NJ Marathon Week 8 Training Recap

Happy Monday! Didn’t I just do one of these? I feel like all of a sudden time is flying. These 18 weeks are going to be up before I know it.

At the beginning of week 8 I was still in beautiful, warm (by comparison) Florida. For that reason alone it deserves a good grade.

Week 8 Grade: A+++

But really the rest of it was great too:

Monday, February 9: Hal always has Mondays set as a rest day, but then I always end up cross training in some way instead. The resort didn’t have a gym, but it didn’t matter because the sheer amount of walking + lifting and carrying an adorable, nearly-40-pound ball of  energy and attitude from place to place was one tough workout. We went to Hollywood Studios on this day and then back to Magic Kingdom. 17000+ steps and I wasn’t even trying to exercise.

Tuesday, February 10: 4 miles. My legs still felt off from the 14 miler on Sunday (the trail around the resort was concrete so a little rough for long distances), but it was still a great run. How could it not be, right?

photo 3 (4)

And oh look at that…I’m in SHORTS. This winter can seriously kiss my butt.

We had breakfast at Chef Mickey’s that morning so this run was followed up by a little yoga sesh with Donald Duck:

photo 2 (8)

(Way too much fun with this prAna #TaketheLeap Challenge.)

This was our last park day and we spent it at Magic Kingdom again. As much as I do like Epcot and Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom was by far the best place for Betty. Too bad it’s the one place they don’t serve wine because I probably could have used it the most there. (That line to meet Elsa and Anna was INSANE.)

Wednesday, February 11: 7 miles at marathon pace although I didn’t mean for it to be a pace run. This was also our travel day and we were leaving pretty early in the morning so I planned on doing this run when I got back. Then my mom surprised me by suggesting that I go out and get this last run in in the warmth before we headed home. She’s awesome, right?

Running through The Art of Animation Resort...this was the Cars side! I ran up and down this street a bunch.

Running through The Art of Animation Resort…this was the Cars side! I ran up and down this street a bunch.

Beautiful sunrise over Hourglass Lake.

Beautiful sunrise over Hourglass Lake.

Lovely to see you too, Ariel!

My new BFF, Ariel.

We arrived back to cold, horrible Baltimore at around 2pm and that night I went to an hour of yoga. It felt great after all those miles of running and walking from the past several days.

Thursday, February 12: 4 miles and I wasn’t even about to go outside for it. I ended up doing 8×400 intervals on the treadmill which is something I haven’t done in awhile, but it felt pretty good. (Overall 7:33 pace with the recovery.) I also warmed up and cooled down for a half mile apiece so I actually did 5 miles on this day.

Friday the 13th: It was not an unlucky day. Usually on Fridays I rest, but instead thanks to ClassPass Baltimore I was back in the barre studio at 6am. I’m beginning to really enjoy those early morning Friday classes!

Valentine’s Day: THE MOST UNLOVABLE LONG RUN EVER. 15 miles. Single digit wind chills. Frozen face, fingers, and a nose bleed at mile 12. It was an epic struggle and my confidence really took a hit.

photo 2 (9)

I’m trying to focus on the (very few) positives of this run…I felt pretty good  until around mile 7 and my last mile was strong. The rest of it was a trainwreck, BUT I got it done and I’m ready to move on from it.

Sunday, February 15: Oh hey it’s -20 degrees out with 50MPH winds. What better place to be than Bikram yoga? It was an extra pleasant surprise when I arrived and Karen was subbing! You guys know how much I love Karen. Obviously this class was fantastic.

Week 8 Total Mileage: 31

With the exception of Valentine’s Day (which is okay because it was Valentine’s Day and I ran 15 miles that morning) I have gotten my food and drink consumption under control since vacation and am feeling a lot less gross and bloated. As I mentioned up with the Donald pic, I’m also still going strong with the 30 Day Yoga Challenge!

photo 1 (11)

Today marks the halfway point and this yoga every day thing is really working for me. I suspect it will probably continue long after this month is up (although I won’t be filling up my Instagram with it anymore, which I’m sure many people will appreciate.)

On to week 9! This week I will be attending my very first mat Pilates class…hopefully. It’s tomorrow and we have another snowstorm in the works for tonight. Is it spring yet?

Do you take Pilates? Any advice for me? What’s the weather like where you are right now?

51 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Week 8 Training Recap

You have me so excited about running in Florida soon! Congrats on a great training week and sticking with it on vacation (although how could you resist with that weather?). I am a firm believer that everyone should have and needs a terrible long run during marathon training. Surprisingly I think it builds confidence. When you get to the race you won’t think, “This was somehow too easy….” You will be able to look back on that rough run and remember that you pulled it out of your ass somehow and that regardless of what happens during the race you know you can get through anything. Serious confidence booster in my opinion. Way to push through girl!

Seriously GET excited because it’s going to be AWESOME. (And I’m going to be jealous of it!)
      I really like that outlook on my bad run. I just need to use it to build myself up! Thank you for always having such great advice. You rock!

2. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

I have been glued to your instagram with warm weather envy for so long! Welcome back to the land of the freezing! So glad you enjoyed your trip and got to take so many fantastic yoga photos! Sounds like your return to reality was a little rough, particularly your V-day run. So sorry about your tough run but you made it through! Happy Monday!

3. fitfoodiemama says:

I can’t believe you did 15 miles outside in that weather!!! I did 13 on the treadmill on Sunday because it was also negative million degrees here too….seriously winter can kiss my butt!!! So ready for Spring!

I can’t believe it either and hopefully the next time I have to go that long it will be at least a little more forgiving. This week isn’t looking so hot though!

I’m never going to complain about running in heat again.

Thank you so much! In the past two weeks I feel like I’ve gotten a little bit more flexible from this challenge! I wish we had that great weather too. I should just move to where it’s warmer.

I was right here with you Salt. And jeez, I’m just sick of it. I only had to do 6 this past weekend and I did it on the treadmill. I have 8 this weekend and I don’t know how I’m going to get through it on the treadmill – but I can’t go out when it’s this cold!!! This winter isn’t even really as bad as last winter, but I’m still dying for Spring. I’m thinking positive though, February is half over, that means March is coming soon, and that means warmer temps too.

Sucks your Saturday run wasn’t all the great, but at least it was sucky because of the weather, not because of your mad skillz.

I may see you inside on Saturday for my half marathon. I want to do it outside, but if the temps are anything like last weekend (or like today OMG) then I’m retreating. Plus who knows how much snow will be on the ground after tonight. Honestly, I would pick that 8 on the treadmill any day of the week over all this.

I’m hoping for some kind of miraculous warm up over the next couple weeks!

Wait there are places that exist without snow??? I honestly think that we are suffering so much through this because we all thought we were in the clear, so to speak. And then February.
    When do I get to go to Disney with you?

Whenever you want to plan a trip, I’m down. We will run all over Disney and then go on all the rides and hang out with princesses all day. It will be glorious.
      I don’t know what I was expecting from this winter, but I’m OVER IT. I will never complain about summer running again.

6. klregan says:

Awe man. I hate long runs in the cold. They just make me miserable and slow. I’m glad you got to enjoy some good weather though. I just got back from my race in Florida and it is COLD here in the Midwest. I can’t wait until spring/summer.

I think the cold has that effect on most people and if it doesn’t…well I wish I were one of those people that it didn’t happen to! I feel bad complaining about our cold when yours is probably a lot worse! I don’t know how you folks in the Midwest do it!

I finally figured out a way to fit a cycle class at Rev into my schedule tomorrow morning and now we are supposed to get a snowstorm. Ughh.. But I don’t believe anything they say anymore when it comes to snow. I’m so done with this winter! The wind lately has been so scary, even to listen to it from inside.

I know right?? I was supposed to run tomorrow morning, but switched that workout to today instead just in case I can’t get to the gym. I hope you make your class! I’m taking a REV class on Sunday. (Oh there’s supposed to be more snow on Saturday because this winter is neverending.) That wind was INTENSE on Saturday! My husband came home and said it sounded like a horror movie outside!

8. Briana says:

Nice that you were able to get that last run in before coming home… winter by you sounds so brutal. Way to get out there! Your yoga poses look so great, and give me hope that even as a not-so-flexible runner, I can get more flexible (now a year and a half in to a lifelong yoga journey!) 🙂

I was just telling my husband yesterday that we need to move. Preferably someplace with palm trees. I’m so over this.
      Stick with the yoga and the flexibility will come! I was not anywhere NEAR as flexible when I first started. It has truly changed my life!

9. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

I love that you did a yoga pose with Donald Duck! So cute! 🙂 and I AM SO READY FOR SPRING TOO!!! Ugh, this has been the worst winter for running. Congrats on getting your 15 miler done in spite of the nosebleed and freezing temps, that’s seriously impressive.

Haha the trip would have not been complete without a pose with a Disney character. 😉
      I have no room complaining with you up there buried until 10 feet of snow. We need a thaw STAT! Thank you, friend!

Hey, I like you blowing up Instagram with your yoga pics! It motivates me to stick to my own yoga even though it looks nothing like that :). You had an awesome week, despite the terrible conditions you had to run in towards the end! My heart goes out to you all whenever I hear the weather!

Hehe I’m so glad to hear positive feedback on the yoga stuff. I’ve been having so much fun, but I’m sure some people might find it obnoxious. 🙂
      I wish I lived where you do right about now! I’m so over this cold!

I’m ready to head back down there right now and take some more pics. 🙂
      I hope you’re right! My runs haven’t quite been where I want them to be, but I’m also training differently this time around so I’m just trying to trust Hal.

I have loved all of your Disney photos and was so jealous!! And I hope your yoga stays on your instagram, they are such an inspiration to me!!

THANK YOU, my friend! I feel like as the Challenge has gone on, you look so much more stronger, more flexible, and more comfortable. It’s inspiring to ME!

EDIT: So much “more stronger”? Way to go, grammar girl!

12. Lily says:

I feel so bad for all you guys on the East Coast, you’ve got to be so over the weather. I just can’t even imagine! I’ll stay right over here on the other side of the country, thanks. You are rocking the yoga, you might have even inspired me to get up early on my off day and go to a yoga class! Lord knows I need the stretching.

The weather is RIDICULOUSLY cold here–it was -15 when I left my house this morning and my car didn’t really want to start. I’ve been doing LOTS of treadmill running and Les Mills classes instead of going outside. I’ve never done Pilates so I have no advice for you, but I’ll be very interested to hear what you thought after!

What a great week of training and I’m so jealous of the warmer temps and shorts – sounds like heaven! I’m always impressed when people are able to stick with their workouts while on vacation. I’m usually the lazy one that doesn’t run a step 😉

I almost feel like crying when I look at the shorts pic. It’s negative degrees here now. I want to wear shorts again! (I fear it will be awhile though considering that I did do a couple runs in shorts in November around here!)

15. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

You had such an awesome week of training, especially since you were on vacation. I LOVED seeing all the pics of you and B at Disney!! And I already said this, but you really need to start getting certified to teach yoga, seeing your pics is so motivating–you are amazing!

Heh I’m about to blow the blog up with Disney pics tomorrow. I felt they deserved their own post. 🙂 Thank you so much, my friend. As the challenge has gone on I have actually started looking in to where I can fit the training into my schedule and payment plans to make it happen. So the ball is starting to roll! ❤ You are the sweetest!

YOU are the tough one!! Your freezing cold run pics make me feel like the laziest ever! You are amazing!

After trying the Pilates tonight I will definitely be going back. It’s a bad ass workout!

The wind was ridiculous this past weekend! I’m so amazed at your dedication to doing that long run outside. Don’t worry about it not being a great run – the conditions were so rough. What’s important is that you did it and you’re crushing your training plan 😀

And I had no idea they didn’t serve wine in Magic Kingdom. What a bummer! Epcot is definitely the best place for getting that type of magic 😉