Feeling like a Super Mom

The other night I needed to stop by the wine store before heading home because it had just been one of those days. I had Betty with me and before we went inside she asked me if she could request a lollipop from the man working there. I told her that of course she could. Good day at school and all that.

So as I went and picked out my wine, I heard my three year old approach the counter and ask in the sweetest little voice if she could please have a lollipop and that her mom had told her it was okay. My heart melted and then I nearly turned into a puddle of mommy pride when I joined her to pay and the clerk told me that I must be doing something right because she was the most well-mannered child he had ever seen in his store.

Telling me that my daughter is polite is one of the nicest compliments that anyone could ever give me. There’s just nothing compared to that kind of pride.

However, as of Sunday morning there is another compliment that I think I might like nearly as much.

At 8am Betty and I  armed ourselves with coffee, donuts and water to meet up with 6 other moms and 2 additional kiddos for our June Moms RUN This Town group run on the NCR Trail. We had perfect weather and just like the last time we all got together everyone was so friendly and in great spirits. Some of us decided to run 3 miles and others were going for 5 including a friend of mine who had her son in the only other jogger here. I had run with her last time and although I had never done more than a 5K with our stroller before I decided I was going to go for it.The trail is pretty flat so it would be a good place to test my abilities. Of course we had to grab a poor, unsuspecting girl who was out on a solo run to get a picture of our group:

MRTT June

Thanks for the great pic, random stranger!

There were lots of other people out that morning and as we ran along we received lots of smiles, waves, and comments on how cute our kids are. Betty was telling us stories that were making the miles fly by. Then there was a pair of women running past in the opposite direction and one of them called out,

“YOU LADIES ARE AMAZING!”

I don’t know about my friend, but it REALLY made my day.

Maybe it’s because I don’t typically run with the stroller, and maybe it’s because every time I see a mom or day out running with their child—or children because let’s face it…double strollers are EXTRA beastmode—I always think they are such a rock star. It’s hard work! And in that moment I felt like a total rock star myself, pushing 60+lbs at a pretty darn decent pace. I felt amazing; strong, confident, and so incredibly lucky to be out there with my best girl doing one of my most favorite things. Solo runs are awesome, but there’s something extra special about sharing the experience with Betty.

There are days when I feel like the worst parent on the planet. We get frustrated with each other. I don’t want to be one of those moms that yell, but unfortunately it happens from time to time. Sunday morning though? I felt like a super hero. Especially at the end when Betty called out “GREAT JOB, MOM!”

I wish I could bottle that feeling up and carry it around with me forever.

Does running ever make you feel like a super hero? If you’re a parent, do you run with your kid(s) in a stroller? What’s your favorite thing about it?

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

58 thoughts on “Feeling like a Super Mom

1. klregan says:

Whenever I see parents running with joggers I am always impressed. You really are a super hero running with 60 pounds of stroller and person!

2. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

There is nothing nicer than getting a sincere compliment about your child, especially when it’s about them being well mannered, considerate, or kind! BTW, Betty knows a rock star when she sees one! This post brought a smile to my face! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

3. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

It’s amazing what a little complement can do for you! As a (part time) single mom, I get it. A few weeks ago I took both girls to the hospital as I was on my own and after being triaged the nurse said that I was doing a fantastic job with my girls and they were very well behaved. It made me feel good and realise that I am doing a good job on my own (my husband is away 5 days, home for 2.5).
    It’s hard being the parent that does it all (work, child care, run etc.) and I have those days too when I’m 100% not proud of myself as a parent – sometimes I think I have those more then I should. I love the Betty said “great job, mom” – my girls do that too and it makes me proud and they see what great role models we are.
    Way to go Salt!

You are an AMAZING mom! I feel so bad that I struggle with just one sometimes and you are making all this work with two! Those girls are so lucky to have you. ❤

• Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Knowing you are not alone in the struggle is sometimes helpful (remember that). And, it doesn’t matter if you have 1, 2 or more, it’s still a struggle. You ARE strong!

4. Jamie says:

Whenever I see moms running, pushing a jogging stroller I always think about how bad ass they are! I think sometimes running can make me feel like a superhero when I push through a specifically tough run or race. The runners high is like nothing else! : )

A) I could have told you that you were a super mom. I would have said something, but I thought that you already knew! One of my biggest goals is to teach my children manners and gratitude. I’m not always the best at it, but I hope that they will make up for my slovenly ways!

I’m definitely not the best at it either (at ALL), but I think it’s such an important thing to try to pass along. At the risk of sounding like an angry old lady, some kids today just have no respect. I don’t want my daughter to be one of them. And I’m so glad to see that it’s working! She’s such a good kid. 🙂

6. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

awee. This post just made my heart happy. 🙂 those “mom moments” are the best. You are such a great mom you know that 🙂
    I’ve never ran with a jogging stroller, but it looks like serious business.! major props to anyone who does

7. Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

Not long ago I was doing a race and there was a mom pushing a double stroller up a hard hill and I remember thinking to myself how hard that must be… You really are amazing for not only being a mom but being an awesome stroller running mom too!!

I love seeing moms out pushing their stroller- they always inspire me! I remember last summer, I was just having a really rough long run, it was so hot and it felt never-ending, when I saw a mom pushing a stroller and going at a good pace, I told myself to just suck it up haha. You runner moms are truly amazing! ❤

You are totally a super mom. This is an awesome post and you totally inspire me. Betty is a lucky girl to grow up with such a fit, active mom. And yes to wine!

10. allisonfiorini says:

Oh my cuteness. That little girl of yours is a doll face!! She must love that you take her with you running. Plus, you are being an awesome roll model for her by showing her that being healthy and fit is also FUN!

11. Alanna says:

I love this post! I actually had to read it twice. You are doing an amazing job! I can totally relate to sometimes feeling like the worst parent in the world, especially when there is yelling involved but it does happen. I don’t run with my daughter often, but when I do I love the joy that she gets from all of the animals and other things that she sees. She just chatters along and I can’t always understand her but that’s okay. It’s such a fun experience for both of us.

Yelling at her makes me feel like the worst person in the world, but it’s always good to hear from other parents that it happens to them too.Having her along on my runs definitely makes them more interesting and it’s also nice to unplug. I typically run with headphones, but never when she’s with me. (Although sometimes we do jam out to music on my phone from the console of the stroller!)

You ARE a super mom 🙂 I used to run with the stroller but it started killing my form so I stopped. Everytime I’m out for a run, I always shout to mom’s pushing double strollers that they are aweseome. I get a lot of weird looks, but I know what it feels like to get that boost, so I hope I can do it for someone else!

13. Cody says:

I have joked for years that the only reason that I want a baby is to have a BOB stroller–people look so tough/awesome when running with strollers!! Great job 🙂 and the NCR trail is a great running trail!

Just catching up on your blog posts. Looks like you’ve been having fun, and I hear you’re runner-famous now! Please don’t forget those of us who were with you at the beginnings. 😉

15. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

I remember seeing your pic on Instagram of your stroller run, and your splits were incredible! I can’t IMAGINE how hard it must be to run that fast when pushing 60+ lbs! I think you’re probably inspiring more than just Betty with your runs 😉 and CONGRATS on the runners world feature, you are on fire ❤