Workout Round Up! {May 4 – 10, 2015}

My first full week back post-marathon and my first full week writing about all my adventures in my new training journal!

Believe Training Journal

Believe Training Journal

I don’t know why it took me so long to start keeping one of these, but I’m hooked now.

Fitness-wise this past week was fantastic. I’m still dealing with some residual pain in my lower back, but it’s a lot more manageable now. I said I wasn’t going to be running at all between Jersey and The Color Run on May 23 and yeah…as Betty would put it, I was “telling tales”. There’s a lot of extra stuff going on in my life right now and with running being sort of a form of therapy for me, I have found it impossible to quit it completely. I have just been keeping all my runs to a maximum of 5 miles and it seems to be working out okay.

Monday, May 4: 4 mile progressive run (7:26 pace) + 1 mile cool down (7:42). This was my first time back out on the road since New Jersey. I didn’t have any expectations of how it might turn out which I think made it that much more special.

IMG_5765

Those negative splits set a positive pace for my day and that cool down felt like I was running sooooo slowwwww after that fourth mile. I wish I felt the way after every run as I did after this one.

Tuesday, May 5: I woke up super early to do some strength training in my living room. In the afternoon I hopped on my new bike for my first long-ish ride – 16 miles around my neighborhood – and it reminded me of just how much I used to love riding when I lived in California.

Wednesday, May 6: 2 mile run on the treadmill (7:55 pace) and 45 minutes of yoga.

Thursday, May 7: 3 mile run (8:05 pace). And in the evening…

IMG_5728

Little known fact about me…I’m really good at hula hooping. Like as in 25 minutes of non-stop, non-drop hooping which I only pulled the plug on because my waist was starting to go numb. I’m loving this as an alternative exercise to do at home! Maybe one day I’ll learn to light the hoop on fire or something and do it that way.

Friday, May 8: Rest day that ended up not being a rest day. I work for a small advertising agency and we are currently building a new website which will consist of some fun and creative photos of the staff in our natural states such as Jon playing baseball, Cherae doing yoga, Chip mountain biking, and me…well running obviously. So I spent a large part of the morning running all over the building, inside and out, and breaking my very first finish line tape. We made it out of toilet paper.

I’ll be happy to share these ridiculous photos with you once I have them. Chip actually jumped over Jon with his bike and luckily no one went to the hospital.

Saturday, May 9: MRTT Group run on the trail! Sara and I are co-leaders of Moms Run This Town: Baltimore County North and we hosted a Mother’s Day Celebration run with coffee, donuts, and flowers for all the moms. There were 7 of us plus a couple kiddos along for the ride and I think most did 3 miles although I put in 5 with another mom (who was beastmode with her son in a stroller).

Women's Running Club on Instagram reposted this and I felt like a celebrity haha.

Women’s Running Club on Instagram reposted this and I felt like a celebrity haha.

I was feeling really inspired to do my own stroller run later on that day, so B and I packed up some snacks and headed to the park. It was a 5K total with a nice little play break in between.

IMG_5896

Betty approved. I’m a little proud of those paces, especially the top one because that was mostly uphill for the first mile. This is the first time I’ve run with the stroller since November and she is definitely a bigger passenger now. I think we’ll be all set for The Color Run in a couple weeks! (There’s still time to join us! BALTIMORE2 at checkout for a discount!)

Sunday, May 10: Mother’s Day! Betty hung with her dad in the earlier part of the day and I was left to my own devices. What could I possibly do with this free time!?

IMG_5904

How about trying to fit a big bike in a tiny car? I ended up achieving this by taking out B’s car seat and taking off the Salsa’s front wheel. It fit fine, but I think I really want a bike rack.

I took the bike to the trail and rode 25 miles in the buggy, sticky heat. It was awesome…even when I got a bug in my helmet and almost crashed. I’m definitely going to need to invest in some cycling shorts though because my bony butt and a  bike seat for nearly 2 hours are not such a keen combo.

And then I did this:

In my opinion, every pedicure should come with wine.

In my opinion, every pedicure should come with wine.

The best.

Totals for the week: Right around 19 miles running, a little over 41 on the bike, a  yoga class and some strength training.

This week I’m focusing on short distances again, logging my goals in my new journal, and possibly taking on at trail 5K this coming Saturday morning.

How did last week go for everyone else? How was your Mother’s Day weekend? Did you run or race? Let’s make this a Happy Monday!

46 thoughts on “Workout Round Up! {May 4 – 10, 2015}

1. Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

If my handwriting looked like that I might actually write some stuff down… looks like it would be really helpful! Looks like you had a good week, and I hope you had a great Mother’s Day with that little cutie pie 🙂

2. afastpacedlife says:

I concur with Maddie on the neatness of your handwriting. I failed penmanship in elementary school quite badly.

Trail races are fun, but I never do as well (even on an equivalent bases) as road races because I really SLOW down. I’m so clumsy that I trip over every branch, root, and rock.

Great week of workouts!!!

3. shooruns says:

You pace on that 4 mile negative split is impressive. Wonderful hand writing to boot! Sounds like a great week even with scaling back the miles. Looks like a GREAT week of fitness to me. 🙂 Ron

Okay – I figured out what was missing from my day yesterday – WINE. I had a mimosa with brunch, but it didn’t count. I ate too much for it to have any effect.

I concur with everyone else – your handwriting is amazing.

5. Jamie says:

I have the same running log and I love it. At first I thought I’d log my runs for a week and then never do it again, but once I started I became addicted. I now write down every single detail of my run. It’s so fun to look back on. Great job with all your runs this week. And as far as pedicures… I’m such a sucker. I always add an additional 10 minute foot massage. THE BEST after a long run and a good week of training : )

Looks like a great week! I’m totally intrigued by this training journal. I started something similar in a plain notebook, but I wasn’t into it an stopped. Maybe a dedicated journal would work better. Happy Mother’s Day!

7. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

Love the journal idea.! you have such perfect handwriting that it looks so neat and nice. 🙂
    and great paces.!! especially while pushing a jogging stroller. That is impressive.!

8. Alanna says:

Great week! All this talk about bike riding kind of makes me want to get mine back in working order. Maybe someday. I agree that every pedicure should come with wine!

9. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

I’m glad to see you’re enjoying being able to train however you want with no marathon pressure! Betty must have felt like she was flying in that stroller ride – you were really booking it!! 🙂 sounds like you had a really nice Mother’s Day.

10. thesimplepeach says:

Love that you hula hoop! It’s my thing too. I haven’t done it in a while but used to do it nearly every night as part of my wind down while I was watching tv. Your car looks way too tiny for that bike haha. You need a rack!

I ❤ that training journal! I think the little prompts in it are helping my training too, because they really make you think, as in sometimes harder than homework was in school think haha! 🙂

That progressive run is impressive my friend! And a 7:42 cool-down mile!? Geesh! Good job! I'm glad running is able to be an outlet for you and I really hope you're okay, my friend.

Yeah, I don't think I could ever push a stroller up hill and run that pace or run a 7:08 pace with a stroller. Nope. Between that and your hula-hooping skills, you crushed it last week! And that picture is beautiful.I hope you have a great week!

Happy Mother’s Day. I love your training journal! And wine with a pedicure? Perfect combo. I can’t hula hoop at all so that whole thing has my mind spinning. You are awesome, as always!

13. the mile report says:

First…I just finally caught up with your marathon posts! Way to push through! The hardest runs make us the strongest, right?

I’ve heard good things about the Believe journal; I might have to try that next. I’ve been using the same journal for a few years

I am not surprised that you’re a good hula hooper. That’s so cool! I can’t hula hoop to save my life.

Sounds like a great weekend!! I love that you have some hula hoop skills…I’m terrible at it. I am totally obsessed with tracking my workouts in a journal, it’s borderline scary actually how I can’t NOT do it, but it keeps me on track!

15. Jennifer says:

This is not an original comment, but, gosh your handwriting is super neat! I love the idea of a pedicure with wine. I must find that in my neighborhood.
    Happy (little late) Mother’s Day.

I’m just gonna go ahead and repeat what others have said, your penmanship man!! looks like a great week of workouts! I do write my workouts down but not in this detail. I should probably start doing that. Maybe it’ll help me get my running mojo back!

17. Run Colby Run says:

Love the journal. Love the week’s recap. And I LOVE HULA HOOP! I used to take a class about 100 years ago called: Slide, Hoop and Jump. It was Reebok Slide (Hello? 1990 Called. It wants it’s slide back.), Jump Rope and HULA HOOP! So, so much fun. I’m not bad at it myself. 😉

18. ambertherunner says:

Love hula hooping. My friends & I were geeking out in Dick’s Sporting Goods last week after happy hour by holding a contest on who could hula hoop the longest- such fun 🙂
    I think every pedi AND mani should come with wine.

Great week of training! I love that you are using a Believe journal to log workouts. I have one, too, and it is wonderful. All the helpful hints and tips scattered throughout make it easier to stay motivated 🙂

KILLING IT!!! You are such a speedster!!! Looks like you’re all recovered 🙂
    And wine with a pedi?! I had no idea this was a thing but it sounds like my kind of pampering/relaxation!
    Also, hula-hooping…I suck at it…so I need you to just pass on some of your skills please! I refuse to try hula hooping anymore because it’s just plain embarrassing… haha

21. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

What a balanced week! you killed it. Love the hula hoop fact…my random fact is that I can juggle (but you don’t burn nearly as many calories that way haha). Have you heard of hooping? I keep seeing a lot of people doing it…it’s like choreographed hula hooping? Haha something you might be interested in? If yes, then you have to film it please! haha

22. kiwiyogirunner says:

That training journal looks awesome!
    I love thwt you had a play date during your run, that sounds like a super fun way to go about it 🙂 I was brutally sick last week with the flu but now I am feeling heaps better and so excited to be back to running and yoga as per usual! 🙂