Bike Salt Bike?

I think it’s time that I created another page at the top of my blog.

Because I got a bike!!!!

IMG_5751

I haven’t owned a bike since 2008 when I moved back from California and had to leave my mountain bike behind. This one is SO MUCH COOLER than that one was.

IMG_5750

He – because I’ve decided this bike is a male – is a Salsa Warbird gravel bike. Originally when I started shopping I was looking for a road bike, but the Warbird ended up being the much better choice for everything that I intend to be doing, such as riding on the road or on the NCR trail up to Pennsylvania or on this one street near my house that they doing construction on right now and I nearly shattered my teeth bouncing over the chewed up asphalt.

I also got a bright yellow helmet to match. I am EXTREMELY visible.

So of course the first question I got asked when I posted a picture of my new bike on Instagram and Facebook?

Are you doing a tri!?

Yes. I don’t know which one yet and I’m going to need to get a lot more comfortable in the water first, but I will absolutely be taking on that challenge by the end of the year hopefully.

Another thing that is potentially on the horizon is a century ride in early October, but the biggest challenge there will be finding the time to train.

I’ve already been out for a couple rides this week and I’m LOVING it especially the adrenaline rush I get when I’m flying down a really big hill. I even suffered my first bike-related injury while on a 16 mile ride the other evening.

FullSizeRender

Okay so it was super minor; my shin caught my pedal. But I still felt like a total badass when I noticed I was bleeding.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Do you ride? What kind of bike do you have? Have you done a tri? A century? (Any tips for me?) Do you name inanimate objects?

Happy Thursday, everyone!

52 thoughts on “Bike Salt Bike?

1. aliceruns says:

The bike looks cool! Personally, I hate biking, though (scarred for life after childhood accident), so triathlon is not my thing… But I might get some aquathlon down the road. We’re talking years from now. I love to swim but I want to get my running on a more advanced level first!

• aliceruns says:

I have never swum with earplugs… It’s an ingesting concept. Never had that issue you are describing though, so I can’t relate. Maybe we should run as a relay team, you’ll do the biking, I’ll do the swimming! !

2. allisonfiorini says:

Welcome to you new addiction. I LOVE MY BIKE. Maybe more than running…it’s a toss up. I have a road bike and I do tri’s every year. I’ve done one sprint tri but mostly do Olympics – though I did two 70.3s last year and LOVED the distance. How close are you to me in Allentown, PA? There are two great tri’s in my area in August and I know one for sure is beginner friendly because it was my first one ever. I’m still deciding which of the two I am down for but I will be doing one of them! There is also an open water swim in the same lake as one of them July, so would be good practice to get in the water and see what you are in for. OMG I am so excited for you! I do my own long rides (often), and I’ve done this one metric century ride out in Lancaster a few times – it’s called the Covered Bridge Metric Century. Check it out! One major suggestion I would give you – ditch the running shoes for this one and get yourself some bike cleats and clip in pedals. I didn’t at first when I bought my bike six years ago, but once I got them…holy crap is it awesome. It’s scary to learn and I would be happy to give you some tips, but it’s such a worthwhile investment if you are getting into triathlons and going for long rides. You get more power because not only do you have the power from your quads from pushing down with your foot, you also benefit from using your hamstring to pull your foot up. And wait until you see your run times just drop.

I love traveling for things so I would totally check out races in Allentown! (I’m just north of Baltimore.) I am also most definitely going for the clip in pedals. I was telling my friend the other night that I’m already over the platform pedals. He told me that I just need to practice in a grassy area so that when I fall over the first couple times it won’t hurt so much haha. 🙂 Thank you so much for the tips! I AM SO EXCITED!!

3. Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

Love the bike!! I love all things bright and neon and yellow, so I’m naturally obsessed with your new purchase 🙂 I’m not big into biking, but it might be something I try later on if I get tired of running all the time!

4. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

Ohh, love the bike and the color!! I have a mountain bike that sadly has not seen any action since before Ashton was born 😦 Awesome news about the tri, I have a feeling you will love it!! Enjoy your new bike, can’t wait to see all the fun adventures you will have with it!!

Yeah!!! I had been wanting a bike a few years ago but space for storage was a primary concern. And now I’m running…never say never though.

What an awesome new challenge to take on. Now all you need is a trailer to pull Betty along in. 🙂

I started thinking about it a lot more when the challenges with my back started. I really needed a more convenient way to cross train and this is totally it! Plus I think it helps immensely with my leg turnover so maybe it will make me faster on my feet!

THANK YOU. I can use all the help I can get! Getting used to the cars has definitely been an interesting challenge so far. I’m so used to running against the flow of traffic that it does make me a little nervous to ride right along with them!

Your bike looks awesome! And you are a total badass!!! I LOVE that you are doing new things and thinking of a tri!! The only biking I do is on my stationary one because I’m desperately uncoordinated on the real deal. I also cannot really swim much (aka I know enough to not drown!) so I admire the dedication it takes to do and train for all three of those. It’s not something I plan on doing anytime soon but maybe one day…by then, you’ll be a pro!!

When I went out test riding I was so thrilled to learn that I can, in fact, still ride a bike. 🙂 Thankfully I have Chip around to give me lots of tips because I’m a total newb and still in the process of learning how my gears work. Haha I’ll get there. Definitely not pro-status yet or anywhere close!

Awesome! I had a bike last summer when we were living in town and I LOVED my daily bike commute. When we moved in with Ben’s folks, I ditched it because it was crappy and old, but when we move back to town this summer my first purchase will be a new (to me) bike! Although I don’t know that I’ll ever do a tri…

I wish I lived close enough to home that I could commute by bike! (Bike to Work Day is next week, but I’m not experienced enough yet to take on the back roads I would have to travel.) That’s so great that you’re going to get a new one!

8. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

I have a cheap bike that I hate. My husband rides a lot and I’d love to get more into it, especially now that are girls are into biking. The thought of a Tri stresses me out, I’m no good in open water. Enjoy!

I was going to get a cheapy, but then this is something I have been wanting for awhile and know I’ll use a lot so I went all out. 🙂 I am going to have SO MUCH FUN riding with Betty! She just got a new bike for her birthday!

20 is my next goal. I’m going for it this weekend! When my back went haywire that’s when I started thinking about it more and more. It will be so much easier for me to cross train right from my house now. Plus I can get a little trailer and pull Betty along with me!

9. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

oooh. super super nice bike.! and a triathlon.!?? wow that is awesome. I would totally do one if I knew how to swim. haha
    whats a century.?
    and yes.! gotta name inanimate objects. I named my plant at work Sally 🙂

Thanks!! Yes I’m foreseeing one in the future. Just have to get the swimming thing under control. 🙂
      I love that you name inanimate objects too! ❤

10. Run Colby Run says:

BIKE SALT, BIKE!!! I love, LOVE it! And that sweet Salsa of yours!!! He’s DOPE. You know this already, but I ride a ton! Mostly road (Jamis), mountain bike (Cannondale), and a cruiser (a 1976 Schwinn- my baby! for tooling around town and to the beach) and several others. We’re a- too embarrassing to discuss -multi bike family. My Other Half races and is NO JOKE. I just smile and pedal like hell to keep up. Tri or not, I love that you’ve got yourself some wheels. There is nothing like riding a bike. I’ve been ramping up the miles training for the Pan Mass Challenge- 200 miles in 2 days for cancer in August. (Hmmmm. Maybe Tina and I will nag you to ride with us!!) If you can find the time, definitely ride a century. You’ll feel like a million bucks. Well sort of. Your ass won’t. 😦 You will however be super proud of yourself. Welcome Badass Biker Chick!!! xoxoxoxo

I want a bike so badly. And yours is soooo prettttyyyyy. I would love to get into cycling, and to do a tri, but I think I have to start with a bike first. I am really happy for you to have this other outlet–it will give you and your running some space while offering a new challenge that is just as therapeutic.

12. thesimplepeach says:

Your bike looks like a blast! I have a huffy for cruising my neighborhood, but I’m so bad at riding it. I love it, but it causes me to go crazy. I’m a horrible bike rider, my balance is whack and I’m accident prone. I’m a fairly petite person, so I probably need a little professional assistance in choosing a bike that works for me instead of just picking the cutest one. Haha! Happy biking!

13. ambertherunner says:

Hooray! No bike would suit you if it wasn’t crazy bright 🙂 And a century- that is awesome! I look forward to hearing about your biking adventures & training.
    I haven’t owned a bike since high school 😦 and I toy with the idea of one day doing a tri, but SUCK at swimming. So maybe I’ll end up living vicariously through you 😉
    Also- love & always get attached to inanimate objects. I always apologize & feel so guilty if I break or misuse something. & thank other things (like wine openers) when they do their job. I’m so weird.

14. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

I did a tri on a mountain bike! Haha, I definitely don’t recommend that, I got passed left and right! But I’m super excited for you! I enjoy biking on bike trails, but I get a little nervous riding along the roads- add a long downhill and I’m convinced I’m going to die. 🙂

15. hellyontherun says:

I totally want to do a tri!! I’m terrified of open water but the challenge and the whole getting out of my comfort zone excites me 😀

Can’t wait to start reading about your biking journey you badass, you!!! ❤

How exciting! I am a little scared of riding a bike outdoors because of sharing the road with cars. And as for a tri- since I am still struggling with swimming and scared of biking, I don’t think its in the cards for any time soon,

Gah! Everyone is turning triathlete on me! I’m so afraid of the swim I don’t think I could hack it! The bike is awesome! Love the color!

18. SY says:

Nice….I was just telling a friend yesterday that I want to start riding a bike. Maybe then I can compete in a few triathlons.

19. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

Please give him a name! Haha I’ve been wanting a bike for so long, and now even moreso that the weather is gorgeous. But living in a city has me all kinds of scared — will I get hit by a car, will it get stolen?? But having a bike at your disposal is the best!

20. irishrunnerchick says:

Congrats on the new bike! Tris scare me – especially the swimming part. I have a mountain bike with commuting tires for getting to work and around town. I love the fact that I can exercise outside on rest days from running. And from my experience be prepared to spend a whole lots of money on bike accessories, clothes, race entries….

I’m so excited for you! Training for and racing a tri will be a great experience! I’ve never done one – don’t own a bike – but last year I spectated age group nationals and I was in awe of how fit all the triathletes were. Looking forward to following your new race training 🙂

22. Jess @hellotofit says:

Go, Salt, go!! :). I don’t really ride outdoors…the last time I rode an outdoor bike was in February during my trip to Thailand, where we did a bike tour. Before that? When I was 13.

23. Alanna says:

I love your bike! The last time I was on a bike, it caused my butt to hurt so badly that I swore I would never ride one again. Perhaps I need to rethink that matter. I used to ride my bike everywhere when I was a kid since we lived out in the country.

This is awesome! I recently bought a bike too – it’s some crappy thing I got at Fred Meyer on sale but I’m just excited to have one! No tri plans for me though. I don’t like swimming either!

25. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

So cool! I have a nice mountain bike that I haven’t ridden for years but I finally got out of the moth balls and serviced so I can try to ride it around town some. I’m kind of nervous about the roads/cars around here though. Your idea to get bright yellow was a smart one.