You may need to buy up a bunch to stock pile them!

4. Shawna says:

fun to read from you again! the socks look so cute. it’s SO COLD in NY now (although i can’t complain b/c it was been the mildest winter ever) so i chose the treadmill over 20 degrees and wind at 5:30 am today…it seemed like a good move. haven’t registered for any Spring races yet but i have my eye on a half in April and the BK half in May.

I’m baaaaaaaack! Which half are you looking at? The one thing about running inside so much is now I’m so spoiled and 20 degrees seems so terrible. I think I’ll be spending time inside a little bit longer now that it’s gone totally frigid down here.

5. whostardis says:

its it funny how some new item can re-energize you to do something. i got a pair of hoka bondi’s and love them, you are so right they are made of unicorns and rainbows 🙂 I dont like running trails Im afraid of falling and we dont really have any trails near me as it is.

6. klregan says:

Welcome back! I’m glad to see you’re doing well and running! I took a bit of a break over the holidays too. 🙂 Those socks are pretty awesome. I’ve been looking to get a pair of compression socks, so maybe I’ll try out a pair. I just signed up for the Colfax Marathon (in May), so I guess my spring is pretty well tied up!

7. Run Colby Run says:

Hooray! You’re here!!!! I’m thrilled you’re back. I’ve missed you! I am beginning to think it’s time for me to give those cute lil’ compression trotters a whirl. They really make a difference, huh? I’m in the throes of deciding my race schedule. I see many more trail races in my year ahead. I miss the woods. Xoxo

8. Rebecca Jo says:

I need to check out those shoes!
    I got my Lilly Trotters in the mail & havent tried them yet – but that will change this weekend – I CANT WAIT!

Welcome back, lady! So nice to see you. You’re looking pretty fly in those Lily Trotters! I missed the boat on the Kickstarter campaign so I only have the original sample pair Susan sent me. Gotta get some more!

Thanks, lady! The LTs might work really well for you in that case. The material is different…I normally have a really tough time getting socks on too and these are no trouble at all. (Yet somehow the compression is just as good if not better.)

10. OmniRunner says:

Welcome back. I haven’t written a post since Dec. 14th! No New Year’s look backs or resolutions and no race reviews. I am running, but feeling generally lazy!
    Andy

• OmniRunner says:

I’ve spent all of my time working on my micro business and that demands all of my “spare” energy and time. I just don’t have the energy or time left over to write.

11. Marie -France Gozzo says:

Hello again!! I’m totally with you about compression socks. I started wearing them after long runs this summer as I trained for the Bay State marathon and realized how great I felt. I could run 12 miles in the morning and be on my feet all afternoon working at the local farm stand and my legs felt great! Since then I pretty much wear them all the time- regardless of whiter people mighty think it’s an odd look- and like you, I really love my my Lily Trotters!

12. Sam @ See Sam Run says:

So happy that you’re back and doing well! My spring schedule is looking pretty light as I get ready for my move to MARYLAND WOOHOO! My internships are going well and the job prospects are already coming up. It’s going to be a great year for the both of us!

That sounds spectacular! We haven’t had even a trace of snow here yet, but I would love to try a trail run in it when it happens! (I was literally in a sports bra during my one last weekend. That’s how warm it has still been here.)

It has seriously been unreal. I went out with a long sleeved tech shirt on and a light jacket. Put my jacket in a tree at the half mile mark and tied my shirt around my waist at 2 miles. My friend had steam coming off him hahaha. It felt so awesome out there though! (And definitely much colder now!)

You are just snakebit by the marathon at the moment. I’m snakebit in the aftermath. With our powers combined… we are worthless, but we can train (well, as soon as we get over our injuries). So yes, I do have races on the schedule and no, I’m likely not doing any of them.
    I still haven’t decided what to do about Boston. It is less than 100 days away.

I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if you had made a decision on that yet. 😦 How have you been feeling lately? I’ve been such a crappy friend and I should have checked in. I’m sorry you’re still dealing with the BS. 😦

14. Alanna says:

I couldn’t agree more with “you just don’t NOT run outside in shorts and a tank top on Christmas Eve.” I actually had a cold, but I still had to get in a short run because the weather was too amazing not to. I got a pair of Lily Trotters with the lotus design too and they are so cute! You totally got me hooked! 🙂

Welcome back!! I just wore my Lilytrotters to work at the hospital last night!! I need to check out the ones with the bow!!

16. Ange says:

I also LOVE Hokas but didn’t love my Cliftons – I gave them to my mom.
    I hope you bought 3576513 pairs so you’re covered when you can’t find them anymore 😉