NJ Marathon Training Week 16 Recap {Taper Week 1}

Now that I’m tapering (thank god), I’m starting to stray away from the plan I’ve been using since December 22 and I’m throwing that whole grading system thing out the window. If I didn’t my report card would probably look worse than any I ever bought home in high school. I was not a good student in high school.

Monday, April 6: Rest Day. With the second 20 miler behind me, I took this day off completely.

Tuesday, April 7: 5 miles. This run was unbelievably awkward to start, but once I got past the first mile it was fantastic, even if it was a little rainy.

IMG_5242

I got a chance to start really breaking in my new Hoka Clifton and ended up with some great splits. I LOVE these shoes.

Wednesday, April 8: 4 miles on the treadmill @ 8:10. This was supposed to be the final pace run of this cycle, but I don’t have an intended pace anymore so I just did whatever I wanted. I felt good after this was over, but got really sore later on in the day. Yoga that night helped a little bit, but not much. There were elderly women in the room that were far more flexible than I was. (Not that you are supposed to compare yourself to others in yoga class, but I couldn’t help but notice it.)

Thursday, April 9: Super easy 5. (9:25 pace) Not the worst feeling run ever, but I was just tired and ready for a rest day.

Friday, April 10:

tgird

Saturday, April 11: This was supposed to be a 12 mile long run, but the inactivity from the previous day left me feeling more beat up than when I started. I opted instead for 50 minutes on the Arc trainer at the gym and then an hour of yoga. That day I took Betty downtown to play tourist for the day because the weather was so beautiful and we did a TON of walking.

IMG_5272

I was pretty sore by the end of the day. Luckily I have the sweetest child on the planet who with absolutely zero prompting grabbed my massage stick and rolled out my back.

IMG_5291

Sunday, April 12: At first I thought I might try to switch my 12 to Sunday, but after another sore night I decided I was not going to push it. I went to the gym and did 4 on the treadmill, then called it a day. We ended up going down to the Orioles game and I did a TON more walking so I definitely earned my beer at the ballpark!

IMG_5307

Okay it was beers plural.

2 MORE WEEKS TO GO!

I got my confirmation for my hotel on Friday. It’s getting real up in here.

The big news for this week is that I ordered an inversion table which should be to me hopefully sooner than later. I can’t wait to spend lots of time upside down. Other than that my plan is to run if I can, but if I can’t then I’ll be on the elliptical to keep some of the stress off my back. Also continuing with yoga and doing some exercises/planks to re-strengthen my core because over the past couple weeks I’ve been feeling weak in that area.

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! Special shout outs to all of you who ran at Cherry Blossom and to Sue because OMG PARIS MARATHON!!! And good luck to all of those who are in the taper home stretch for races this weekend. I can’t believe Boston is in a week. I’ve got so many people to root for!

Xo,

64 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 16 Recap {Taper Week 1}

Readjusting goals means that there still are some, which is better than none. And, you will have Betty to help you prep AND recover, so you are living the dream. And I’m glad that you are getting an inversion table–it has helped my mom so very much!

I just really want to finish it. I want that medal. At this point I don’t even care if I come in last.
      I am more excited to get beyond this, rest, and get healthy. I want to be reminded of what it’s like to run without pain. 🙂

My table should be here tomorrow! So excited!

2. klregan says:

Congrats on making it to the taper! You got this race, and even though you had to readjust your goals, you’re gonna be awesome. I bet that inversion table will help big time! 🙂

3. she's going the distance says:

Cherry Blossom was Awesome! And yes I had my well deserved Beer(s) all day yesterday. seriously so pretty outside, we just sat on the porch, drank a few and talked. my favorite types of days.. race, nap, eat, drink, hangout 🙂

She’s pretty amazing. 😀
      I’m SO EXCITED about baseball season! It would have been better if we had actually WON the game, but still so much fun. First of many games this year!

Every time I see Betty I fall more in love with her. And rolling out your back? What a dream child! I like the idea of “to hell with the report card.” You are seasoned enough runner and you know your body. I am confident you will be just fine. I just wish you were feeling 100% again friend! Can’t wait to hear about the inversion table!

I know right!? I didn’t even have to ask!
      I really hope I’ll be okay. My mind is racing with all kinds of doom and gloom this week so I’m trying to stay positive and not push myself too hard.

• sarahdudek80 says:

I have a post coming up on setting race goals. But long story short you will be fine. Might not be a PR race but you will finish. I have a lot of confidence in you.

5. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

I love that Betty is rolling you, I need to teach Ashton how to do that..AMAZING! Great job with your training, I know you are adjusting your goals, but I still think you are a ROCKSTAR and are going to be great! ❤ Two weeks my friend, it will be here before you know it. I hope you have an awesome week! xo

Thank you, friend. I really wish that things were turning out differently, but in a way I’m still excited. (Mostly because I’m so ready to be on the other side of it.)

Hooray for the taper! You are doing great with switching things up when you need to. I’m so happy you are able to relax and enjoy yourself too. And you have your own little masseuse ^_^ How perfect!!

I just hope the switching it up works! I’m thinking there won’t be much in the way of running at all this week and I’m trying to be cool with that. Definitely not what I wish was happening this close to go time.

7. irishrunnerchick says:

Only two weeks! How exciting! You’ve made it through the toughest part and the race is there for you to celebrate all of your hard work. Hope your back decides to cooperate, but it seems like you have the awesome-est little helper to work out those kinks!

I kind of wish I had more time, but I guess I’ll just have to make due with what I have left. I’m just happy that the hard part is behind me so that if I have to rest or do other things I can do that without beating myself up quite so much. Betty is definitely instrumental to my training. 🙂

8. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

Getting closer.!! and awe love that she rolls your back. haha. Malia will sometimes rub my leg if she thinks I’m hurt. lol

Being sick last week really messed with my head haha. I came home from work for lunch before it’s time to go coach and as soon as I stepped foot into my house I said “no one tell me who won Boston!” my mom says “uhh I think that’s next week…” haha.

I’m so excited for you and YOUR marathon! Your little personal athletic trainer is adorable! Mine never looked like that! ;). I hope your inversion tables arrives ASAP. Take care of yourself in this last home stretch and I’m sure you will have an experience to remember! 🙂

I don’t know what I would do without her. 🙂
      My table should be here tomorrow and they are holding it at FedEx for me so I have no idea how I’m going to get it home. BUT I’m excited to use it!!

10. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

YAY you made it to the Taper! You deserve the rest and you are going to kick bootay in NJ! I’m so jealous of your Clifton’s, I really want to try a pair! I mean…I could just buy some but I just impulse-bought another pair of Brooks. Whoops.
    I’m so jealous of your beer(s) at the O’s. Please tell me it was a Boh, and have an extra one for me next time 😉

I have never been so happy to taper in my life.
      I don’t think much booty kicking is going to occur, but if I can make it through I’ll be happy! I want that medal! And it was a Bud Light. I don’t usually drink beer at all, except for if I’m at the stadium. (I will have a Boh for you next time though!)

11. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

An inversion table sounds so cool!

Also, so what you’re telling me is, I need to have a child so that I have a constant holder for my Tiger Tail, right? That’s what I’m getting from this. Otherwise having a child isn’t stressful at all, right? Kgreat 😉

12. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

I love when kids do things like that! My oldest folded the laundry one day while I made dinner so I could have my evening to rest…how sweet is that! (And, she actually did a really good job). Both my daughters play with my two foam rollers – the love just as much as I do 😉

Ahhhh I’m so excited for NJ!!! So soon!!!! Also, I’m intrigued by your new shoes. I always thought Hokas were weird, but everyone seems to really like them. Are the Cliftons stability shoes? Is there even such a thing in such thick shoes? 🙂

Haha you sound like you’re more excited than I am! 😀
      They are definitely weird, but wonderful. The sole is huge. They are neutral and so light. They look like they would be super heavy and then you pick one up and it’s like…woah.

14. Shawna says:

yay for baseball season!! i just started talking to a new boy and he’s an O’s fan too. baseball makes me so happy. love that you listen to your body and adjust your workouts based on what you know is right for you — so smart. PS, B is adorbs and so sweet and love that shot of her rolling out your back. 🙂

15. ambertherunner says:

Kudos to you for listening to your body! It’s worth it to know you’ll be running far in the future, rather than risking injury for one race of many 🙂
    Frankly, I’m lovvvving finally being in the taper. It’s nice to have some free time on a weekday for once!

Looks like a great taper week to me! Sounds like you’re being super smart about not doing anything to aggravate your body. Even with the adjusted goals, I’m excited to hear how this race goes for you 🙂

I can’t believe your marathon is so close, eek! You have been kicking some serious a$$ this training cycle, so I hope you’re able to overcome your aches and pains and kick some more a$$ on race day!