The most important wardrobe decision of 2015.

Happy Marathon Eve-Eve to me!

I’m actually starting to get a little excited for Sunday. For months and months I’ve been putting a lot of pressure on myself for this race and now I’ve finally taken Elsa’s good advice and decided to let it go.

tumblr_myvnc8W65v1s5112mo1_500

I have a 3 year old daughter. Frozen references happen.

I’ve decided that I’m just going to go out there and have fun. Maybe take a bunch of selfies. As I mentioned the other day, life has been a little weird lately and I can think of no better way to clear out my head than to go for a nice, incredibly long run. I may not even wear my Garmin.

Last night I realized…oh crap it’s Thursday. If I’m going to be leaving the state on Saturday morning I should consider packing for the trip. I had some ideas in my head of what I might wear on race day, but those are changing all the time. It sounds like the starting line weather should be mostly cloudy (good), very low chance of rain (good), very little wind (great), and in the mid-FORTIES (ew). I wish I could also be like Elsa and say that the cold never bothers me anyway, but it does.  I wasn’t expecting it to be tropical outside, but high 50’s would have been nice.

So I’m not quite sure how to dress myself and in my running suitcase – because there obviously needs to be a separate suitcase for my running stuff – I have a couple different Flat Salt options. Shorts or capris, socks or sleeves, long sleeves (which I already know will annoy me so I probably won’t go that route) or a tank with arm sleeves, etc. I can’t remember the last time I obsessed over an outfit this hard. My main issue, however, is deciding which shoes I’m going to wear.

Hoka One One Clifton

IMG_4961

I just gave these pretties a glowing review the other day and if we were talking about my old Hoka it would be a no-brainer. Those were the shoes I wore for my first 20 miler and they performed great. But they are also pretty worn out. On the flip side, I love the new ones, but they might not be broken in enough to attack 26.2 miles. I’ve run in the multiple times, but never over 5 miles. Maybe that will be enough.

Adidas Boost 2

photo (3)

My beloved Boosts. I don’t think it’s much of a secret how much I love Adidas (I have two pairs in the rotation right now). These shoes are great and my legs always feel fresh when I wear them. They are well broken in by now. But I’ve never worn them on a run over 10 miles. They have a good amount of cushioning, but I don’t know if it would be enough for a marathon distance when I’m on the back end of an injury even if I’m sure there will be lots of walking in my immediate future.

I’m sure the fact that I’m completely taper insane right now is making this into a way bigger deal in my head than it needs to be.

I hope that everyone has a much easier time deciding on their outfits for this weekend than I seem to be having! Just a heads up…there will be lots of pictures of New Jersey coming your way. 🙂

Is anyone else racing this weekend? (Let me know all about it so I can cheer you on!) Do you ever have a really hard time deciding on what to wear for a race? If you were me, which shoes would you pick?

40 thoughts on “The most important wardrobe decision of 2015.

Good luck this weekend! I look forward to the New Jersey photos 🙂 I’m doing Pike’s Peak 10k on Sunday and excited about it since I’ve read it’s a cool course.

2. alsoranagain says:

I would probably go with the Cliftons. I think you’ve probably worn them enough to break them in.

Good luck at the marathon! I’m so excited for you, and I can’t wait to read your recap.

Thank you so much, friend! I hope it’s fun. 🙂
      And I’m 100% with you. I’m wearing the Cliftons around the office today to get my feet even more used to them and they are feeling comfy!

Set yourself up for success: whatever you have had the most success with, go with.
    Thinking about you all weekend.
    Also, we became facebook friends a year ago to day. So today is made of magic. Remember that.

Oh boy – decisions decisions! I really think the Hokas would be a good choice if you wore the old ones on a 20-miler before. They should be broken in enough, but it wouldn’t hurt to put some Body Glide on those feet anyway to prevent the dreaded blisters! Looking forward to seeing you!!! I’ll probably wear arm sleeves too 🙂

5. allisonfiorini says:

GOOD LUCK this weekend! I’m getting caught up on the blog world lately but you are going to do great, even coming off of an injury! My vote for your outfit: tank, arm sleeves, and your Hokas. You might not have broken them in too much yet but you know they can carry you long distance – sounds like your Addidas serve you well for mid-distance. Looking forward to reading all about it soon!

6. ambertherunner says:

I vote Hoka One Ones- mainly because although you love your Adidases (um how do you make Adidas plural?), if you haven’t worn them on anything over 10 miles, it could be a recipe for disaster.
    At least you’ve worn your new Hokas a few times, so they’re better than brand new 🙂
    Have fun this weekend!! Can’t wait to stalk your Instagram 😀

Hokas all the way!!! At least you know the others were comfy on a 20 miler. Im sure you’ve logged enough miles on them that they will be fine.

Pack ALL THE RUNNING CLOTHES and make your final decision on Saturday night. You’ll look cute in your runfies no matter what you decide. 🙂 GOOD LUCK!!!!

8. Normailed says:

Good luck!! I vote the Hoka, I love cushy for longer runs. I have my first Triathlon this Sunday…eeeeeeeeek! My legs hate me right now and I’m just getting over an ankle injury, but it’s a time tri rather than distance, so I plan to take it easy on the run ’cause tri # 2 is just a short month away 🙂

9. klregan says:

Good luck!! You’re gonna be great. Just take it slow and stay healthy. I’m gonna go ahead and vote for the Hoka’s. If you already had a pair and liked them, your feet will probably be used to them and I think the extra cushion will help with your aches.

Just remember whatever happens, you’re still awesome! I’ll be rootin’ for ya!

10. seetinarun says:

Can’t comment on shoes, because I have tried neither. Can relate to wardrobe madness and was still fretting over options as I walked out the door on Monday. Pack everything and decide while you are there, and most importantly, GOOD LUCK!!!

11. Kristen says:

I say go with the Hokas since you did your 20-miler in them and they felt good. You can give them a little going away party by completing your marathon in them and then hang them up for good (or use them for casual/around the house type activities). Best of luck this weekend. I am running a half marathon on Sunday, so that’s pretty exciting. 🙂

12. Change of Pace says:

Can’t wait to hear about your race and see pics. post lots on IG!
    That is a tough shoe decision! My advice would be not to wear a pair that’s really broken down. I did that for my second marathon and ended up having to stop at an aid station and finishing the race with completely bloodied socks and feet since running that distance actually broke some of the material down and rubbed like crazy.

13. John @ run. geek. run(disney) says:

I dont have the same problem for picking shoes right now, but the rest always comes up to a last minute decisions usually, haha.

Hard choice between the two, one not broken in as much and one just not sure on the cushioning. Based on nothing, I’d pick the Hokas.

14. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

I am really excited for you for Sunday! The NJ marathon was my first marathon in 2013 and will always hold a special place in my heart! In fact all the pink-shirt pictures on my blog are from that race!

The weather looks good, and I know you’ll enjoy it! I also have a crazy time trying to pick out my gear and pack. My vote on shoes are the new Hokas, as long as they’re the same model they should be fine, although my second vote would be the old Hokas, so either one I think will work! It IS confusing!

15. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

So excited for you!! I’m guessing you would honestly be find with either of those pairs of sneakers, so I would just wear whichever you prefer 🙂 I’m not racing this weekend, but I am volunteering at a little race my running club puts on, so that should be fun!

16. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

yay almost marathon time.!! I’m so excited for you girly 🙂 🙂 I always over think my clothes also..racing or not. If I were you, I would totally go with the Adidas. They’re your comfort shoes.! you love them. lol

17. sometimessporty says:

Good luck on your marathon, I would go for the Hokas. I’d rather a shoe I know can handle the distance even if not perfectly broken in yet.

18. fitnessmeetsfrosting says:

Ahhhhh!!! I cannot wait to read your recap!!! You’re just going to destroy your race- I know it!! I ALWAYS have a hard time choosing my outfit! I’m a “what-if” type of person so…ya. I’d prob stay away from the Adidas since you haven’t done any long runs on those- just my opinion. (I’ve had shoes that I thought I liked until I ran longer distances and found they hurt my knees, etc)

I have a really hard time deciding what to wear for regular runs, so YES i have a hard time deciding what to wear for a race! Packing for a destination race is impossible for me! I remember I packed just as much to go to Philly for the marathon weekend as I packed to go to Florida for 5 days after the race. Good luck this weekend, I will be thinking of you! Have fun and enjoy the experience!

Luckily the shoe wasn’t the issue for me. I brought FOUR outfits with me to Paris because I couldn’t decide. I feel your pain 🙂 Hope you have an awesome race!!

21. Alanna says:

Good luck! I’m doing Pike’s Peak 10k on Sunday. Even though it’s a short race, I’m already obsessing over what to wear. I hate being cold!