It’s all GOOD! {The Friday Five}

I want to give Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia a big ol’ group hug today because I needed this topic. Over the past couple weeks I’ve been so focused on the negative and I’m sure I haven’t been a very fun person to be around. My spring goal race that I’ve been training for since December is now 24 days away, it is my peak week, and I have run exactly one mile this week. ONE. I’m supposed to run 20 miles on Sunday and I bet you can all guess what is absolutely not happening.

Anyway this is not supposed to be a pity party. Today I’m going to attempt to focus on the things in my life that are GOOD right now even if I have to dig really deep to find five.

DC_linkup

1) Aerial Yoga

AKA the brightest decision I made all week.

A quick summary on what the past couple weeks have looked like for me: strep throat (antibiotics), rotator cuff flare up, infected tooth (more antibiotics), and then it was like my body completely revolted against me. My lower back, hips, and glutes have been in excruciating pain for some reason unknown to me or the yet-another-in-a-long-list-of-doctors that I visited. This would be why I’m not running right now. Until yesterday I could barely walk. I’ve been trying to put on a happy face and act upbeat about life in general, but frankly it totally sucks.

So then I decided to sign up for aerial yoga. I’ve been doing it on and off for years, but had forgotten about it for awhile until Chaitali started posting that she was taking classes (thanks for the motivation, lady!) Every time I go to aerial I leave feeling a little taller. Maybe that’s what I needed right now; to stretch everything out because my whole body just felt stiff and tight.

It was a small group and the teacher knew that I was there with back problems so I felt like a lot of it was geared directly toward me. It was marvelous. And then during the portion of class where we are encouraged to explore our own aerial yoga I did nothing but hang myself upside down in bound angle for about 10 minutes straight.

Source: Swide.com. I unfortunately don't have a photo of me doing this one.

Source: Swide.com. I unfortunately don’t have a photo of me doing this one.

I could literally feel my lower spine opening back up. After class I hurt, but then I drank a ton of water and by the time I was getting ready for bed I was feeling noticeably better. Now I can actually walk. It still hurts, but it’s progress.

2) Half Days of Work

YAY it’s GOOD FRIDAY!!! This means that I get to leave at 11:45. What in the world am I going to do with my several hours of free time this afternoon? Usually this would be a no-brainer; it’s going to be 70 degrees outside. But I’m still afraid to attempt running so we’ll see I guess. Maybe a nice long walk. Maybe I’ll get a Starbucks or go buy more unnecessary things at Target. The possibilities are endless. All I know is that I won’t be sitting in an office chair, which has been complete hell on my back.

3) These Greek Yogurt pops

IMG_4940

I made sure to take a picture of the box before devouring all of them. (Not in one day.) These are SO GOOD. They are also very natural, gluten-free, low in calories and fat and with a nice dose of protein. My grocery store had this flavor and also a vanilla bean (yum), coffee chocolate chip (yum), and coconut (gag), but apparently there is also a chocolate chip cookie dough, mint chocolate chip, and some others that I need to track down and try. Next time I need to get more than one box because I couldn’t take one out without Betty eating half of it.

4) The Haute Bar

haute_logo_sized

Pure genius. The Haute Bar is a blow dry bar located not too far from my house. What is a “blow dry bar”? you may be wondering. Or not, but I’ll tell you anyway…

This is a place where people like me go because they are hopelessly hairstyle-challenged. (I’m not quite as makeup-challenged, but they do that too.) I typically spend no more than 5-10 minutes on my hair every day because it’s long, straight, boring, and there’s really not much that can be done with it besides making sure it’s not wet when I leave the house and then putting it in a ponytail.

Anyway you go in to Haute Bar and for a very reasonable fee, a skilled stylist will transform your head into magic. I heard about it from an old coworker and was immediately obsessed even though I had no occasions coming up that would warrant me spending money for someone to do my hair.

Well last weekend I had a wedding to attend and my head has been looking like a “hot mess” lately as Betty would say. (Seriously. She tells me this.) I made my appointment for a dry style which was $25 and worth every penny and then some. I got compliments on my hair when I posted some photos on Instagram which some of you may have seen. So that’s my secret. I didn’t do my hair myself and THAT is why it looked so cute.

IMG_4832

Betty did not get her hair styled and just look at how naturally cute her hair is. Which brings me to…

5) Betty

You knew she had to be on this list because no list of good things would be complete without her. She’s the reason I haven’t come completely unhinged lately. Both because she’s wonderful and I can’t not smile when I’m around her, but also because I’m her mom and I consider it my duty to stay sane and take care of her.

IMG_5015

That doll she is holding is another “good” thing. Ella the Runner is a Go Go Sports Girls doll and currently one of B’s favorites. I’ve been pretty excited about these dolls ever since they popped up on Zelle the other week…they promote a positive, healthy, active lifestyle to youngsters and we need more toys like that out there! She’s so cute that I kind of want to get a second one for me. 🙂

Thanks again to our lovely hostesses for bringing a little happy back in my morning. More than anything in the world, I really don’t want anyone to feel sorry for me right now.  I have already gotten some very long runs in in preparation for this race and maybe that will be enough for me to at least finish it. I’m trying not to get too defeated yet.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

35 thoughts on “It’s all GOOD! {The Friday Five}

I know you don’t want to hear I’m sorry, but I’m sorry 😦 I cannot imagine the pain you are in. But the fact you came up with 5 good things, 5 really good things is awesome. And I love Betty. Group hug right back. xoxo

2. Alanna says:

I’m so sorry to hear that you are in that much pain! I hope today’s post was able to cheer you up a little. The Haute Bar sounds amazing and I wish that there was one around here! I never do my hair. I’d kind of like to try Aerial Yoga because it looks awesome yet incredibly terrifying for a clumsy person like myself. Betty is so cute! I love that doll. I think my daughter needs one too! Have a great weekend!

3. Theresa says:

More good…only one week left until OPACY is full of orange! Hope the pain starts to subside sooner rather than later. Miss your face.

4. afastpacedlife says:

Sorry to hear about how training is off this week. Hugs and more aerial yoga.

I love blow dry bars. They’re such a lifesaver for me because I don’t know how to do my hair (I’m not great with make up either).

Betty is always just plain awesome. Can’t wait to meet her.

5. aliceruns says:

It’s good to read you’re getting better! I hope soon you will feel good enough to run again.

I have a question about aerial yoga… It looks so cool and I’d really love to try that one day, but I am very new to yoga and generally very weak and inflexible (I’m trying to improve!). What level would you think is necessary to be able to participate in such classes safely and being able to actually do them?

6. Running 'N' Reading says:

My favorite local yoga studio offers aerial yoga classes fairly regularly and I’ve always been too chicken to go; maybe I’ll think about, after hearing about your amazing experience! You’re not the only one feeling tight all over – ugh. I hope things continue to improve for you. Those Yasso bars are to die for; I had no idea there were so many flavors, though; I’m going to have to start looking around at some other places. Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Ugh. That’s all I’m going to say about the negative. What is fabulous is that aerial yoga and being inverted in such a way is helping. have you tried an inversion table? My mom has used one and found that it really helps. And your hair looks amazing. We have a blow dry bar that just opened up next to my apartment building. If only I were still “fancy.” And Betty knows–you’re a runner, and you even have your own doll, so you’re KIND of a big deal 😀

8. FLRunnerBoy says:

Hmmmm … aerial yoga eh’ … looks like a great workout for the back lol. Awww you and Betty are too cute 😉 and I love you hair. No worries about that 20 miler, I run a couple miles for you. I hope that shoulder of yours is improving Salt xoxo. I know you feel considering my 3 1/2 month mystery injury.

9. Shawna says:

hope you start feeling back like your chipper self again soon, and don’t beat yourself up too much about the running. we all have those weeks, and you’re an amazing, strong runner! good luck with the long run this wknd. i really want to try aerial yoga at some point — i need to get over my fear of sucking at yoga b/c of my tight runner’s legs. i love how much you love Betty! she’s the cutest. and that pic of you two with the hair = adorable. have a great GOOD Friday and Easter wknd!

10. ironswimmingcoach says:

Tim Ferriss was talking about acro yoga on his last podcast, which really sounded interesting. Aerial yoga seems like something I’d like, but only if there was a mat below. With my luck I’d fall.

Aah you got the Runner Girl doll!!! I saw that a few weeks ago and have been wanting to get it for Charlotte. I hope you begin to feel better soon – don’t get defeated yet! You’ve got time.

Love your hair! Do you own hot rollers? You could totally do that on your own you know. And much love to Betty!

Gosh, Betty just lights my heart up. I love those dolls and can’t wait to get some for my nieces. If I have a girl I am definitely snagging one too! I love those Yasso bars. I haven’t had the caramel but if it is anything like the others…..yum! Fingers crossed that you are 100% again soon.

13. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

I know it’s been tough for you my friend, hugs. But, on the bright side, your 5 god things are pretty awesome! I love aerial yoga and I just tried the Yasso pops in mint chocolate chip, OMG–amazing!! Your hair looked awesome, I need to try a blow dry bar, my salon has one but I never considered it, but you sold me on it!! I can barely brush my hair straight by myself! HA! And…who couldn’t smile when around sweet B, she is such a shining light and loves you to pieces!! Have a good weekend my friend, xo!

Not a fan of all the crappy stuff that’s been happening, but glad you’re able to find some things to still be happy about. I need a blow-dry bar in my life. I suck at styling my hair. When it’s longer I usually just let it air dry and do its own crazy thing. Since I cut it all off, it does some weird flippy stuff that I’m not a fan of.

15. laurenwayjurlee says:

I completely understand what it feels like to be that tight. I get some relief from yoga, but I feel like all the yoga in the world will not open up my spine like I want it! I’m super impressed that you are coordinated enough for aerial yoga!

I’m glad you are starting to mend. I’ve pretty much felt sick and crappy for almost a month, so I definitely understand how frustrating it is.

16. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Way to stay positive 🙂 you have definitely had a rough time of it lately, but that just means that things can only get better.
    Also – I’m so excited by the idea of a running doll!!! I need to remember this for when I have kids (though that probably won’t be for a while, haha) 🙂 have a good weekend!

I’m so glad you’ve found something that makes you feel good. I think I’d be way too uncoordinated for aerial yoga!
    Keep up the positive attitude hun! We’re all pulling for your body to make it out of its funk ❤

18. irishrunnerchick says:

Hugs to you! It’s hard to stay positive when you’re hurting. Aerial yoga looks amazing although I think I might need a harness so I don’t kill myself. I’m hitting the grocery store later and will keep an eye out for those Yasso bars. Mmmm.

19. Marie (2 Generations Running) says:

Your daughter is so cute! And you’re right . Daughters are one of life’s greatest gifts and worth every moment we spend treasuring them- and running with them. And you look beautiful, too !! 😊 have a great weekend!!

20. Kerrie says:

I hope you’re on the mend! I’m sure even without that 20miler you’ll ace whichever race it is. That aerial yoga looks pretty awesome (and scarey!) Hope you guys have a nice easter. 🙂

21. Run Colby Run says:

What the Hell. 😦 I am sending you super positive vibes, Salt. And I have no doubt that you are ready. Muscles have memory. Just keep that in mind. They know what to do. Aerial yoga looks so fantastic! Your hair looks even more fantastic. And Betty? She’s The Most. Just like her Mom. Xo

Your hair looks great!! Yours and Betts selfies are the absolute cutest!! Oh and I need to thank you because I now have a cute Target dress:) I got one of the sleeveless ones with the crocheted backs! And to keep the good theme going…you’re so strong from previous training runs that I believe you will be just fine for your race. :)<3

23. kiwiyogirunner says:

It’s totally understandable to be focusing on the negative a little when you’re in such an incredible amount of pain! I really feel for you, being in pain all the time like that is so hard in so many ways. I actually think it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job of staying strong and determined 🙂 I really hope you feel better soon!

24. Lindsey says:

Betty is so, so cute! I was doing so well staying away from Target and then one weekend back and all I want to do is go there. The obsession is real. I had a blow dry bar do my hair for a wedding once, too, and it was amazing! They added so much volume to my poor hair (I have like a rat tail when I pull it back into a ponytail, so NO idea how they do it!). Your hair looks great!

25. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

I wish we had aerial yoga around here. Heck, I’ve been on the hunt (to no avail) for a noontime yoga class around here. Please excuse my pity party.

I really hope you get over the hump of all your health issues. Maybe your system is working them out so you can race better.