Workout Roundup {June 29 – July 5, 2015}

I feel like such a slacker on here lately. So much has been going on over here between GrandMamaSalt moving in, work stress, Betty, and other life things (good and bad, but mostly good) and I have been missing the outlet that this place gives me. I have, however, been pretty decent at keeping up with my workouts despite not having a whole lot of free time.

Let’s face it. Time has to be made. Without the exercise I would probably have completely lost my mind by now.

Monday, June 29: 5 miles on the treadmill (7:53 pace). Normally I would also go to BodyPump on Monday morning, but I went to class on Sunday instead and my rear end simply did not have any more squats left in it.

Tuesday, June 30: Unintentional rest. This day?

91eff870-dcce-0132-462c-0ebc4eccb42f

Pretty much the worst day I’ve had in awhile. I wasn’t feeling a workout at all by the time 5pm rolled around. Instead I went out to dinner and relaxed.

Wednesday, July 1: 5 humid, disgusting, glorious, and most importantly PAIN FREE miles (7:26 pace). As much as Tuesday sucked, that rest day did a world of good for my Achilles and I had no soreness to speak of the entire time. I threw in some abs for good measure in the evening.

Thursday, July 2: 4 treadmill miles and BodyPump class. Another pain-free run that felt so easy even though I was pushing the pace pretty hard so that I wouldn’t be late for class.

Friday, July 3: OH THANK GOD I HAD THE DAY OFF. I asked Betty if she would like to play at the gym and even though my original intent was not to run, I ended up doing 6x400s with a mile warm up and cool down. My run intervals were set to the fastest speed I’ve ever gone on a treadmill which seems like progress to me.

I was a little sore afterward so I spent a lot of time stretching and by the afternoon things were back to normal.

Saturday, July 4: Happy birthday, America! This was a busy day. Betty went to her dad’s for the weekend and I had a whole day of doing absolutely nothing ahead of me before going to see fireworks in the evening. I love my daughter more than anything in the world, but this was not such a terrible thing.

I started off the day at the gym with 30 minutes on the Arc trainer to loosen up my leg. Then I followed that with a group run at Charm City Run. It was a choose your own adventure kind of event with a 3, 4, or 5 mile option. I went with the 5 and was running with a couple of guys for awhile until the one who was leading us peeled off and we were left to our own devices. This was around mile 2.5 and according to the directions, there was definitely NOT 2.5 miles left. More like a half a mile; I run those roads all the time. I was all set to keep going and because I know the neighborhood, I was suddenly leading the run by default.

Sorry about all the hills. Not really. I love those hills.

IMG_8129

It was raining for most of the time we were out there, but I had a fantastic time on this run, even when  I saw a small child sporting the same patriotic Hello Kitty shirt that I was wearing. About 10 minutes after I got back to the store, the skies completely opened up and it POURED.

So as I said, I had no plans until later and there was apparently a BodyPump class at 12:30. I went back to the gym but it ended up being canceled and I couldn’t stand to be at the gym for no reason. So I ended up logging 3 more miles on the treadmill giving me a total of 8 for the day.

Then that night I got the best ride ever to see the fireworks.

11695871_10153050057960028_5498507224805014448_n

On a firetruck. Win.

Sunday, July 5: The Tour de France started last weekend and what better way to celebrate that then a nice little bike ride on the trail? 24 sweaty, humid miles on the trail. Followed by all the pasta in the world so basically I completely negated my workout with carbs.

Weekly Totals: 27 on my feet, 24 on my bike.

Good stuff. I always like to set a little goal for myself at the beginning of each new week and this week my goal is HAPPINESS. I’m stressed and even after having a long weekend, I still feel like I could use a month long vacation. I have so much positivity in my life right now and I’m just trying to focus on those things. As long as I have my running shoes (and my Betty!) everything else should fall into place.

Speaking of Betty, last night she asked me if we could take a selfie.

11703356_10153054145490028_5434503613407714146_n

Threenager? I love her.

I hope everyone had a marvelous holiday weekend and a great start to your week!

Did you guys see fireworks? Any races last weekend? Tell me about them!

25 thoughts on “Workout Roundup {June 29 – July 5, 2015}

1. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Solid week! I’m in awe of your ability to squeeze workouts in with a full-time job and cute little Betty 🙂 sounds like you had a great 4th of July, although I’m totally wondering how you scored a ride on a fire truck! 😉

2. Jamie says:

Way to make yourself a priority! I can only imagine how hard it is to juggle and balance everything these days but you are truly doing an incredible job! And fireworks on a firetruck.. so awesome! I caught mine at the beach which wasn’t too shabby either : ) Have a fantastic day!

3. aliceruns says:

Looks like a busy week for you! Well done. Glad to hear you managed to get some pain-free running done. I hope for more of that for you!
    Betty looks cute and cheerful as always!

Yay for no pain! I was still out on the road when the skies opened up on Saturday – it felt good though. I wish I had brought a hat. Exercise is such a stress reliever, when you have a bad day you can just leave it on the pavement. As Elle Woods once said, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don’t kill their husbands (or anyone else). They just don’t.”

5. ChasingOliviaCrew says:

Love the hello kitty shirt – and hilarious that a small child showed up wearing the same thing 🙂 I’m in Wk 5 of training for an october marathon and feeling strong. excited to fall more in love with running!

6. Alanna says:

I’m glad that you are making time to get your workouts even in with all of the stress. I know running makes me feel better. I love the hello kitty shirt! Keep trying to focus on the positive.

7. allisonfiorini says:

Great job this week! Glad to hear your achilles is pain free – I must have missed that somewhere – don’t scare me like that! That was my issue since January and I STILL feel little tweaks every so often. ICK! I did a 15K on the 4th!! I heard lots of fireworks but I was already cuddled up on my couch by that time! I’m so lame!

8. ambertherunner says:

Hooray for faster speedwork! Definitely progress 🙂
    Who leaves a group mid-run? Tsk tsk on him.
    Anyway- I love your “goal for the week” idea. & happiness is a pretty great one, I’m glad you can see everything that’s worth smiling about, especially after a rough Tuesday. We all have days where it feels like the world is against us. -_- Makes us appreciate the good days even more though, right?

9. Jess@Flying Feet In Faith says:

I was reading myself in so much of this post. Work stress. Family stress. It’s been REAL here and my blogging sporadic. But running saves me. I love my boy but mommas need their time! I ran a 10k for the 4th! Humid but fun.

10. Chocolaterunsjudy says:

It actually sounds like a good week . . . running wise, anyway. Pain free is always good!

No fireworks. A husband who doesn’t like crowds & a dog that doesn’t like noise keeps me at home. But a good race is better than fireworks. 😉 As is a chocolate PB dessert.

11. kiwiyogirunner says:

Aw so funny about the child wearing the same shirt as you! I have had that multiple times with my fave minion t shirt 😊 sounds like you got some great workouts in! I’ve also been feeling like I’ve been slacking on the ol’ blog- i miss it when I can’t post as much as i would like to though!
    Sooo cute that Betty wanted to take a selfie too, and what a smile! Love it 😊

You feel like a slacker?! Until yesterday, I think I went 2 weeks without posting…I’ve had a lot going on in life and just needed a lot more “me” time lately. But I still got workouts in too! Yay us!!! I love that you got to see the fireworks from a firetruck – FUN!! I got to watch fireworks from my friend’s apartment fire escape which was cool too 🙂 Also, love the Hello Kitty shirt and yay Betty selfie!!! ❤