Because I’m all about the swag. {The Friday Five}

MY INTERNET IS WORKING!!!!

giphy

Sorrynotsorry…I hate this show. Good gif though.

I’m so happy to be back online. Ever since NanaSalt moved in and the internet was switched over, my access has been spotty at best. Well after some well-placed words with the fine people at Comcast, it seems that things are back in working order.

Just in time for THE FRIDAY FIVE with Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney!

DC_linkup

Today’s topic?

swag

Also…I have a confession to make and I don’t even care how stupid it makes me look…but honestly I had no idea that SWAG was an acronym until today. Enormous FAIL.

Anyway, race swag. I love it. I’ve run races with some pretty good swag. I’ve run races where I didn’t even get a tee shirt and I promise I’m not even the least bit still bitter about that. At all. I would never judge an event solely on what they give away, but it is nice to have a take-home that I will at least use again at some point. Especially with some races being a wee bit on the expensive side.

Here are my top 5 favorite races as far as the swag is concerned….

1. The Baltimore Running Festival

Highlight: Consistently badass finisher medals.

photo 3

IMG_8977

I LOVE me a good medal. For the past two years I’ve run the Baltimore Half and they certainly do not disappoint in that department. Bonus for last year’s medal? The claw can double as a bottle opener.

A corkscrew would be more useful to me, but whatever.

The shirts they give out for the event are very nice too; Under Armour Heat Gear long sleeved tech tees. I wear mine regularly when it’s not 100+ degrees outside.

2. Sole of the City 10K

Hightlight: This rockin’ UA jacket.

photo-1-1

I can only speak for the premium in 2014 because I did not do this race last year, but this Under Armour jacket is probably my favorite item of clothing I have ever received from a race. Ever.

When they first handed it to me I was a little bummed because it was April and I thought that I wouldn’t have a lot of time to enjoy wearing anything that felt so warm. Well surprise…it stayed freezing until like June. Basically I’ve worn this a lot, both while running and just otherwise. Bonus…thumbholes. I love thumbholes.

3. The B3 Race Series

Hightlight: The world’s best gym bag.

unnamed

Last year I participated in Charm City Run’s B3 Race Series which consisted of three races: the St. Patrick’s Day 5K, Sole of the City 10K, and the Charles Street 12. The premium for running these? A bag so ginormous that when they handed it to me I immediately assumed that it would end up in the back of my closet because when would I ever need a backpack that huge?

Answer? ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

This bag is my gym bag now. It has about a million pockets, holds all the random crap I carry around with me on a daily basis and basically I don’t know what I’d do without it.

4. The New Jersey Marathon

Highlight: Big Jersey bling.

IMG_5565

I was kind of expecting whatever medal they gave me in Jersey to be a little over the top and the marathon finisher medal this year was pretty huge. It’s easily the biggest medal on my rack. And it’s the only one that spins. Betty is pretty obsessed with it. Thanks for not disappointing me, New Jersey.

Downside to this race? The shirt was terrible. The material was great, but if I’ve just run a marathon I prefer my shirt to announce in big huge letters somewhere that I’ve just run a marathon. If you squint at this one there is a little line that says something about “marathon & half” blah blah blah. Whatever. I ended up purchasing a second shirt that would make it a lot easier for me to brag without saying any actual words.

5. The Color Run

Highlight: Headbands, temp tattoos, a shirt, color packets, and for Shine tour there was a super cute finisher medal.

IMG_6477

She was way more thrilled to be wearing it than she appears in this photo.

I know a lot of people aren’t into themey kinds of runs, but overall The Color Run really does give you the biggest bang for your buck as far as race swag is concerned.

I also would like to mention here that they are coming back yet again to Baltimore on September 5th at 7:30pm with their very first NIGHT RUN and I’m an Ambassador for the third time!

If you want to join me I have a discount code yet again (BALTIMORE3) and I also started a team that is aptly named “BAD DYE JOB” if you’ve seen my roots lately. I hope to see some of you there!

And that about does it. As I said earlier I’m busy making my list of races for the fall and I’m excited to see what kind of cool stuff I’ll get to take home.

I hope all of you have had a wonderful week and a fun weekend planned ahead! I’ve missed you guys!

44 thoughts on “Because I’m all about the swag. {The Friday Five}

I didn’t know swag was an acronym until I read it here! Thanks for telling me something new 🙂 I love that B3 race series gave you a gym bag. That’s an awesome piece of swag.

Man, so many races have such cool swag, but I feel like I get the short end of the stick in VT. Lots of races, not a lot of freebies. Not even a lot of medals.

Only the really big races around here have finisher medals. Even many of the mid-sized ones don’t! We have been pretty lucky with cool clothing articles around this area though. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that UA is a local company.

3. Janine @travelrunlive says:

Ok, I seriously had no idea swag was an acronymn either. Where have I been all this time? Anyway, I think you have gotten some of the best swag I have ever seen. Jackets and backpacks, sign me up!

4. Mrs_AimeeC says:

My son has that UA backpack. It is SO SO SO good. Most backpacks don’t make it through a school year – his is holding strong and he uses it for school plus hauling a basketball and lunch every day.

5. tunderholmes says:

I don’t know how I never stumbled upon your blog before today, but now I’m obsessed. I also never knew about that SWAG acronym, but now I’m going to tell everyone I know. And I can’t wait to run some of these races this year, hoping that the SWAG is as awesome in 2015 as in years past.

Hey lady!! I’m so glad you found me on here!! 😀
      I’m sure the BRF especially is going to have some awesome stuff for us. We need to meet up at a race one of these days!!

6. Running 'N' Reading says:

I love that NJ Marathon medal; it looks really cool! And a UA backpack at a race?!? What the hell? That’s some awesome swag, if you ask me! You really scored on that one! Hope you have a great weekend, L!

It’s one of my favorites! Big, blingy and spinny! That backpack is enough to make me want to do B3 again next year! (I wanted to this year, but the 10K was too close to my marathon.)

I had no idea swag was an acronym! I have to go to your blog to get my learning on 🙂 That backpack is awesome. There is some seriously great stuff to be had at races.

8. Amy @ Running on Faith and Coffee says:

I have a medal that also serves as a bottle opener, and like you, a corkscrew would have been much more useful to me. Not that I would use either one really…the medals all hang on my display..but ya know…lol
    Great assortment of swag…and now you know what SWAG means 🙂

9. ilkasblog says:

Nice medals. The backpack is a cool (swag😉), too. I wouldn’t mind that. I had to laugh when I read the Jersey shirt was pretty much useless. My shirt from the Long Island Marathon was the same way. Marathon and Half Marathon shared the same shirt. Weird.

10. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

I love the jacket idea.! Especially for a 10k. That’s pretty sweet
    You’ve gotten some pretty cool swag.!!

11. lacey@fairytalesandfitness says:

I know the focus should be the medals but I really like your nails:) I think it’s great when races offer jackets instead of just the race shirts for registering. And receiving a backpack for a completing a series is awesome!

Had no idea swag could be used as an acronym! But then again I don’t know what a lot of terms mean and have no desire to look most of them up haha. I’ve never gotten any race swag besides t-shirts and medals, which is totally fine with me, but what I would give for a backpack like that! I’m a little bit of an overpacked when it comes to bringing things with me on race day, so that would come in handy!:)