Friday Faves! {The Friday Five}

You know what my most favorite thing in the whole world would be right now? Shorts weather.

DC_linkup

Anywinterbitchfest it’s time for the Friday Five with three of my faves: Mar, Courtney and Cynthia! Today these faves want me to talk about my faves. This was a tough topic for me seeing as I tend to be a non-discriminatory lover of all the things.

After much deep thought I was able to narrow it down for the sake of this post so besides my obvious love of eventual springtime…

5 of Salt’s Very Many Favorites

1) Running Shoes

I know I’m not alone in this one, but I’m kind of obsessed with my shoes. I might have a little bit of a shoe hoarding problem. The photo below does not include shoes that have been retired.

photo (15)

In case you are wondering…Top Row: Hoka Clifton, Adidas Boost 2, Adidas Adios Adizero Boost, Under Armour Speedform Gemini. Bottom Row: Brooks Pure Connect 2, Saucony Kinvara 4, New Balance 1400, New Balance 890.

The other day  I read a very interesting post that had been re-blogged by Mike and originally posted by Harold. Basically if Harold’s shoes don’t fit his needs, he modifies them and the story behind all this is really pretty cool. I never considered shoe modification as a possibility mostly because I LOVE trying out new shoes. Clearly.

Is this normal? I don’t know, but I feel that perhaps having that amount of running shoes in current rotation may not be. Normal or not, I love my shoe collection.

2) Tiramisu lattes

About a month ago Starbucks permanently ran out of vanilla macchiato syrup (WTactualF) and I almost broke up with them forever. I was devastated. No other drink could compare to it. I tried to force myself to love the standard vanilla latte or the cinnamon dolce, which I would repeatedly order and get about halfway through before remembering that I despise cinnamon dolce lattes.

But then came the tiramisu latte and I got SO EXCITED when I heard the news. I don’t know why; it’s not as if I’m a rabid fan of tiramisu. It was more like a glimmer of hope that something new might become my drink. Then I was slightly less excited when I read the reviews. Apparently no one really liked it very much, but I still wanted to give it a fair shot. I ordered one on my lunch break a few weeks ago and the girl at the cash register asked me if I was sure and then told me that if I hated it she would make me a different drink. Not much of a vote of confidence for the tiramisu latte.

Quite the opposite happened though. I LOVED it and now it’s my go-to drink. If my car wasn’t currently buried under a foot of snow and it wasn’t almost bedtime, I’d go out and get one right now.

I prefer mine sans whip.

I prefer mine sans whip.

3) Century Gothic

Please allow me to graphic-design-nerd-out for a second.

For those that might not know, I’m a graphic designer. I’ve been doing this for the last 15 years, which makes me feel very old when I type it out. I geek out over things like negative space, Pantone colors and fonts. I’m  very partial to sans serifs and I always have a favorite, which changes regularly. Currently my favorite font is called CENTURY GOTHIC.

font21

Isn’t it beautiful? I probably sound like a weirdo to anyone who doesn’t care about typography, but it’s such a clean, versatile, modern font. I’ve been using it a lot lately.

4) Disney Princesses

I can’t believe I just admitted that to the world.

I was never big on princesses, Disney or otherwise. As a child I never recall wanting to be a princess. I was more interested in pretending I was a Thundercat. When I found out I was having a little girl, I swore I would never push the whole princess thing. No onesies with “princess” written on them and no frilly, girly outfits and headbands either. Plenty of people bought these things for us and I appreciated the sentiment, but the tags mostly stayed on. We aren’t really a fancy dress family.

Once she got old enough to start forming her own opinions though, all bets were off. Princess talk made its way into our home and because I’m all about her I had to start familiarizing myself with them . And you know what? They are actually some super cool girls. Especially the newer Disney icons like Merida and Rapunzel.

photo 2 (11)

5. Nuun

Before I discovered Nuun, my life was one failed “I’m going to drink more water!” challenge after another. Now my Nuun hoarding problem is almost as bad as my shoe hoarding problem. This is happening in my purse as we speak:

photo

What can I say…I like variety?

I’m probably one of the most hydrated people you know. It only takes me a couple days to rip through a tube of this stuff. I even added half a tab of Tri-Berry to a glass of Pinot Grigio once just to see what would happen. This may sound horrifying, but I can report that it was actually quite good.

Bonus: It’s wouldn’t be a proper list of favorites without this favorite

Someone is a VERY happy 3 year old today! Birthday success!

Now that's a birthday outfit!

With impeccable fashion sense!

As much as I am so over all the winter garbage I was actually thankful for the storm yesterday because there was no school and my little family all got snowed in together. It was a birthday cake for breakfast, snowball throwing, moving watching, dress-up playing, lazy day full of snuggles on the couch and lots and lots of “I love yous”. It was as perfect as being trapped in the house could ever be. I wish I didn’t have to go back to the real world! (But at least it’s almost the weekend!)

I hope that everyone has a wonderful one. My very own birthday is on Sunday so I’m looking forward to celebrating with 18 miles (it will be 40 degrees Sunday and hopefully some of this snow will melt and I’ll have a non-treacherous surface to run on) and a family party for Betty. And me too I guess, but I gladly turned any kind of birthday spotlight over to her the second she was born.

How many pairs of running shoes do you have? What do you order when you go to Starbucks? Do you drink Nuun? Favorite flavor? Do you have a favorite font?

I’m FULL of questions today!

75 thoughts on “Friday Faves! {The Friday Five}

BETTY BIRTHDAY!!!!
    Typo-nerd. I love it. I have a few faves–some serif, some sans serif. My biggest pet peeve with some fonts is the the tracking. I hate abnormal tracking and kerning. GAH

2. kiwiyogirunner says:

Happy birthday to Betty! She is too adorable 🙂 it is definitely shorts weather here in sydney, I hope that is not mean of me to say that 🙂
    I only have one pair of running shoes (living out of a suitcase does that to one 😉 ) and I love them! And my fave font is chiller but sometimes I can’t find it in the font menu. I have no idea why that is, I am not motivated enough to google it yet haha 🙂

3. FLRunnerBoy says:

Yay to Nuun!!! Annnnd is that you floor full of shoes or have I been teleported to foot locker haha! I’m not going to judge though my closet pukes out Brooks shoes every time I open it lol 🙂

Thanks, dear! The only reason I have so many right now is because a couple of the pairs were free and also I like to look around on Ebay for shoes. That way if I end up hating them I didn’t spend a TON of money.
      I love that font!! I think I might need to get it for my own use! (And I love that you shared it too.)

Yay I’m so glad Betty had a good birthday! I think I have 4 pairs of shoes right now in the rotation, and 2 that I bought on sale but haven’t started wearing yet.
    I don’t have a favorite font, but I have started becoming very aware of fonts as I read blogs. Sometimes I get super jealous of other peoples’ fonts, especially when they are clean and easy to read! (but i never know what they are called)

I do that when I read blogs too! Occasionally I will come across the odd blog that is done in a really bad display font (no one that I read regularly) and it makes my eyes burn. I’m not snobby about too many things in life, but bad fonts are one of my pet peeves.

5. AbsentElemental says:

I’m terribly excited for the tiramisu latte. It sounds fantastic. I have been getting a caramel flan latte lately when I go, however I’m always tempted to try the other one.

I tried the caramel flan when it was around last time and was not wowed. But I also think I might have gotten it on a day when I didn’t like the coffee they were using as much. (Sometimes Starbucks tastes like flowers to me haha!) I bet you will like it though!

6. Shawna says:

haha these random favorites are amazinggggg. i love that you included a font, some princesses, running gear and a coffee drink. you’re all sorts of awesome here. never heard of a tiramisu latte but i def love me a great skinny vanilla latte (and now i want one, thankyouverymuch). HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! hope you have an amazing wknd, lady!

I do like the skinny vanilla, but it just wasn’t the same as the vanilla macchiato! So heartbreaking haha!
      Thank you so much, friend! I’m hoping for a relaxing one with lots of melted snow. PERFECT birthday present!

7. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

We share a shoe problem, strike that, there is no problem–there is absolutely nothing wrong with options!! Right? At least that is what I tell Robyn when he shakes his head at me when I bring home a new box! I haven’t had a tiramisu latte, but I may try it now that you have piqued my interest. My go to is usually a tall, skinny chai or decaf skinny peppermint mocha. I have the pink Nuun (I can’t remember the flavor) but I used it a lot during my last marathon training, but I don’t generally drink much other than water and wine 🙂 SO glad B had an awesome birthday, she is adorable!! Have a great weekend my friend!

I am a big skinny peppermint mocha fan too, but then they ran out of the skinny peppermint (wtf!? running out of all the things!?). I guess I could just go regular though. 🙂

Our poor, poor husbands. I know Mike would be able to relate to Robyn so much on this! 😀 I hope your weekend is wonderful too! Get a tiramisu latte!

8. Lindsey says:

Happy, happy birthday to your little one! I frequent Starbucks the most during the holidays–I LOVE the peppermint mocha. And yes, I know I can get it any time of year, but I swear it tastes better in the red cup 😉

I just adore you Betty pics. And Betty and Elsa are just too much! I have a shoe fetish too. My runners were over a few weeks and teased me about the number of shoes at my door.

Shoe lovers unite!
      And thank you…she was so into all the princesses at Disney. Tears in my eyes the whole time! When you take your little to Disney for the first time and watch their reaction…it’s just the best thing ever. 🙂

10. lazgirlruns says:

First off a very Happy Birthday to your daughter and happy early birthday to you!

I am also obsessed with shoes. I have shoe ADD. I don’t stick with any one brand and I love trying new brands and buying new shoes even when I don’t need them (that’s a lie I always need them). I currently have several pair of Mizunos, a pair of Salomon trail shoes and a pair of Sauconys in my rotation. After trying the new Asics I might be adding them too.

Thank you thank you! Like you, I am so NOT brand loyal. I feel like they all have something different to offer and I’ve actually found that some of my favorites are shoes that don’t often get talked about (such as my Adidas…I never really expected to love running in Adidas!)

Century Gothis is quite a lovely font. I tried to avoid the princesses too…but when Frozen came out all bets were off. Not that I was opposed to it, but I didn’t want it taking over my house and my life. But oh well, her favorite colors are pink & purple, and if I ask her what her name is, sometimes she says “Rapunzel”. If it makes her happy, then I’m happy.
    I only have 3 pairs of running shoes, Saucony Triumphs, Asics Cumulus, & I just got a new pair of Asics Nimbus last week. My Cumulus look to be on their way out.
    I love Nuun, I think Tropical is my favorite flavor. I like to add it to flavored sparkling water…it’s fantastic!

Thank you and thank you! These little girls…they do what they want! Both such big personalities! Betty claims to have the same favorite colors so I’m sure this is a discussion that has come up at school. I’ve never tried Nuun in sparkling water. That sounds great!

Aww, happy birthday to Betty! Hope you guys do lots to celebrate this weekend 🙂

I tried a tiramisu latte last weekend after you mentioned the drink and thought it was delicious! In fact, I’ll have a hard time picking between a tiramisu latte and shamrock shake this weekend. Maybe I’ll have to run a few extra miles so I can have both 😉

Thank you! I think Mr. Salt might disown me if I brought another pair of shoes in the house right now. 😉
        OMG SHAMROCK SHAKES ARE BACK. Thank you so much for the reminder! Now I’m kind of glad I’m running 18 this weekend. Totally justified! I hope you have a great weekend!

That tiramisu flavor at Starbucks sounds intriguing, I might have to try that the next time I’m there! I love the new Disney princesses too, and I’m still a fan of Belle and Mulan 🙂

Thank you! Ahhh I have a three year old!!
      I promise you it won’t ruin your wine if you try it. 🙂 I think I’ll do it again this weekend at some point. You will be the PERFECT Canadian ambassador!

14. Jessica says:

That coffe looks really good.. but now I’m afraid to order it becasue you said most people didnt like it. lol. My go to drink is a White Chocolate Mocha, I get it everytime. and it just so happens that that we live across from a coffee stand that makes the best.!
    Hope you have a great birthday on sunday 🙂 🙂

Mmmm I love white chocolate mochas too! It’s a good thing there isn’t a Starbucks or any other coffee place walking distance from my house. I’d never sleep! Thanks, lady!

15. Jess @hellotofit says:

Oh. My. Tiramisu and coffee sound like a glorious combo! I only have one pair of running shoes and one pair of cross trainers…tehehe. I don’t put in nearly as many miles as you awesome running bloggers, do, though…

I think I have far too many shoes for the amount of miles I run haha! And it’s definitely a delicious combo! Try it! (And then tell me how much you love it!)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BETTY!!! That sounds like the perfect birthday and I’m so glad all of you enjoyed it.
    I am also a huge fan of the new Tiramisu Latte. I’m not quite sure why people haven’t like it much…

17. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

hahaha did you just blog about how you like a FONT? Such a nerd! 😉

That latte looks killer! I’ll have to try. I usually play it safe with a soy latte but every now and then I like to shake it up. Thanks for the suggestion!

WHOA those shoes. I’m guessing most of them are way too worn to actually run in anymore? Or is that how many you have in your rotation, supastar?

18. lacey@fairytalesandfitness says:

Disney is so fun! Especially for little princesses:) When she gets older you definitely have to take her to Princess half marathon wkend. So fun! I have many flavors of Nuun as well. Can never have too many. That Starbucks drink sounds tasty. I have a gift card to there. I know what I am getting next time I’m there.

19. fitfoodiemama says:

I did not know that Starbucks carried a tiramisu flavor (my fav) also, I am with you on NUUN. I will have enough empty tubes and will be making a NUUN clock with them….still trying to figure out the best way to go about it! 😛

haha, love the font talk!! I like Century Gothic too. For straight font. I’m really in to script styles with my favorite being Lobster Two and my ultimate favorite is the Zapfino font family. It was a staple of mine when I used to make cards for others – a lot of weddings went into that 😉

and Happy Birthday Betty and happy birthday weekend to YOU! See you soon!

21. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

I am actually jealous of your sneaker collection. haha, I only have 2 pairs right now (my current sneakers and my previous retired pair), and everytime I go into a store that sells shoes, I find myself pulled in the direction of the running sneakers even though I don’t really have enough mileage to warrant a new pair. But I may need to get one anyway. 🙂 and I am also a HUGE starbucks fan, but I usually stick to a plain old nonfat latte. Haha, I’m kind of curious about the tiramisu one now though!

22. Running Boston and Beyond says:

Happy Birthday to you!!!! And of course your little princess too 🙂 I was never a princess and have boys, so I don’t know many of them and still have never seen Frozen. Anyway, I love shoes and am waiting for my new Nimbus to show up any day now! I don’t have room to keep them, so they go through the typical order – race shoe, running shoe, walking shoe, mowing shoe, mud run shoe, dog toy, trash. By that time, they’re too beat up to donate, but if there’s a pair that sneaks by, I give them to the running store and they do their thing with the old shoes. Have a great warm(er) weekend!!!

23. Cecilia @ MommiesRun says:

Happy birthday to your cutie! I’m a huge Nuun fan (Team Nuun also), and my favorites include Wild berry energy, cherry limeade, grape, and strawberry lemonade. I can’t live without it! I also have a very large shoe collection thanks to Mizuno!

24. Sher says:

Happy Birthday to Ms. Betty! I normally order a plain soy milk latte at Starbucks when I do go. I usually make lattes at home. I think typography is beautiful and right now I am really loving Quicksand 🙂

25. Nicole@TheGirlWhoRanEverywhere says:

Happy birthday to you both! This post was so awesome!
    I loooooooooooooooove nuun. Love love love. I need to order more bc I’m more of a hoarder and I use it sparingly even though unknowns have three more tubes in my cabinet—I need to have MORE in there so I don’t have to worry and can drink it even more frequently bc that ish is delish!

I have a sneaker problem too…currently, I have about 10 pairs in my rotation! So many!
    Have a great weekend!

26. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

Betty’s costume is amazing. You should start a kid’s costume business on the side with all your free time 😉

Happy birthday (early). It’s my husband and my anniversary Sunday too. Good day!

My brother is a graphic designer and he created a cool font http://www.losttype.com/font/?name=bender I geek over color too in the firm of Benjamin Moore paint palettes. I get a huge kick out of the names people give them (we have Bourbon Street Red in our powder room and I looked all up and down the real Bourbon Street to see if I could find the original. No luck, but close!)

Oh my dear…:O I want that shoe collection! Speaking of shoes, do you have a shoe you recommend for speed work or road racing!? I know we’re all so different in terms of what works for us, but the shoes I had been wearing have given me problems in the same spot every time I wear them, so I think it’s time to venture out and try something new and I’m looking for somewhere to start in terms of finding a new racing shoe.

You do not sound like a weirdo with having a favorite font! I don’t know if I have a favorite, but it drove me nuts when I couldn’t just choose a nice clean font in school and had to use Times New Roman.

Merdia and Rapunzel are pretty awesome. I went with my nieces and nephew to see Brave when it came out and loved it 🙂

I’m going to try the tiramasu latte now! I’ve been looking for a new drink because I’ve just been kind of bla with Starbucks ever since I was spoiled with my holiday flavors. I was iffy on trying the tiramasu for the same reasons you said, but I trust your opinion on coffee!

Happy Belated Birthday to Miss Betty and Happy Birthday to you!

28. jeszaflik says:

Great post!! i have not heard of tiramisu lattes!!! I too am anxious to add running outside as a current favourite i am still in the middle of winter 😦

Congrats on finding a new Starbucks drink! Right now I’m into the Flat White with caramel (my own creation). So yummy! But I’ll drink any coffee honestly 🙂 I might need to try the tiramisu out!

30. Liz @ Loving to Tri says:

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great run yesterday!
    I get boring drinks at Starbucks – either a plain old cappuccino or a latte. The flavored ones are usually too sweet for me. I do love me some Nuun though – haven’t met a flavor I don’t like yet.

Oh, how I love Nuun. I wish they’d let you select the flavors you wanted for a mixed 4 pack so I could try more flavors more easily. I’m drinking up the last of my Tropical tubes, and I think I’m gonna order the Nuun Energy Cherry Limeade next. And the font that I really like right now is Calibri. It’s different without being too weird, but still really clean and legible.