“The human torch was denied a bank loan…”

tumblr_lq993tvAgd1qduy16o1_400

Time to start practicing my regional dialect because guess what, “hon”?

I’m going to be on live TV tomorrow morning. LIVE. TV. As in no do-overs. I promise not to call anyone “hon”, I do wish I had a teleprompter.

About a month ago I was nervous out of my mind because I had to do a taped Kickstarter video where I could make as many mistakes as I wanted and they could edit out all of my awkwardness. Even with all the editing there was still SO much awkward; watching myself makes me cringe a little bit. Now I’ve agreed to speak to someone on live television where there will be no editing.

I have no idea WTF I was thinking.

Over the next less-than-24-hours I will be trying to prepare for a segment that should last no longer than 3 or 4 minutes, but I’m sure it will feel like a decade. Without giving away too many details I am going to be talking about a food product and recipes that I feel very comfortable endorsing, but even that is not doing a lot to calm my nerves. I feel like I have gawky conversations all day long with people when there’s not a camera pointed at my face. This could be a recipe for disaster.

Or it might be awesome. Let’s just hope it’s awesome.

I’ll have a link to share after the whole thing is through and if it all works out maybe I’ll post it. If not it will be stored into the archive of embarrassing moments from my life never to be spoken of again like that time a pair of my underwear flew across the room at yoga class because it was stuck to my mat towel.

ani-jane_lynch-thumbs_up

Have you ever been on television? Any pointers you can pass along? And even more importantly…how many times have YOU seen Anchorman!? It has to be upwards of 200 times for me.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

23 thoughts on ““The human torch was denied a bank loan…”

Anchorman is the best movie ever. And yay for being on TV! I may have a chance to do a TV segment in a few weeks for Chess. Probably not live, though, thank god! Good luck!

When in Rome, Lauren.

That sounds so fun! I would just treat it like any public speaking thing – which would automatically make me super awkward. Hope it goes well!

3. allisonfiorini says:

I was on live TV several times surrounding the 2013 Boston Marathon. The year after the race, our local network did a series on me and a few friends running the 2014, following us through our training and they actually came to Boston and filmed us crossing the finish line. Talk about pressure to actually run a decent time…and look decent enough to be on TV immediately after finishing a marathon! The anchor had me on the set this year for the Saturday morning spot to cover the race and what it was like this year. It’s so scary because you have no idea what they are going to ask, and sometimes I can be a bit wordy so I get really nervous for these things! Couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Anchorman – love it!! Good luck!

4. Jamie says:

So exciting!!! You’re going to be famous!!! I’ve never been on TV, but as my boyfriend can attest I am always looking for ways to get famous 🙂 Haha. Good luck and I am sure you will do awesome!!

5. Corinne says:

You’re going to be great! I hope you post the link to view the segment!

I’ve been on TV once for sure…..but I had my back to the camera. You’ll appreciate this story 🙂 It was a Ravens game way back in December 2005 and I had borrowed a “World Champions 2002” custom leather jacket from a regular at the bar I worked in to wear for the game. I was buying hot chocolate and when I started to turn around, a camera guy said “Wait, don’t move!!!” About two minutes later he said “Okay, you can move. By the way, you were just on national TV before a commercial break.”

6. Tiffany says:

It’s going to be awesome! I’ve seen some showbiz lay-people be super awkward through the years on live TV. Unless you develop a disorder and just start shouting random things violently, people will pay more attention to the product or topic of the segment than they will any awkwardness of which you’re self-aware. Don’t forget to have fun, and don’t take yourself too seriously!

7. Sam @ See Sam Run says:

Good luck good luck! I know you’ll do great and I can’t wait to see it! Just make sure to stay classy 😛
    I LOVE ANCHORMAN. I’ve seen it countless times. It’s one of my favorites!

8. Kerrie says:

Good luck! Under pressure I lose my big girl words so I’d be speaking slower then usual (not so slow people think I’m on drugs) just to make sure I don’t a) come out with rubbish b)swear accidently 😉 have fun and enjoy 😊

9. Alanna says:

So exciting! Good luck! I was on the news several years back when I worked at this cupcake shop in DC. Thankfully the owner did the talking and I just had to make the cupcakes, but I was nervous as hell. I laughed at myself so much when I saw the video. It was over very quickly. I’m sure that you’ll do great! I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Anchorman…love it!

10. wendyistakingthelongwayhome says:

I’m sure you will do great!

I had my moment on the news about 15 years ago, when my youngest was a subject in a research study for a new eczema medication. Because he was adorable, the doctor asked us to be in her interview. She was a pro, having been interviewed a million times before. I was a wreck and I had bad hair that day. Of course. Funny thing is, no one noticed any of that. People were excited that we were on the news!

11. Change of Pace says:

That’s awesome! I hope it went well! (Although I’m sure it did!)
    I have an intense fear of public speaking although my career is public relations. I’m just really good at finding subject matter experts to do the talking 🙂

Last night I had to give a little video testimonial at the gym. Total deer in the headlights moment. It was only like 20 seconds but I felt like I was babbling away. So I definitely admire you doing a live tv segment – that takes guts!

I’m sure you did wonderfully and can’t wait to see the link and find out what food and recipes you’re recommending 🙂

Oh boy, I would DIE if I had to be on television one day! I hate being recorded and I’ve always had stagefright. I freeze up, my mind goes blank, and I panic. I know this already happened so I hope it went well!
    Also, Anchorman is awesome! And all I know is that I haven’t seen it ENOUGH times lol