NJ Marathon Training Week 14 Recap

I’m hoping it’s uphill from here.

Week 14 Grade: C. Mostly from a health perspective.

Thank goodness this week was a step back in mileage. I already planned on going a little easier and not forcing any of my workouts due to the pain in my shoulder. I never would have guessed that my shoulder would be the least of my worries.

Monday, March 23: My legs were incredibly stiff following 20 miler #1 on Sunday. I was going to take a total rest day, but instead I went to the gym on my lunch break and got on the elliptical for 20 minutes to get my legs moving.  It helped.

Tuesday, March 24: 5 miles on the treadmill @ 8:16 pace which was much better than I thought I’d be capable of. In the evening my lower back was screaming so I went to yoga and only made it through about a half hour before calling it quits.

All these DNFs are starting to get to me.

Anyway, I rolled up my mat and headed home…and was just turning onto my street when I realized that I didn’t have my wedding rings on. Oh. No.

I pulled over and called Mr. Salt…

EXACTLY like this except I was in my car and not a phone booth.

It was EXACTLY like this except I was in my car and not a phone booth.

…and headed back to the gym. Me and my tear-stained face had to re-interrupt the yoga class that I had just interrupted by leaving shortly before which was pretty humiliating. Luckily everyone was wonderful and willing to help me look.

Long story short: we found them on the floor near the front door. I usually take my rings off when I go to yoga, but never, ever again.

Wednesday, March 25: I was supposed to run 8 miles, but I was so slow moving  when my alarm went off that I didn’t have enough time to get them all in. I did manage 7 at 8:48 pace. This is the day when things started to get bad.

My FACE hurt. I still have my wisdom teeth and I knew that they had to be the culprit. Occasionally I feel a little pressure from them, but nothing ever like this. It was so painful that I had a hard time concentrating during the day. Eating was almost unbearable.  I went to happy hour with my coworkers after work and was so miserable the entire time. I knew if things weren’t better tomorrow I’d be calling my dentist.

Thursday, March 26:  I was supposed to run 5 miles, but I decided to take a rest day. My shoulder and low back were aching when I woke up and my jaw was killing me.

But then it was 60 degrees outside. The sun was shining. I couldn’t waste the chance to run in shorts for the first time this year. I packed a bag and mapped a route around my office. I would take it slow. Everything would be fine. WRONG. I got a mile and a half in before my body completely shut down. My lower back/right hip was in so much pain that I could barely walk. If I weren’t so damn stubborn I would have called my coworker to come get me, but instead I hobbled painfully back to the office, so angry at myself for forcing this workout when I should have been resting.

On the way home from work that day I called and set up a date with my dentist for the next morning.

Friday, March 27: Rest day that would have been a rest day even if it were supposed to be a workout day. I was already pretty sure that I’d be missing my long run this weekend too. I went in to work for a couple hours and then to my appointment.

I hate the dentist. Now don’t get me wrong. Dr. N is actually really awesome and I think his office might be the nicest on the whole planet (we’re talking massage exam chairs, aromatherapy, and dvds playing on the ceiling while you get your teeth worked on). I’ve just had this weird fear of the dentist for as long as I can remember. I know I should have gotten these teeth out about 15 years ago, but kept putting it off and putting it off and now I was paying the price. My bottom left wisdom tooth is infected and Dr. N told me kindly that it was time to get them all removed and gave me a prescription and a referral to an oral surgeon whom I am supposed to contact and set up an appointment with on April 27.

See what I did there? New Jersey is on April 26. Dr. N told me that once we got past this infection, that I should be okay until after the marathon.

Also on Friday, I got re-familiarized with this thing:

319LvjK1UCL

I totally forgot I had it! After my appointment I spent a good bit of time stick-rolling my lower back and then many times throughout the weekend as well.. I hope my coworkers won’t think I’m weird when I bring it to the office.

Saturday, March 28: Plan said 12 miles. I went to the gym with no agenda. When I woke up I was actually feeling a little better (and finally not sweaty after a week of waking up completely drenched…thanks wisdom tooth!) After stretching a bit, I hopped on a treadmill to see how some easy miles would feel and ended up getting in 8 (9:07 pace).

Dancing counts as cross training, yes? Because Saturday afternoon I went to a wedding. A couple glasses of wine and you can’t keep me off a dance floor.

Note: I am NOT a good dancer, but also after a couple glasses of wine I don’t care.

Sunday, March 29: Cross training day, but I had other plans. Knocked out the last 4 miles of my split long run (7:58 pace), more stretching, more stick rolling and then a really great nap in the afternoon. I think the antibiotics make me really tired, but overall I am feeling relief and wondering if the tooth has been affecting my shoulders. I’m pretty sure my lower back pain is due to overcompensating for my upper body pain.

I’m just a mess.

So here we are at my last really long run week and I’m nervous. I have 20 miles on the menu for Easter Sunday and will be focusing on stretching and taking it very easy any time I run between now and then. I looked at my training app yesterday and was shocked to see that I’m under 30 days out now.

My goals for this race have been altered, but one thing remains the same. I just want to go out there and have fun and hopefully have a shiny new medal around my neck at the end.

How do you feel about the dentist? Have you ever had to alter your race goals?

I hope everyone had a happy weekend. 🙂

36 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 14 Recap

1. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

SO glad you found your wedding rings!! That’s such a terrible feeling to realize you don’t have them on. I agree — no more storing them on the floor during yoga class!! 😉

I hope you feel better soon. I guess one way to look at it is that it’s better to know about your shoulder injury and tooth infection now when you still have plenty of time to deal with and correct them rather than have things go awry the week before your marathon, right?

2. klregan says:

Oh no! Your week sounds like a challenge. I hope you’re doing better and that this next week is awesome! What kind of yoga are you doing with the shoulder injury? If it’s soft tissue damage, I’d stay away from hot yoga, since that just opens soft tissue more, and you likely don’t need that right now. Have you been to any yin classes? Also, straight up beginner Hatha classes work or even (I know I’m going to sound crazy) going to an old person yoga class. I used to do this when I was injured with my ankle. They loved to have me there, and I was not having to do the postures that were hurting me. I still got a bit of mobility, but I wasn’t being encouraged to do anything that maybe my body wasn’t ready for yet. Sorry for the long comment, but get better soon!

3. aliceruns says:

I am not scared of the dentist. I used to be, but then I met a wonderful dentist and even though I am still scared of the needles and shots, and the procedures are not pleasant in the least, I am not scared of the visits. I view them as something that has to be done in order to stay healthy.

It sounds like its just one thing after about for you! When things get like that for me, I usually realize (after the fact) that I was really stressed in other areas of my life.
    What a scare about your wedding rings! Glad it all worked out ok!

5. JessD says:

Oh man, I’m also in the midst of adjusting a race goal and trying to accept that I may not be able to safely meet my original goal, so I completely feel for you! Nothing like a lower leg injury followed by the worst cold/sinus infection of my adult life to knock things off kilter. But at least your health issues are happening now when you have time to adjust versus the week of the race, and I’m betting you’ll still have an awesome race 🙂

6. Corinne says:

UGHHHHH I hate the dentist! Luckily my current dentist is great but yeah….don’t like them! I had to have my bottom two wisdom teeth out a few years ago and it was awful for the first couple days. The only real plus side was getting to enjoy Wendy’s root beer Frosty floats for about a week straight!

7. Maddie @ Dixie Runs says:

Oh my gosh, losing my ring is one of my worst fears!! So happy you found it. No one likes the dentist, but having my wisdom teeth removed was actually not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I also ate about 10lbs of frozen yogurt that weekend so that always helps.

Dancing definitely counts as cross training !!!

oh man mama, so sorry you’ve been through the ringer. I know you’re a trooper but give yourself rest days even if you feel like you can go – you don’t want to make yourself worse!! and glad you found your wedding rings – I can’t imagine!

AAAhhh…at least all this is happening now and not closer to the marathon. You’ve got one long run and taper to get through and get rid of all this extra stress. Rest rest rest!!! And where is your dentist? I’ve been on the fence about switching…and massage chairs and aromatherapy sound right up my alley. As you know, I have had to alter race goals, but I got through it just fine. Your race will be awesome. 4 weeks to go!

10. FLRunnerBoy says:

Awwww Salt you poor thing … sending you many xoxoxo’s 🙂 and the dentist!!! … UGH!!! Thanks for reminding that I needed to schedule that much dreaded appointment friend. Hatred for dentist … ummm YEEEAAAHH!!! Let’s just put it this way, until last year it was about 4-5 since I had seen a dentist. They literally held me hostage almost trying to up sell me on unnecessary cosmetic junk cause apparently my smile wasn’t perfect enough. I had to break out of there!!! So yeah, do much care for dentist but I finally have my old dentist again so it’s at least bearable lol. And I’ve had to alter race goals twice this race alone. My January 5K where I was looking to PR for the second time in there year had to be run conservatively due to injury and the my February 8K had to be run conservatively, and then my half mary this month I had to completely withdraw from. I tell you Salt … I’ve been a hot mess since late December and now you Salt … this for the birds!!!

Geez, will it never end? I hope the meds kick in fast and get your face feeling better! I always thought I didn’t have a problem with the dentist, but I realized last time I went that I keep my fingers clenched together in a death grip the whole time, and my entire body is tense. Obviously not quite as relaxed about the whole thing as I thought!

12. Rebecca Jo says:

Girl.. I feel you. I just canceled my dentist appointment this morning because I hate going. I have jaw pain right now with a possible broken tooth up in the gum… but I keep putting it off to see how long I can handle it. Dental issues are just MISERABLE!!!!

So glad you found your rings! That’s the scariest feeling!

13. Jess @hellotofit says:

Girl, you’ve been through a few challenges lately! Going to the dentist SUCKS, but it sounds like this visit was necessary – at least after your April surgery, you’ll feel better, right?! Hopefully before that, the pain will subside. Hang in there!! xoxo

14. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

Darn.. maybe not the best of weeks for you, but hopefully this week will ease up and you’ll start feeling better about it. and hopefully those darn wisdom teeth will stop bugging you.!

15. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Wow, you really did have an AWFUL week. 😦 I’m sorry, all the health issues suck. I really hope you’re feeling better this week! Just think about all the Easter chocolate you can enjoy guilt-free after your 20 miler!!! I’m rooting for ya!

16. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

Oh man this has been a week! Sending hugs over to you! I don’t even know which of these things would send me over the edge but I’m sure something would. I actually don’t even wear my ring often because of my fear of this sort of thing! Hopefully the extra rest will ease some of the pain. Wishing much better luck for this week!

I’m hear if you need to talk–this is right where I was before MCM. I was terrified, frustrated, and just didn’t know what to do. But here’s the hard truth: your long term health is what is most important. It is also the hard truth that this is why the marathon is so hard–it isn’t just the race! I so understand what you are dealing with–feeling betrayed by your body in many ways.
    Just know that if need be, I will piggy back you through. But in the meantime, take care of yourself, stay positive and optimistic, but realistic–put yourself in a place to make a game time decision, and don’t push past a point of no return. Love you mamasalt!

Oh Lauren, I’m so sorry. I know how frustrating this must be especially so close to the race. But what is most important is that you take care of yourself. There will be lots of races, they aren’t going anywhere! I had to reevaluate my goals for Paris when I got sick for 6 weeks over the holidays when I was supposed to be training. I had hoped for a sub 4, but that isn’t going to happen. I hope you feel better soon!! xoxox

Urgh, what is the point of wisdom teeth?! I mean really?!?! They come in just to be a pain. I had mine removed years ago and it’s no fun so I’m glad to hear you can wait until after the race to get that done.
    As for your race goals, I don’t think you have to alter them yet 😉 You’ve had such an amazing training cycle (and it’s not over yet!) that I don’t think this week will define how you do. But I do think you’re right that the most important thing is to enjoy the race!

20. Jennifer says:

So glad you found your wedding rings – I was about to tear up myself when I was reading it! Sorry to hear about all the health setbacks, hope you are feeling better this week and the prescriptions are helping with your tooth.

21. hellyontherun says:

I would die a thousand deaths if I lost my rings. I can only imagine the fear that went through you thinking you lost them! I’m sooo glad everything turned out okay!
    Super bummer about these aches and pains 😦 I hope things clear out so that you’re feeling better come race day♡

Girl, what a week! So glad you are still in one piece and with your rings. And then the teeth? Ugh, Rock and I have been lazy the last few years and skipped the dentist (me mostly just because of lack of dental insurance). But we both agreed that this spring it is time to go. I’m nervous to put it lightly. By the way I am a terrible dancer. I am so bad that I was in a wedding last June and when they had the wedding party dance I didn’t realize it would be a fast song. I walked up to the guy I was supposed to “dance” with and when I started he gave me the funniest look as if he couldn’t hide the thought, “You’ve got to be kidding me!” It was hilarious. After a few drinks I don’t mind dancing and I think I get my “rhythm” or at least it feels like it 😉

23. irishrunnerchick says:

Oh my gosh – that is quite the week! I’ve only been married a little over 6 months but am convinced I’m going to lost my ring every day. Am with you on the dentist hate – and still having all of my wisdom teeth. Plus I had a pain in my jaw a couple of weeks ago. I hope you feel better soon. But I would say don’t panic about the race right now. You’ve had a great training cycle and this is just a little blip. You’ve put the work in so don’t doubt yourself too much now.

😦 I’m so sorry you’ve been in so much pain lately! Please take care of yourself this weekend, my friend! Even if that means taking it easy and no running on a warm weather day. Marathon or not, your health is important no matter what! And also don’t count yourself out of anything for the marathon. You just had a great 20-miler. Adjustments can’t take that away. You’ve put in a ton of great work and now you need to take a step back from the plan on the days your body is telling you to. I want you to make it to that line feeling great! 🙂

25. Alanna says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your awful week! Rest up! I really hope you start to feel better quickly. Getting your wisdom teeth out isn’t too bad. It’s been about 13 years since I had mine out. I’m sure you’ll still rock that marathon!

26. Change of Pace says:

Sorry to hear about all your ailments. Hopefully the meds work and your jaw doesn’t hurt anymore until after the race.
    If you can’t go the full 20 this weekend, don’t stress! Better to get to the start line healthy than have that one training run checked off. (In four standalone marathons and four ironman training cycles, I’ve only ever ran one 20 miler total in training! )

27. the mile report says:

Oh man, what a week! Glad you finally made that dentist appointment. I got my wisdom teeth out in high school, and I don’t remember it being bad at all! you’ll be okay 🙂
    I don’t mind the dentist, but I still tear up when I get shots at the doctor.
    Sounds like your overall training has gone really well, so even if you don’t get in the whole 20 this weekend, I don’t think you necessarily need to readjust goals just yet.

Oh no – sounds like a very stressful week! I’m glad you found your rings and that you were able to get in to take care of the wisdom teeth. Hopefully it’s smooth sailing from here to the race 🙂

You’ve had so many great weeks of training, I don’t think this one week will make a difference because you’re already so fit. Get back on track this week and you can still race with confidence 🙂

29. wendyistakingthelongwayhome says:

Sounds like a tough week. I sure hope things turn around for you.

And maybe you’ll still have tons of endorphins coursing through your body the day after the marathon….your dental appt might be ok! I’ve had a ton of dental work done, and I’m with you…it’s not fun. Hang in there, my friend. Hopefully this week is better.

30. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

I would have a HEART ATTACK if I lost my wedding rings — no wonder everyone understood! Also I didn’t know you could roll your lower back with that thing…I have a Tiger Tail and I’ll definitely have to try it out.

I had a few runs where I felt like I was in so much pain that I knew my body couldn’t take it anymore. And now that I’m done with my 100 I seriously have spent this whole day in bed because my body is in so much pain. You can push your body to its limits but then it’s just as important to let it rest!