NCR Marathon Training Week 6: Racing While Training Part 1

This week my focus was on taking it easy in the days leading up to the Charles Street 12, also known as something that I had been looking forward to the same way that almost everyone else I know looks forward to Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

pumpkin-spice-everything

Fun fact about me: I loathe pumpkin and pumpkin flavored absolutely anything. Don’t hate. More for you guys.

So let’s get down to non-pumpkin flavored business:

Monday, August 31: Body Pump. Nothing spectacular, but I can finally feel the chest track getting easier. It’s nice not feeling like I’m going to cry or throw up for those 4 minutes of class.

Tuesday, September 1: 3 miles on a hilly neighborhood route. One thing I don’t love about where I live is that there is literally one route I could take out of my house that is not completely uphill for the first mile and it just so happens to be my least favorite. Regardless this was a good-feeling run with negative splits. Probably because I was hauling down a hill on the way back.

Wednesday, September 2: Plan said 6, but I kept it to 5 and I did this on the treadmill with the speed set at the pace I hoped to achieve on Saturday. I made a note in my Believe journal that I probably shouldn’t hold my breath, but in the end I actually came pretty close to making it happen!

Thursday, September 3: 3 miles on the treadmill again, followed by Body Pump class where I backed off on my squat weight a little bit to give my legs a rest. My hamstring was feeling pretty good!

Friday, September 4: Some core work, but otherwise I rested my legs.

Saturday, September 5: CHARLES STREET 12!! There are a couple things I wish had gone a little better, but overall I am SO SO SO happy with how this race went! My legs didn’t hate me nearly as much as I thought they would for the rest of the day either.

Sunday, September 6: 3 mile slow recovery run on the treadmill. At first my quads were angry about it, but then I felt so much better. Also 25 minutes on the elliptical.

Total Mileage: 26.
Grade: A.

During week 7 my mileage takes a big leap. Tuesday and Thursday 3 milers become 4 milera. The Wednesday 6 miler goes up to 7. Saturday I’m attempting 14 which will be my longest run since April. Then we are attending a wedding on Saturday night so it looks like heels with my dress are out if I am interested in being able to move around at all. Which I am because weddings are fun and this one is going to have a penguin at the reception because my friend is getting married at the zoo.

Do you like working races into your training? How do you feel about pumpkin?

I know you have my back on the pumpkin spice thing, Sara. 🙂 Don’t get me wrong…I love everything else about fall!

26 thoughts on “NCR Marathon Training Week 6: Racing While Training Part 1

I love TJ’s Pumpkin O’s, I love pumpkin and pumpkin spice, but I also think that everything has its place. IN THE PROPER SEASON. That said, I’ve already started the pumpkin O’s, but they don’t really taste like pumpkin spice, in their defense. Great job this week!

I am not a fan of pumpkin either! You are right- more for everyone else!
    Nice job this week…I enjoy adding raced into my training, it keeps things interesting!
    But now I am ready for a few weeks away from racing while I build my mileage.

3. Jamie says:

I love using races (specifically halfs) as tune ups for my full marathons. Helps me get in race mode/practice fueling, and get rid of any pesky nerves starting to creep up! And it helps me remember how to run fast 🙂

Kicking butt and taking NAMES! I’m a little upset about the pumpkin thing, but I’m not going to let it affect our friendship. Oh, and take lots of pictures of the zoo wedding!!

I love pumpkin flavored stuff, but more I love authentic pumpkin stuff … but either way I find this seasonal obsession to be eye-rollingly over-the-top (but not as bad as the ‘red cup’ nuttery coming soon). 🙂

Great week in training and continue to love all of your updates and pics on FB & IG!

6. tunderholmes says:

I feel you on the pumpkin spice lattes, but I am a sucker for a pumpkin beer. Great job on #Chuck12. I love peppering a couple of races into a training cycle. I love the race atmosphere, and it really seems to break up a monotonous-feeling stretch with a little bit of excitement and change of scenery.

7. afastpacedlife says:

You know I’m big into having races during my training. If I couldn’t I wouldn’t be able to last at all. Races are good for race day simulations, and doing hard training runs. You’re doing grrrreat!!!

8. wendyistakingthelongwayhome says:

Thank you for admitting that you loathe pumpkin. That would be me too. So the haters can hate on both of us!

I’ve got a half marathon this weekend, and I like to throw one in my marathon training, just to help me get my head in the game for racing. It helps remind me how to get a grip on my nerves.

definitely love incorporating races into training! breaks up the monotony. aaaaaand, pumpkin. Hmm. I like pumpkin muffins and pumpkin seeds but do not need everything fall flavored with it. I do not get excited about pumpkin spice lattes – just get me medium regular. Gah! Great work this week – and the chest track is turning into one of my favorites in Body Pump!!

10. klregan says:

You and I are running marathons in the same week! I can’t wait to hear how it goes. I really like racing while training, but not too much. I’ll usually do one race to prep for a goal race.

11. Hanna @ TheMillennialNextDoor says:

Nice job!! I can take pumpkin or leave it. I actually love pumpkin scented candles and jack-o-lanterns but I’m not wild about pumpkin flavored stuff. It’s just kinda meh to me.

I love to race while training for a marathon – it’s bascially a free dress rehearsal for the race and training runs at your goal pace don’t give you that kind of practice. I wouldn’t run a marathon without a tune up race in my training. However, last cycle I did way too many (3 half marathons!), and this winter/Spring when I’m training for my next full, I will likely only do one half and maybe one shorter distance like a 15K.

Congrats on your race!

Um I’ll take all the pumpkin spice please. I went into Giant the other day and they had a wall of it. 😍. I like working races into training, as long as it makes sense. A 5K when I need to run 10 doesn’t make sense. Last winter signing up for a few races made those long cold runs more doable, especially since I was training for the half alone for the first time.

13. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Pumpkin seems to be one of those things where you either love it or you hate it! I’m one of those people who loves it, so I am more than happy to take your share. 😉 I love racing as part of training! It’s always such a good motivation booster for me, so I try to squeeze races in as much as possible.

14. Run Colby Run says:

The only time pumpkin spice is even moderately ok is in it’s damn season. FALL. I can’t deal with the thought of a PSL in cut offs and flip flops. It needs to be cold outside. Not 95 degrees with 84% humidity.

Well done, Salt!!! I miss my body pump. I’m too tired from the million miles I’m running to even consider it. 😦 I’ll live through you!

15. Alaina @ thesimplepeach says:

Races during training cycles help keep me on track and mix up my long runs! I’m pumpkin obsessed. #basicwhitegirl

I can’t stand pumpkin to be honest….kind of un-American I know. Last training cycle I worked many races into training, but not so much this year. I have a few over the next month before MCM though!