Race Recap: It wasn’t too hot to trot, but it sure was crazy humid!

Have you ever made the decision to run a race literally 7 hours beforehand?

That was me last weekend. At 12:30 am Sunday we had just finished watching a movie and I was about to head home when offhandedly I asked if I could borrow $2 because my run club was hosting a 10K in a few hours. Then I had to explain how insanely cheap it is for registration to their races if you’re a member. I love you, Baltimore Road Runners.

Fast forward what felt like about 15 minutes later and my alarm was going off. Armed with my 2 bucks and an enormous cup of coffee I headed to the NCR Trail at Sparks for the Too Hot to Trot 10K. I ran this race last year with my busted up foot. Contrary to what the name might suggest, it was not too hot to trot on that particular Sunday. Actually it was downright cool and when I first walked outside the other day I thought maybe we were going to luck out again.

There was a pretty standard turnout for a BRRC event with nearly 110 runners in the field. I paid my fee and headed down to the trail to warm up. It was definitely not too hot, but it was HUMID. I was sweating after only running a half mile.

2H2T is an out and back from the Sparks trail head almost all the way down to Paper Mill if you are familiar with the area, which most of you probably aren’t. It’s rail trail so pretty flat with packed dirt and gravel. This is also the trail that I will be running my marathon on in November and I’ll jump at any chance I can get to train there. I exchanged good luck wishes with my friend as the air horn blared and we were on our way just a little past the posted start time of 7:30 am. My goal for this race was to not pay too much attention to my pace and run however I was comfortable. I finished up my first mile in 7:15.

BRRC is full of some very fast folks and people took off quickly in the beginning. Until the other runners started to reach the turnaround point, I had no idea how many were up ahead of me. Mile 2 was uneventful. I paced myself behind one guy who I would actually end up following until around mile 5. Things were going consistently. My watch beeped 7:16.

During my third mile the leaders passed me going in the opposite direction and it was the men I would have expected to see out in front. It’s usually the same guys every time. Then one very fast woman who I see out at a lot of races went cruising by. My watch signaled mile 3 (7:17) and I could see the turnaround point up ahead. There was another woman who had been way out ahead of me at the start, but I had been gaining on her and as she rounded the cone I could see that she was the only other woman in front of me which was a very pleasant surprise. I hit the turn and shortly after that passed my friend who told me to “GO GET ‘EM!” I was starting to feel a little exhausted so it gave me a great extra boost. Mile 4: 7:15. Still consistent.

That’s  where things started to fall apart a little bit, but luckily the same thing seemed to be happening to other people too. I passed the woman in 2nd place during mile 5  (7:24) and then I was too afraid to look over my shoulder to see if there was anyone else nearby. I was completely focused on holding on to second place. So focused that apparently I ran right by my friend who was out on the trail doing mile repeats and didn’t even see him.

Mile 6 (7:28) was a blur and I practically shouted for joy when I saw the time clock come into view; obviously because I was done, but also I could tell that I was going to PR! My time:

44:35

More than a minute off my previous 10K PR and I held on to second place. The woman who won was ahead of me by about 3 minutes. She’s amazing.

And I wished I had had a towel with me to dry off. I was SO sweaty and disgusting.

I absolutely love the woman who was the RD for this race. When she is in charge everything is so well organized and she always has such a great spread of refreshments set up for the runners. She even makes awards for the top finishers and I was so proud and happy to take one home!

11866286_10153138354090028_2207598420600789653_n

THANK YOU!!

I know I’ve said this over and over again on here, but BRRC races are just the best. Well organized, the field is normally small and so friendly, and the courses are always great (I LOVE running on the trail!) They have a great calendar on their website that lists all their events so if you can ever make it out for one I highly recommend it!

Especially if you were thinking about a fun fall marathon! The NCR Trail Marathon is the Baltimore Road Runners’ signature event! (And there’s a price increase on the 31st, so if you want to run with me sign up NOW!)

Have you ever made a last minute decision to run a race? Do you love the 10K distance as much as I do?

38 thoughts on “Race Recap: It wasn’t too hot to trot, but it sure was crazy humid!

Congrats girl! You rocked that race!! I haven’t had too much success with the 10k distance in racing but I do like it anyway. I just need to get a little better at pacing for it. Your splits were pretty fantastic – especially for a super humid day!! I will check out the list of BRRC races to see what they’ve got! I’m not too far to take a little trip down there 🙂

I just wish I had been able to hold on to that pace at the end, but I was definitely running out of steam. I’m so happy with how it turned out though! Thank you, my dear! You have a free place to crash if you come down!

Great race and congrats on your new 10k PR! I’ve decided a few days before a race to participate but never a few hours before. I love your spontaneity! Sounds like it was the right decision 🙂

3. rundoodlerun says:

Fantastic job! Congrats on that PR!! Spontaneous races really are the best. No time to think or worry, just time to run 🙂

Sunday was about the most perfect day for a summer race – the humidity was a bit much, but the cooler air made such a huge difference for me during the race. I added on a few miles afterwards and it got so hot so quickly later in the morning.

Congrats on your race too! You totally annihilated your goal! 🙂
      The temperature really was perfection on Sunday. Totally lucky considering how nasty it all got on Monday!

4. Jamie says:

Ah 10Ks are tough! You’re an absolute inspiration for running in the heat like that! I love local races – the post race treats are the absolute best. Which is why we run right? Haha.

5. Ange says:

I need to do some research to see if Calgary has an amazing run club like yours. Every time I read a recap I get super jealous because it sounds so freaking amazing!!

6. Run Colby Run says:

That’s my girl!!!! And I needed to read your post BEFORE I bagged on my tempo run early this morning and turned it into just a regular-humid-as-hell-run. My legs did not have it. Tomorrow, Friend, I will channel your kick ass run!! Well done!! Lovin’ the two-buck race. 🙂 I need to get down there. Congrats! xoxo

Yes. Yes you do. 🙂 THANK YOU!!! And with all the work you’ve been putting in lately you need to give yourself a break.You are an awesome rock star and I ❤ you.

7. Alanna says:

Great job! I do like the 10k race. It’s long enough that it’s challenging, but doesn’t require the training time of a half. I’ve decided to run a race a few days before, but not a few hours before. $2 is an amazing deal though.

You are so awesome! Congrats on a great run and an awesome PR! I was just thinking that I would like to tackle another 10k soon. It is a great distance. I have definitely thrown myself into a race at the last minute. Right now I am contemplating a trail half in about 3 weeks. I’m not sure if my body will be ready for it but I am thinking yes and my mom offered to babysit so we can both do it.

9. Jennifer says:

As wickedly cool as that PR is, I have to admit, my favorite part of the post if the $2 you borrowed and the enormous cup of coffee. You very seriously rock Salt.

10. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

Congrats on a new 10K PR and a great race!! Out and bank races can be mentally challenging (or maybe I just feel that way since I always go out too fast and therefore lose ground on the second half 😉) but it sounds like you stayed mentally tough through the second half and came away with a 2nd place finish to show for it! Great job!!