Spring Has Sprung! {The Friday Five}

Hey everybody! It’s the first day of spring and guess what’s happening outside?

photo

Mother Nature…you are a hag and I am NOT AMUSED.

DC_linkup

So I’m going to join my friends Mar, Cynthia and Courtney today for the Friday Five where we will talk about 5 THINGS WE LOVE ABOUT SPRINGTIME! And I will sit here and not look out the window because if I can’t SEE the snow it means it doesn’t exist. Right?

RIGHT!?!?!

25eyd5c

1) Running in shorts.

I’m sure you knew this one was coming and I will be shocked if I’m the only Friday Five participant that mentions it. I miss my warm weather running wardrobe something terrible. Now I don’t know how anyone else feels about me running in shorts right now because my legs are pasty and terrifying, but guess what? Put on sunglasses if you have to look directly at me because the moment the temperature rises above 60 degrees again, it’s ON.

This does not qualify as pasty. If I posted a picture of my legs in their current state no one would ever read my blog again.

2) Playing Outside.

Between last week and then this past Monday and Tuesday I became irrationally optimistic that spring was here and that there would be more outside playtime. I guess there could be today if we put on snow pants.

Betty was able to enjoy some fun times with sidewalk chalk and some swinging with Mr. Salt.

swing

Now THAT is the face of a child that is thrilled to be outside!

But now we’ve been driven back inside again. The playgrounds in our neighborhood are calling our names. Now that the days are longer, we are ready to make outdoor activity an every day thing.

3) Baseball Season!!

3 MORE WEEKS!!! 3 MORE WEEEEEEEEKS!

I’ve expressed my undying affection for my hometown Baltimore Orioles on the blog before and now in just 20 short days a brand new season of fun, family times at Camden Yards will be here. It’s so close I can almost hear the crack of the bat, smell the peanuts roasting and taste the $18 beer.

1932377_10152194639406836_2341980424828403967_n

Even Betty loves baseball. Every time we head anywhere near downtown she asks if we are going to a game. No, Betty, because the Orioles are in Florida right now WHERE WE SHOULD BE.

4) Crab feasts, pool parties & BBQs

With the exception of some Christmas parties, it is my belief that the BEST parties happen in the spring and summer. Crabs will be back in season soon which means they will only cost an arm instead of an arm and a leg. Pools will open in May and I will get to take my girl swimming. I will eat meat off the grill and drink cold glasses of wine and margaritas on a deck somewhere with a warm breeze blowing through my hair. In this fantasy I also have a glorious tan, I’m 5 years younger and I’m a millionaire.

Did I mention it’s snowing outside right now?

bf061a004ccf9861a849d96133605c7c

5) Spring Races.

Let’s get back to running. Some of the best events happen in the spring. Sole of the City is coming up in a couple weeks,  and then tons of great races in May and June including the return of The Color Run (Come run with us! BALTIMORE2 at check out for a discount!), the Baltimore Women’s Classic, the Frederick Half and the Baltimore 10 Miler just to name a few. I’ll be taking a little break between April 26th and The Color Run on May 23 because last year I learned the hard way why you don’t race so soon after a marathon. After that though? RUN ALL THE RACES.

Is there snow where you are today? Can you wear shorts on your runs yet? (If so I am ridiculously jealous of you right now.)

I hope everyone has a great and non-snowy weekend! I’m going for 20! Wheeeeeee!

43 thoughts on “Spring Has Sprung! {The Friday Five}

1. runtobefree10 says:

YES!!!! BASEBALL!!!!!! LETS GO O’S!!!! I want to see you and Betty at the yard this year! 🙂 Also, Crabs… omg, how did I freaking forget!! /facepalm Bad Baltimore girl… *sigh*

2. Running Boston and Beyond says:

What’s up with the ginormous port-a-jon behind Betty? Anyway, made me giggle because I’M NOT STRESSED ABOUT THE MARATHON THIS WEEKEND. NOPE. I lied.
    Warm weather is the bomb. People driving around in open jeeps, sand, the smell of sunscreen, kids home from school (that’s both good and bad), grilling every day at all times of the day because it’s summer and there’s no rules, and happier people. Can’t wait, as long as it arrives after noon on Sunday 🙂

3. aliceruns says:

I probably could run in shorts already, but… I do not own any! I started runinng in November and I only have 2 pairs of long pants. Need to break my piggy bank and get myself some more weather-appropriate apparel. Don’t worry, soon enough we will be complaining that it’s way too hot and too humid!

4. faithrunningme says:

I’m hoping your spring weather looks more like spring soon for you. The weather here in the south is rainy and muggy. I love spring time and I am ready for shorts. But first I need a tan and some toning.

5. irun4pizza says:

We are scheduled for flurries on Monday, but today is supposed to get up to 60. You bet your pasty legs I’m going to be wearing shorts and showing off MY pasty legs! Anything between 50 and 60 degrees I do the whole tall socks with shorts thing. Above 60 degrees it’s just regular shorts.

& yes, your explanatory gifs make me feel all the feels you’re feeling in regards to Spring/Summer. I’m ready for it now.

6. wendyistakingthelongwayhome says:

I was happy to wear capris a few days this week…but it was back to long tights again. We’re heading to Florida this weekend and I can’t wait to bare my pasty legs. I don’t even care who they frighten! I’m so over winter.

7. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Haha, I’m one of those bloggers with you on the whole ‘running in shorts’ thing!! My legs are scary white right now too though. For once, we’re missing the snow here in northern Mass, but I feel your pain. COME ON SPRING!!!

8. Run Colby Run says:

Oh Poodle. I feel you. My legs are GLOWING white. And the closest I came to shorts was my Janji Capris which revealed sickly white calves. It’s 25 degrees out. And snowing.

Let’s make a pact to remind each other of this very day when it’s 97 degrees with 100% humidity. #pinkyswear 😦

9. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

Mother nature is a B***H! I am with you, I cannot wait for the real Spring to arrive, running outside in shorts and all that comes along with good weather and happier people! Happy Friday my friend, have an awesome day and rock your long run this weekend!!

10. kiwiyogirunner says:

It is definitely shorts weather here but I am more of a capris girl to be honest! My legs are permanently pasty because I have the whitest skin ever though so I probably don’t get quite as much joy out of shorts as others do haha. Love the swinging picture of Betty too 🙂

11. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

Hahhah that snow! Mother nature can be so cruel!

Now that I live just down the street from Wrigley Field I’m SO EXCITED for baseball season this year! The Cubs are terrible but it’s always such a fun time 🙂

Can you fly my out there for a crab feast? Nothing sounds better than that. YUM!

Seriously, I’m so tired of winter. No snow today, but there’s supposed to be snow tomorrow, which makes sense of course because I’m supposed to run a 10k. Oy. I CANNOT wait for warmer temps, running in shorts and tanks, the return of runching, and my summer musical. Wheee!

It’s about to dump snow on me too – ugh. I’m just hoping it doesn’t affect plans for my race tomorrow. I was getting so psyched for spring racing!! And I so wish I could be wearing shorts right now…just a few more weeks hopefully 🙂

14. Diann says:

The snow in the Boston area is no longer piled 6-ft high, which is seriously disorienting after the historically insane winter we’ve had, so even though it’s not exactly spring-like at 28 degrees right now by any other geography’s barometer, it actually totally seems like we’re on our way. And by the way, your Thursday schedule totally motivated me to get up for early (very cold!!) runs this week. Thank you, and good luck with your 20!

15. Jennifer says:

I feel your pain with the noted exception of the shorts. I’m a dedicated yoga pants girl, year round. We catch crabs off the dock in NJ and cook them into spaghetti sauce – best thing ever.

16. Jessica says:

woo hoo.! this post makes me excited for the spring 🙂 I wore shorts one day.. and it was very nice and different. But still too chilly in the mornings, but if I ran in the afternoon than I defenitly would be able to.!
    we didn’t get a single day of snow where I live. ha

17. Jennifer @ Running on Lentils says:

Yep, snow here in Pittsburgh today too. Although, the last time it snowed last year was April 11, so I’m just pretending it will always be snowing and cold so that when warm weather comes I’m pleasantly surprised. “Taste the $18 beer: ha ha! So true! Happy Spring!…or maybe “Spring” in quotes???

18. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Ha ha, I saw your picture of the snow on your car and thought…that’s nothin’ hunny! We just had two major storms in 4 days….I’m pretty sure I will never see the pavement or bare legs outside again!
    Fingers crossed mother nature gets her shit together 😉

During the depths of winter I never thought we’d see the day when we could wear shorts again 🙂 I’ve been able to wear them during a few runs now and believe I’ll even get to race in them tomorrow. Can’t wait!!

20. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

girl. don’t even get me started on this crap weather. ugh. but..real talk…you wait til it’s 60 to pull out shorts? i’m a 40 degrees = shorts weather kinda gal. 🙂 happy weekend!

21. alsoranagain says:

Ugh–that snow! Mother Nature seriously needs to cut it out, because I don’t have time for that. I need nice weather when I visit! Boo.

I am dying to have crab when I visit, too. Crab season opens April 1…

Even though I’m running in shorts now, my legs are still eh. I don’t know what it is about me, my arms and face tan, but I can run in a sports bra and shorts all spring and summer and still have a pasty stomach and legs. Have a great 20-miler and a great weekend! 🙂

23. thesimplepeach says:

UGH!!! Snow 😦 I am sending good Southern vibes to you for Spring to hit soon! Awww…summer BBQs, yes! I am ready for our farmer’s market to be back open and Braves games!!!

I couldn’t believe we got snow again 😦 but fingers crossed that is is! I’ve never been a giant baseball fan but I love basketball so I love spring for March Madness 🙂

25. Jess@Flying Feet In Faith says:

Lol myyyyy legs are scary pasty! But I love my shorts! Especially my hot little Under Armour compression shorts. They make me feel free and fast. We have no snow but buckets of rain. I think if we were to get more snow I’d curl up and sob in a corner. I just can’t. No. I need my sun!! Wishing you sun and warmth your way! Not a baseball fan but def an outdoor play time fan. Hiking, trail running, park time with the kid. 🙂