Have a nice trip. See you next fall. {The Friday Five}

I’m not sure that this was quite what Mar, Cynthia and Courtney had in mind when they came up with “5 TRIPS”, but it was something fresh in my mind after the hot mess of a run that occurred yesterday morning. I figured I’d run with it. (Pun not intended.)

DC_linkup

Contrary to what some people might think after seeing a picture of me doing one yoga pose or another, I am a  klutz. We’re talking regularly running into walls, falling up and/or down the stairs, etc. I am pigeon toed and fall over my own feet pretty regularly. This often translates into my running and fitness so naturally I’ve had quite a few epic near-or-complete-spills in my day.

Salt’s Top Five Best Trips

1) The Half Marathon Training Trip

My first half marathon was the Baltimore Half in 2013. At the end of my training I got all brave and wanted to get in a full 13.1 mile run before the actual race. The run started out great, but disaster struck at mile 4. Here is how I recounted it in a blog post shortly following the experience:

Unfortunately the fact that it was still so dark ended up being a huge issue during mile 4. I was cruising along and really enjoying everything about the run. I made a left onto a new street that I don’t normally use on my route. Maybe 100 yards in, my toe caught on some uneven pavement that I couldn’t see at all and I went airborne.

I mostly landed on my right hip and knee and caught myself with my hands. The side of my right hand took the worst of the damage and for a minute I thought I might have broken my wrist. Luckily I didn’t break anything but I did lose a lot of skin and ripped the right knee out of my running tights. I’m glad it was cold enough for the tights because I don’t want it think about the road rash that could have happened on my legs. I sat there for a short time getting my bearings and almost called my husband to come get me, but then I remembered what I set out to do today and I just couldn’t let this stop me. So I picked myself up and I went. I kind of wish someone had seen me fall. I bet it looked pretty epic.

That would be the very first time I ever fell during a run and certainly not the last. Oh and I still wear those ripped out running tights sometimes during the winter. They are one of my favorite pairs.

2) That Cow at the Zoo trip

This one? NOT MY FAULT.

Zoo Zoom #1 in November 2013. I was warmed up (as much as I possibly could be because it was freaking FREEZING) and ready to race. I had even managed to snag myself a spot right at the starting line.

They started us off with an air horn, I started my Garmin and I was off for about 10 feet when some girl next to me who must have been running like Phoebe from Friends kicked me hard in the shin and I went down. I couldn’t believe it. She just kept on with no apologies like nothing happened as I laid on the ground. Luckily I recovered quickly and without taking anyone else down with me in the process. My left knee and hip had taken the brunt of the impact, but they felt okay so I pushed the incident out of my mind and got going.

I’m kind of surprised I didn’t get trampled to death because the beginning of Zoo Zoom is a complete frenzy. It felt like I laid of the ground forever, but the whole thing happened so fast. I was probably back up in just a couple seconds and in a blind rage ran my fastest mile at that time. I never did find out who tripped me, but as immature as this sounds I really hope I finished before she did.

3) The X-country trip

And I don’t mean the time I moved to California. Last year I ran in a race called the Cool Kids Running Festival benefiting the Cool Kids Campaign, which is one of my favorite charities. I knew going into this race that it was x-country, but I had never run in a x-country race before. I didn’t know how to prepare or what I was supposed to wear.

Well I can tell you that what you don’t want to wear is race flats which is unfortunately what I wore. This 5K wasn’t just x-country either; it was also on a trail where there were roots, rocks, and holes for me to trip over and fall into and I did a lot of that. And then the piece de résistance: a grassy ski slope so steep that my forward momentum almost sent me flipping down the hill.

I love Cool Kids Campaign, but that course was an accident-prone person’s worst nightmare.

4) THE NEW SHOE TRIP

I don’t know if I’ve yet discussed my love of Hoka on my blog, but I have been an avid fan since last year when I purchased a pair of Clifton. I had heard from so many people that these were the kind of shoes you want to run in if you have problems with your legs and…well…I think I have the market cornered on that. I fell in love with them immediately, but there was a catch; anyone who has run in Hoka is probably aware that the sole is somewhat crazy big. Compare that to the very low profile shoes I had been wearing at the time and the Clifton were GINORMOUS. I think you can probably see where I’m going with this.

Anyway one of my first runs out in my new Clifton and I was cruising along and feeling fine when I guess I temporarily forgot how much shoe was underneath my foot as I stepped up onto a curb. The bottom of my shoe caught the curb and I very nearly face-planted right onto the sidewalk.

10352392_977918062220597_7487433428165893499_n

Just recently I started wearing a new pair of Hoka Clifton and once again I am in love (stay tuned for a review of these awesome shoes coming soon!), but putting them on for the first time made me realize how worn down my old pair is. I have almost wiped out a couple times in the new shoes. For example, yesterday morning as I mentioned at the start of this post.

5) This was just stupid

I wasn’t even running. This ranks up there with one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life. I was at the gym on the stepmill. Just in case you don’t know what that is (which I am quite sure you all do) it is this:

815yLdnmFDS._SL1500_

So I’m on there watching TV. My headphones were plugged into the console. I don’t know why I decided I was going to try to take the steps two at a time; I’m not even particularly good at doing this machine ONE step at a time. But I did and it was a disaster.

I got my foot caught. I fell off the damn stepmill.

It was really loud. Oh yeah and remember how I was watching TV with my headphones plugged into the console? That made for an extra graceful exit. I felt like the entire gym came to a screeching halt when it happened. (Which it didn’t. I’m just melodramatic.)

I could have run away into the locker room and hidden in there forever, but instead I climbed back up on there and continued my workout like nothing ever happened even though inside I wanted to die of embarrassment. I sometimes wonder if anyone there remembers me from that incident.

And the list goes on.

Are you accident prone? Ever taken a spill while on a run? Or on a stepmill? 🙂

I hope everyone has a great (AND SAFE!) weekend!

47 thoughts on “Have a nice trip. See you next fall. {The Friday Five}

You win the award for best theme interpretation. I used to fall over a ton v(thanks no thanks stupid pronated ankles). There were actually marks on the hall back to my room from me biting it while cantering down the hall (pretending to be a horse bc duh). And I’ve had some epic Chicago falls. This why I will not be running trails.

This made my morning – I be you are the only one who will interpret the theme this way! I tend to block out accidents and falls – so good for you for making sure they are well documented! Man though, ripping off half your skin would have made me turn around.

3. Running Boston and Beyond says:

OMG, memories come flooding back! Training for Disney back in 1872 (2000), that moment when you’re feelin’ good, cruising down the hill and BAM, someone trips me (not really, I tripped on the smooth sidewalk). I came down so gracefully, I tore up BOTH sides of my right hand and had a mark on my left arm. My friend told me to put peroxide in it when I got home since there was dirt in it. Said it wouldn’t hurt. Do you remember that day, as I’m sure everyone in the entire universe heard me scream bloody murder. Not a fan of peroxide. Still have three scars from that experience.
    What about the “windmill near misses”. I could write books on those. At least I get my heart rate up though.
    You’re a champ sharing these experiences, making the rest of us feel more normal. It’s like when you ride your bike with bike shoes, you are 100% guaranteed to fall down, just waiting for it to actually happen. If I was running today, I’d totally be prancing as to NOT fall. 🙂

4. klregan says:

Haha! This is great. I love the interpretation of best trips. I’ve had a few rather klutzy moments of my running career as well, most recently being when I face planted on some pavement after slipping on ice.

5. Elizabeth says:

OMG This is terrific! While I have tripped plenty of times while running, and sprained my ankle too many times in a short period, I haven’t yet fallen while running. However, I am so accident prone, and I’ve fallen over while standing completely still so it’s only a matter of time before I fall during a run. I think I’ve gotten so good at recovering when I trip that I keep running or walking like nothing happened. People have actually commented on the fact that I do that, it takes skill.

6. Run Colby Run says:

Oh honey. This was fantastic. I feel you. And your 5 falls. I of course have my Epic, I’ll take 20 miles, an emergency room, 3 stitches, Dermabond and a big fat shiner for $400 Alex, fall. I’m meeting with a plastic surgeon to take care of the aftermath. And Hokas? Girl, I bit it last week in them. This was great. Painful, but great! xo 🙂

7. seetinarun says:

Awesome post, Salt! I’m right there with you. I have yet to train for a marathon without a Big Fall, so that is 3 right there. I have plenty of others, but the most recent one was as I was leaving my local running store, having just explained to them that I was limping due to a running fall, and I TRIPPED UP THE STAIRS ON MY WAY OUT. Thank God I don’t need to go back there anytime soon, although they are great guys and we had a good laugh about. If I ever used a stepmill, I am certain I would find a way to fall off. Thank your for this post! Terrific!

8. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

I love your interpretation of the theme! And you live to tell your harrowing tales of the falls!

I fear for a lot of people on the treadmills at my gym. I see some doing things like cranking it up to what is clearly faster than they can safely run, then try to hop on and off it while the belt is still moving. I, waiting for someone to fly off the back and into the nautilus machines.

My last solid fall was in New Orleans during a recovery run after my half. I don’t know what it says about me that I just don’t get embarrassed anymore when I fall or am clumsy.

9. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

Hahahaha this title. Brownie points to you for creativity.

I actually don’t have a single story like this (knocking on SO MUCH wood right now) — but I’m sure now that I’m starting to run longer distances, the occasional ankle roll or trip on the sidewalk is bound to happen. It’s good to see you can laugh about it later 😉

10. Rebecca Jo says:

OK – I’m the worst at laughing at people that fall. Heck, I laughed through your post… sorry #notsorry haha 🙂 I think I can laugh because I’m the QUEEN of tripping & falling!!!

I LOVE your play on words – so clever!!
    I’m sorry about all those nasty spills. I’m pretty accident prone too but only when it comes to things other than running. For instance, me and other sports (biking and anything with balls haha) do not get along. I’ve been hit in the head with baseballs, basketballs, etc (even when not playing!) and last time I rode a bike, I fell and scraped my knee open. No bueno 😦

12. alsoranagain says:

Ha! I love your spin on this week’s topic. I am also a klutz and have tripped several times–with two of those incidents resulting in permanent injuries. The middle finger on my left hand won’t straighten anymore after I fell onto it and jammed it in Chicago, and my right palm has diminished sensation after shredding it on a fall a few years ago. I’ve tried so hard not to trip anymore! I can’t handle another injury.

13. Alanna says:

This made me chuckle! I’m so accident prone it’s not even funny. 2 specific times come to mind. I used to be pretty hard core about my step aerobics, so I used 3 risers. I don’t really know how it happened but I fell off the step one day. Somehow I managed not roll into the fall and push myself right back up. I stood there for a minute like yeah I totally meant to do that. The other was much more painful. I was running with my husband when I was pregnant and totally tripped over the cement and face planted. You don’t realize how much that bump throws off your center of gravity. I hit my knee on the way down too so for the next few weeks at work I was hobbling around on a bad knee with a black eye. I didn’t run again for while after that. I was terrified. I feel like these things only happen to me so I’m glad to know that I’m not alone!

14. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

haha Silly kind of throw back post. ohh gosh #2I would have been so pissed. sounds like you were too.!
    and P.S you have two number 4’s. guess you don’t like the number 3. lol

15. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Bahahha, awesome interpretation of the ‘5 trips’ theme! 🙂 Try to be careful running your marathon, you’ve had enough injury issues leading up to it, it would be better if you managed not to trip, hurt yourself, and DNF it!

16. Shawna says:

haha this is awesome, and partly why i love your blog — you’re so creative and put your own spin on things, and i love how you write the way i imagine you’d talk! the “this was just stupid” caption for #5 cracks me up. bummer that you’re such a klutz (for you), but so entertaining for us avid Salt readers. 🙂

17. Kerrie says:

Oh we don’t have a step mill thank goodness….I couldn’t help but laugh a little before I even read it! Sorry! 😉

I’ve nearly gone over a few times but I’m lucky. So far I’ve stayed vertical on all my runs!

18. Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

Love this… I’m always terrified I’m going to fall on the treadmill at the gym. The only bad fall I can remember was during high school track I caught a hurdle and ripped a chunk of skin off my shin and then face planted. I still have a scar but running scars are okay with me 🙂

HA I LOVE that you did a Salt thing with this post :). I’m so glad you made it through all of these! That is really terrible that someone tripped you up at the zoo race and didn’t even have the decency to see if you were okay! I’ve tripped way to many times, especially while running! It was the reason for my injury last year, it was the reason for my injury a few years ago when I was wearing what was apparently the wrong shoe for me and I tripped in a hole and the entire shoe came flying off, and I have a pretty cool scar from somehow missing a low lying chain that was holding up a sign, but I think the one that sticks out the most is one of my two mile races in high school track. It was a really big meet and they had a jumbotron set up at the starting line. Midway through the race, I tripped right in front of where the camera was set up and some of the girls thought it would be fun to run over me too I suppose. I went to school the next day with track spike marks all along my leg and butt haha. I am glad we have yet another thing in common! 😉 Have a fun and trip-free weekend!

These are amazing stories! I’m super accident prone like you and I feel like I could do a similar post. Just so you can get a good picture of the hot mess that I am, I once sprained my ankle jumping on a trampoline. I have to give you props for getting back up and finishing your workouts in all of these!

21. Montana @ Pretty Lil Mudder says:

LOL I love this take on the Friday Five! Definitely the most unique and funny post I’ve seen so far! I haven’t taken a spill while running on pavement (yet), but I have sunk up to my waist in an unseen sinkhole mud pit during a mud run. I had to call my team back to help me out because I literally could not move. It was interesting to say the least!

22. wendyistakingthelongwayhome says:

OMG, I love this! I’ve had a few trips, like you, but my most remarkable was a non-running trip, over the curb heading into Target. I couldn’t get my feet back under me and flew face first into the bike rack. As I headed into it, I had a thought. “This is going to hurt”. And it did. I ended up in the back of an ambulance with a concussion, needing 5 stitches to close the laceration above my right eye. People couldn’t believe it was a non-running accident.

I love this, especially because I am so accident prone. I trip all the time. Actually I roll over my ankles all the time when I am walking. The day Rock proposed to me he took me out for lunch and as we left the restaurant I tripped over my own foot, fell and cut my knees, hands, and even my ankles. Later he told me he was afraid we would have to go home and the day would be ruined. I also tried to pass a real jerk during a race on a mountain. He got all egomaniac on me and wouldn’t let me pass and I tripped on something and ended up with a massive ankle that swelled up after every run for 6 months. Oh yes and I run into walls in our home all the time. I know, pretty sad.

24. Jennifer says:

Haha you are such a TRIP! <—-could not resist 🙂 I am accident prone, but luckily I haven't taken a spill outside (indoors I've fallen). I've had bicycle accidents (solo haha) but that is it

25. Meg says:

So – I completely know what you’re talking about when it comes to being pigeon toed and tripping on your own feet. Oh and the falling UP stairs thing… I have that down also. The toes of my few pair of nice heels (not that I have had an opportunity to wear any in a long time) are so scuffed up from my walking.

I absolutely love your spin on the topic this week, but not the fact that you fall a lot! ❤

26. thesimplepeach says:

I fell off a treadmill years ago in a gym in front of loads of people and for some reason the damn thing wouldn’t shut off. I still have scars on both knees…horrible!!!

27. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

HaHa! I included a trip of that nature in my Friday Five as well! It was last Saturday on a trail run. Of course I didn’t trip on the technical part of the trail, but on a nice flat gravel section. Go figure!

28. kiwiyogirunner says:

Awww I feel bad but I full on LOLed about the step master!
    I have had some horrible trips, one time I went flying right next to a busy intersection and luckily some nice people stopped their car to help me (kiwis are awesome 😉 )

29. faithrunningme says:

Not accident prone but I have my moments. I have come extremely close to falling off the treadmill taking it too fast.
    Be careful out there salt. The running world needs your awesomeness!

This is hilarious! (Is it mean to say that?) I’m sorry you’re so accident prone! Mercifully, I’ve never actually fallen during a run, although I have taken some excellent trip-and-almost-falls. Gotta love uneven pavement!

Lol – I love your interpretation of 5 trips and am glad to read I’m not the only accident-prone runner! I’ve taken so many trips over the years – down the stairs at my parents’ house, walking down the street in wedge heels and of course while running! Fortunately it hasn’t happened during a race … yet. Fingers crossed!