A day in the life… {The Friday Five}

I figured I would take this opportunity to test out my new I-can-add-videos feature! I hope this works. As soon as I saw the topic for this week’s Friday Five, this song instantly became stuck in my head. It’s one of my favorite Beatles songs ever.

Anyway…

DC_linkup

Today Mar, Courtney and Cynthia want to hear a little about our days. Which day should I pick though? I have a pretty standard weekly routine, but each day has it’s own flavor. So for the sake of this post I’ve picked Thursday. Not to be confused with yesterday-Thursday because I’m sick and my schedule was all kinds of thrown off.

A Typical Salty THURSDAY

I attempted to edit this down to a “5 Things” format and failed pretty miserably. I’m sorry.

5:20 am: Alarm. My alarm only goes off once because the more I hit snooze the greater the chance that I will never actually get out of bed. I KNOW that it’s 5:20 am, but I don’t look at the clock because that way I can trick myself into thinking that it’s more like 7 and that makes everything easier.

Yesterday I snoozed three times, but I also had a temperature of 102 so I think I had a valid excuse.

5:40 am: I’m dressed in my running gear, my teeth are brushed and I’m standing outside trying to catch a signal with my Garmin. Right now I’m running 5 miles on Thursdays. Sometimes I’m still asleep for the first part of these runs.

This is SO TRUE for me.

This is SO TRUE for me.

6:25-ish am: I’m walking up the hill back to my house. Maybe I’m stopping to take a picture of my shoes/my watch/the street/my sweaty face because that’s what we as runners do.

6:30 am – 7:05 am: Most days I’m showered, make-upped and ready for work before Betty is even awake. Mr. Salt takes her to school because I have to be at my desk much earlier than he does and dropping her off at 7 am just doesn’t seem fair.

I always do wake her up before I go, which might be mean of me, but I need that smooch before I go to work. She is usually half asleep and probably doesn’t remember it.

My work is roughly a 30 minute drive from home. It used to be much shorter, but now I actually don’t mind the trip. It’s all back roads, pretty farms, and I get to laugh at this one morning show I like.  It’s a nice way to relax before I get to the office.

7:35 am: All the coffee. I stop at this little store every morning and get two coffees; a large one to drink at my desk and a little one to drink during the 3 minute drive from the store to my office because I have a serious caffeine addiction problem.

7:45 am: This is when I’m supposed to be at my desk. Sometimes I’m a little early depending on whether or not I get stuck behind someone who is going well below the speed limit. This happens frequently.

I am a graphic designer for my job…Monday through Friday, 7:45 am until 4:45 pm, which is kind of an odd time to get off, but I’m scheduled that way because my boss is awesome and he wanted me to have enough time to get back to my side of town to pick up Betty from school at a reasonable hour. My job is creative and fun and I really, really love it a lot.

4:45 pm – 5:20 pm: Time to pick up Betty from school! If I’m not giving her a hug by 5:20 I probably have road rage somewhere.

5:30 pm – 7:30 pm: We are home and I am immediately stressed. Never mind the fact that I have been in a deadline driven environment for the past 9 hours. Now I have to find something that my 3 year old will eat for dinner. Usually this involves broccoli because broccoli is the one thing she is always guaranteed to eat.

If it had to be anything I guess I’m glad it’s broccoli. (Dipped in ketchup because she’s a weirdo.)

After dinner we have fun. Play Play Doh, princesses, color, watch a Disney movie or an episode of Wallykazam or Peppa Pig or Bubble Guppies. This is my FAVORITE part of the day.

Anywhere between 7:30 and 8 pm: Depending on how the evening is going, this is bath time. If she’s in a fun mood I let her stay up a bit. Bath is usually a pretty good time. We play more princesses only this time they are going to a party at the beach and we use body wash that is shaped like a Minion and smells like strawberry-banana. We brush teeth with a princess toothbrush and princess toothpaste that smells like bubble gum. (Sometimes I use her toothpaste.)

After bath we read stories and this would be the ideal bedtime, but just like dinner, bedtime is one of the great struggles of the day that goes well maybe once or twice a week. SLEEP IS GREAT. WHY DO LITTLE KIDS NOT UNDERSTAND THIS!?

Let’s just say…9:00 pm to 11:00 pm because I stay up WAY too late for as early as I wake up: Hopefully Betty is asleep by 9 and this would be the time where I write a post for the next day and catch up on my blog reading. It’s also the day when this is most likely to be happening…

photo

…because Fridays are my rest days.  Sometimes I take an Epsom salt bath and read my new book (I READ NOW! I blame Karen.) Or when I stare unblinkingly at the wall because it has been just that kind of day or because my antibiotics are making me a little wacky.

Sort of like right now.

And then I’m up early the next day to do it all over again. A little later this time because Fridays I get to “sleep in”. 6:15. OH YEAH.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! I’m excited to hop around and see what everyone else’s routine is like!

Do you have a favorite Beatles song? Are you a morning or a later-in-the-day exerciser? If you’re a parent, did you go through a picky eating and terrible bedtime stage?

80 thoughts on “A day in the life… {The Friday Five}

1. klregan says:

I wish I were a morning exerciser… but I’m just not. I use the mornings to read, write blog posts, catch up on google news, and generally relax. I usually do my runs after work.

You have an insane day! Sometimes, I feel like as a grad student that I’m running around like crazy, but your day sounds intense!

I used to never exercise in the morning and it started out of necessity. When I worked at my old job I typically would exercise on my lunch breaks. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are a little different because in the evening I get an hour or so to myself (those are the days that Mr. Salt gets off earlier as long as it’s not the end of the month) so I feel a little more relaxed those days. Monday and Thursday are probably my craziest days!

2. kiwiyogirunner says:

I love that you get two coffees, that is also how I roll 😉 I don’t consider it an addiction unless it has a negative impact on one’s life, and on my life the only impact it has is positive 😉 I’m a late in the day runner but love waking up to yoga! So good 🙂

3. aliceruns says:

I like to exercise in the morning, and sometimes I manage to get up for a run, but I also have troubles falling asleep… I can feel dead tired by 10 PM, go to bed, and see each hour on the clock till 3AM. That doesn’t fare for an early morning wakeup ): And my yoga studio does not offer anything early enough so I could make it before work. Therefore, evenings it is.
    Fav. Beatles songs: Help!, Eleanor Rigbey and Octopus’s Garden.

That’s exactly how it goes for me! I could be exhausted and just lay there forever.
      AWESOME song choices!!! I think I need to make a Beatles playlist based on everyone’s suggestions!

• aliceruns says:

By the way, I am quite impressed how you manage to organise everything and find your time for everything… I go to bed late sometimes because there is no way 24 hours will facilitate all the things I want to do. And I don’t even have a guy or a kid, so it’s all me-time.

Bahahahaha 2 coffees I love it. I’m kinda the same way minus the caffeine. You are so disciplined and it is amazing and impressive. that is what I am saying. Do you have a double wine habit as well? like a starter and a real glass?
    I Want to Hold Your Hand will always be a favorite for sentimental reasons

I’m on to the big coffee now. Thanks to my antibiotics I can actually swallow my coffee today! YAY! Depending on how the week is going there might be a double wine in there somewhere. I use the glass Helly sent me and start off with a 5K before moving on to the 10 (or the half if it’s a Saturday).
      I love that song too. ❤

5. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Yikes, you have long days too! I recently started having to get up at 5:30 to commute into Boston for my internship and I am wiped out by 9:30. I love Betty’s princess obsession, sounds absolutely adorable 🙂 oh and I think I need that minion-shaped body wash. 🙂

I promise you will get more used to it. When I first started waking up that early I was completely wiped out, but it does get easier!
      Betty is definitely princess-obsessed. And we got the Body Wash from Babies R US haha. I think it’s totally appropriate for adults too!

I love that you get 2 coffees in the morning 🙂 sounds like busy days! I’m an evening work out person on the work days just because it’s so hard for me to get up earlier in the morning. I can do it on the weekends since I don’t have to also get ready for work and since there’s the hope of an afternoon nap!

Haha I am definitely powered by coffee!
      I used to work out on my lunch breaks, but I typically don’t take a break now so the morning it is! Totally out of necessity.

7. the mile report says:

Hahaha yay reading! 😉
    although now after going through your incredibly busy day (btw-i love day-in-the-life posts), I feel a little bad making you stay up later.
    It makes me happy that you buy two coffees. I make a fairly large pot in the morning, chug as much as I can before I leave the house, and put the rest in a thermos as my “afternoon coffee”

Don’t feel bad! I’m really enjoying this book!
      Mr. Salt recently got me a nice new coffee pot that I’ve been using a lot on the weekends. I love it! It makes my house smell so good! Also I found this Dunkin’ Donuts chocolate glazed donut coffee that is just ridiculous. I wish I had some right now!

• the mile report says:

what book are you reading?
        I love that dunkin’ donuts coffee! ryan sent me a box of k-cups (confession…I have a coffee pot and keurig and use both) during my last “i am going to drop out of school forever” breakdown, and most of them were cake or donut flavored 🙂

It’s called The Girl in 6E. My favorite genre is horror/suspense and I’ve definitely never read a book like this before. The main character is a total psychopath and honestly it’s much raunchier than I expected when I read the description prior to buying it (to the point where I cringe a lot…I didn’t know if I was going to be able to read it at first). But if you can get past how extreme it is, so far the plot is interesting. Not for the faint of heart though!

I’m actually surprised at how positive the Amazon reviews are!

We have a mutual adoration of broccoli. Lots and lots of it gets eaten in our house!
      Thank you so much. I’m better today for sure. The antibiotics are starting to kick in.

8. ambertherunner says:

OHMYGOSH you made my Friday morning with the Beatles song. I have Let It Be tattooed on my left wrist 🙂 but I have several songs I’d consider favorites- it all depends on my mood.
    I’m not a snoozer either. Mainly because I lay there fretting about everything I have to do during the day to actually get any more sleep during the snooze period. Once I’m awake, I am UP.
    (What morning show do you listen to? I still listen to a Baltimore rock station in the mornings when I get ready for work. Shocked my old radio can pick it up from Rockville..)
    I highly approve of finishing the evening with a glass of wine- one of my favorite ways to wind down 🙂

9. bluecoyotelifecoaching says:

I am planning to wake my (then) teenage daughter up very early on weekends as payback for the terrible twos bedtime bonanza. In fact, I tell her this most nights and she laughs like a lunatic. I may be planning to tape said convo as proof she consented to the early wake up call.

Hope you’re feeling better, soon.

10. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

Hahaha you do not get two cups of coffee! That’s so funny!! Hey at least you know what you need and you give it to yourself. But yeah, that might count as an addiction 😉 you’re one busy lady! Kicking butt one day at a time. Have a great weekend!

I do sometimes work out at night too (like strength training and such after Betty goes to bed). I like it, but she’s so unpredictable that I never know when I can get it in.

11. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

mornings all the way. except during the winter when anything goes. i’ve spent the past couple of months trying to run during the warmest part of the day. but now that it’s getting warmer (knock on wood), AM runs are the way to go. i’m totally with you about kids and bedtime. it just doesn’t make any sense. sleep is amazing!

I’ll knock on wood for that too. I’ve just about had it with freezing cold mornings. It looks like there might be a couple of them this week, but luckily no more snow! (I hope!)

12. Shawna says:

so we have videos blocked at work so i unfortunately can’t tell what Beatles song that is…but they’ve been one of my fave bands my whole life (my best friend actually gave me this massive collector’s item Beatles book for my coffee table as a Christmas gift) and i have most of their albums. hard to pick one song…i love “I’ve Just Seen a Face” and “Here Comes the Sun” (that’s a family special song and will be playing at my wedding if i ever have one). i workout both mornings or evenings, depending on when i can fit it in that day. today was a morning day, last night was an evening night. have a great wknd!!

It is “A Day in the Life”. 🙂 I LOVE “I’ve just seen a Face!!” It reminds me of when my husband and I were dating. I hope you have had a great weekend too!

13. Running 'N' Reading says:

Oh, my gosh; I really love it that your daughter dips her broccoli in ketchup. I may have to try this sometime because everything is good with ketchup. Right?!? My husband thinks everything is good with ranch dressing/dip…ugh. We are, obviously, the healthiest couple around. I’m extremely impressed that you brush your teeth before you walk out for your run; this does NOT happen at my house when I’m running alone and, sadly, there have been times when I’ll be running with others when it hasn’t happened. YIKES! I hope you have a fantastic weekend and thanks for sharing your day!

14. afastpacedlife says:

You are a *busy* mom!

I admire your ability to run early in the morning. Unless it’s a race, I can only do it once a month. I tried this past week, but I had already used up my quota for the month. Run fail.

I love running in the morning so much more in the summer because it’s that pleasant time before the day heat hits. In the winter it’s just dark and freezing. As you can probably tell, I’m over that.

Yeah I don’t blame you. I can’t imagine doing that if I was still in school! As it stands it’s totally out of necessity. I was also a picky eater as a kid. So far this weekend she has been doing better so maybe this phase is phasing out? Fingers crossed!

15. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

Another busy mama but you manage it all so well!! I am an early morning person (and exerciser) and I love it! I feel so accomplished having my workouts done before I get into the office and then nothing gets in my way of getting my endorphin high!!

Ashton is in this weird phase where he won’t try anything or eat things he normally likes. I am kind of over it…its so frustrating so most nights, he drinks a cup of milk and calls it a day.

Have a great weekend lady!

I know you understand all this!! Busy moms unite! 😀 I agree that it’s so nice to get it all out of the way before the day begins. It really sets the tone for the rest of the day. I hope you have had a marvelous weekend, my friend!

16. deborahbrooks14 says:

Broccoli and ketchup huh? I hope you are feeling better. I am not an early morning exerciser. I need coffee first!

Charlotte really isn’t picky, but she’ll say things like “I ate that when I was a baby but not anymore” Really Charlotte? She just decides not to like something one day. We are currently living in a bedtime refusal zone. Sticker charts won’t work, tears won’t work, taking things away makes it worse…I’m at a loss. Some days are easier than others, but we haven’t figured out the formula.

Bahahaha Betty definitely does that too. Like she will eat something and I’m like AWESOME and I buy a ton of it and then suddenly it’s the worst thing ever. I just don’t get it.
      None of those things have worked for us either as far as bedtime is concerned. I hope this is a phase that passes soon.

I’m only a morning exerciser when conditions are ideal–not too hot, not too cold, no precipitation, daylight. And even then, it’s a struggle to get out of bed. More often than not I will runch or run after work.

I used to runch exclusively during the week and really enjoyed it. Now I never get a break so early mornings it is! Now that I’m used to it, it’s not so bad. I just hate it when it’s freezing.

19. lacey@fairytalesandfitness says:

Your job sounds fun! It’s nice to have a cool boss. Heck I don’t even think my boss knows my name. How crazy is that. You are quite dedicated w getting your runs in. If I had to get up every morning at that time for a run, they would never happen. I love a hot Epsom salt bath and glass of wine. So relaxing!

I just read your post and your job sounds so awesome! I’ve never met a flight attendant before. Well I HAVE, but I never got any kind of insight into their job like you posted! So interesting. 🙂
      I think epsom salt has to happen again tonight! Perfect way to wind down a weekend!

Some days I have to be a work by 7 or a little before, so I have to wake up at 4:00 and my body doesn’t even know what it is doing the first couple of miles either. The idea of running more after running with the kiddos at the end of the day is just exhausting to me and I don’t want to find out what it’s like haha. Thankfully that’s not the case all the time though. My coffee consumption is just out of control lately.

I was guilty of using the bubblegum toothpaste when I baby sat my nieces and nephew…same with Loreal kids shampoo…but I don’t agree with the no tears on that one. I definitely got some apple shampoo in my eyes one time and there were most definitely tears.

I don’t know how you go to bed at 11 sometimes! I do totally get the relaxing part though. Sometimes I just have to stay up later even though I know my butt should be in bed because I need that time to just relax.

I don’t know a whole lot about the picky eating stage, but I do know that my youngest niece ate ketchup and carrots for the longest time. At least the vegetable is in there somewhere…:) You guys that take care of little people are amazing ❤

Sleep running is a funny thing hahaha.
      OMG the Loreal kids shampoo smells so good. We had the grape one for awhile and I definitely used it.

Betty has actually been eating this weekend! So I’m going to hold out hope that this will be a phase we stick with for awhile! It’s just stressful when they won’t eat anything. I’m assuming she won’t starve herself, but I just wish she wouldn’t be so picky!

21. Movin' it with Michelle says:

I’ve always been a night exerciser minus the weekend. I wish I was a morning person, but figure at the age of 42 is just isn’t going to happen. My kids have always eaten what I’ve prepared. My favorite saying has been “This isn’t a restaraunt” and if they are hungry enough, they’ll eat. Now they are foodies like my hubby and me! hehe

I never ever thought I’d be a morning person, but now I just kind of have to be. If I didn’t exercise in the AM I’m sure I wouldn’t be nearly so cheery. 🙂

22. Ashley @ A Lady Goes West says:

Hi there! Happy Friday! Good work getting that run in before work each day. I used to work in the corporate world (PR and writing), and I would always get my workouts in before the sun rose then. But now, I work in fitness and have time during the day or evening to get in the sweat sessions, so my schedule has changed. I don’t have children yet, but I’d imagine sometimes caring for a little one can be harder than your day job, right? An epsom bath? Now there is something my sore muscles need! Have a lovely weekend!! 🙂

Thank you!! Ahhh I would love to work in fitness and be able to dedicate different times of the day to it. Such an awesome job! I hope you have had a lovely weekend too! Epsom salt bath is definitely in my plans for tonight!

23. Ange @ Cowgirl Runs (@cowgirlruns) says:

I nearly cried seeing 5:20 as your wakeup time. Ouch. And going to bed at 11?! I’m in for a rude awakening when kids make an appearance in my life. Right now I’m in bed before 10 and awake around 7 during the week.

I love that you buy two coffees, one especially for the rest of your drive 🙂

It’s really not so bad. I try to get more sleep and it just kind of never happens. I’m never tired during the day either so I guess it works out okay. 🙂
      It’s really the shortest drive from that store to work and completely pointless that I should need a separate coffee for it.

24. Jess @hellotofit says:

Loved reading about your day 🙂 I’m for SURE a morning workout person. 7 or 8 is a great time, and anything after 11am just doesn’t happen! Hope you have a fantastic weekend 🙂

25. Kristin says:

You are beautiful!! Love that last picture!! Pretty!! I am definitely a morning worker outer!! Definitely!! You rock!! I love your dedication to exercise!! You are truly amazing!! Have a perfect weekend! XOXO

You are so sweet. That picture is no makeup, bad hair, and sick as a dog with strep throat haha. ❤ Thank you so much though! I hope you had a beautiful weekend, Kristin!

I always think about making coffee in the morning but then it just doesn’t happen. I should try it though. I would save a ton of money on all those extra coffees I buy at that store on the way to work!

26. Alanna says:

My daughter is 18 months and she’s quite a picky eater right now. We tend to give her a heaping plate of options and hope for the best. It’s a gamble though. One day she refuses to eat something that she loved the previous day. Good times! I’m totally with you on the coffee!

That is EXACTLY an issue we have here. Like I will get her to eat something and she will seem to really enjoy it so I’ll get all excited and buy a lot of it. And then she will never eat it again. These kids!! I hope this is a stage that passes for both of us quickly!

27. Change of Pace says:

Love reading about people’s days! That’s awesoe your boss lets you work a shift that you can pick B up! And I love that your favourite time of day is playtime with her!
    Lol- funny about the coffee.
    I know I have a newborn and should’ve been prepared for a lack of sleep, but last night was a doozy. And I undortunaly don’t like coffee or tea! I wish somebody would tell Jasper sleep, especially at night, is good!

Yeah he is a super kind guy and really family oriented. It’s a nice place to work. 🙂
      The no sleep phase is something that I definitely do not miss, but I promise you that it gets easier! That first night that he sleeps through the night you will barely know what to do with yourself. ❤ He's so precious!!

28. FLRunnerBoy says:

Whew! I’m pooped just reading this Salt ha! And I’ve done the picky eater, bedtime wars x4 ha! This too shall pass and you’ll survive. I’m a early morning workout person with an occasional night workout 🙂

I cannot even imagine x4!! You have the patience of a saint!! 😀 Even though she stresses me out she still couldn’t be any more wonderful and cute. I just keep reminding myself of that!

29. theAccidentalCelt says:

while my guitar gently weeps is my favorite beatles song
    Your wee one remembers those morning kisses. I do the same morning kiss to my daughter and thought she didn’t remember them until she listed them as one of her favorite things on a kindergarten project a few years back. She will ALWAYS get morning kisses. 😉

Haha, I love that you get two coffees on the way to work – one of the commute and one for your desk. That sounds like something I would do 🙂

I wish i could be more of a morning runner – maybe this summer I can get motivated to get out of bed in time to get some miles in. Sunlight helps a lot!