It has been WAY too long since I hung out with my favorite DC gals. I HAVE MISSED YOU!!!

DC_linkup

This week Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney have given us free reign over the topic so I’m going to talk about my new obsession.

IMG_5751

Yellow was never my favorite color until now. I’ve posted about my Salsa Warbird a couple times on here before, but as the weeks have flown by I’m finding myself fall more and more in love with him. Because he’s a him. He still needs a name though and I’m open to suggestions.

Here are 5 reasons I’m LOVING THE BIKE lately.

1) Getting dirty.

All sweat aside, I never realized what a clean sport running was by comparison until I started riding a bike. This past Tuesday I went out for 16 miles on the rail trail near my house and it wasn’t until the end that I realized I was splattered with filth and mud all the way up my legs. There’s something very satisfying about getting so dirty while exercising.

2) The downhills.

They feel like I’m flying! There are some  good hills near my house and I’m finding that I love going as fast as possible down them. It’s scary and exhilarating. So far I’ve topped out at around 30 MPH and I’m excited to go faster.

3) The scene.

Much like the awesome network of runners in my area, there is also a great bike scene. People are so friendly! A good friend of mine is a big part of the social bike scene in Baltimore and added me to a bunch of different group rides. I’m so excited to participate in some of these!

4) Transportation.

Way more fun than driving and faster than I can go on foot. Now that I’ve grown more comfortable riding with traffic I want to ride EVERYWHERE. I just need to get myself a lock so that no one steals my bike.

5) Just look at HIM!!!

IMG_6687

He’s so pretty I can hardly stand it!! My helmet matches, making me EXTRA visible.

The only downside to all of this is that biking is even more expensive than running. My friend, Fireman Chip, told me that—much like running shoes—the correct number of bikes that one is supposed to own is “N+1”. I’m a total newb and can already see how that’s true. Then there’s the gear. I need gloves. I need pants with padding in the butt. I need a tool kit just in case I get a flat while I’m out riding, which knowing me would totally happen at some point.

The list just keeps on growing and I don’t even mind it.

So who has some bike name suggestions for me??

I hope everyone has a spectacular weekend! Are you racing?? Tell me about it so I can cheer you on!

50 thoughts on “5 Reasons I’m cheating on my running shoes. Just a little bit. {The Friday Five}

1. aliceruns says:

So happy to hear you are enjoying your biking that much!
    I am actually gonna race the following weekend: out of the blue, after a festival in the evening, we’ll be doing a local 5k the next morning on July 7th. It’s gonna be one crazy ride, I tell you.

I need a hot significant wheeled other. I think I will be terrified of downhills for a bit, but luckily we don’t have many of those here in Chicago!

Hooray! I seriously can’t wait to get a bike again, although I’m more in the market for a fixed speed cruiser that will get me from my apartment to downtown or the beach and back. Not too far, and not complicated.

4. afastpacedlife says:

I foresee duathlons and triathlons in your future.

It sounds like you’re having so much fun with your bike. I can’t believe that you’re going downhill so fast. I’m a total chicken, so I bike so sloooooowwwwwwwllllllyyyyyyy.

Definitely a duathlon! I have to get more comfortable in the water before I go for a tri. I’m such a bad swimmer.

I am having a blast! LOVE going fast! 😀

• afastpacedlife says:

If you do the NYC tri, you really won’t have to swim (much). The current is really fast. I’m a terrible swimmer (seriously 2nd to the last person out in a fair swim trial) and even I got a decent swim time because of the current. The tri is just freakishly expensive. 😦

Seems like everyone is getting on the bike bandwagon recently! Love the bike! I would love to get a real road bike or hybrid. I have a mountain bike and it is so freaking slow!

I was originally going to get a road bike, but we have such a great trail near here that I’d never be able to take that out on. I’m so glad someone suggested a gravel bike to me!

6. Alanna says:

Your bike is awesome! I’m glad that you are enjoying it so much. Maybe one day I’ll get my old bike back in working order. Have a great weekend!

Awesome bike! I’d be so nervous flying so fast down hills! As for a name, I def like the ‘Big Bird’ option from above. It’s perfect: big, yellow, and birds fly 😀

The first time I went down a big hill I was totally freaking and riding the brakes the whole time. Meanwhile Chip (you remember him!!) was going like 50 hahaha.

I think I’m leaning toward Big Bird haha.

8. Shawna says:

i love that he’s yellow!!! my old Xterra was bright yellow and i loved that thing so much. hope you and this bike have an amazing time together. 🙂

9. alsoranagain says:

Good for you for cycling; it’s such great cross training for running! My friends who cycle say that it helps them run faster.

I don’t know what you should call your bike. Its colors remind me of a bee or a Minion, although neither of those names seem to fit…

10. allisonfiorini says:

I love that you already know the correct formula for calculating how many bikes necessary for biking 🙂 I love it!! I sometimes enjoy my bike more than running. I can already tell that you are going to be soooo addicted! Ugh but it totally is more expensive than running. Do you have bike cleats and clips?? That would be my first suggestion for an “upgrade”! If you like the hills now, you’ll love them even more like that!

11. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

I’m not very good at names… how about Garfield? Also yellow but not a bird. I think he liked birds though. 😉 I’m excited to read about your biking adventures! I used to have a bike when I was a kid and I loved it, but then more recently I rode my mother-in-law’s insane road bike and I felt like I was going to fall over the handlebars and/or weave into traffic the entire time. I was a nervous wreck! Maybe a bike like your cool salsa warbird would get me more into biking!

Your bike looks so cool! I don’t bike but you make it sound so appealing 🙂 the bicyclists do look like they’re enjoying the downhills when they pass me on the paths.

I love that you have found so much joy in your new bike. I bought mine last year from one of my runners. It is so perfect for getting to and from group runs, especially when I find a perfect parking place at home, because I am a terrible parker. I find it to be a great workout when I need a break from running.

14. Lindsey says:

I really want a bike, but want to live somewhere that I wouldn’t be terrified to ride as I’m relearning. Hopefully my next place will be a little more residential haha! Love your yellow bike!

15. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

It is awesome the happiness your new bike has brought you! I haven’t really ridden one since I was in middle school, but I would love to start again.
    I’m doing a half marathon on Sunday! And next weekend = B10! We have to meet, lady!

16. hellyontherun says:

Yay for bike!!! I’m digging the Big Bird name as well 😀
    I totally foresee a bike in my future. I kinda wanna really sorta do an IronMan (Eeep!! Did I write that out loud??)

17. klregan says:

I love biking! I have a super nice Trek that I LOVE. I take it out at least once a week and it’s a great distraction from running, especially when you are on tired legs (like I have been lately).

18. Run Colby Run says:

BEST. POST. EVER. You know how I feel about bikes. HAPPINESS!!! I love that you’re cycling. LOVE. IT. And the correct number of bikes is n+1+1+1 to infinity and beyond! But Girl. You’d better get that debit card out. (#broke) All of our bikes have names. They’re mostly girls, except for Carlos- he’s a vintage Schwinn Cruiser. My girl is Henrietta Pussycat. She’s badass. Just like your boy who looks like a Diego to me. 🙂 xoxo Ride safe!!!

19. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

i am terrible w/name ideas but you’ve got some pretty good suggestions here 🙂 i use our dc bikeshare program a lot but haven’t taken the plunge to buying my own bike. i’d be so paranoid about it getting stolen.