Surf’s up and spin class in furry boots at Beachfit Baltimore!

Last night was my very first class at Beachfit Baltimore and before it even began things were looking pretty bleak. Traffic was a mess, it rook forever for me to get downtown, it was pouring rain and parking was next to impossible. I arrived late and when I opened my trunk to get out my shoes, THIS was all I had.

ugh

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH.

The class was called Floyo Combo. The Floyo was yoga-related and I wouldn’t need shoes. However the “combo” would occur on a spin bike. Wearing furry boots.

Luckily the people working there were super nice about my tardiness and while it was clear that they felt sorry for me, they didn’t even laugh at my footwear. The studio is pretty small and made up of a reception area, a room that contained a number of surfboards like this one…

board

…and then another small room where the bike portion of the class was happening. What it lacked in size though it completely made up for in charm. Beachfit Baltimore has a laid back, beach house-y feel to it and our instructor, Jessie, had a rocking St. Paddy’s themed playlist as she guided us through 25 challenging minutes of spin. I expected to be miserable because UGH BOOTS, but I felt so great the whole time despite being sore from my run earlier in the day. The only ways they really hindered my workout is that I had to spend the whole time in the saddle and the obvious issue of my feet sweating as I’m sure you can imagine. Actually I probably got an even better workout that way especially after we really cranked up the resistance!

Soon it was time to ditch my boots – thank goodness – and head into the larger room where we would do some stretching, strengthening and yoga on the surfboards. They use this larger room for other things as well such as boot camps, kickboxing-style classes, kettlebells, PiYo, a variety of yoga styles, barre, HIIT, Insanity, and core workouts just to name a few. Their list of classes is a mile long and I want to try them all.

I didn’t realize it at first, but the board was set atop several large inflatable balls which was exactly as unsteady as it sounds. We started out easily enough in child’s pose, but I noticed right away that something as basic as a downward dog was going to take a LOT of getting used to! We moved through sun A, warrior series, side angle, a couple three legged dogs, locust, bow, pigeon, bridge and a few other asanas before settling into a bound angle savasana that, while tippy, still managed to be relaxing.

Something interesting that I learned through all this: One side of my body is way off balance by comparison to the other AND it’s the opposite side from what I would have expected! Like the side where I normally feel more confident  while on a yoga mat was all kinds of off-kilter on the board. I want to go back again just so I can work on that!

The instructor was so awesome that she even offered to take some photos of me on the board for the blog. I look way more balanced and comfortable up there than I was feeling!

allsmiles

ALL SMILES! I had been in a serious Debbie Downer mood when I arrived at Beachfit Baltimore and by the time class was over my headache and stress were washed away.  I felt so happy the entire time…even when I felt like I was going to fall over. I believe it’s impossible to do surfboard yoga without a smile on your face!

If you have the opportunity to try a class like this TAKE IT! You’ll love it. And if you are in the Baltimore area and ever want to go, let me know and I’ll join you!

Have you ever done yoga on a surfboard? Have you ever surfed in general? (I haven’t! This was literally my first time on a board ever!)

I hope everyone has the happiest Wednesday imaginable!

76 thoughts on “Surf’s up and spin class in furry boots at Beachfit Baltimore!

1. klregan says:

This is great! Paddle board yoga is so much fun, but really frustrating. I spent like 70% of the time in the water, and it was hard. I want to try it again, I feel like there is a learning curve with it and I’d like to get a little better. Also, your boots are pretty much the best. 🙂

I would be completely soaked if I tried this on water right now so I’m glad I get to test it out on dry land first. 🙂 And thanks! I love them although they are not so good for cycling.

2. Court says:

I have always wanted to try a class like this! My balance is terrible so I’m sure I would be spending most of it on the ground. I’ve also never tried surfing which is insane since I live at the beach!!

I lived at the beach for a couple years and barely got in the water so I totally understand. 🙂 It was a crazy challenge for the balance! I thought I had pretty good balance until I got on that board!

3. Shawna says:

i took a class at City Surf in Dallas when i was visiting my cousin last September, which was based on these boards, and i LOVED it. it was a boot camp/interval class rather than yoga, though, and super intense and fast-paced and so tough and all sorts of amazing. i doggedly maintain that i was supposed to have been born in California or Hawaii, as my soul really believes it’s a beach bum/surfer at heart. great posing!

I can’t even imagine doing any kind of boot camp activities on that surfboard. Holy challenging! That sounds like a lot of fun though and I think there are other Beachfit classes that are a little more like that. I guess I will have to go back and try them now!

Wow, that looks really cool! There’s a new surfboard bootcamp style class near me, and I haven’t gotten up the nerve/cash to take it. Now I’m very intrigued. Glad class was able to cheer you up 🙂

I had no idea of all the awesomeness until after the class! It was a random ClassPass sign up. 🙂 I’m so glad I found it! Check out their schedule and let me know if you ever want to come up and I’ll meet you. 🙂

Totally need to do this. I’m always surprised by differences in balance when you add changes to the surface. I’ve had to develop arch strength, which took time, so I wonder what would happen on the board!

Absolutely yes. I really liked the combination of biking and stretching and they have so many classes to try! I’m definitely revisiting this one next week and want to try some others too!

6. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

This is so freaking awesome and you look amazing on the board. They have a surf yoga class in the water in Boston/Cambridge, it looks really fun, but let’s be honest, I’d spend more time in the water than on the board! I like to see the people out there though, it’s truly incredible!

Thanks! When I looked at the pic I was surprised that I looked good at all. It was taking all my power to not fall over! I would definitely be a huge fail if it were in the water. I wish they had something like that around for me to try though! (Although I would NOT be doing it in the harbor unless I wanted to get shots afterward. That water is so gross!) Come down and go to a class with me! 😀

7. Jennifer says:

That class looks and sounds AMAZING!!
    Plus, I love the idea of a beach vibes workout. I give you big props for the furry boots. I might have used traffic + foot wear as a reason to ditch.

8. afastpacedlife says:

My type of being on a surfboard – no water!

I’m having fun reading about all these classes. I can’t be bothered to try them out myself, so I’m glad that you’re doing it for me. 😀

9. Elizabeth says:

This looks like so much fun!! I do think watching me try to keep my balance on that board would be extremely entertaining, haha.

Your boots CRACK me up! I once had to do a Body Pump Class in flip flops so I feel your pain.

Well the good thing is that we were all tipping all over the place so there was no embarrassment involved. 🙂 I can’t even imagine Body Pump in flops! I’d probably drop a weight on my toe!

10. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

i’ve always wanted to try a class like that! No one ever has a bad thing to say about it when they go — and I always see pics and people have the biggest smiles on their faces (much like yours! haha). Now that the weather is heating up I need to get on it, because of course I was in no mood to “surf” throughout this winter haha

I always have fun at yoga, but I haven’t had a smiley class like that since I started taking aerial! It was a blast! I think this winter effectively killed any want I had for swimming or any kind of surfing. I need to move to Florida.

This sounds so interesting. I’ve never heard of surfboard yoga before. I imagine that the balance was super challenging and I’d be worried about falling off! That’s awesome that the workout managed to put you in such a better mood 🙂

12. hellyontherun says:

A couple of my MRTT moms do SUP and I really want to try it! You know I don’t like water but it’d be fun to get out of my comfort zone for a while–which I love that you love doing!

I would love to try it in actual water, but I have no idea where that would happen around here. The harbor is way too gross haha! I need to come visit so I can try it out there!

13. Jessica says:

I saw that a local place offered yoga on a surf board.. I thought it was kind of weird at first. But sounds like you really enjoyed it.!! 🙂 and you look so awesome in that pic.!

I can’t believe you had to take the class in purple furry boots! That is awesome! I was actually signed up for a class there the last week of classpass but the night before my PT recommended I stop yoga for a bit while we work on getting my back aligned, so I had to cancel. But UGGHH- Baltimore traffic and parking and rain!!

I feel like it was all especially terrible yesterday. I only live about 5-10 minutes above the city line and it took me an hour and a half to get down there and I was still freaking late!
      I’m not sure how much their classes cost otherwise, but you should try it once you can do yoga again!

Yeah I definitely will be remembering my running shoes next time. That was a major fail. I would love to try something like this in the water, but I’m not sure where to find it around here! Our water is all gross. 🙂

15. alsoranagain says:

Wow–what a creative way to exercise! I think my PT would totally dig this because of the stability aspect; it’s like doing an entire workout on a Bosu ball. We don’t have any classes like that in Tacoma, but I bet they’ll catch on and spread to my little burg.

16. Change of Pace says:

Love that you wore boots!!
    I’ve wanted to take any kind of class on a board for ages! I can imagine it’s s killer workout!
    When we were in California last yeR I really wanted to take a sup yoga class but didn’t end up doing it. One day! I love to SUP and can surf baby waves but nothing more!!

Okay that is a crazy awesome class idea! I am so jealous of all these cool classes that aren’t in Anchorage. Also, I love that you did it in boots. I forgot socks on a run one time and just went for it…it wasn’t too bad but I still was uncomfortable. The things we do for a workout!

18. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Ughhh we all have at least one of those stories! One time I had to teach an hour long Zumba class in UGG boots! I’m glad it was still a postive experience for you! I would love to try something like that! PS I’m coming to visit Baltimore soon!

19. Jennifer says:

Haha you crack me up! I’ve gone to the gym a few times forgetting to pack a shirt (and since I was too lazy to go back home, I purchased a gym shirt ugh). The surf class look so fun.

Haha I’ve purchased socks before at the gym for the same reason. 🙂 I HATE when I forget things though! There was just so way I ever could have made it home and back so Uggs it was!

20. FLRunnerBoy says:

I never been anywhere near a surfboard Salt ha! I have heard about beachfit on Shark Tank of all places lol and it looks like a killer workout

21. the mile report says:

Haha omg I love that you wore those boots during spin. If I were in the class, I would have thought you were such a baller for doing that.
    surfboard yoga on top of inflatable balls sounds very hard. not sure I could have handled child’s pose, but you look great!

Hahaha thanks! I felt like such a fool!
      The first child’s pose was really tough! We did a few though and by the end I felt like I at least had that one down. 🙂

How fun! This class sounds so interesting.
    Your Ugg experience reminds me of the time I once forgot to bring my running shoes to the gym. But I needed a workout badly. So I biked in my flats from work. Haha! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do right?!