NJ Marathon Training Week 10 Recap

I’m shopping around for a hotel right now as we speak and wondering if it might be cheaper for me to just sleep under the boardwalk. 55 more days!!

Week 10 Grade: A

I’m so happy with how this week went because I wasn’t expecting anything great at all. The temperatures tanked again and pretty much every morning featured single digits, including Saturday for my long run. I anticipated a lot of time on the treadmill. I was right about that part.

Monday, February 23: 6am Body Pump for the first time in weeks. I made sure to lighten up my squat weight a little bit (still taking care of that hammy), but this was a good class. In the evening I went to yoga at Ojas Wellness Center. It was a new-to-me studio for this sort of thing, but not surprisingly the class was great. I rarely meet a yoga class I don’t love.

Tuesday, February 24: 4 miles on the mill. This would kick off a week of really super-feeling runs; it was nice to push my speed a little bit because I haven’t been doing as much of that lately.

Wednesday, February 25: 8 miles…all smiles. I wore my new compression socks for the first time and my legs felt amazing after this run. (That giveaway is still going on btw! It ends tomorrow night!)

photo (13)

I’m thinking the Boost 2 might be my marathon shoe (I’m also loving my Speedform Gemini, but they seem to treat my feet better for short distances). I went back to Ojas for yoga in the evening and the teacher was so great. She gave me the nicest compliments on my practice after class was over and made me feel so good about myself.

Thursday, February 26: 4 miles that I intended to be slow but I was feeling peppy so I sped it up a little at the end. I don’t know what was so different between last week and this week on the treadmill, but I sure needed a little confidence boost.

Friday February 27: Rest day and my wedding anniversary! By this time I was so stressed out about my long run that it was hard to relax.  As I saw it, I had a couple choices:

1. Run the whole thing GD outside in negative degree windchills, starting before 5am to get it all in. Or….
  2. Go to the gym right when it opened (6 am) and get as much of the run knocked out as I could before having to rush home so Mr. Salt could get to work. Then figure out a time later on in the day when I could go back and finish up.

At any other time moving the run to Sunday would have been a good option too, but with all the anniversary celebrating in the plans for Saturday night I didn’t want to have to think about running long the next day. I had never split a long run before and I really didn’t want to do it, but then I started reading around online and found some good arguments in favor of doing this occasionally and the benefits involved. Friday night I went to bed comfortable in my decision.

Saturday, February 28: 17 miles. As planned, I arrived to the gym at 6am and promptly lost track of my headphones, took 10 minutes to find them, and then finally got my butt on the treadmill by quarter after. I wanted to try to get 12 in before having to head back to the house and I already didn’t have as much breathing room as I would have liked.

Luckily the 12 mile portion of my long run went better than I thought it would. I knocked it out in 1:39:00 on the dot  (8:15 pace) and was home in plenty of time for Mr. Salt to be on his way to work.

My gym has a pretty cool child care center and a couple hours later I headed back to the gym with Betty so I could kick out the last 5 miles. They were showing Tangled so she was a happy camper. This time I was sure I was going to have to take it easy. My legs would obviously be ragged out from earlier, right? This ended up not being the case. I finished up my 5 miles in 39:44 (7:56 pace). Runner’s high hit me like a truck. I hadn’t felt this good since running in Florida.

11028364_961498443862559_7028624445825197196_n

Sunday, March 1: Wheeeeeeeeeeee it’s MARCH! Springtime is almost here! Mother Nature decided to celebrate by dumping a whole bunch of ice on us.

I hate her.

I managed to get to the gym to jump on the Arc trainer and bike for an hour before driving 2MPH home and hiding in the house for the rest of the day. Good thing Hal suggests rest days on Monday because whether I want to or not, I’m taking one. (Everything is closed. UGH.)

Week 10 Mileage: 33

It is my hope that I will actually be able to abandon the treadmill this week. Morning temperatures are looking like they will be in the 20’s and I’m getting pretty anxious about making the transition back out there. And as much as splitting up the 17 miler worked out, I really don’t want to do it with the 18. I can’t believe I am under two months out from this race.

Have you ever split up a long run?

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

71 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 10 Recap

I have definitely split up a long run and there is nothing wrong with doing that occasionally. In some ways it can actually be beneficial. It trains your body to continue to work through exhaustion. I often (when I am trying to shed a few pounds) do two a days and it really does make you lean and strong. During my last marathon cycle I had the flu during my 17 miler. I tried doing it outside and got 7 in before I was done. Later I did the 10 on the mill just to mentally not mess with my head and you know what? It was great. Congrats on a great training week!

Thanks! WOW even a split run with the flu is crazy dedication! 🙂 I’m so glad to hear so much positive feedback on doing this from time to time. I didn’t feel great about it to begin with, but now I’m just so glad to have gotten the miles in.

2. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

GREAT week lady–despite Mother Nature being fickle!! I hope you can get outside for a few of your runs this week!! My PT had me split two of my long runs when I was training for Boston, I was a bit leery of this approach but I ended up really liking it and it gave me the mental boost I needed when I hit point in my training when my confidence was shaky. I am glad you enjoyed splitting your run too and amazing paces, you are going to be a ROCKSTAR in NJ!! I hope you and Mr. Salt had a great anniversary!! ❤ you friend and have a good week!

Thanks! Me too! Ugh this week was looking good weather wise but now it’s ice tomorrow night, more snow Thursday and my long run temp is looking like it will be around 15. And I’m not planning on splitting this one. Oh well. Gotta get it done somehow! I really hope the transition back to outside won’t be so bad! I hope you have a wonderful week too! ❤

3. bluecoyotelifecoaching says:

Wow! Way to kick that long run. It’s hugely inspiring to me to know folks out there can run 12 miles in less than 3 hours (ha, I’m slow).

Feel free to ignore this bit of info, since I don’t know where the start for the NJ Marathon is and what your comfort level with travel that morning may be. All of that said, Ocean Grove is a wonderful, family friendly town with a lot of Inns and Bed & Breakfasts. You’ll have some great restaurant options, too. If you want something a little more ‘adults only’ for dinner & drinks after the race you can always walk right down the boardwalk to Asbury Park – tons of new restaurants have opened right on the boards.

Thank you so much for the heads up on the area! All of that should be either right there or very drivable for us. I just booked my Saturday night hotel, but we will probably be looking for something else for Sunday night. I’d love to check out that area!

Nice job with all those runs last week! Mother nature is really laughing at us lately, huh? I mean, ICE STORMS?!?! come on, that’s just cruel. At least this week will be a little warmer, and maybe some rain will help it to start melting?? Well you are amazing for getting those 17 done on the treadmill. Awesome dedication!

And more tomorrow! Can you even believe this? I’m supposed to have a class downtown at 5:30 and if it gets canceled I’m going to be so mad. I’m actually attempting to run outside in the morning so we will see how that goes. (We still don’t really have sidewalks around here. Ugh.)

5. klregan says:

Nice job staying on top of your training during this terrible winter! It’ll pay off! I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty sick of it.

I’ve never split up a run before. If I don’t finish, I just let those miles go. I should try it some time though. I get really weird and ritualistic about injury prevention, but I imagine I wouldn’t get injured from splitting a run.

Thank you! Oh my god I could not be more sick of it if I tried.
      Injury prevention is one of the big benefits of run splitting and I’m incredibly injury prone so it’s a wonder that I’ve never tried it before!

YES! It felt so good to be back! It would have been nice to be there (or at any class) this morning but everything was canceled due to winter yet again. I’ve heard of GRIT, but not sure where I would find a class. I will definitely look it up though!

Thanks!! I actually do like the treadmill and when I’m running really long on it I tend to zone out completely and don’t remember much of it afterward haha.

6. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

i used to split up long mid week runs when i worked downtown. i’d run 6 in the morning and 4 after work or something like that. i agree w/your assessment it’s fine to do that as long as you’re not doing it all the time. congrats on a great week, lady!

Thank you! I’m so happy to have found it to be an option. This training in the early morning in the winter is killing me. I think I’ll stick to fall marathons from now on. 🙂

7. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

I split a bunch of long runs when training for my first marathon because I ran with a group for part of of it and then finished off on the treadmill because I had more miles on my plan. I usually did the treadmill miles significantly faster, but I’m not sure I think splitting the runs up was the best thing for me, maybe mostly because of the mental aspect.

8. fitfoodiemama says:

Way to rock two runs in one day! That is so awesome that they have child care at your gym and that they show fun movies too!!! So cool that your daughter can have some fun while you’re training!

I had no idea that they had Disney movies there, but now she’s been asking to go back and hang out again! It’s nice to know I have that option if the schedule ever gets really busy. 🙂

I’ve split up runs before because sometimes it’s the only choice you have and can be the difference in getting in quality miles 😉 You had a great week and this post had me laughing. “I hate her” lol… happy almost birthday, almost birthday twin!

It’s just nice to know that I have it as an option for the future in case I’m strapped for time again. It worked out great! And you have excellent taste in movies. Tangled is so cute. 🙂 Great soundtrack too!

This week was soooo cold! I’m just as anxious to get outside. I might actually split up my long run this weekend by doing a 10K on Sunday then finishing it on the treadmill on the way home. I haven’t decided.

You didn’t even miss Body Pump today because the gym opened late!

Me too. I’m attempting 5 out there in the morning so we will see how that goes. More snow and ice on the way for us this week! UGH.
      EVERYTHING opened late today and then I had to go pick up Betty from school because they said she had pink eye. She totally doesn’t have pink eye and I’m super annoyed at them right now. Overall just an obnoxious day. (Charlotte was very sweet when I went to pick B up though!)

Awesome week of training! I’ve never split up a long run, but I’ve also never had to run longer than 13 miles yet, so it makes it a bit easier to get it all in one shot.

12. Meranda@Fairytalesandfitness says:

I never split up a long run, probably because if I did I wouldn’t have enough energy to get back out there and finish it up…lol. Are you doing the NJ marathon in April? If so, I think that is part of the April fools race we usually do.

13. Jessica says:

oooh. ! Good job. I’ve totally thought about doing that before (splitting up a long run) Now I might have to consider it even closer.

Great running week.!

Thanks! 😀 It’s not something that I want to get in a big habit of doing, but every once in awhile I might try it just to mix things up and give my legs a break. They definitely need one.

14. afastpacedlife says:

Awesome sauce! What a great training week. I’m so excited for you. I’m sorry that we’ll be living in BK by the time NJ marathon comes around otherwise I’d say stay with us and take the free train to the race. Have you tried looking at AirBnB? I love using that site and had lots of good experiences.

Awww you are so sweet to even offer! I actually got my hotel for Saturday night situated earlier today and then I think we may look into other options for Sunday night (but will decide that when it gets a little closer…the main issue was the Saturday night stay for just me). I’ll check that site out! Thank you!

15. the mile report says:

two things on that long run-
    1.holy cow, speedy! I’ve occasionally split the long run, but I’ve never gone sub-8 for part two.
    2. Tangled is one of my favorite movies, so I don’t know if I would have made it out of that child care center for the run

Hahaha I almost wanted to hang out and watch it with her. Tangled is one of my favorite movies too. (We have it at home. And the soundtrack. And I know all the songs.) Thank you! I was surprised that the second part went so well. 🙂

16. Jill says:

I’m hoping once we change the clocks this weekend I’ll have time to take most of my runs outside again. I’m really sick if the ‘mill! Awesome job on that 17!miler!!!

17. Shawna says:

“8 miles all smiles”! i love that expression. might steal that, if i ever feel like smiling on a long run again. lollz but seriously, i am at the point where i don’t remember how i ever used to run double digit miles, so i’m praying that changes soon! nice job, girl.

18. Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! says:

Splitting the run is interesting – I don’t think I’ve done it but now with tri training I have a coach and mentioned to her that I have trouble fitting in the longer bike rides. And that I have some group rides with the LUNA Chix coming up and she said to do the trainer then the group ride. I said there’s a big break between them driving to the ride, and she made me realize it’s OKAY. So I hadn’t really thought much about this – I tend to put off the run until I have a huge chunk of time and then it gets hard to fit it in – will think about this when marathon training later this year!

That’s where I was struggling with it this weekend. Like normally I would be like no problem and move it to Sunday like I did with the 14 miler in Florida, but I really didn’t want to spend my anniversary night worrying about a long run. It was the best looking option for sure and it worked out great!

19. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

WOOOOOF splitting up that run sounds miserable! If you make it that far you may as well just keep going haha. That would totally throw me off and there’s probably a 3% chance I’d have finished those 5 miles later in the day haha you have so much more discipline than I do. I’m about to read about you and your hubby (Friday’s post) – can’t wait. You two are just the cutest.

Hahaha I so wish I could have done it all at once. If only my gym opened like 45 minutes earlier!
      Thank you so much. 😀 He is pretty great and we had the most fun times this weekend!

20. Kristin says:

Wow Salt, way to go!! You had a fabulous running and working out week!! Two thumbs up!! Amazing! You are such a cutie, too!! I just wanna give you a big hug because you’re such a cutie!! You are beautiful!! Always love your pics!! You do the cutest poses!! Just so so sweet! XOXO

You are kicking that weathers booty, not letting it interfere with your training. You’re awesome, my friend :). I’ve never split up a long run, but I’m running twice a day sometimes now, once in the morning, and then sometimes with the kids I coach, and I almost always feel good on the second run of the day. I can’t wait to see what NJ has in store for you with the way your training has been going! Have a great week!

Mmm I don’t know about all that now. Kicking booty would probably be more like me actually running outside. But at least I’m getting the miles in one way or the other. I just hope the transition back to outside isn’t too weird!
      I’ve run twice in a day once before and liked it then too. I should do it more often I guess!

22. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

I’m so sick of winter…snow, ice. snice – go away!
    I’ve split up my runs back in the fall when I was training for my half – it was kinda nice but also physically hard towards the end.

I haven’t ever split up a run before. I think you and I need to find a treadmill marathon and run next to each other 🙂

24. Run Colby Run says:

I hate Mother Nature too. She is clearly not a runner. She may actually be a sociopath. Despite such a CRAP winter, you are killing this training! You inspire me more than you know. And. If I may say, your yoga instructor is spot on. I have been in AWE of your yoga poses each day (Betty’s especially!). Strong, fluid and absolutely stunning. Your practice is beautiful. Xo

Congrats on running so many miles – and so fast! I think you need to teach me how to do that 🙂 FYI I used you in an argument I had with my husband the other day – I own one pair of non-studded running shoes, and I was looking into buying a second (different) pair and he was complaining about it and asking why I need 2 pairs. I told him all about you and your running shoe collection and he looked really worried about our bank account! Haha. How many pairs do you have right now?

26. ambertherunner says:

Compliments from instructors are the best!!
    Awesome job on your 17 miler! I’ve never split up a long run before, but I have heard benefits of them on podcasts before. I think in the end, getting the miles in while remaining healthy is what matters. & confidence boosts never hurt either 🙂
    Mother Nature has been on my enemy list for the past 2 months. I thought it was supposed to warm up this week- turns out I was wrong & this week looks miserable. Ughh

I’ve never split up a long run but it sounds like you made the right decision – killing it! 🙂 Awesome week of training – isn’t it wonderful when all the miles feel great? Keep up the great work!

Awesome job as always, Ms. Salt! I don’t think I’ve ever split a long run like that before, but that’s because it would be really hard for me to get back to do the second part. I think it’s great that you found a way to work around your schedule (and fun time!) to fit your long run in. More power to ya! 🙂

Thanks lady! It was definitely kind of weird having to go back and finish. Like over the couple hours in between I thought about it way too much. I think if I had to have left it until the evening it would have been even more difficult!