It’s Our Holiday! {National Running Day!}

Happy National Running Day, everyone!

556863d337877.image

…for my sanity. For my daughter. For myself. Running has completely changed me for the better and I’m so thankful for it, even if I did find it a little later on in life than most people.

How would YOU answer that question? And whatever your running plans are for today, how are you planning to fuel after that run?

If everything pans out, by the time you’re reading this post I should have logged 4 miles and then Charm City Run has a 2 mile fun run event planned for 6pm that I will be attending. And after all that I can tell you exactly how I will be fueling because it will be the same way I’ve been fueling for the past two days.

It’s DELICIOUS.

IMG_6896

Introducing Post GN–that stands for Grape-Nuts–Fit Cranberry Vanilla granola and I hardly got it out of the shipper before having to taste it. I couldn’t even be bothered to take a decent package shot first before tearing in. What can I say? Vanilla is my favorite.

This granola is my FAVORITE.

Some nutrition information can be found HERE. This protein-packed, whole grain yumminess tastes like dessert without an overload of sugar. I guess I could have put it in yogurt or something, but Betty and I opted to enjoy it straight out of the bag. Including seconds and thirds.

IMG_6911

I’m sure you can tell by her face that she was loving every bite. The only thing I wasn’t loving was how much granola that she dropped on the floor in the process, but hey…if she’s eating something healthy I can let things like that slide.

I’ve been an original Grape-Nuts fan ever since I was a little kid and my mom used to buy it, so I’m thrilled to see them branching out to include granola in their product lineup and focus on making their mark in the fitness market. Grape-Nuts kindly provided me with some helpful fitness tips; all of them so important to keep in mind on National Running Day or just on any running day in general!

Grape-Nuts Fitness Tips

Whether you’re a light runner or a tri-athlete, it’s important to mix up your workouts. Cross training, weight training, yoga and Pilates are great ways to add variety, work different muscles, and will make you stronger overall.

Don’t forget to refuel. After a long run, your muscles fibers begin to breakdown. In order to repair them properly, they need to be replenished. Grape-Nuts Fit offers a healthy combination of carbs, fiber and protein to give your muscles the nutrients they need to recharge.

After your run, always remember to stretch your muscles, especially your quads, hamstrings, hip flexors and calves, to prevent injury and increase flexibility.

Be sure to stay hydrated. Water helps balance fluids and prevents feelings of hunger between meals. Carrying a reusable bottle makes it easy to refill often, aiming for 3 liters a day.

Getting the proper amount of sleep is just as important as exercise and eating healthy. To allow for extra sleep time, plan ahead by meal prepping for the next day and putting out your workout gear the night before.

I know for me personally, the sleep thing is my biggest challenge. As is the meal prep thing. I think I have some work to do.

IMG_9151 4x6 small

Are you a granola fan? Have you tried Grape-Nuts Fit? How will YOU be celebrating National Running Day today??

32 thoughts on “It’s Our Holiday! {National Running Day!}

1. Jamie says:

Pretty sure I could live on granola. Sometimes I even eat it with almond milk like cereal : ) Celebrated national running day with a bit longer of a run since it was absolutely gorgeous outside! Have a fabulous day!!

2. Corinne says:

I will be walking (maybe running) outside after work today. Normally it’s leg day at the gym, but the weather has been in the 50s for the past two days here! It’s finally warm-ish today 😉 Plus I have a 5k on Sunday I should sort of prep for.

3. Tricia says:

I have always loved grape nuts and granola is no different. I too can’t have just a little bit, I end up eating 1/2 the bag in one sitting. I will also be getting in my run for National Running Day this afternoon after work. I hope a friend joins me but I run for so many reasons as today’s blog post says but mainly for ME! I am just a better person since I run! 🙂

Happy Running Day! I have not tried Grape Nuts Fit but it looks delish! I love granola and eat a little every day on top of my Greek yogurt. So good 🙂

5. the mile report says:

Love granola. I hadn’t tried grape nuts until a few weeks ago when I found a box in our pantry. they’re good!
    Happy National Running Day! I’m working up the motivation to go out soon

6. allisonfiorini says:

I need to try that granola! Ever since I went paleo I don’t eat it as often, but I call myself “paleo-ish” because I am not 100% paleo. My favorite granola is made locally, from a company called The Bethlehem Granola Factory. I can’t buy it – I will eat the whole bag in one sitting. It’s incredible! Happy National Running Day to you!

7. Shawna says:

i love that you say “it’s OUR HOLIDAY!” you just made me smile, you cutie you. also, that pic of B is the cutestttttt. whattttt her faaaace i cannot. and granola is just not allowed in my house/belly anymore b/c i cannotstopwillnotstop with it when it’s near me. disastrous. love it.

8. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Happy National Running Day to you too! Glad to see you are enjoying your summer time with sweet Betty and snacking on some delicious granola! I love how much running has helped you and agree that running for sanity is awesome. I also run to feel more human. It reminds me that my stresses are so much smaller than they feel. Hope you have a great day!

Granola is dangerous for me. I’m all, “hey this is healthy!” Then I eat the whole bag and then, not so much. I used to eat Grape Nuts as a kid all the time. Funny how there is nothing even remotely close to a grape in the cereal.

Haha giddy on granola 😀 I LOVE grape nuts and have been eating granola with my yogurt like crazy lately. I need to try theirs though. I’m so glad you started running so that we get to read all about your and Miss Betty’s adventures.

I am hit or miss with granola. Sometimes I love it and can’t get enough and then I eat it too much and am off it for a while. But I used to LOVE Grape Nuts as a kid! Hope you had a good running holiday! I didn’t run. oops.

I have to be careful with granola because it often contains wheat. I looked at the nutrition info and Grapenuts does indeed use wheat as an ingredient…so none for me 😥
    But Betty looks so happy (and slightly mischievous too! I wonder why…) eating her Grapenuts 😀
    I run because it’s the closest I can get to flying!! And yesterday I celebrated with some speedy mile repeats!