National Running Day: Like a family! {The Friday Five}

As I’m sure pretty much everyone knows, the best running holiday around occurred on Wednesday. Of course I’m talking about National Running Day!

556863d337877.image

I’m one of those people that likes to celebrate big events like birthdays and such for an entire week so I was pleased that my beloved DC Trifecta made National Running Day their topic of the week for the Friday Five.

DC_linkup

Thanks, Mar, Cynthia and Courtney! You ladies are the bestest!

And celebrate I did. Wednesdays are a “dad day” for Betty so I was able to run not once, but TWICE! I was up not-bright (because it was still dark outside) and very early for 4 miles on the treadmill and then after work I hurried over to one of my favorite places on the planet—that would be Charm City Run—for a small group 2 mile fun run that changed to 3 miles when we decided that 2 was just not enough.

Sometimes I forget how much I LOVE running with a group. So today my Friday Five is

Five Things I LOVE About Group Runs!

1) Discovering New Routes!

Nearly every group run I’ve attended has occurred off my home turf. I love my neighborhood, but the same routes over and over again can get a little stale. It’s fun getting out there with other like-minded people and checking out some new terrain! Which brings me to…

2) Making New Friends!

Target Starbucks selfie. Fortunately I have super-humanly long arms.

Cynthia, Erika, Sue, and Courtney! Oh and me with my built-in selfie stick arm.

Sara (Sweaty Mess Mama), Mar (Mar on the Run) and me post-race!

Sara and Mar! And me dressed as a kitty.

This community is like a family! When I started running I never considered the amount of awesome friends I would make in the process. I could go to a group run or race knowing absolutely no one and leave with at least one new friend every time.

3) Less Stress…

Is it weird that I feel more pressured on a solo run than on a group run?

I have an issue in general with going out too fast and when I’m running by myself I have a hard time not thinking about my pace. When I’m running with a group I’ve been tempted to leave my Garmin in the car along with my Yurbuds and if I wasn’t so obsessed with tracking my mileage on Strava right now I probably would. I love finding someone in the group who runs at the same comfortable pace as I do and then spend the next several miles chatting without a care in the world over how fast we’re going.

PS. If you’re on Strava, link up with me! And if you’re not, you should be. Strava rocks.

4)…But Sometimes Extra Motivation When the Going Gets Tough!

I might not be worried about my pace out there, but running with others definitely pushes me harder when I need it!

Like for example, during our National Running Day outing, we hit some pretty serious hills about halfway in. I was running with two friends—that I had just made about 10 minutes prior because once again runners are awesome—and we were all groaning about them, but having those guys with me was the extra push I needed to destroy those hills!

5) That Great Feeling When You Get It Done!

I generally feel pretty good about myself after (most of) my runs, but there is something to be said about sharing a kick-ass sense of accomplishment with others!

The event on Wednesday was also sponsored by Team in Training and they had an awesome volunteer at the end armed with water for us to drink and motivational words on a job well done. As more of us rolled in there were high fives and shared stories of how the run went for everyone. We were all feeling fantastic and ready to talk about our experiences. No matter the fitness level, I always feel so inspired by other runners and love hearing their stories, especially right after a run!

Writing this post has me so excited to rejoin my MRTT Ladies on Sunday morning for another great group run!

How did you celebrate National Running Day? Did you attend a group run? What are some of your favorite things about running in a group?

42 thoughts on “National Running Day: Like a family! {The Friday Five}

I did a little baby run (hardly even anything to count) to test out a theory about my shoes on NRD (I was right, natch). I love running + friends because #runnersmakethebestfriends.<3<3

Taking it easy is the smart thing to do!!! 😀 Better to be able to celebrate running every day NOT INJURED than try to do it when you aren’t really feeling it. 🙂

2. Lily says:

I promised myself a two-week break after my marathon but after seeing all these posts about National Running Day, my legs are itching to get back out there! It’s obvious, running is the best and everyone should do it. I rarely run with a group but your post just reminded me why it’s so fun, hopefully I can find a good one that fits into my work schedule!

I know it’s so hard!! I meant to take off a full month after mine and yeah…it totally didn’t work out that way. I hope you find a great group to run with! I wish I could run with you! 🙂

3. klregan says:

I like that National Running Day is quickly followed by National Donut Day (today!). I love running with a group. It’s nice to have someone to talk to and encourage you.

4. Running Boston and Beyond says:

I feel kinda bad but I DID NOT RUN ON NATIONAL RUNNING DAY!!! I biked. Am I a traitor? I did go back to the track this week and my mileage is going to go up from not until eternity (January), so I didn’t feel too bad. For the most part.
    After doing so much speed work on my own for the marathon, I am SO GLAD to be back running with other people. There’s just nothing like it, and I will always have my solo runs too. Happy Running!

Running is so social. Even when you are doing it alone. You have to talk about it all.the.time.

I love running with groups, you always make a new friend, you learn something, and the support is awesome. Can’t wait to see you on Sunday!

All. The. Time. Thank goodness I have such great friends nearby too, such as yourself. 🙂
      Can’t wait to see YOU on Sunday! It’s going to be awesome!

6. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

i am getting SO excited to see you again soon. pretty sure we should do drinks after our event friday. what do you think? i bet mar would be down and sue might be able to sneak away and join us! 🙂

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!! I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since that race! I’m down for drinks after the event as well. We have to let Sue know!

We (I have a +1 hehe) are staying at the same hotel as last year and it’s not far from where everything is happening. 🙂

7. allisonfiorini says:

Love that you posted about running with a group for National Running Day 🙂 I think it is the perfect way to celebrate our beloved sport – with others who appreciate it, too!

8. lacey@fairytalesandfitness says:

As much as I love running by myself to go at my own pace I have a hard time going out too fast as well. It’s always nice to have a friend or friends to run with and just have fun. I never wear my ipod when I am running with others.

9. Shawna says:

i never group run but i did on Wed and it wasn’t my fave! sad face. i love my solo runs. but i DO love running with my best friend when she feels up to it, so that’s a plus. 🙂 have a fab wknd!

10. Corinne says:

I took the pup for a 1.5 mile walk on Wednesday. She wanted to quit right before my Nike+ app announced we’d gone one mile in 23 minutes. Needless to say, she threw off my overall average pace! It’s been a long week at work so I didn’t feel up to going back out again after that little walk. This 5K on Sunday should be interesting!

I love running with friends and groups. I loved experiencing new routes with my running groups. And you’re right, I felt like I could relax and enjoy the run a little bit more without all the pressure I sometimes experience when I’m running by myself.

These are all great reasons. I love running because on any given day there is a different reason for why it makes me or my life so much better. Without it I can be a mess or a not so nice person 🙂

13. Montana @ Pretty Lil Mudder says:

I love group runs! Group runs give me motivation when I know someone else is counting on me to show up even when I don’t want to run. And I’ve met SO MANY awesome new friends through running that I wouldn’t have met otherwise! They’re literally amazing people. RUnners rock.

14. Lindsey says:

I’m with you on all of these! It’s fun to run routes that you wouldn’t have thought up on your own, and you can’t beat a good high five after a tough run 🙂

I was super shy when I was younger, but when I started running, I definitely came out of my shell as a result of running with others and having so much in common with them. Just yesterday, I met a runner when were both trying on non-running shoes at the mall because we we’re trying to find cute, but supportive ones. Made the experience a whole lot of fun because I’m not a shopper unless it’s for workout gear haha. 🙂 And now that I think about it, I never really get caught up in pace when I’m running with other people either, that’s nice!