It’s Tu-Tu-Tuesday

Yesterday  I was looking around on Facebook and saw there was a group for The Color Run: Baltimore (MAY 23!! COME RUN WITH ME!!). I signed up for it because Betty and I are Ambassadors and very excited about it although not so excited about “all the yellow” that could potentially get on us. This is still a hot topic of convo in my house since the “all the yellow” debacle last November.

Within that group someone had mentioned that they wanted a tutu for the race and it got me thinking.

Tutus are very Color Runnish. Personally, I am not a tutu wearer or an any-kind-of-costume-when-I’m-running wearer unless you count my zoo pants and zoo face from Zoo Zoom. I tried to wear a kilt for a St. Patrick’s Day 5K last year and that ended poorly. I don’t fault anyone for wanting to wear tutus. They are fun and make me smile; the people wearing them always seem to be very cheerful and that’s a good thing. And frankly I’m fascinated that anyone can run in one in the first place. Good for you. I’d be ripping that thing off and throwing it into traffic within the first mile a la St. Paddy’s Day kilt.

Anyway I wanted to help this girl in The Color Run group, but I also didn’t want to step on any tutu toes because people were immediately jumping all over her trying to sell her stuff. I felt kind of bad for her. Making a tutu is stupid easy…hence why you can go on Etsy and find literally thousands of people that make them. I am not the craftiest person around and even I can make a tutu. I made several for Betty when she was wee. Here’s the outfit I did for her first birthday:

photo (3)

Cute right? The theme was rainbows and unicorns and the guest list was about 90 people long. For a first birthday. Why I did this I have no idea. It’s not like she will ever remember that party at all.

Anyway, I imagine that making a tutu for an adult would be much the same as making one for a small person – just with longer elastic and tulle – so today I’m going to post how to make one just in case anyone has a race coming up that requires a tutu or a child that likes to play dress up. If you know how to tie a knot, you will be able to handle this.

I haven’t made one of these in awhile and I’m almost afraid for Betty to know that I possess this skill or else I will have to quit my job and manufacture them for her all day every day. Girl loves her some tutus.

What you need:

• A needle & thread . Don’t freak out. It’s not a lot of sewing.
  • Measuring tape.
  • Scissors.
  • Non-roll elastic. You can get this at Joann Fabrics. For Betty’s tutus I used 1″, but for an adult I would go wider. 2″ maybe? You use your discretion…you know your waist better than I do.
  • 6″ tulle in whatever colors that you want. I get mine on Amazon. It’s pretty cheap. The 6″ refers to the exact width you will need so when you are cutting the tulle you only have to worry about length.
  • Something good to watch on TV while you make this tedious thing.

First…measure your waist. You can either use the tape or just wrap the elastic around. Make sure you leave about an inch of overlap because you will be stitching the ends together .This will be your tutu waistband. I like to use a box stitch because I feel like it holds really well.

box stitch

Once you’re done with this you can put the needle and thread away. No more sewing!

Next you want to cut your tulle to the desired length. This is going to be based on your personal preference as well. Just know that when you tie the pieces on you will be folding them in half. So like…if you want a skirt that is a foot long, you will want a 24″ piece of tulle. I usually use the measuring tape to cut one piece and then use that one as a guide to do the others. It takes about 6 pieces of tulle to cover an inch of your elastic band depending on how fluffy you want your skirt to be.

While I work I like to pull the elastic waistband up over my legs so it’s easy to tie the tulle on. You simply slide a piece up through the elastic to the halfway point, tie it in a knot and sit the knot just below the band. Repeat with the next piece. And the next piece.

Get a cool color combo going. Get crazy. Be amazed at how unbelievably easy this is. Seriously all it is is a series of knots. When you get to the end…you’re done!

giphy

I hope anyone found this helpful (or at the very least I hope someone found it entertaining!)

In other non-tutu related news, Betty and I got to have a belated-for-us and actual-birthday-for-Mar fro yo birthday celebration last night! I LOVE THAT GAL!

photo 2

Mar is so freaking cute. And thank you, Nuun, for providing me with a hat to cover my bad hair days. #nuunlove

photo 1

Who needs a selfie stick when you have arms as freakishly long as mine?

As I mentioned at the start of this post, Betty and I are Ambassadors at The Color Run in May! If you are in the Baltimore area and want to join us, use coupon code BALTIMORE2 at checkout for a discount. There is going to be lots of glitter and this time there are finisher medals (if you’re into that sort of thing!) so this one is not to be missed!

Oh and if you make a tutu, I want to see it!

Have you ever dressed up for a race? Made a tutu? Are you coming to do The Color Run with us!?

Happy Tuesday, all!

28 thoughts on “It’s Tu-Tu-Tuesday

1. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

I’ve only worn a costume for one race – I was a girl pilgrim on Thanksgiving morning (it was part or our family’s new tradition). It was ridiculous and fun! I thought the long apron would slow me down, but I didn’t even notice it. Like you, I think tutus and sparkly skirts are cute, but just not for me.

I have made a tutu, super easy. LOVE the tutu you made for Betty’s first birthday! Adorable!!

3. Corinne says:

I wore a tutu for the Color Run last year. That’s the only time I’ve worn one when running an it annoyed the crap out of me! I don’t judge people who run in tutus though. Do what makes you happy!

Also, instead of elastic, my friend and I each used a piece of ribbon to tie the tutu around our waists. You can also fold the tulle in half, stick the now-looped end up the side of the elastic/ribbon, then stick the ends through the loop and voila! You have a tutu! It amazes me how much money people spend on those things when they’re stupid easy to make!

4. Kristin says:

Oh my gosh!!! The tutu you made for Betty!! Oh boy…imagining the combo of Betty wearing that fabulous tutu…ADORABLE X A BILLION!!! I love it!! I wanna wear a cool tutu for my birthday now!! Hehe! You are an amazing mommy and runner and everything else! You’re just FABULOUS!! Have a wonderful day!! XOXO

5. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

I STILL love that tutu you made for Betty–its gorgeous. Like you, I don’t dress up for races, I just can’t pull that kind of thing off, but I have lots of friends who only sign up for races they can dress up for! HA! To each their own! I hope you have having an awesome week lady!!

I am so impressed with your tutu-making skills! I don’t think I would have the patience. I feel like you can find just about anything on amazon these days, so that would be where I would turn. But I also don’t think I could ever run in a tutu!

7. afastpacedlife says:

Nice tutorial. I’ve never worn a costume for a race because while I don’t have a problem with wearing one, I’m too lazy to think up and make one. When I was in grad school, my best friend came up with our costume ideas and I was more than happy to go along with whatever she had in mind.

I am the same as you – I love seeing people dressed in tutus at races because they seem to be having the most fun, but don’t really like the idea of wearing one myself! However, for a costume or maybe a walk event I would wear one, especially now that I know how easy it is to make one. The one you made for Betty is adorable!!

9. Shawna says:

awww that tutu is so adorable! never worn a tutu for a race but i don’t think i’m above that, esp if it’s in bright colors. i don’t think i’ve dressed up for a race, actually, but i maybe would, if it was comfy!

Ooh girl, you’ve got skills! And you say you’re not crafty…that outfit is adorable. I don’t know if I’d have the patience for this. I did dress up for a race once though – I bought a black cape and a gold sparkle skirt and I was Storm from X-men (the race was superhero-themed).

11. klregan says:

I am like the least crafty person ever. This looks pretty impressive to me! I’ve never dressed up for a race, since with my lack of art skills, I’d probably just look like a mess.

I wish I could go do the color run with you! The mid-west is a little too far to make the trip. 🙂

I’ve never made a tutu, but my sister makes them all the time for my tutu obsessed niece. She loves to wear them wherever, including school. I think my sister is a little bit relieved she goes to a school that requires uniforms now :). I love the tutu you made for Betty’s first birthday, that is so cute! For the most part, I don’t have a creative brain so I’m always in awe of people who can do anything remotely crafty.

13. Natasha says:

Super cute tutu. I haven’t really dressed up for a race beyond wearing a T-shirt that said “Running for Grandpa” when he was sick. I’ve always wanted to run a color race, but I haven’t found one in my area! Take lots of photos to share and have fun!

14. kiwiyogirunner says:

Wow you are so crafty! That tutu is gorgeous!! I did ballet for ten years so wore a fair few tutus, but I’ll always remember my first one- I was the star in the nativity scene that leads the shepherds to baby Jesus and my tutu was yellow and sparkly! I was five years old! My glory days 😉

Tututuesday – I see what you did there. Thanks for the tips. I would totally wear a tutu in a race. As you know, I did wear costumes for the first three races of the Dopey Challenge last year. Had to to remind myself to take it easy on those first races and save it all for the full on the last day!

16. FLRunnerBoy says:

No I’ve never dressed up for a run though I’ve threatened to race in a kilt someday for laughs ha! Your rocking the Nunn trucker hat Salt lol! And speaking of moves the misses and I have started kicking around the idea of a possible move to Maryland though it would probably be a ways off still.