I tasted the rainbow! {The Color Run recap}

No seriously I did taste the rainbow and it was all up in my teeth afterward.

Last Saturday The Color Run returned to Baltimore and for the second time in a row Miss Betty and I were honored to be Ambassadors, along with my BRF, Sara. There were two separate events that day and we were signed up for the one at 9 am. I just  love the smell of glitter bright and early in the morning.

So yeah . This year The Color Run is presenting the Shine tour and what could be shinier or more sparkly than glitter? Or some gold bling at the end? I was pretty excited that they would be handing out medals this time! Along with the standard white logo tee and rainbow sweatbands, we were also provided with some fun glitter tattoos and at the end of the race there would be a packet of glitter handed to us along with the customary color packet for the big color throw where everyone gets super messy.

Betty and me, equipped with our jogger that still contains remnants from last year’s Color Run, arrived just as they were starting to let people in. We picked up my bib and gear, purchased a stuffed unicorn for our sweet little I Run 4 buddy and met up with Sara just in time to catch the beginnings of the Zumba-style warm up.

IMG_6421

IMG_6451

Despite some audio difficulties, it was still a lot of fun. If there’s one thing that the friendly folks at The Color Run know how to do, it’s get people moving!

Right around 9 o’clock, we started making our way to the start and I noticed way too late that we should have probably gotten in line much sooner (sorry again, Sara) We were packed in like sardines. At least we had gorgeous blue skies and sunshine!

IMG_6464

Luckily Betty isn’t afraid of crowds. In fact, she was so NOT afraid that she ended up falling asleep in the stroller while we waited. I have no idea how considering that there was loud dance music blaring right next to us, but naps are so few and far between now that I’m not about to argue them regardless of where they occur.

Eventually it was our turn. I fired up my Garmin and we we went…

…absolutely NO WHERE.

So I know that The Color Run isn’t timed or anything. They were making a point to announce that fact at the start. But some people out there do want to run. This was made pretty near impossible during the first mile with people walking in huge packs and stopping dead in their tracks right in front of us.

I’m fairly certain that I wasn’t making any friends running with the stroller.

The course was much the same as last time with a few small changes, one of which was that the purple color station replaced with people that were dousing us in gallons of glitter. I have never seen so much glitter in my life. It was everywhere including in my sinuses. I sneezed and B snored her way through it.

In fact, she snored her way through pretty much the whole thing. Despite missing out on everything she was cheerful as we rushed toward the finish line. Start to finish it took us right around 27 minutes flat which was not bad at all considering that we spent a mile practically walking. We collected our shiny gold medal, cleaned up a bit, and headed over to the stage for the after party.

IMG_6477

I promise that she was much more enthused than she appears in that photo.

IMG_6490

See all that color? That’s what blowing my nose looked like for the rest of the weekend. We met up with Sara to the side of the stage at 10:15 because as Ambassadors we would be invited up on stage to assist in one of the color throws. This was definitely one of the highlights of my experience. I’m sure it was a highlight of Betty’s too. I got some an adorable short video of her dancing around on the stage. The ham doesn’t fall far from the tree, I guess.

IMG_6502

They announced our names and allowed Betty to do the countdown. Then I tried to get another photo, but I was so freaked out by the giant mushroom cloud of color coming straight for us that I temporarily forgot how to use my camera.

After the dust settled—into my sinuses, eyeballs, and all over my skin—it was time to pack up and head out. Milkshakes at Shake Shack were just what we needed to wash down all the cornstarch.

TBWI15_20_01956

TBWI15_20_01957

One again The Color Run delivered with adorable photos. I think these might be some of my favorite race pics ever.

A huge thanks to them for welcoming us back to the Ambassador team! It was a blast! Apparently the next time The Color Run returns to Baltimore it will be for a night race. That might have to be a mommy’s night out event. 🙂

Have you done the Shine Tour? What did you think? Anyone else take any AWESOME race pictures lately?

Happy Thursday, all!

47 thoughts on “I tasted the rainbow! {The Color Run recap}

1. Jamie says:

It’s actually amazing how horrific all my race photos are. It’s like I TRY to look like I’m sleeping/swallowed a bug/on the brink of passing out… it’s really incredible. Love the pictures of you too though!!

2. allisonfiorini says:

Looks like SUCH blast!!!! You guys are too cute!!! My race pictures always fall in the “hot mess” category…but I have a lot of fun posting the bad ones for a good laugh!

Haha mine mostly do too. I never seem to notice where the photographers are and end up making weird faces. I think these are just awesome because I wasn’t in motion. 😀

3. samantha couch says:

ZOMG I LOVE BETTY. seriously, though. 1. does it get cuter than that, and 2. i am super impressed with her snoozing skills. i have never participated in a color run, but i am doing it this year. based on your commentary and others i know who’ve run in the past – i’m going in to this with the expectation that my time will be way off due to crowds/walkers…but still loads of fun!

So fun! I love the Color Run, and I’m excited for ours in September. May I ask how you got to be an ambassador? I’d love to be one for our local event.

I would contact them and let them know you are interested! In this area they had a call for Ambassadors the first time I did it and then the second time they sent me an email and I applied again. I think if you were to go to them directly it would work out great for you. 🙂

You two are adorable! I love that you are both wearing animal print 🙂 So glad you had fun!!! And yes, great pictures! I especially love Betty flexing her arms 😀 Normally, my pictures always come out pretty terrible but I did buy a recent photo from the Brooklyn Half because me and my friend were in it and it was pretty awesome!

She was wearing leopard leggings too but it’s kind of hard to tell in the photo. It was definitely an animal print kind of day. 🙂 I think the only reason why this one wasn’t so bad is because we weren’t actually running haha.

6. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

OMG, I love everything about this post (except walking the first mile).. You girls are the freakin cutest and I really want to do a color run! I LOVE the pics, it looks like such a fun time! I signed Ash up for his first race this morning and I have been smiling like a lunatic since I hit pay!!

The pictures of you two are the best pictures from a race I have ever seen in my life. And those outfits are the best!! That’s too funny that she slept through almost the whole run haha. She had a blast and got a nap. That’s a big win! 🙂

You are the sweetest!! Thank you, my friend. I’m thinking they are probably as good as they are because we aren’t in motion haha. I’m surprised she wasn’t angry about missing the race. She REALLY needed that nap!

8. the mile report says:

These pictures are awesome! When you mentioned the color remnants in your stroller from last time, it reminded me of the bag I threw out while cleaning my closet last week…it was a bag with my (unwashed and colored) shirt and hat from the color run I ran in 2012! lol

Sounds so fun!! I’m hoping to sign myself and Ryan up for the September one when registration opens!

10. Elizabeth says:

I did the color run this year! And it was SO MUCH FUN! I did the noon start time though, because my friend failed to register early enough to do the 9 am haha. Looks like you two had a blast!