NJ Marathon Training Week 6 Recap

So apparently that groundhog jerk saw his shadow. I don’t know how because it’s dark and rainy on the East Coast. 6 more weeks of winter it is. #notshocked

Week 6 Grade: All things considered, I give myself an A.

This week was a step back week in mileage and I think that may have attributed to my complete lack of motivation most mornings. I got all my workouts in, but I had a serious case of the “I DON’T WANNA”s. This week I’ll be working on a makeover for my bad attitude because in just a few more sleeps I will be waking up and running in a palm tree and humidity filled paradise.

Monday, January 26: Body Pump. Nope. More like let’s watch Body Pump happen while I sadly churn out 30 minutes on the elliptical. This was necessary and in hindsight I’m glad I skipped. I wasn’t there today either, but not because I’m avoiding the squats; I’ve used my ClassPass to take a MEGAbarre class.

The only think I knew about this class beforehand is that it involves a machine that looks as if it could have been used in the medieval times to torture people. I’m happy to report that I made it out alive, but man that was a WORKOUT. Details later. 🙂

Tuesday, January 27: 3 miles. In my iPhone app training log I said it was snowing out, but I can’t remember if that was true or not. This is how much the winter ruins my brain.

Either way, I actually did 4 miles if you count the half I warmed up and cooled down. The three in the middle were 7:35 pace which is as close as I’m getting to my usual Tuesday speed work right now. Intervals are called off until further notice.

Wednesday, January 28: 6 mile pace. It didn’t snow, but it was cold enough to keep me inside. Generally if the temperature is anywhere below 20 I will be at the gym.

This run was nothing to write home about, but the hot yoga I took in the evening was. I hadn’t been to my favorite vinyasa class in awhile and it felt completely amazing AND my hamstring feels better than it has in weeks. Knock on wood.

Thursday, January 29: 3 miles. Treadmill. Again. 8:46 pace. My legs felt like lead. Overall not a good run.

Friday, January 30: Oh boy do I have a story about Friday, January 30. I made the most enormous mistake and I can only blame myself for it.

Lucille gif ugh

Friday was a rest day by the way so this is not workout related.

Betty and I were hanging out at home on Friday night. I had just finished eating my dinner and Betty was working on her third dinner because she is apparently going through a growth spurt right now that causes her to eat everything edible in the entire house.

She wanted “another snack” (so like…snack #12 of the evening) and I grabbed one of her yogurts out of the fridge. Come to think of it, I was still kind of hungry myself. So as I opened her yogurt I took two big bites of it, without reading the label and thinking nothing of it.

This is where I’m a dumbass.

For anyone that might be new to my blog, I am allergic to bananas. I joke about it a lot because bananas are always a post-race staple and I can’t have them. It’s like…SOOOO funny.

Well I have managed to avoid well enough that I haven’t had a reaction since 2006 because I am a good label reader. Why the hell I didn’t think to read the label on YOGURT which is something that (especially for children) tends to contain banana is beyond me. All I know is that shortly afterward we were enjoying the movie Tangled and my mouth started to feel really weird.

It didn’t take me long to put two and two together. I went rummaging through the trash for the yogurt container and YEP sure enough. Strawberry banana. By this point my tongue was swelling, the roof of my mouth was tingling something awful, and I started getting really nauseous. I texted my mom, who is an RN, Mr. Salt to let him know what was happening, and Helly because for some reason I knew she would make me feel better. She has quite the colorful history of random allergic reactions.

Speaking of allergic reactions, Betty had just had one to her amoxicillan the other week so we had Benadryl in the house. I took some of that and then Mr. Salt was rushing home with Zyrtec. Based on the level of reaction I’ve had in the past I figured that two bites of yogurt weren’t enough to land me in the hospital, but the level of discomfort I was feeling was definitely greater than it was the last time this happened. (Last time I was at Jamba Juice and I guess they misunderstood what I was saying when I said “absolutely do not put banana in my smoothie.”)

So before I go further into the details of my training week, I’m okay. I just need to make a doctor appointment to get one of those giant epipens. Then I might just beat myself about the head with it for being so stupid and not reading the yogurt label.

Saturday, January 31: Long run: 9 miles. Not surprisingly I was still a little woozy when I woke up. I had already planned on running at the gym because it was freezing and REALLY windy, but after the events of the previous night, the treadmill would have been the smart way to go anyway if I planned on running at all.

This run actually went well although I have no idea what my true pace was. I was using my watch to track it (it said 8:49), but the accelerometer completely kirked out during mile 6 and showed me running an almost 10 minute mile which would have been impossible based on my treadmill setting. Seeing as this cold weather is lasting indefinitely, I think I’ll probably invest in a foot pod just so my data is as accurate as possible. Luckily since this was not a pace run, it didn’t matter so much.

Later on that day I did a lot of walking around downtown with Betty in the Ergo on my back. (aka: strength training + cardio!) She must be only about a pound away from the max weight limit on that thing and I can’t stand the idea of giving it up. I would carry her to college like that if I could.

Sunday, February 1: Cross train day! It had been a looong time since I had gotten to a Bikram class and there is a local studio that I had never tried before participating in Baltimore ClassPass.

photo (6)

Aside from what seemed like an excessive amount of mirrors in the hot room, I liked this class and even more, I really like the laid-back, friendly vibe in the studio itself. It was lacking the cliquey-snobbishness that I’ve encountered in other Bikram studios. I’m excited to be excited about going again!

Also I expected to be riding the struggle bus through the whole time, but muscle memory is an amazing thing. Once I got through the warm up, I felt almost like my old self in there. Just in time for the start of the prAna #TaketheLeap 30 Day Challenge!

Week 6 Total Mileage: 22

And just like that I’m 1/3 of the way through my plan! I am kicking ass and taking names at cross training right now and as soon as I can nix that hamstring pain I hope to do the same with the miles I’m running. As far as nutrition, water intake, and cutting back on the wine is concerned, I’m still doing great in all those areas.

My goals for this week: Get outside twice at least (not counting my long run because that most definitely is happening outside…FLORIDA!). Tuesday and Wednesday morning shouldn’t be too bad around here so I have no excuses. Also get to as many classes as I can before we travel! I have 3 scheduled for the week.

Speaking of the #TaketheLeap Challenge, Today is Day 1!!

I thought I would kick off these 30 days with a pose that I consider to be one of the most beautiful: NATARAJASANA.

mermaid

One of the reasons I love Dancer Pose is because it can be done so many ways. This is the Mermaid variation and my favorite standing backbend! You would begin this pose the same way that you would regular dancer pose except rather than grasping the foot, you slide it into the crease of your arm. Extend the opposite arm up to the sky and reach back to clasp your hands into a bind. Kick your foot into the crease of your elbow to lift your leg and lean forward to counterbalance. Don’t forget to breathe!

Remember…if something hurts BACK OUT OF IT! Yoga is not supposed to be painful. Always listen to your body and only go as far as it will allow you to.

(Today’s Tags: Suz, Sue, Wendy, Olena, and Lisa!)

AND ONE MORE THING!

prAna has provided me with a special discount code to pass along to the wonderful people who read my blog. They have such beautiful things on their site and I encourage you to go check them out! If you do a little shopping, enter code psps15RSR at checkout for 15% off!

How is your training going? Have you done Bikram yoga? Do you like it? Have you ever had an accidental allergic reaction?

I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend!

80 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 6 Recap

1. Kristin says:

Hey Salt!! Omg, love dancer pose!! Was totally doing that yesterday during yoga!! So gorgeous! Also, great job on your workouts!! You are so mentally tough! Winter definitely poses challenges for running and working out so way to go! You rock! Have a beautiful start to your week! XOXO

It is one of my most favorites! So elegant and beautiful. 🙂
      Thanks, friend. I had some odd challenges last week, but I am ready to throw myself head-on into whatever I can this week! I hope you have a beautiful week too!

Oh no!! So sorry about the allergic reaction….I’m a nurse, you can text me any time for advice too 🙂 My boys are the same way with snacks and if you say it’s a meal…forget it, they won’t eat it. It MUST be a snack. Ok, so you tagged me, so that needs I need to take a pic of me doing…I mean attempting the pose and post on IG, right?! I”m terrible at challenges 🙂

I am most definitely going to take you up on that. It was much scarier than I remember from before. I was panicking more because I was home alone with B too and I didn’t want to freak her out too much. She was so cute when I told her I didn’t feel well…she wanted to play doctor and make me feel better.

What is it about kids and snacks!? Haha!

And yep! Post it up on Instagram and if you want you can tag a couple other people too to keep it moving along!

3. kilax says:

Oh man! That stinks about the yogurt! I am happy it wasn’t worse! 😦

And that stinks that the treadmill wasn’t telling you your true pace. WTH?!

Enjoy Florida!!!!

4. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

You are so lucky to be going to FLORIDA!!!! Enjoy those nice warm humidity runs!! 🙂 Good luck getting in an outside run this week before then. Here in PA tomorrow morning is supposed to be colder than your 20° cutoff for outdoor running but hopefully it will be better in Baltimore.

Also, very glad to hear that you’ve recovered from your banana yogurt incident!!!

I can’t wait to breathe in all that humid air! 😀 It will probably take some adjusting.
      I haven’t looked at the forecast yet today, but hopefully it won’t be too bad. Or icy thanks to this new snow we got!
      Thank you so much. I’m definitely feeling better today.

Oh no, the allergic reaction sounds so scary! I’m glad that it worked out ok in the end. Great photo of you doing dancer pose. I always find that one to be beautiful 🙂

6. Laura @ the gluten-free treadmill says:

The banana allergic reaction is scary! It definitely makes eating harder when we constantly have to be package aware! And I totally get the post-race thing, although for me it’s the bagels. They are everywhere and I usually can’t eat anything because I’m not sure where cross-contamination may have occurred. Glad you are okay?

7. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! says:

I am mildy allergic to bananas – only when raw (as in, not in a smoothie, or with milk in cereal, etc but if I eat one that’s alone my mouth starts to itch like crazy but NOTHING like this!

I’m so glad you had something to help you and that you didn’t eat an entire container of yogurt. I’m glad you’re ok!!!!

The Dancer pose was always my favorite in dance class, AND became a favorite pose doing yoga. Mike was pretty impressed by it – I failed to tell him that I did it for years as a kid (just wanted to keep him impressed with me). I don’t know that I could do it the way you have here but I LOVE seeing your yoga photos – keep them coming!!! ox

I’m so glad I didn’t eat more of it too. I’m still so ticked off at myself for not reading the label.
      I’m totally going to be tagging you tomorrow so keep an eye out for that. You must yogue with me. ❤

Oh I can’t wait to hear more about megabarre! Was that at Quarry Lake? I am thinking about going to the regular barre class there on Friday morning. I did PureBarre yesterday and I’m feeling it in my glutes and hips today. That’s pretty scary about the banana! Glad you’re ok!

9. FLRunnerBoy says:

Bahahaha … groundhog jerk! lol no worries Salt! You comin’ to Florida chica! 😉 nice week again missy my training is no not 100% right now 😥 I’m still working on this wonky leg grrrrr

I should have known it was coming. It is way too cold and gross here for me to even begin dreaming of it ending anytime soon.
      Your leg needs to get with the program! Don’t these body parts know that we have no time to waste??

I am so glad you are OK! How scary is that?! You are seriously making me want to do yoga right now. Thanks for the inspiration and great work sticking with the running in this weather!

Yes! Get thee to a class! I wish I could go with you. 🙂
      Haha I wouldn’t really call it running in this weather…more like braving the outside for 5 minutes to run on the treadmill. Much better than nothing though!

I dislike strawberry banana flavored things. In fact the only banana things I like are frozen bananas and banana chips. Random question: are you also allergic to plantains? I had a weird rash on my stomach yesterday, but helpful doctor Alex just gave the me the ‘contact dermatitis” diagnosis. No $hit $herlock 😀
    So all the pictures of Betty hugging the Chick-fil-a cow makes me so happy every time. Yet another sign that Betty and I are meant to be everlasting friends.
    I managed to take a picture of me doing a rather unwarmed up dancer’s in the gym. Shambolic as always, but epic as always. Happy Monday!

I do not know if I am allergic to plantains, but I have never tried them because I figured they were close enough that I probably would be. I’ll tell you what Betty is not allergic to…that cow. He’s like her favorite thing ever.

Thank you for taking the challenge with me today! You look beautiful in your photo!!

12. afastpacedlife says:

I’m glad that your allergic reaction wasn’t any worse. It’s easy to feel foolish about a little slip up like that, but at least it was a little slip up. It’ll keep you more vigilant in the future and prevent a bigger, and more dangerous, slip up.

Beautiful yoga pose. Love it.

Have fun and good luck in Florida. I wish our Florida travels had sync’ed up.

Me too. I’m such an idiot. Lesson learned and I definitely need to get myself an epipen.
      I wish our Florida travels had sync’ed up too. Maybe we can sync something up in April when I come your way!

13. Shawna says:

ahhhh that’s awful about being allergic to bananas! my life would be so much different. so glad it wasn’t a more serious reaction and that you’re okay. love that dancer pose…my hips can only dream of doing something like that. i neeeeed to do yoga.

14. rundoodlerun says:

Yikes! That allergic reaction seems so scary, especially with such a small amount of yogurt. I used to work with kids, some of whom had some serious allergies, and it’s amazing how much damage just a smidgen can do.

And YAY for Florida!! I’m heading there next week and CANNOT WAIT to feel sun and warmth again! I’ve already promised I won’t complain even a little about running in the humidity 🙂 This 20 degree nonsense is for the birds…

That’s how my nephew is with peanuts. He can like…breathe near one and has a reaction. So scary.

I hope you have the most wonderful trip! My mother was telling me how it’s going to be 40’s at night and I’m like…hell yeah heat wave!

I completely relate to feeling less motivated during lower intensity training weeks. I’m not sure what it is but glad to hear I’m not the only one that has this problem!

Wow, that yoga pose looks super difficult to someone like me with like zero flexibility! I tried Bikram yoga once a few years ago. I liked it but was super distracted by a few guys behind me that were mega hungover and eventually passed out halfway through class. Lesson learned: Don’t go to Bikram early on a Sunday morning 🙂

OMG I can’t even imagine doing hot yoga hung over. What the heck were those guys thinking? I feel kind of bad for laughing at that.

Thank you for making me feel less crazy…I thought it should have been the other way around. Oh well. This week is higher mileage again and hopefully I can find my motivation.

Oh no! Sorry about the Banana Debacle. I’m lucky that I’m not allergic to anything, but I’d be pretty scared if that happened to me home alone with Char. That pose is amazing. I think I’ve been able to grab my foot – I dont think it looks quite as graceful as you do – but I’m pretty sure I’ve done it (or at least grasped at my foot before toppling over – same thing.)

Tonight Betty’s doll (Baby Chloe) was sick because she ate bananas like mommy. She will probably never forget this.
      Thank you! Dancer pose is just so pretty no matter how you do it. 🙂

17. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Ooph, that sucks about the allergic reaction! I’m glad you’re ok! I’m lucky not to have any allergies. Enjoy your Florida runs (we are getting about another foot of snow where I am so I’m pretty jealous even though I was just there)! 🙂

No more allergic reactions for you and your family, do you hear me? Sheesh! I STILL haven’t been back to yoga. I’m really good at making excuses. I’ll get there eventually.

We are a hot mess over here let me tell you. At least there was benadryl in the house!
      You have been taking a million and one classes lately! I think you have the best excuse!

19. prettylittlerunner says:

Another great week girl! We have to plan a race together soon… Let’s do something fun and fabulous! I would love to do the Dopey with you next year, I just don’t know if this body has it in it…

20. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

You had a great week, despite the weather (and the allergic reaction–geez!!) I am so glad you are okay, but that is scary! I love bikram but I rarely have a chance to go anymore since the class schedules around me don’t cater to the 5:30 am start times I need in order to work out and get to my office on time. Maybe someday I will work close to home and have regular hours…one can dream right?? 🙂 Have a great week my friend!

Thank you! ❤ Yeah Bikram schedules aren't real convenient for me most of the time, but this class worked out great! If I weren't going to be in Florida this weekend I would be there again.

I hope you have a wonderful week too and that you're staying warm and safe up there. That weather is too much!

21. Lauren says:

Glad you’re okay! I’m allergic to sulfa drugs and it took for me to break out in hivey itchy red welts all over my torso the second time to be like hey I’m for realsss allergic to this medicine so don’t prescribe it to me. It’s just uncomfortable and not pleasant to look at and not super serious thank goodness.

That’s the same reaction I have to penicillin. Super gross looking more than anything else. I don’t get hivey with banana…I just swell. VERY unpleasant for sure!

Thank you so much! I’m glad too. I’ve been extra sensitive to banana smells since Friday and I’m about to throw out the overripe bananas that Mr. Salt is saving for banana bread in the kitchen. I can’t take it.

22. Single-Tracked Mind says:

OMG you poor thing! That is terrible that the damn yogurt poisoned you! I don’t know of any food allergies, but I have the most sensitive skin EVER and am constantly getting weird rashes/reacting to ingredients like salicylic acid. I love bikram but I love hot vinyasa even more because they mix things up!

I was poisoned by my own stupidity. 🙂 I wish allergies didn’t have to exist for any of us!
      I love hot vinyasa for the same reason. Sometimes I love the flow and change of it. I do love how I can see myself becoming stronger and better at the Bikram poses over time though!

I’m lucky enough to not have a crazy allergy but I have witnessed others have an allergic reaction before and it’s rather scary. I’m so glad you’re ok!
    Congrats on another super week! I’ve actually never tried a bikram yoga class before. The only kind of done is vinyasa actually and I loved it so much I haven’t jumped around to other kinds. Maybe one day!

Thanks! I’m totally fine now and wiser for it. No more eating Betty’s yogurt for me.
      You should definitely try it out. MUCH different from vinyasa (and hotter), but very challenging!

24. Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! says:

OMG I’m sorry about the banana reaction!!! I hope you get your Epipen soon, and good luck with the label reading. We have Epipens and Auvi-Qs for my son, and we reallllly like the Auvi-Q so be sure to ask about it. It takes 5 seconds instead of 10 and it TALKS TO YOU. Cannot screw it up since it’s telling you what to do.

I’ve never heard of the Auvi-Q before, but I’ll bring it up. It would be nice for something to talk me through some instructions while I’m panicking. I just really should have something on hand in case this ever happens again (although I’ll be better at reading labels from here on out obviously.)

• Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! says:

It’s a newer Epinephrine device but becoming more common. It’s short and rectangular so i find it easier to hold in my hand when i need to stick it in a wiggly toddler’s thigh, which might not be a problem for you! I got a coupon from our allergist for $0 copay for the year, so it didn’t even cost us anything.

25. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

Oh no! I hope you don’t have a run in with another banana again! That must have been scary.
    I have been loving your yoga pictures. While I’ve only done yoga a couple of times and wasn’t crazy about it, your pictures make me want to do it more. The poses look so beautiful!

Hahaha get to that studio STAT!! 🙂
      I was all ready to have a nice Friday night with my girl and that banana jerk had to ruin the whole evening. Stupid yogurt. (And stupid me for not paying attention!) Thank you. 🙂

Whoa. My eyes went straight to that pose. I’m just in awe! My yoga sesh does not look like that. 🙂

I’m so glad you’re okay and are getting an epi pen! Allergic reactions are scary! So as you know, one of the things I don’t like is guacamole and it’s both the taste and the fact that unless it’s mixed with a ton of other stuff, the avocado makes my mouth itch, but it’s not like super untolerable, so I’m wondering if there’s a thing as semi- allergic haha because it’s so weird! Other than that I’m allergic to a couple medications that broke me out into hives. I was younger though and according to my parents was almost completely oblivious to the situation as they were in full panic mode. Kids will be kids:)

Thank you! Keep going to yoga!!! I smiled so much when I read on your blog that you had been loving it!
      Itchy mouth is a definite sign of allergy! I’m glad it’s only mild for you. I have a penicillin allergy, but when I found out about it I had no idea I was even having a reaction. I was just covered in these horrifying hives and my coworker was like uhhhh you might want to go look in the mirror. Oops.

lmao @ that groundhog jerk. You crack me up! Love that dancers pose. I just took yoga sculpt tonight – so if I come there for Aerial then you come here and we’ll hit up Core Power. Deal? Deal! 🙂 glad you’e ok after the banana mix up. I’m allergic to oranges so hate seeing them on a race course or after. Boo!

28. seetinarun says:

UGH! On the allergic reaction. But there’s a silver lining -if you need to carry an epipen, now you’ll have one. I know exactly how you feel – I dug into some Trader Joe’s cookie butter a few years back without reading the label just before my kids got off the school bus. By the time they had taken their coats off, my mouth was tingling and itching and I finally decided to read the label – BINGO -soy flour (I’m allergic to soy). It’s a horrible feeling worrying about whether your reaction is going to explode while trying to act like everything is fine so you don’t scare your kids. Yuck. Glad you’re getting the epipen. I had a crazy reaction in November when I had in fact read the labels on everything I ate (Colby can vouch!). Beautiful pose, BTW! I’m still working on touching my toes. 🙂

29. Courtney @ Eat Pray Run, DC says:

i’m ALSO allergic to bananas – glad to know a fellow runner is too – it’s such a staple for runners and i’m like “nope. no thank you. no. NO. damnit do you want me to die?!” lol. glad you are okay, friend! are you counting down the seconds to your trip???