Getting fit…A to Z!

I love being a mom. I also love fitness and taking care if myself and I firmly believe that makes me an even BETTER mom.

Anyone with kids can attest to the fact that balancing life can be a struggle. Heck…it’s even a struggle without kids! One thing I’ve learned over the past three years is that you don’t have to give up the things you love when you become a mom although sometimes you do have to make sacrifices. Like in my case if I want to run, I will happily sacrifice sleep. I’m up and out of the house usually about an hour before anyone else is awake and that’s just fine with me.

Better yet are the days that I can combine fitness with my time with Betty: long walks around the city, stroller runs, or even chasing her around the playground. The other day I received an email with an adorable and incredibly helpful infographic called The A to Z of Getting Fit With Your Children and I immediately knew I wanted to share it. Kids or no kids, I think it could apply to everyone. You certainly don’t have to be a parent to appreciate some of these fun ideas! Laughing never goes out of style. 🙂

Children

As a mom it’s part of my job to  steer my daughter in a healthy direction in life. I want her to know early on the benefits of staying active and eating a well balanced meal (although we have our share of fro yo too). So far so good!

IMG_7781

Her first run at 18 months old!

photo 5 (5)

My little tree.

Big thanks to Giraffe Childcare in Dublin (IRELAND!) for sending me over this fantastic graphic!

If you’re a parent, what are your favorite active activities to take part in with your kid(s)? If you’re not, doesn’t “tickle tag” sound like fun!?

Happy Wednesday everyone!

21 thoughts on “Getting fit…A to Z!

1. wendyistakingthelongwayhome says:

All great ideas. When my boys were younger, we were always really active together. My youngest, now 15 is an avid athlete, so I like to think that it rubbed off on at least one of them. My oldest is determined to do the opposite of everything I do, so he’s the one losing out. Hopefully he’ll figure it out.

What a cute infographic! I don’t have kids but think it’s definitely important to find ways to make getting fit fun. Actually, people of all ages should find ways to make fitness fun! Maybe an adult version needs to be made next 😉

3. michelle says:

Oh that’s great! We are always looking for new ways to wear out Mr C. Tickle Tag sounds fun – thanks for sharing!

4. klregan says:

I really love this graphic! It’s so cute. My mom made physical fitness a huge part of my life, and I am so glad that she did. Looks like Betty is on the right track!

5. Rebecca Jo says:

I am so in awe of parents that are so aware of keeping their kids fit & starting young on exercise!!!!
    My family never mentioned exercise or anything physical. I take that back – we did Karate – but I love the EVERY DAY fitness worked in. I know it has to make such a difference down the road.

6. FLRunnerBoy says:

This is soooooo AWESOME Salt!!! As a fellow parent you know I think this post is very relevant and Betty … such a rock star!!! I guess you have no worries about her keeping the family fitness tradition going. You are teaching her well mama! 😉 If you have Pinterest you should post that graphic … it’s TOTALLY good stuff!

Tickle tag does sound super fun :). So do the bouncy ball activities…I don’t think I’ve ever made it through a workout with an exercise ball without doing some bouncing around on it, I just can’t help myself! And Betty takes after her momma’s beautiful yoga poses!

8. Change of Pace says:

That’s an awesome infographic; thanks for sharing!
    And Betty’s first race at 18 months? Melts my heart!
    Yikes- #7 is a shocking stat.
    I just got a new running stroller with an infant insert and cannot wait to take Jasper out in it. I’m thinking I’ll have to go tomorrow to try it out 🙂

9. Jennifer says:

Quidditch! We hop on our brooms and zoom around the house. (JK) I wish we could though.
    This is a really adorable way to put vital information out there.

I’m learning to embrace being up and out before my family to get exercise in; it surely is a labor of love.

10. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Love these infographics! The cool part about my day job is that it’s all around increasing daily physical activity in various communities. These would be great tidbits of information for parents – so many don’t know how much daily pa their children should really be getting and that’s just not in school. I could on for days about this 😉
    Great share and love the tree pose Betty 🙂