A fun run and hanging out…upside down!

Last night I did something that I haven’t done since last year…I met up with some friends for a group run! My MRTT Chapter was graciously hosted by Charm City Run in Timonium last night and although it was sparsely attended – I’m thinking because people are still a little gun shy about the weather with it being so cold for so long (and rainy for the past week), plus the fact that it was in the middle of the week – I had a blast with some awesome ladies. We kicked it off with a 3 mile run and then back to the store for some snacks, wine, and great conversation. I’m already so excited to do something like this again!

IMG_5324

Danielle, Sara (of Sweaty Mess Mama!), me and Ashley!

Unfortunately for my wallet, I can’t go into Charm City Run without leaving with SOMETHING. This time it was shoes. Because I apparently need new shoes again. My friend told me last night that I have “isshoes” and I don’t think I’m in a position to argue with that.

IMG_5346

Aren’t they beautiful? (Is anyone else weird like me and think that running shoes are “beautiful”?) They are Brooks Pure Cadence 4 and I knew as soon as I saw them on the wall that I was in big trouble. And then I tried them on and hopped on the treadmill for a minute and yeah…just take my money. They make my feet feel so fast, just like my beloved Pure Connect, and are a very smooth ride. I took them out for a slow run/walk this morning, but I can’t wait to wear them when I can work on speed again.

I arrived home with a bag of shoes to another big surprise. The amazing Mr. Salt had been working on putting together my inversion table for me! YAY IT CAME!!

IMG_5330

At first he had a lot of bolts and screws left over which obviously made me a little nervous, but he got it all figured out. I hope my family doesn’t mind that this is going to be living room furniture for the next week as I watch my upside down baseball games in the evenings. I gave it a go twice. It’s very easy to use and the first time I flipped I experienced the familiar feeling of my low back muscles decompressing, just like I had at aerial yoga. It was marvelous.

Photo credit: My husband. Cameo by Baby G.

Photo credit: My husband. Cameo by Baby G.

The flipping back process has to be done a lot more slowly, both because a ton of blood rushes to my head and I’m not trying to pass out and  also I have to let my back reset a little bit. It feels kind of terrible at first, but after a few minutes it’s much better. I plan on doing this every day for the next week and beyond because not only does it seem to help, but it’s pretty darn fun.

All in all, an AWESOME Wednesday! If anyone who reads my blog happens to be in the Baltimore area, you are more than welcome to join up with my MRTT Group! You don’t have to be a mom to hang with us! We are hoping to get many more fun events and group runs planned for the summer. We had some great brainstorming over our wine and cheese.

Do you like going on group runs? Anyone else get new shoes lately? Have you ever tried an inversion table?

70 thoughts on “A fun run and hanging out…upside down!

Sounds like fun! I might have to make my way to those group runs one of these days since Im not too far now. Maybe once I am more settled and back to running regularly:) That inversion table looks so intriguing! Glad it’s helping your back! And I love my pure cadences.

Yes you do! We have a bunch of stuff in the works. Coming up we are thinking group run on the trail followed by mimosas. 🙂 I’ve only had it less than a day, but I’m thinking the table was a wise purchase. As are the shoes.

2. klregan says:

I always have to refrain from ending up with a billion running shoes. Fortunately, I’m in the market for a new pair of trail runners, so I’ll get to satiate my thirst for shoes soon. 🙂 Those purple ones are great!

My positive thinking that Mr. Salt would put that table together was spot on!!! Hope this helps you get ready for next weekend 🙂 Those shoes are hot – and you are going to be on fire this summer!

Haha I thought about that as soon as I got home and saw that he was busy putting it together! I am so glad I got the shoes. Now to use my reward and go back for the Maryland headband. 🙂

4. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

Omg those shoes! I have she same issue. My classmates always question me on how many pairs I own and if I actually need that many. Yes. The answer is always yes.
    I am glad the inversion table is working out for you! I can imagine feeling sick after turning back upright 😛

I am always so solo so early in the morning that I forget how much I enjoy running with others! 🙂 Haha I was making my inversion sassy and I didn’t even realize it.

This is so awesome. I think it is a lovely piece of living room furniture. Who wouldn’t want that?! A group run followed by wine and snacks also sounds great too. I find group runs are hard this year on week day evenings. Once summer comes around it is much easier to get a spike in attendance.

Thank you! I’m mostly worried that Betty is going to mess with it so I have to keep it on lock. (Luckily it has a lock.) I agree with you on the attendance. Winter pretty much just ended around here and it was way too cold to do things like this for a couple months.

6. Christa says:

I love group runs! They give me motivation to run, when I find myself struggling to get out and run! I love running shoes, but don’t always like the cost of them. I got new shoes a few weeks Argos, Saucony Hurricanes. They are a nice shoe, but I still prefer Gel Asics! Glad to hear that the inversion table is helping!

Ooo congrats on the new shoes! I’ve actually never tried Asics (it’s one of the only ones I haven’t tried), but I keep hearing such awesome things! I definitely hope the table continues to help. I’m feeling pretty good today!

7. afastpacedlife says:

hahaha! I love a good pun.

I do like group runs and we’re planning on joining a running group in our new neighborhood, but we don’t have much time for running at the moment. We’ll probably be doing group runs again in the summer time.

That’s so cool that you have one very local to you! My MRTT chapter is all over Baltimore county. I wish there was another runner close by for me to go out with in the early morning.

Thanks! I do too which is probably how I ended up with so many different pairs in my rotation. I was most interested in these because they are apparently for mild pronation, but work for neutral feet. I’m not an ove-rpronator, but my feet are pretty wonky so we’ll see how these work out!

I’m going to tell him he needs to copyright that word stat hahaha. (He’s a cyclist so he understands what it’s like to need too many of things. In his case, bikes.)

8. amysrecipefordisaster says:

I forget that I like group runs. I tend to be more on the quiet side when running so this holds me back from joining. Also, because I hate to hold ppl back pace-wise. I know many runners say they don’t care but I always feel guilty. Cool inversion table!

I’m solo 99% of the time because I go in the very early morning. I told one of the girls yesterday as we started out that I had totally forgotten how much I love running with a group!

9. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

love group runs. i’m in the market for some new shoes – i’ll be trying the hokas at a race tomorrow (they have a try on program for this 5k series i’m doing, which is awesome) and so it’ll be either those or the new adidas ultraboost! i think i’d be terrified of your table!

10. Rebecca Jo says:

I have one & its a LIFESAVER!!!!!
    I had all these issues with my sad at the beginning of the year – had me in the hospital – a big mess… after everything, I get on my inversion table & it pulls my ribs back into place where it helps my pain.
    I’d be lost without my table.
    I can’t go all the way upside down though. I feel like I’m falling & messes with my vertigo , but a good upside down 45 degree angle still works for me.

I’m so glad that yours helped you so much…that’s amazing! It’s a little early for me to form a solid opinion on mine yet, but so far so good for sure. 🙂

11. Shawna says:

new running kicks are one of the best things a runner can do for herself and make you feel amazinggggg! esp when you find a pair you LOVE. i bought two new pairs 2 weeks ago and i love them both! never done an inversion table but it looks so cooooool and now i want one.

It’s bigger than most of the furniture, but I think it’s definitely my new favorite thing in the house. And YES to feeling that way about new shoes! I’m so happy with them!

Woohoo! So glad you found something to help the pain in your back 🙂 And yay to Mr. Salt for putting it together for you!!
    I absolutely LOVE group running. I usually do it twice a week and I definitely rely on it heavily for my long runs because right now I don’t have it in me to do an entire 18-20 mile long run alone. Running with others makes the time go by so much faster and you barely notice the miles!

It was so funny…Sara was saying at the group run that maybe he was putting it together for when I got home and I was trying to not get my hopes up. But then he exceeded my expectations! 🙂 I wish you lived near me so we could group run!

13. Alanna says:

I love group runs! I usually do one per week. It makes me push myself a little harder than I would normally when running alone. It’s also just nice to have others to talk to. I love the company and the miles just fly by!
    Your new shoes are beautiful! Just take my money! 🙂

That’s how I felt when I did speed work at the track with a group last year. I can’t wait to do that again! I definitely pushed myself so much harder than I would have and got some awesome results!

And thank you! I am LOVING these shoes!

• Run Colby Run says:

By the way, you’ll be happy to know that thanks to your beautiful 30 days of yoga instagram photos, you’ve inspired me to keep on yoga-ing! I’ve been practicing regularly. 🙂

Woot Woot! Love my new brooks too! And I also got those same cheetah pants! #Iwish #I’dtotallywearthem Let us know how those inversions work out for you. I wish I could join you for a group run. I am super pumped to get to meet Helly in Chicago tho!

Hahaha I should just avoid the running store. It’s like Target. I go in there with either a specific idea of something I need in mind or no idea of anything I need and leave after spending WAY too much money.

15. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

That looks AWESOME! I can see how you’d get nauseous or feel queazy if you don’t flip slowly…

It’s weird how fun it is to be upside-down haha. I can imagine using that table would feel so good on the spine. You’ll have to keep us updated on what you feel after using it over time!

I’m a big fan of casual, low-key group runs 🙂 I like the extra motivation it gives me to get out there on weekend mornings. The inversion table looks awesome.

Haha, I love it – Isshoes! I think I have the same problem 🙂 Within the past month I purchased new Brooks Defyance shoes and Saucony Kinvaras. It’s always the new colors and fits that do me in!

Your new chair looks super interesting – kind of scary mainly because i”m sure I’d fall right off! But I hope it helps your back 🙂

18. Change of Pace says:

That’s awesome you can actually feel the inversion table working for you! I’d love to try one, one day!
    And funny you bought new shoes! I’m in desperate need of new ones!

Hooray for your inversion table! That does actually look weirdly fun. I asked for new running shoes for my birthday (May 9), and can’t wait to get my hands on them! They are definitely beautiful 🙂

20. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

I’m so totally with you on running sneakers being “beautiful”! I just got a new pair and I’m in love with them. 🙂 I’m glad you got your inversion table! I hope it helps you power through the next few weeks to run an awesome marathon!

21. kiwiyogirunner says:

So happy you got your inversion thing, being in pain is the worst! Hope it brings you lots of upside down relief! 🙂 I love running with groups (although I usually hate it for the first 30mins until I’m warmed up haha) but it definitely makes the time fly! 🙂