NJ Marathon Training Week 11 Recap

A really brief recap because this weekend has completely drained the life out of me. It’s 7:45 pm and I’m already ready for bed. Wait…scratch that. Technically it’s 6:45 and I’m ready for bed. Is this how you’re going to be, late 30’s??

Week 11 Grade: I get an A for Effort, but the weather was mostly a big fail.

This was the week of all kinds of changes to my plan to fit my schedule which in the end worked out really well.

Monday, March 2: I saw this weather coming from a mile away and yet I still signed up for a barre class. The barre studio’s inclement weather policy is worse than that of my gym.

Anyway we had an ice storm last Sunday and that carried on over into Monday. Everything was shut down or open late so a rest day was forced. Technically Mondays are supposed to be for resting anyway so it was no big deal. I did end up doing a little bit of strength training at home that evening.

Tuesday, March 3: 5 miles and OMG I RAN OUTDOORS FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MORE THAN TWO WEEKS!!!! It was definitely different difficulty-wise but it felt good to breathe that outside air. And it was also definitely still cold, but much more manageable than the negative degrees we had been experiencing. After work I had scheduled that surfboard class at Beachfit Baltimore, but then wouldn’t you know it…another ice storm rolled through in the afternoon making travel especially treacherous. It took me well over an hour to get home from work. So I missed that class too. At 0 for 2 I guess I should have waited another week to sign up for ClassPass again.

Wednesday, March 4: 8 miles and the forecast was looking positively balmy and in the mid-30’s for the early morning. I was all about getting my second run in outside for the week.

I made it about a half mile before realizing what a bad idea this was.

Just a lil bit of ice...

Just a lil bit of ice…

The streets and sidewalks in my neighborhood were sheets of ice. At certain points I was getting zero traction including on a downhill where I almost completely wiped out. I have no idea how I stayed on my feet the whole time. The run was slow, but still pretty fun and the air was comparatively nice and warm. That night I warmed up even more at hot vinyasa (FINALLY got to a class!) and then headed home to prepare for the next winter storm. If you are keeping count this would be the third one for the week.

Thursday, March 5 (Betty’s birthday!): I was supposed to run 5 miles and already decided the night before that due to the incoming weather and ice from the day before that I was going to switch my run to Friday and take my rest day (even though I had already had one earlier in the week). I went in to work for about 2 hours and when the snow started to pick up I left and spent the rest of the day hanging at home watching movies and having fun with Betty and Mr. Salt. Snow angels count as cross training right?

photo

At one point in the afternoon she did take a little nap so I used the opportunity to do some abs and arms videos on YouTube.

Friday, March 6: 5 miles and of course due to the 10 inches of snow that fell the day before, my gym didn’t open on time because do they ever? So I missed my run in the morning, but planned on going over to another branch of my gym that is conveniently located near my office on my lunch break. It has been a very long time since I runched! I was pretty excited for it.

Except this run was ABSOLUTELY FREAKING TERRIBLE. The treadmills were rickety and ancient. Like it must be the gym that all the nicer, bigger gyms send their fitness equipment to when it’s about to fall apart. I struggled so hard to run those 5 miles and felt like a complete mess when I was done. And then I had to go back to the office all sweaty and gross and defeated.

Saturday, March 7: This was supposed to be my long run, 18 miles. Due to the lingering deep freeze, ice, snow and single digit temps, I had a couple options: split my run again (not preferable since I just did that last week) or move my long run to Sunday. Saturday afternoon was supposed to be much warmer and I hoped that meant a big melt.

Instead of running I went to a 45 minute spin class and then did 45 minutes of yoga all before Mr. Salt had to be to work. It was a nice change from running so early in the morning and I felt great for the rest of the day.

Sunday, March 8 (my birthday!): 18 miles and no excuses even though I lost an hour of sleep. Another nice thing about doing this run on Sunday was that Mr. Salt was off work and I had no time constraints beyond a family party at 2pm. I had plenty of time. So I headed out a little after 9am in beautiful, sunny weather so warm that I had to ditch my jacket in a tree several miles in.

This run was pretty darn great. I was traveling with a new Nathan handheld bottle that I picked up for myself as a birthday present. At first I was a little annoyed by it because it was quite heavy when it was full, but it ended up being entirely necessary. I was using this run as an opportunity to test out a fuel plan (carrying Bloks which I don’t normally use and GU). Everything I did worked well.

10995455_965428746802862_7245145071560230103_n

And just like that, my longest run since last May! At then end I was tired, but not nearly as sore as I expected to be. In the afternoon we celebrated and in the evening I had a date with Dr. Teal and a good book. It was the perfect birthday.

I love that I get to celebrate it with my girl!

I love that I get to share my birthdays with my girl!

Week 11 Mileage: 36

So I just mentioned that I didn’t feel as sore as I expected after that run; that seems to be a trend. I’ve been dealing with a hamstring issue, but overall I recall feeling very much like I had been hit by a car after all my long runs last year and I’m not experiencing that same sensation this time. General soreness sure, but I had no issues getting to MEGAbarre class this morning.

This week I’m back on track with healthier eating because as you might have seen from my Instagram feed there was a lot of cake and ice cream (and wine) over the weekend. But first…fro yo date with Mar tonight to celebrate all the birthdays! (Today is Mar’s birthday! Make sure you stop by and wish her a happy happy one!)

If you’re training for a race right now, how is it going? What’s your favorite kind of cake? Remember when I said this was going to be a brief recap?

Happy Monday everyone!

68 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 11 Recap

1. kiwiyogirunner says:

Yay for the 18 mile birthday run! And happy birthday! Favourite cake: ice cream cake!! Is that cheating? I’m not the biggest cake person but I’m crazy about ice cream 🙂 I’m not training for anything right ne which is lucky cos I just sprained my ankle :s

Thank you so much! Ice cream cake totally counts. 🙂 My favorite is angel food which some people might not count either. 😉 I hope your ankle is feeling better and better this week. ❤

2. klregan says:

Wow, your week sounds nuts. I don’t know how you do everything that you do. I’m sorry that the weather is still no good by you. Out in Indiana, it got weirdly beautiful. Saturday and Sunday were perfect, and it’s supposed to get up to 60 this week! I hope some of that comes your way so you can get back outside without any ice.

I think it might be warmer there than it is here! I am ready to wear shorts at 40 degrees haha!
      So far the ice situation is looking much better and I’m looking forward to more outside running this week. Even if it is 30’s in the morning it feels so much warmer. (Remember when that was cold??)

I just saw your blog…it sounds like you had a very similar experience to my Wednesday run! Hopefully this will be it for all of us. Spring is right around the corner! And I definitely enjoyed some chocolate over the weekend. 🙂

Happy birthday to both of you girls. Love that cake picture. Absolutely adorable. And holy ice! That is just scary. I am sure you are just plain ready for winter to head home.

SO ready. Luckily things have melted a lot around here and we are looking at 50’s for most of the week I think! I cannot wait to run in shorts! Thank you, my friend!

4. FLRunnerBoy says:

My favorite cake … ummm … that would be red velvet ha! And I’ll have you know missy that we late 30 somethings are da’ bomb lol! 😉 despite the weather you still were a total boss Salt!!! 🙂

BETTY DOWN!!! Some one spilled the salt!!! Does that mean we have to throw her over our shoulder now? lol
    Happy Birthday my beautiful sparking friend. You are one of the best and most fabulous people that I have ever met. Cheers to many more years of kicking ass and taking names!

Hahaha I often do when we are playing around the house but now it has taken on a whole new meaning! Thank you so much, lovely! You are wonderful and you just made my day. ❤

Sounds like a great birthday weekend for both of you! I love the cake photo 🙂 I had my first outdoor run in weeks on Sunday and it was such a nice feeling.

That picture of you and Betty with your cakes is just precious – it’s like such a moment! Kudos to whomever captured that one.
    My favorite cake? Pineapple Upside Down – especially when the bottom (or top since it’s upside down) gets nice and gooey and pineapply. I love red velvet when it’s made with ermine frosting which is so hard to make and I only ever see it sold with cream cheese frosting…
    Training for me is going well, 8 more weeks until my half! I see outdoor runs in my future and I’m so excited! I’m a little paranoid about my long run schedule since I have some races interrupting it this month…but I’ll get through all that just fine.

That would be my sister in law and I almost lost my mind when I saw it. I LOVE it! I don’t think I’ve ever had pineapple upside down cake before. I should get on that because B loves her some pineapple.
      Your training has been going GREAT and I’m so excited to see how you do in your race. I have a ton of confidence that you will have a huge PR there. Congrats again on your great race yesterday!

Thank you! I hope so. All this training inside has thrown me so far off I think (and really killed my motivation). I’m definitely feeling a little better after finally getting back outside though.

8. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Every kind of cake is my favorite (unfortunately)!! I don’t have any half marathons or marathons scheduled right now, but I’m trying to stick to a regular running schedule and weekly long run so that I’ll be able to do one on short notice 🙂 hope you had a great birthday!

Cake is delicious and I’m happy to have had the excuse to eat many different kinds this weekend. 🙂 I think it will be a lot easier to stick to any kind of schedule once it gets warmer and all the snow melts! So ready for spring running! I did have a great birthday! Thank you so much. ❤

9. hellyontherun says:

Dude, you are killing this training!! A after A after A! I love it! I’m so glad you had a great birthday weekend–wish I coulda been there to celebrate ❤ Have fun with Mar tonight!!!!

Thank you! For the first time in awhile I felt better about everything. The treadmill was really killing my motivation and it feels so good to be outside again!
      I wish you were here to celebrate too. Maybe next year I fly out there! 😀

10. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

You are doing such a great job with your training given all the BS mother nature is shoving at you!! I am so glad you and B had a great birthday weekend together, I love that you guys can celebrate your birthday’s together, that is really sweet! My favorite cake is a key lime cake Robyn makes me for my birthday with key lime frosting too, SO good! I LOVE anything key lime though!

Mmmmm that sounds amazing! I LOVE key lime anything too! I have a super easy key lime pie recipe that I make in the summer and take to BBQs if you are interested! (Like it’s so easy I feel like I’m cheating when I make it…my mom got the recipe from a restaurant years ago!)

I love that we get so celebrate our birthdays together too and that she’s old enough now to get the concept of that! ❤ Thank you so much, friend! I hope you had a great weekend!

11. Kristin says:

Happy Birthday Salt!!! Such cute cutie pictures!! Eeek!! Oh by he way, YUM YUM BIRTHDAY CAKE!! Birthday cake is THE BEST! 🙂 Fabulous runs, too!! You are one tough mamma!! I love it!! I wish you the best week! XOXO

Geez, three ice storms? That’s nuts! But it looks like you had a great week regardless. Happy birthday again to you and Miss Betty! I’m training for a 10k right now, and I’m behind where I’d like to be, but considering all the crap I’ve got going on, it could be worse!

I think you are going to be in great shape for your race! You got a little bit of a rest week and now you can be ready to take on the world! Thank you so much!

The outlook for this week looks like RUN OUTSIDE WEATHER!! I’m so excited! Thank you so much. I feel so lucky to be able to share this time with my girl!

You did too! We’ve all been through way too much with this winter nonsense. Bring on spring! And stay tuned for fro yo selfies! 😀 (I wish you were coming too!)

13. thesimplepeach says:

That ice looks horrible! I’m glad you made it out injury free. I don’t think there is a “wrong” flavor of cake although my favorite is my Mom’s german chocolate. She used to make it every year for my birthday and now I request it when I visit. My training is a bit behind due to a stupid stomach bug! I’m hoping to ramp up this week though and get back to it!

Oh no I’m sorry about the bug. I feel like illnesses are taking my running buddies out one by one this year. 😦 Feel better!!! German chocolate cake sounds delicious!

Happy Birthday, Salt! That’s so nice that your birthday falls so close to Betty’s. It definitely makes it extra special.
    I’m so glad you had an amazing birthday run too! No better feeling 🙂 You’re killing it and I really, really, really can’t wait to see you finish in April! Did you see that the half and full start at the same time too?? (They haven’t in previous years.)

It really does. 🙂 And it’s perfect timing because they are so close but she still gets her own day. So really we celebrate her birthday from the 5th until the 8th and then when mine is over her’s is over too haha. Lucky girl gets all the parties. 🙂
      I heard about them starting the races at the same time and I’m SO GLAD! I had read in a bunch of places that having the half start earlier was making it hard on some of the marathoners. Not that I’m one of the fast ones that would run into that, but it’s nice to know they listened and changed it up! I really hope the rest of my training goes well. I just want to finish strong. 🙂 Thanks, friend!

15. Jessica says:

Great running week.! and what an adorable pic of you and your daughter 🙂 looks like a great moment between you two.
    and I’m actually not a huge cake fan, but I do like ice cream cake.!

Thank you! It might be one of my favorite pictures ever. It was so candid…I’m glad my sister-in-law had a camera! I haven’t had ice cream cake in a long time, but yes…so good!

16. the mile report says:

A++ for effort! ugh, there’s not really any way around weather like that.
    I’m so happy that your 18-miler went well! And at a solid pace!
    I really, really love cake. My favorite is probably the basic vanilla on vanilla.

Thanks! Haha yeah there really was no way around it. So much ice. I’m so glad it seems to be over!!

I’m a vanilla fan myself (moreso than chocolate!) so I’ve got to agree with you on that!

I haven’t had carrot cake in forever! Maybe I should get one for Betty…I’m always trying to get her to eat her veggies. 🙂
      That picture might be one of my all time faves!

um, I thought I commented on this post but perhaps that’s old age setting in!! I read it earlier 😦 thanks for the birthday shoutout and happy happy to you and Miss Betty. It was great seeing you both tonight (and I totally forgot I had a bee sticker on my hand! lol) Have to do this again soon!!

It’s a BEE FROM B!!! She was VERY excited to give you a sticker. 🙂 So much fun with you earlier! You let us know and we will come down for a visit. Zoo? Pho?? We also need to find a race (and that NFL one looks promising!) HAPPIEST BIRTHDAY!!!

18. irishrunnerchick says:

Yummy cakes! My favorite is black forest chocolate cake mmm cherries, chocolate and whipped cream. Hope you girls had awesome birthdays! And glad to hear that you got to run outside, well except for that ice -> sketchy! But warm temps are on their way – I got to run in shorts and a t-shirt today!

Okay that sounds freaking awesome. Anything with whipped cream on it is good with me!
      We had an awesome weekend thank you so much! We aren’t quite to shorts weather yet, but getting there!

Ugh, I feel your pain on the outdoors run. I still haven’t run outside and I think my first run back outside will be Rock N Roll this weekend in the RAIN! Better than sleet I guess, but I hate cold rain!! Happy Birthday friend!!

UGH yeah I was just talking to Sara about the forecast for this weekend (she’s doing the 5K). Not looking so hot. 😦 Maybe the rain will hold off for you guys!
      And thank you! 37 is nice so far! 😀

20. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

Aw I love that you guys get to celebrate your birthday together!! (Happy belated birthday, by the way!) That ice means business!! I would be terrified to run on that. I hate when treadmills are rickety — I’ve been running a little bit at a gym and even though it’s nice, the treadmill still makes lots of noise when I run on it and I find it so distracting. That being, I think other people are staring at me like “why is that girl making so much noise?” haha. Training hasn’t been going as wonderful as I first planned because of a new medication I just started (it totally KO’d me for a few days) but I feel great now so I’m playing catch-up!

Me too! I was so excited when I was pregnant and found out my due date. 🙂
      The ice def means business and it’s def still around this morning making my progression run a big pain in the butt haha. Nothing can make an easy run 100x harder quite like a treadmill moving around underneath you. It’s like running during an earthquake! I’m so glad you’re feeling better! ❤

Congrats on a fantastic birthday run and great overall week of training! Despite the horrible weather, you made it through!

My favorite cake is white cake with lots of vanilla buttercream frosting. A classic combo 🙂 And now, I could go for a slice of cake for lunch!

22. Shawna says:

yay for outdoor running again! i had my first two in two weeks on Saturday and last night, and it makes my heart so happy! glad you got out on your bday wknd. looks like a fab bday. i’m not really a cake person (i know, i know, but truthfully! even as a kid i always wanted brownies or ice cream and had no interest in cake), but if i had to choose, i’d go with something semi-healthyish…like a pumpkin applesauce coffee cake or whatnot. 🙂

23. ambertherunner says:

Nice job getting your miles in during the suckfest that was last week’s weather. At least the nice weather was reserved for the weekend so you could do your 18 miler outside 🙂
    I can’t stand old, rickety treadmills! Why don’t gyms just throw them away already?! I remember using one at a hotel gym that wouldn’t even stay on the incline. I’d bump it up to 2%, only for it to slide back down to 0% a few stride in. Ugh.
    Here’s to hoping Spring is here for real now 😀