NJ Marathon Training Week 12 Recap

In summary:

like-a-boss-andy-samberg

Week 12 Grade: A+ x infinity

Way good considering that I was sick for most of the week.

Monday, March 9: MEGAbarre. I was back on that crazy torture contraption again only this time the class was way more fun. Probably because I wasn’t a bumbling idiot with no idea what I was doing.

And let us not forget a fun evening fro yo date with Mar!

Tuesday, March 10: 5 miles @ 8:03. It was a little chilly outside. The route I had planned is mostly uphill for the first couple of miles, then loops around and heads back mostly downhill. I had a nice little progression run going…8:33, 8:02, 7:58…I was cruising along and then suddenly ICE ICE ICE EVERYWHERE. I didn’t even see it until I was trying to run on top of it. One of my legs shot out from under me, but somehow I managed to stay upright. Mile 4 @ 8:03. I finished up mile 5 in 7:36, really happy with how it had gone, but for some reason I was feeling much more exhausted than I normally would after 5 miles. It would become apparent why as the day went on and a pinching sensation started in my throat and my glands started to swell in my neck.

Swollen glands or no, I wasn’t going to miss my Floyo Combo class that evening which I recapped here in all its Ugg boot wearing, surfboard yoga-ing glory.

photo 4

Wednesday, March 11: 8 miles and YEP definitely sick. I’m also definitely stubborn and don’t like to admit illness so I figured it would be okay if I just did my run on the treadmill rather than outside. I would have an easy out if I needed to call it quits early.

The run started off okay. I was playing with my pace and hill settings to keep from getting too bored. Then about 3 miles in this guy got on the treadmill next to me. He was familiar; I see him around the gym all the time. Anyway I was instantly super annoyed because there are about a hundred treadmills and plenty of them were open.

After a little while though I didn’t mind him so much. It was clear that he was pacing me because he would look over at my display ever so often and adjust his own treadmill. So I decided that I was going to have a bit of fun and pushed a little harder than I normally would. This was supposed to be a pace run, but I was already way ahead of marathon pace.

I finished up my 8 miles in 1:02:54 (7:51 pace) and as I was cleaning up the sweaty mess on the treadmilll, guy next to me smiled and said “That was a great run!” It was a nice compliment, especially since he had kind of been invading my personal space. I almost forgot I was sick until around 10 am when I had the worst headache ever and could feel a fever coming on. It hurt to swallow. I took Advil and pushed through, even going to hot yoga that night in an attempt to sweat out whatever it was. I felt a little better afterward, but not much.

Thursday, March 12:  woke up at 1 am with a fever of nearly 102. Took more Advil, went back to sleep, and when my alarm rang at 5:15 there was just no way conceivable way that 5 miles was happening. My alarm went off again at 6:30 and somehow I managed to get myself dressed and to work where I sat at my desk for a couple hours before finally admitting defeat and going to the doctor. It took about 5 seconds to get a diagnosis. I already knew what it was before they told me.

photo

I didn’t have to go back to work that day so I picked up my multitude of prescriptions and headed home to sit on the couch. After the painkiller they had given me kicked in and I was feeling much better and it was so warm and pleasant outside. My windows were open and the birds were singing. Maybe I could lace up my shoes and go out for a little walk. Fresh air might be good for me.

I got to the end of my drive and thought…hey I feel pretty good right now. I had my watch on and everything. Maybe I could go for a little jog. I would take it really slow and easy and not worry about my pace. So that’s what I did and I was shocked when my watch signaled that I had gone a mile and I looked down to see that it said 8:19. I felt fantastic. I might as well keep going right? Mile 2 and 3 in 7:34  I have no explanation for what happened during mile 4 beyond maybe the pharmacy accidentally swapped my z pack for steroids.

photo 1

This was the fastest mile I’ve run so far this year.  I paused my watch and saved the run. I wanted to stop while I was ahead. Instead I treated mile 5 as a cool down and despite my efforts to keep it slow my pace was still 8:06.

So yeah running was maybe not the best idea that day, but I felt awesome afterward and I’m not going to lie…I was completely out of my mind elated over it.

Friday, March 13: LEGIT REST DAY. I was feeling much better, but I had pushed my luck enough for one week.

Saturday, March 14: And as anyone around here who ran a Rock n Roll race in DC that day can tell you, it was freaking pouring. I had a half marathon planned and wasn’t about to drag myself through the rain for 13.1 miles after having just been sick. Off to the gym I went with that same time pressure I had from a few weeks ago. 2 hours to get it all in before Mr. Salt had to go to work.

The time was a total non-issue. I finished in 1:47:05.

photo 3

That’s one of my fastest half marathons. While I wasn’t keeping track of my laps, I do know that it was negative split after negative split because I was adjusting my pace and elevation through the whole run.

Sunday, March 15: REVBlast!!!! I love REV Cycle so much and it was even better this time around because it sounded like they got a new sound system in there and my ears didn’t feel like they were getting assaulted.

I’ve noticed something over the past couple weeks: since I started back to spin class, my running times seem to be improving. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but  I’m going to continue to keep it at one of my main cross training activities just in case.

Also yesterday I went to a restorative yoga class that was so restorative that I literally fell asleep for a few minutes in the middle of class. Then I got a massage, which I was way overdue for and hurt like hell, but I can tell some of the kinks got worked out. She must have really gotten into my muscles though because this morning when I woke up I could barely move.

Week 12 Mileage: 31.1 although if you count the week from Sunday to Saturday I had my highest mileage week EVER at 49.1.

I am SO EXCITED, you guys. Throughout the past 12 weeks I’ve had some runs here and there that felt good and gave me a little bit of confidence, but this whole week was my far the most solid altogether. Everything felt great – workout wise. Obviously the strep throat did not feel great, but I’m feeling nearly 100% now and ready to take on Week 13!

How is everyone else’s training going? Do you run/work out when you’re sick? Do you take spin classes? When was the last time you had a massage? Does it annoy you when someone gets on the treadmill RIGHT NEXT TO YOU at the gym!?

I hope everyone had a great weekend and that this new week is wonderful for you all!

80 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 12 Recap

1. kiwiyogirunner says:

Wow you are such s machine for running with strep throat!! In the best way! 🙂 not to mention a 6.47 mile!! Wow! 🙂 I don’t run when I’m sick, I seem to have a not great at all immune system and really struggle to shake stuff off. I’m still fighting something I had a few weeks ago! My last massage was a week ago before my flatmate went on holiday, we take turns giving each other massages after a crazy waitressing shift, it’s a good situation 🙂

I wish I had a live-in masseuse! That sounds like the best kind of living situation!
      I am just really super stubborn and don’t like admitting that I don’t feel well. Probably not the smartest way to be, but this week it seemed to work in my favor.

2. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

Yay, what an AMAZING week (minus the strep of course!!) I am SO SO excited for your race!! Also, I am a big believer that spin helps you run faster so I can see why adding it in has had a great impact on your times! Every time I see your paces I get excited because I just know you are going to be great in NJ!! Keep up the awesome week and here’s to another amazing week for you my friend! xo

Thank you! Ugh I was so mad about the strep, but the antibiotics knocked it out pretty fast.
      I’m finally getting excited too and it’s funny this time around how I am not like over the top nervous for all my longer training runs. Last year I was losing my mind with worry over the 20 that I had to run and this week is my first 20 and I’m barely thinking about it.
      Thank you so much! I really hope I can have a good race up there. 🙂

3. aliceruns says:

Congrats on the times! I hope you’re feeling better now.
    I woke up with a throbbing in my throat on Friday and, lo and behold, I’m in my jammies skipping work now trying to recover from the flu asap. I still got two outdoor runs this weekend… Just started with 10k training and I won’t let a virus get in the way of that! Registered for my first race in May, so I have to prepare well for it, right?

Thank you! I am feeling much better today and just took my last dose of antibiotics. 🙂
      I just saw your post! Congrats on registering for your race! I hope you feel better fast and can get right back into your training. ❤

Wow, that’s an amazing week given you had strep throat! Really impressive. And you definitely made the right decision to go for the treadmill on Saturday. The rain was miserable. I’m glad you’re back to 100% 🙂

Thank you! I know right!? There were literally 30 other places he could have gone! I am still loving it so much. I’m going to be so sad when my month runs out!

5. wendyistakingthelongwayhome says:

I usually run when I’m sick…if I can pull off a good run, then I can gauge how sick I really am. If not, then I know it’s time to admit defeat and head to the couch. Luckily, it doesn’t happen very often. At least with strep, you know you’ll be better after a couple doses of antibiotics! Glad you were able to pull off that awesome half–on the mill no less!

Me too. I usually just go with the neck rule, although it was kind of a toss up whether this would have counted as above or below. I just took my last dose and am feeling pretty great today! Just a little tired still. 🙂

Thank you! I’ve gotten a little too used to the treadmill this winter haha.

Thank you! It takes A LOT to get me to go to the doctor, but I’m really glad I didn’t wait too long. I’m feeling so much better now! (It was definitely awful though!)

6. Corinne says:

If I’m sick, there is no working out in any way, shape, or form. Can’t do it. It takes me forever to kick any kind of sickness out of my body, so when I do get sick, it’s usually pretty bad (like 6 years ago when I had the mother of all sinus infections AND strep throat, which eventually turned into bronchitis….seven weeks of being sick was not fun). I’m allergic to all antibiotics except for the two that can cause liver failure as well….so I try to just simply not get sick! But hey, if you were feeling good, there’s no reason to not go for a run!

Oh my god no. If I had all that I would have stayed inside. Sinus infections are the worst. And I never run with anything below the neck. Luckily I’m only allergic to penicillin so I’m open to taking other things even if pretty much all of it gives me terrible medicine head. 🙂
      That was totally my thought process too. 🙂

That is one incredible week and to do it being seriously sick? Like a boss for sure! Congrats on a great week. You should be super proud of that and that sub 7 mile! Woot!

Amazing week! It must be the spring air coming through 🙂 Glad you’re feeling better too! And I’ve totally worn compression socks at the gym before. I got weird looks, but who cares when they make your legs feel so good right?!

Thanks lady! I was thinking that too. It’s crazy what adding 30 degrees to the outside temp can do! And yes they can look at me all they want. I’m comfortable and they obviously just don’t get it.

9. Running Boston and Beyond says:

Hey lady, awesome week!! Are you sure you were sick?? My running went from good to better when I was training for my half iron last fall. Yup, lots of biking! It’s the best cross training and I should be doing it but have been slacking. Maybe because I’m going to be on that bike 5 days per week until November or something. I still can’t believe how freaking fast you go on the treadmill – I just can’t stand those things!!!! Awesome week times infinity!!!

I was WAY sick. The fact that I hit the snooze button proves it haha.
      I have gotten far too used to the treadmill after having spent so much time on it in recent months. I’m definitely going to stick with biking though! All improvements aside the classes are so much fun! I just need to get myself a real bike next.

um, seriously. Only you can get strep throat and still bang out 18+ miles like a boss. I got strep and I’m still complaining about the lost pep in my step. Ugh. What a great a week though!! and yay for froyo date – we need another soon!

11. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

Fastest mile run EVER! Ok not true haha but that’s still so, so impressive! I’d throw myself a parade if I ran a mile in the 6’s.

I’m working on building up my mileage as well too so I know just how amazing of a feeling it is to accomplish that – so congrats! Bask in the glory that is “being a boss” 🙂

I felt like having a parade after that run! But instead I went and sat on the couch for awhile since that’s really what I should have been doing in the first place. 🙂

12. the mile report says:

Yay!! What a great running week!!
    oooh strep throat. I can’t eat cinnamon candy canes because in 5th grade, I KNEW I had strep throat and the nurse wouldn’t let me go home. I was also eating a cinnamon candy cane that day. lol
    glad you had a weirdly fantastic run while sick! I sometimes run when I’m sick too. probably shouldn’t, but sometimes you feel too good not to!

It’s so funny how food can be ruined for you forever when you get sick. That’s why I hate spaghetti O’s. haha.
      It was just such a beautiful day that I didn’t want to waste it. And I’m glad I didn’t!

13. FLRunnerBoy says:

Another amazing week by you Salt and those paces … gurrrlllll you’ve got it going on fo’ sho’ lol 🙂 and I will run while sick if I can bare it. I might adjust the way I go about the run, but I will usually still try to get in the run. Now … if I look and feel like death well that’s another whole ballgame ha!

There are some runs in the past where should have skipped (chest congestion stuff), but this was a sore throat and otherwise I felt okay after taking my meds. Maybe I need a z pack for this marathon haha! Thanks Lee!

14. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

YAY SALT! I’m so happy for you for having an awesome week! It’s even better that you did so well while sick. It really shows that your hard work is paying off!
    My trainng wasn’t great last week…my leg pains came back when I was on the dreadmill but were fine when I was running outside. I’m doing yesterday’s long run today so we’ll see how that goes!

I think it looks like you had a good week! You’re getting back outside and at least you found the source of some of your pain! Definitely a positive thing. Plus you have awesome new shoes. 🙂 I hope your run today is great!

15. Jennifer LE (@runningwithpugs) says:

That’s hardcore! Strep had always been my nemesis (like ridiculous fever, throat swollen over, ER visit nemesis), so we I would get it, no, there would be zero working out. For a few weeks. However, I got my tonsils out two years ago and I haven’t had so much as a tickle in my throat. Hooray! I’ll run if I have a cold but generally give myself a break so I can recover.

Sounds like your training is going great! That’s awesome and I love that you are so enthusiastic about it.

I probably should have gotten my tonsils out as a kid, but I never did. It’s pretty rare that I get strep though and usually because Betty brings home germs from school. I get sick way more now that I have a kid haha!

I don’t think I could be more amped about last week. Especially with my first 20 miler looming it is nice getting that little boost of confidence!

16. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

I had a massage last week and am ready to book my next one soon – but right now it’s only for my dang hamstrings/glutes. Way to go on that super speedy run!
    Training is on the back burner again 😦 Off to physio to assess the *new* damage and go from there.

17. klregan says:

Wow! This was quite a week, even though you were so sick! Glad to hear you’re better. I don’t run if I feel myself coming down with something, but I usually start up again once I feel like I’m getting better.

Congrats on an awesome week!

Thank you! Running usually makes me feel better if I’m feeling a bit under the weather so I try to stick with it as much as I can. I was thankful for that rest day Friday though!

18. Jessica says:

You are such a trooper.! Just rolling out those awesome runs while having strep thought. Good job.!! and I actually was sick last week also. and while usually I just run threw them, This time I decided to take it easy, don’t know my exact milage, but it was less than 30, and I figured ehh why not. I could use the rest days 🙂

I really really really hope so. I can’t believe it’s so close now. I’m starting to get that mix of dread and excitement that I had last year (although a little less dread this year!)

19. fitfoodiemama says:

Ew for being sick…it sucks! I think I am coming down with croup of sorts thanks to my 3 year old and I have a half marathon this weekend. Your ability to run 13.1 miles with strep gives me hope!

You’re like me, I also am dumb and try to run when sick. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not so much. Ha! Nice job! Hope you get to feeling better! Keep up the good work, Salty Salt!

Thank you thank you!! Luckily this time around it seemed to have worked out and I feel all better. Hopefully that will be the last time I feel like garbage for awhile. 🙂

I was so thrilled to be out running this morning and none of the terrible ice that was there last week exists anymore! I hope it stays that way!
      Thank you. 🙂

21. alsoranagain says:

Ha! Your “sick week” is my best week ever. 🙂 I’m glad you’re feeling better.

I really know I should do/like spin for the benefits it gives come race-day, but I consider it torturous. The seats hurt and there are too many sweaty people way too close to me. Maybe I need padded shorts? Or maybe I can take a less crowded class?

Hahaha it was like my best week ever too! I have no idea how it happened.
      I am pretty used to the seat at this point, but I agree with you on sweaty people. In our class the other day we were all pretty well spaced which made it much more pleasant!

22. Kristin says:

Salt, what a sick week!! You’re amazing!! 🙂 Great job on your runs and on your paces!! Awesome mile!! Wow and you hit that mile after 3 great miles!! FAST!! 🙂 Have a wonderful week!! You rock! XOXO

23. Court says:

I can’t believe you had that great of a run while sick!! I’ve only had strep once (this past summer) and it knocked me on my butt. I also had mono at the same time, but there was still no way I would be running if I had strep. I’m a baby when it comes to sore throats!

I can’t either. I wonder if I’ll ever be able to do it again haha. Oh and mono? Absolutely no way. I have never had it but from what I hear it’s absolutely horrible! I can’t imaging having strep and that in tandem!

Wowzer my friend. I usually do run when I’m sick, but holy cow, a 6:47!? I haven’t hit that mile pace for one of my regular runs and I’ve been healthy all winter haha. You go girl!

I don’t go to a gym, so thankfully I haven’t had that problem, umm not so sure I want someone all up in my run when there’s plenty of treadmills to go around. But at least you got a comment out of the deal ;). I feel like that’s kind of the equivalent of when you go to the movies and there’s plenty of empty seats, but someone decides to sit right next to you though. Space please and thank you 🙂

Thanks lady. 🙂 It’s probably going to be the run I keep in the back of my mind as my training winds down and funny that it would be considering that I otherwise felt crappy.
      Yes that’s exactly what it’s like! I guess maybe other people don’t have the same space preferences that we do, but come on! At least he was nice!

25. ambertherunner says:

Hooray! Awesome week! & so glad you’re feeling so much better 🙂
    I think many of us runners are the same. We keep pushing and working out through sickness, because we cannot take a day off mid-training cycle. You totally should be living it up after that 5 miler on Tuesday. It obviously didn’t affect the rest of your week in a bad way 😀
    PS – you’re definitely not the only one who wears compression socks on the treadmill. Add GUs and salt caps and you look like a real geek. But embrace it. It’s worth the compliment when a guy tries to pace off you, right? I love judging (and messing with) other treadmill runners…

Hahaha I totally take GU on the treadmill too! I’m so glad I’m not the only one who does this. 🙂
      I think if I had been sick earlier on it would have been different, but you’re right…mid-cycle I just want to make sure I get all my miles in. Thank you, friend!

You killed it this week and being sick too?! Amazing. Rock N Roll DC SUCKED. That is all. 🙂

I almost signed up for that race too and now I’m kind of glad I didn’t. Running on the treadmill in the warm gym was definitely preferable to the freezing rain. I am not that hardcore. 🙂

27. Alanna says:

Like a boss! I love it! I’m glad you had a great week. Strep must be going around right now. I’m pretty sure all 3 of us have it in my house. I felt ok until being out in the rain for several hours at Rock’n’Roll DC. I still had a great race but once it was over I was frozen. I couldn’t text because I was shaking so bad from the cold. Now I know what it’s like to run that long in the rain. It was a good learning experience for me.

Oh no!!! I hope you guys are feeling better today. 😦 It is definitely going around. It made its way through B’s school and I’m pretty sure she brought it home from there.
      You and everyone else who made it through that half on Saturday are super heroes. There was no way I was running in that rain. Congrats on a great race despite it all!

28. Jason says:

Awesome time! I HATE it when people get on the treadmill next to me. I don’t even have a gym membership anymore and that is one of the reasons!

I usually run when I’m sick – unless I’m really sick – but I definitely take it easy. I’m glad you’re almost back to 100% 🙂

Killer week of training! I can’t believe you ran so well with Strep throat – the times I’ve had it I’ve been down and out for a few days. Great work1

I chuckled when I read the bit about the guy at the gym who kept stealing looks at your treadmill. Sounds like you showed him who’s boss! 😉

30. Change of Pace says:

Sounds like a terrific week of both running and cross training. Can’t believe you got wll that in with strep! Are you feeling better?
    I used to always compete with people on the treadmill beside me, especially if they were male. 🙂