NJ Marathon Training Week 7 Recap

Well this one is a little late considering that I’m almost entirely through week 8 by now, but it’s worth reliving because for once I successfully trained for a race while on vacation without completely destroying my legs in the process like I did this time last year.

Week 7 Grade: A+++

I’m going to have to refer to my handy training journal for this recap because I can barely remember what I did yesterday. Travel and travel-related wine, margaritas, and binge eating fries my brain.

Mmmmm fries.

Monday, February 2: Thanks to ClassPass Baltimore (with which my obsession is still going strong) I visited my first MEGAbarre class. It is exactly as intense as it sounds. The class is a fusion of Pilates, cardio and weight training that occurs on this dangerous looking apparatus:

Courtesy of Barreonline dot com.

Courtesy of Barreonline dot com.

There are all sorts of springs and stuff up in that thing that allows you to switch up the resistance. Anyway, for the first five minutes or so of class I didn’t feel very challenged, but then a short time later I began to doubt whether or not I’d be able to climb a flight of stairs later on. It was a good workout. I can’t say that I would ever do it again without ClassPass because a drop in is something like a million dollars, but I’m glad I got a chance to try it.

Tuesday, February 3: 4 miles on the treadmill (7:54) and the first run in my very pink new Boost 2.

photo (3)

I like these shoes. The in the evening ClassPass sruck again!

logo

This time at my first and quite possibly my last pole fitness class. I’ll do more of a recap of this fiasco later, but I’m not even kidding when I say that it was probably the hardest workout I’ve ever done in my life. I felt like such an uncoordinated goon in a room full of ladies in cute little shorts who had obviously been doing this for awhile. The next day I was barely able to lift my arms past shoulder height. Good experience, but I won’t be quitting my day job.

Wednesday, February 4: 7 mile pace run that once again wasn’t a pace run (8:05). It was cold and I wanted to get it over with, but it did feel good to get out there after spending so much time on the treadmill lately. In the evening I went to hot vinyasa class (CLASSPASS!) with one of my favorite teachers who I will be interviewing for my series next week. As usual it felt awesome.

Thursday, February 5: 4 miles easy on the treadmill (8:30). All the double workouts from the past couple days had my body feeling a little bit like I had been hit by a truck…

Friday, February 6: …so of course I needed to add insult to injury and go to barre class at 6am. Because Saturday was a travel day and I was moving my long run to Sunday, I switched my cross train day to Friday. I expected this class to be awful, but it was actually fun and a great way to wake up.

You know what else was fun and great? Coming home to a package on my doorstep containing these:

uashoes

MORE VIOLENTLY PINK SHOES! These are my new Under Armour Speedform Gemini and I still have no idea who sent them to me or why. I do know that they fit perfectly and feel fantastic on my feet. I had already packed two pairs of running shoes in my carry on, but would end up wearing the Gemini for most of the weekend – including breaking them in on my long run – and am considering them for New Jersey.

Saturday, February 7: Rest day if you can call it that. I wear a fitness tracker and logged nearly 20K steps on Saturday between running around airports and then running around Disney World. Most fun rest day of all time.

Sunday, February 8: Long run. The 14 miler that I have been looking forward to for months and it did not disappoint.

photo (1)When I started out the temperature was a glorious 55 degrees and ended up around 70 by the time I finished. Although I was basically running loops around the resort that were a little more than a mile apiece there was so much to look at that I never got bored. Up there you can see a couple of the friends I made along the way!

After I finished up, I took a quick dip in the pool with Betty and then we headed off to Epcot where much more walking ensued. I think I ended up with something like 45K steps for that day.

Week 7 Total Mileage: 29

I’m not going to lie…I ate like a total garbage truck while on vacation so now that I’m home I’m working on reigning it all back in. Despite that and some sore legs, week 7 rocked! Especially in the cross training department. I’m totally asking for a ClassPass renewal for my birthday.

Do you train while on vacation? How do you stay motivated to keep up with your workouts?

Sarah wrote a great post about this the other day that you can check out here!

Also today I have a WINNER for the race entries into THE COLOR RUN! Congratulations to:

RACHEL LYNN BROWNING!!!

YAY RACHEL!! YOU WON!!!! (It was your Twitter follow that made it happen!) I will be sending you an email shortly to collect all your details and get your comped entries ordered up.

Major thanks to all of you who entered and if you still want to register for The Color Run for a discount, you can do so by dropping in the code MLC583990 at check out for $5 off. if you are running in Baltimore (WITH ME!) you can use the code Baltimore2!

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! (Hooray for short weeks at work!)

55 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 7 Recap

Megabarre sounds so scary! I hope to try a couple more new classes over the next 2 weeks, I just wish there were more studios near me. If you can’t already tell I don’t like to leave my little Federal Hill bubble:)
    I bet it felt amazing to do your long run in Florida in that weather!

The Barre studio is a little bit of a hike for me too, but I can justify it because it’s pretty much on my way to work. And yes it was MARVELOUS. I miss that weather so much right now! (And will be missing it even more tomorrow morning. Ugh.)

What an amazing week! Class pass sounds like it’s been good to you. I suck at training while on vacation. I can usually find the motivation to do a couple of short runs, but other than that, not so much.

I’m beginning to think that signing up for long-term would be well worth the money. It has definitely paid for itself over the past couple weeks! I’m pretty surprised that I stayed as motivated to run on vacation as I did. With all the walking we were doing on top of it I really did want to sleep in haha.

3. Run Colby Run says:

I have LOVED your princess (and Yoga!) pics. I’m kinda bummed your home. Betty is so stinking cute. She must have been TO THE MOON EXCITED! I just saw a Pole Class Groupon in my area and was tempted to try it. It was that crazy? Do I need to bring clear heels? Talk to me friend…. xoxoxo

Haha you are definitely not more bummed than me. It was the saddest departure ever. I figured that Betty would love the trip, but it was so much more awesome than I ever imagined. I need to do a whole separate post just for princess pics!

We didn’t wear shoes at all for the class; it was much more about gymnastics than anything else. SUPER hard, but definitely worth a try if you have the opportunity!

Megabarre sounds like the name of a new decepticon in the next Transformers movie (yes – I’m sure there will be a new Transformers movie at some point). I don’t vacation much, but when I do, I completely fall off the wagon. Last summer I ran once while on vacation. I had to share a bed with Charlotte, and we were not getting enough sleep. I think next time, I’m going to try and find a yoga studio or something to drop in to as well.

That thing might as well have been a Decepticon! It definitely looked like it could have turned into a robot. One thing I’m SO glad we did: next time you vacation with her, get a roll away bed. It was the best decision ever. Everyone had their own bed and slept great the whole time! I don’t think I would have been anywhere near as motivated if I had had to share. 🙂

5. ambertherunner says:

So glad you got such an awesome long run in! The weather alone sounded fantastic. Makes me hate the thought of a long run in tomorrow’s predicted weather -_-
    Love your pink shoes. Seriously- lucky enough for 2 pairs? Also crazy random that you don’t know who sent you the UA ones…
    One of my friends did a pole fitness class in NYC recently, and she said the same thing- her arms were unbelievably sore. & she had bruises all over her legs. Ouch.
    Also, that’s amazing how many steps you got in on vaca 🙂

I am already dreading tomorrow morning. The temperature is supposed to be lower than the amount of miles I’m running. That’s just not right. 😦
      Maybe one day I will figure out who sent me those shoes!
      I need to go back and add up the total number of steps over the whole trip. I bet it’s something insane! Pole is no joke. I can definitely see how your friend would be all bruised up. The more I talk about it the more I want to go back next Tuesday even though I made a total fool of myself. 🙂

6. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

Yay for an A++++ week! I’m still so curious about those awesome pink mystery shoes. Who sent them to you? How did they get your address and shoe size? If they were a promo of some sort, wouldn’t the sender want you to know who they were from so you could thank them? And, lastly, why don’t I randomly receive free pink shoes? 😉

Hooray for a great week! That long run sounds like so much fun. And that pole class sounds like somewhere I might embarrass myself the entire time. Ugh! I love that you try all these classes out though. I am actually considering my first spin class tomorrow….I know, real adventurous!

Anything new is an adventure! I hope you love it and I want to hear all about your experience. Spin is such a great workout! I think the pole class would have gone better had I not been the only new person haha. It was just me making a fool of myself all by myself. 🙂

All the pink shoes! I love meg-reformers. They are so much fun, and Classpass is such a great way to try out different places. I was traveling this week, and normally we don’t have trouble working out while out of town, but this time was a bit more difficult. Luckily, I still got the runs that needed to happen in, still got the runs that I needed to, but not as much cross training. Oh well!

I went from zero too ALL the pink shoes in the matter of a few days.
      My cross train of choice while we were away was walking and carrying around a 35 pound kid. Probably one of the most exhausting workouts ever!

I have a hard time training on vacation, but let’s face it I never take vacation so I guess that’s a win for my workouts 🙂 I wish some random person would send running shoes to my door someday, you’ve clearly hit the big time 😉 I can NOT wait for your pole class recap, I can only imagine 🙂 Have a great weekend!

10. Amy says:

Disney sounds like such fun! I’m pretty hit or miss when running on vacation. The last couple trips I’ve taken, I’ve planned routes ahead of time, and done guided running tours, and that worked out really well. The running tours were so much fun; better than a normal tour in my opinion.

I was a little worried because I knew I would be doing many, many laps around the resort and I thought I might get bored. But you just can’t beat that weather! I took tons of pictures while I was out too of all these giant cartoon characters. So much fun.
      I’ve never done a guided running tour…that sounds awesome!

• Amy says:

The guided running tours were totally awesome. You should check them out if you’re ever visiting a new city. The ones we did were put on by City Running Tours. One was in Chicago and the other DC. They were very different but both very fun.

11. fitfoodiemama says:

I think that is awesome that you got shoes and you have no idea where from or why! They are really pretty too! Looks like an awesome week of training and I just have to say I am super jealous of your weather….we have 3 feet of snow right now 😦

OH NO!!! I have been thinking about all you guys that are buried right now. We need a big warm up and a fast melt for you. We don’t have snow here, but it’s definitely frigid. I miss Florida. 😦

12. Sass N' Dash says:

Wow! You kicked some serious booty this week! I’m thinking about starting to track my workouts and do a weekly report like this, seems like a great way to stay accountable.

I tried a mega-former class this week too!!! YAY!

Wow, you did so much I can’t even keep track of it all! Best of all, I’m glad you had a great long run! It must’ve been so wonderful to run down in FL.

I actually have used one of those mega-formers for a class before. It wasn’t called Barre though (they called it SLT – Strengthen, Lengthen, Tone) so I had no idea I’d actually done a barre-type class without even realizing. I remember it being really challenging and I only tried it once because the cost is absolutely ridiculous…in addition, it’s not in the most convenient location for me. So no more of that for me. I’ll stick to the yoga please!

I think the “barre” part was a little misleading because there was no actual barre involved, but some of the exercises were similar to what we would have done on the barre. Why are they so expensive!? It’s weird!

You did have an A+++ week! You did so great with cross training and getting in a really good long run! I’ve never been on vacation while training for something specific, so I can’t really speak to that, but you my friend, are so awesome for staying on top of everything! 🙂

15. FLRunnerBoy says:

Ummmm you better have had awesome run after they were Florida infused lol 🙂 and holy pink power batgirl I love the shoes … I’d wear them if they came in men’s sizes lol. Nice mileage jump last week Salt!

Haha I was never much for pink, but now I’m thinking it’s one of my favorite colors!
      I didn’t even realize how big the mileage jump was until I wrote this post. Starting to pile them on now! 🙂

16. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Awesome week! Hey, eating healthy while on vacation is super tough- at least you got your 14-miler in!! and I’m really excited to hear about the pole class. 😉 Megabarre must be a great workout! I’m still struggling through regular barre workouts, so I can’t imagine how tough it must have been!

17. Judith / soveryslightlymad says:

I love running on vacation. It’s such a great way to get to see a new place. Or this week, to get to run outdoors since I got out of the snow and down south for the week. My favorite vacation run was in Ireland when I ran up some goat hill and found a medieval castle ruins unexpectedly at the top. Such a magical moment.

18. Kerrie says:

They look a little like torture devices them Pilates things! Hope you enjoyed your vacation! Saw them pics of Disney land on Instagram, 🙂 looked like your little one loved it! 🙂

19. evolvewithmary says:

That MEGAbarre class look like fun, I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in town, I’ve never heard of it before. I usually fall off the wagon big time when I’m on vacation and i’ll be put to the test sooner rather than later since I’ll be in Miami for 10 days and I’m training for a Spartan race and Tough Mudder. I hope I’m able to stay on track…fingers crossed 🙂

Oh you LUCKY. I hope you have a wonderful vacation in Miami! I think you’ll do great. The warm weather can be such a great motivator to stay active in the winter time! Good luck with your training!

Ohhhh nothing to be jealous of with Baltimore weather. This morning it was 1 degree and that’s not including the wind chill. I miss Florida!

Definitely check out a barre class when you can. I bet you would love it. 🙂

20. Running Boston and Beyond says:

Am I the only one who thinks the megabarre picture looks like gurneys? I thought something had happened to you but was confused because of the A++ rating… Anyway, are the new Boosts different? I’m totally infatuated with mine and am now 99% sure they are going to be my marathon shoes, something my Asics are pretty bummed about but I don’t care. #boostlove 🙂