NCR Marathon Training Week 8: I promise Week 7 actually happened too.

I’m just going to come out and say it…I have been kind of a train wreck lately. Life hasn’t been particularly wonderful to me and now I’m trying to refocus my energy. I won’t bore you with any icky details, but at least two things have remained constantly good: my awesome kiddo who loves me so much that sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve her and marathon training. At first I was on the fence about signing up for a big fall race, but now I’m so glad I did. Without the training to focus on, I feel like I might be a lot worse off than I am.

Anyway, Week 7 went just fine and week 8 went even better albeit the fact that I ran on the treadmill more than was probably necessary. It was my biggest mileage week since right around New Jersey. The amount of stressed out I am usually corresponds directly with my mileage total. Here’s how it all shaped up:

Monday, September 14: 3 easy miles on the treadmill and about half of a BodyPump class.

Tuesday, September 15: One of the highlights of my week: my first intervals since the middle of the summer! Half mile warm up, 6×400’s with recovery at 7:17 overall pace, and a half mile cool down.

Wednesday, September 16: 7 miles on the treadmill. I told you it was a lot of treadmill this week. This run was solid and I was pretty proud of myself for getting it knocked out before I had to be at work.

Thursday, September 17: 4 miles (treadmill yet again) and then another half of a BodyPump class. It kind of sucks that I can only stay for the first part during the week, but at least I get to escape before lunges. The only thing I hate more than lunges is burpees. And bacon.

Friday, September 18: My regularly scheduled rest day.

Saturday, September 19:

12049524_1067717583240644_8243394328068736925_n

Foot selfie of epic proportions! This was my 12 mile long run with three super great friends and hanging with them on the trail that day was perfect for my soul. I laughed and smiled so much that not only did my legs hurt afterward, but my face kind of did too. Smiling and laughing and running rocks. I need more of all three of those things in my life.

Sunday, September 20: I FINALLY got to take an entire BodyPump class, but before that I ran 2 miles and then followed the class up with 2 more miles on the treadmill. This was definitely a workout combination that I want to try again.

Total Mileage: 34
Grade: A

My main focus this week is a half marathon on Saturday, but I also want to work on being a more relaxed person in general. More happy, less worry. Not only will that be better for me in the long run, but for everyone else around me too. This sounds like something that I’ve said before (on here and in real time), but it’s about time I really took action on it.

Do you tend to run or work out more often when you’re in a funk? When was the last time you had a great group run?

I hope everyone has had a great start to their week!

14 thoughts on “NCR Marathon Training Week 8: I promise Week 7 actually happened too.

1. Jamie says:

Funks are the worst, and can be so hard to shake… it’s definitely taken me a little bit to get out of my last one (hence blogging hiatus) but I have no doubt you’ll be back in no time. Hope you have a fabulous Monday 🙂

2. Run Colby Run says:

There is nothing worse than a funk. I distinctly remember going through mine right after my then husband left me and I tried furiously to put the pieces back together and make sense out of what happened. In the process got laid off. Worst time of my life. Stress. With a side of stress. However, it is at that time that I found running. Or I should say it found me. Stay the course, Lady. I’m sorry you’re in a funk. There is a light. It’s just a little dim right now. It will shine brighter than you ever knew possible in due time. I promise. xoxo

3. afastpacedlife says:

Hugs, Salt, I know things are tough-going right now, but there is an end and you’ll get through in one piece. For every tough day that you get through, that’s one less day until the end. That’s always been my mantra when I’m in hard times.

Sending love your way, lady! Hope things improve for you soon. I tend to run less when I’m in a funk. I just get down and lazy and eat all the things. Your coping mechanism seems much more healthy and productive! I haven’t had a group run in almost two months! I’ve been so busy with the show and then pig roast and then Spartan and now next weekend is the Color Run, which I guess will sort of count. Whee!

5. aliceruns says:

I hope better times are coming to you! (And I wish that for myself as well). It is great you are still able to follow your training. It is very hard to stay feeling blessed and grateful during the hard times but you are rocking it! I don’t know many people with so much inner strength that you have.

6. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

First off, great job with your training this week…so important to keep being active when things are great….that was me last year and right now things are a little stressful than normal. Be true to yourself, take care of yourself and be kind to yourself.

7. SuzLyfe (@suzlyfe) says:

Great training! I’m pretty spoiled by having amazing group runs with my trainees, Some runs are better than others, obviously, but they really do turn my day around. I hope that you can get a handle on all the craziness around you–at least you’ve got the Betty Boo to help with that (as well as adding to it, I”m sure!).
    And I’m always, always here. Love you!!

Sadly I haven’t been on a group run in a long time. Most of my mileage has been logged on the treadmill. In fact I did 20 miles on the mill yesterday…uggh. Ready for training to be over. SOrry you have been having a hard time, thank goodness for little ones who’s smile can light up the world. Hugs. xoxox