Workout Roundup! {May 18 – 24, 2015}

Is anyone else in total denial that Memorial Day has already come and gone? I feel like I was just celebrating Betty’s birthday which is now nearly 3 months ago. Anyway this weekend was jam packed and awesome. After barely a nap and a full day of playing outside B was asleep before 7pm and I’m right behind her. I don’t think I’ve gone to bed this early since the mid-80’s.

Before I faceplant into my pillow though, here’s a recap of last week’s workouts:

Monday, May 18: As has become my new routine, my alarm went off super early and I did some strength training in my living room with resistance bands. After work I took Betty to the gym with me and she played dress up in the daycare for a bit while I knocked out 5 miles on the treadmill.

Tuesday, May 19: Up early again for some abs and then 15 miles on my bike after work. I took the same general route around my neighborhood as I had done 2 weeks before and my overall pace was more than a minute improved per mile!

Wednesday, May 20: I wanted to run outside, but I also really needed to get to a yoga class. So I ended up doing 5K on the treadmill and then attending a yoga for athletes class at the gym. That evening Betty was with her dad until dinner time so I went back to the gym and ran another 5K before he dropped her off.

Thursday, May 21: Abs in the morning again and then in the evening I ran another 3 treadmill miles and then as much time at Body Pump class as I could manage before having to go pick up Betty from my mom’s house.

FullSizeRender

Friday, May 22: Rest day!

Saturday, May 23: The Color Run! I will have a full recap of this tomorrow, but it was fun although I don’t know why I even bothered with my Garmin. Maybe Betty should have worn it as she ran away from this terrifying unicorn.

IMG_6426

Sunday, May 24: I received a request to visit the gym playroom in the morning—I’m so glad she loves it there now!—and I ran 5 miles on the treadmill again. She was with her dad in the afternoon and I went down to DC to play tourist for the day and ended up logging at least 5 more miles walking around.

IMG_6571

It was a wonderful day despite traffic EVERYWHERE and a botched attempt at visiting Arlington National Cemetery. I am so not good at driving in DC.

Weekly Totals: 22+ running, 15 bike, a good amount of  yoga and strength training.

Goals for this new week: I just realized over the weekend that my lower back no longer hurts when I sneeze which is a huge improvement over where I was just a couple weeks ago. Also it’s probably pretty sad that I’m so excited over something that minor, but that should give you an idea of just how terrible it was feeling.

My post-marathon goal was getting back to working on short distance speed. I missed doing intervals something terrible! And so far so good although I do wish I could be running outside more often than I’m able to right now. In another month or so things should get easier.

What goals do you have right now and how are you working toward them? When was the last time you acted like a tourist? Have you ever been to DC and if so are you as terrible at driving there as I am?

I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday weekend!

34 thoughts on “Workout Roundup! {May 18 – 24, 2015}

1. allisonfiorini says:

Nice job this week! My current goal is a PR at Grandma’s Marathon on 6/20. Shooting for a 3:05. I’m ramping up my miles and I’m in my biggest weeks now to prepare. We’ll see if it’s enough!

You amaze me with how you get it all in and with such a variety. I am so boring with a a run and a weight work out each day. Boring! Rock keeps telling me to take a prenatal yoga class because I’m so tight but I get lazy. Sigh. And that unicorn is scary looking for sure! Betty of course is adorable as always 🙂

Thanks, lady! I have the attention span of a gnat so it helps me to mix things up a lot. I DEFINITELY suggest prenatal yoga!! I did it all through my pregnancy and it was so great, especially right at the end. 🙂

3. Corinne says:

Can’t wait for your Color Run recap! The Instagram pics looked awesome!

I have three (ish) goals right now:
    1 – Get in a few miles before a 5K on June 7th
    2 – Get back up to 4 to 5 miles on long runs before the end of June
    3 – Find a good spot in Columbus with actual hills to run so that I don’t die at the Falmouth Road Race in August.

Those last two are my most important ones, especially #3. It’s a pretty BFD that I got into the Falmouth Road Race!

That is AWESOME that you got into that race! When all else fails and if you can’t find any hills at all, you could always do parking garage repeats. 🙂
      Good luck with those goals and in your upcoming 5K!

I am the worst at driving in DC! I drove there like 3 times in college and got super lost every time. I am also trying to work on speed for now. It always feels so hard in the beginning but comes back faster than expected!

If you can’t drive in the district, don’t drive in the district ;). Kidding but I know it can be crazy here. Wish I had known you’d be here. Looks like you had a strong week of workouts. Great job getting it done and mixing it up! I still need to get back to Rev Cycle.

6. Jamie says:

I totally acted like a tourist this weekend! I even took touristy photos : ) Haha sometimes exploring our own backyard or home away from home can be so much fun. You had a great week or workouts! I’m definitely trying to incorporate more strength training into my weekly routine before marathon training picks back up. Basically I told my boyfriend to force me to do circuit training with him once a week. Haha. Hope you have a great week!

7. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

i wish i would’ve known you were in DC sunday — we hosted a cookout and would’ve loved to have you over! next time you are here, let me know! of course i’ll see you in a few weeks but if you come down before then 🙂

I NEVER drive in DC. Can’t. even. I’m a metro girl all the way down there. You have been getting it done girl! Two a days?? Betty was awesome at the Color Run…what a little ball of awesomeness she it.

My goals right now are just to have a good 8 mile run this weekend so the 10 miler on the 6th doesn’t scare me and to get in some decent strength training workouts on the regular.

9. Ange @ Cowgirl Runs (@cowgirlruns) says:

That picture of Betty is EVERYTHING. And that skirt, I die!
    I’m doing Colour Me Rad (Canada’s version) in a few weeks and I’m pumped.
    You’re so good with fitting everything in, I feel like I should take lessons from you. All I have is my cat and I still sometimes suck at training 😉

10. aliceruns says:

Great week! And I am glad to hear your back isn’t bothering you any more, that’s wonderful! I hope that Betty is finding herself in the new situation.

My running goal now is to train for a half-marathon all the way down in October. I know it is plenty of time till then, but it feels like a challenge and I want to take it slow and be well prepared. I start the training in June, can’t wait already!

Killer week! My main goal right now is consistency. I really just need running regularly to become a habit, otherwise it’s far too easy to let it fall by the wayside when things get busy. I’m excited because once we move, my regular running route will be literally right outside my door, and I’ll be able to get up at the same time I am now, go for a run, then do all my normal morning stuff and still get to work on time. Woo!

12. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Dang you inspire me with your weekly workouts! I want to go to DC sooooooo badly!! We were supposed to go in middle school (all middle schoolers do it in my district), but September 11th happened and they cancelled the trip for several years. BUT since I’m going to George Washington University and I’m allowed to walk with all the on-campus students during graduation, I’ll probably get to go!

I love that photo of Betty running from the unicorn! It looks like a fun event 🙂 I’m doing a color run (not the color run though) next weekend with my cousin as her first 5k. I think these types of runs are great first 5ks for people.

14. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven says:

Bless you for trying to drive in DC!!! I did that exactly ONE time, when I was in my early 20’s, heck maybe even only 19??? My father had to have heart surgery – and he was taken to the best heart hospital down there – I had google map directions (before GPS) and I got lost, in the HEART of the city, a lone… at almost dark. I finally gave up, and drove home and called him and said I would try to get there again the next day! I missed ONE turn!!! haha. What a great time to hit up DC for a visit! The color run looks like a blast I’m so glad you girls had a great time!

I’m so glad your back is feeling better! Your workouts are so well-rounded right now, and you’ll be able to get more speed work done outside soon enough :). All I have to do to be motivated for my strength workouts is look at your week of training, so thank you! 🙂 I’m trying to work on my speed as well. That stuff definitely takes me wayyy out of my comfort zone!

16. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

oh I hate driving in any major city. I just can’t do it. I’m pretty sure everyone would honk at me, this small town girl sucks at it. lol. Props to you.!
    and good job on your workouts this week 🙂
    Betty running off with a unicorn is too cute.!

17. Alanna says:

That pic of B with the unicorn is so cute! I’m excited to read the recap. I try to avoid driving in DC whenever possible. As much as I hate the metro, it tends to be the lesser of the evils for me. The last time I drove to DC was to pick up my packet for Cherry Blossom 10 miler and it took me 2 hours to get home. It’s normally a 45 minute drive. Traffic there is the worst! I took metro for the actually race and it was much more pleasant.

Wait, what?!! You were in DC and you didn’t call me?!! So bummed!! I really want to do the Color Run again with my 6 year old when it comes back to DC, can I get you to join us?

19. Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

DC traffic is the worst I’ve ever experienced… Last time I was there we got there right at rush hour which was a huge mistake and there was an accident so we were stuck for about 2.5 hours. After we finally made it I loved walking around and doing touristy things.. I hadn’t been since I was a little kid!

Glad you and Betty had fun at the color run! She’s too cute 🙂

That unicorn is mega scary! I can see why Betty sprinted away 😉

Looks like a solid week of training to me and wonderful to hear your back is feeling better. I’m sure you will get your speed back in no time!

21. Single-Tracked Mind says:

So glad to hear your lower back doesn’t hurt when you sneeze! That’s awful. Nice job fitting workouts in despite being so busy.

I often feel like a tourist in SF when I visit a tourist-heavy place or have friends in town. I think it’s always a consequence of living in a big city.

Glad you’ve been feeling better! You’ve been getting in some great workouts too!
    I absolutely despise driving in D.C. It’s worse than parts of NYC to drive in. Whenever I’m in the area, I try to take the metro whenever possible.