Baby, it’s cold outside. {The Friday Five}

That song is creepy.

Anyway, WELCOME BACK, FRIDAY! I would say I have missed you, but this week went by way fast. I can’t believe it’s almost February already. I better get started on preschool Valentines!

DC_linkup

I laughed a little bit when I saw the topic that Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney have for us this week:

Favorite indoor workouts.

My Cliff’s Notes answer to this question:

ALL OF THEM.

58619479

So this is more of a list of 5 of my favorite workouts in general. Some of these might happen outside sometimes, but just not right now.

Because January. I hate you, cold weather.

1. Hot Yoga

It has happened outside once or twice, always at some point between June and August. Hot yoga of any kind is definitely one of my favorite ways to work out especially during the winter months for obvious reasons. I went to a class on Wednesday and walking into the studio was like a huge sigh of relief.

IMG_9266

I’m pretending I’m there right now.

I always prefer my classes hot to not. The heated room allows my muscles to warm up so much faster and stretch so much farther. It’s excellent for flexibility. My favorites are hot vinyasa classes which are typically heated to around 90 degrees and Bikram which is 105.

2. Barre

Here’s something that only happens inside. (To me anyway…I think I recall Courtney saying something about an outdoor barre class once or I’m going crazy.)

I’ve only gone to barre class about as many times as I can count on both hands – mostly because it’s preposterously expensive – but I have never been disappointed by the workout I get while I’m there. I will never forget my first class when I thought it looked like a piece of cake and then I couldn’t walk down the stairs correctly the next day.

3. Body Pump

Also strictly an inside thing, Body Pump has quickly become a cross train of choice. Up until I started going to class back in August I hadn’t done much with actual weights and relied heavily on body weight for strength training. I love it because I can actually SEE how much stronger I’m getting in the form of the plates that I’ve been able to add on to my bar.

photo

My usual warm up weight.

One other odd thing that I’ve noticed since I started taking Pump: my chair poses at yoga class are pretty much perfect now. That was an area I’ve struggled in for years. I’m guessing it’s all the squats.

SO many squats.

4. Aerial Yoga

Let me begin by saying that if you ever have the option to attend an aerial yoga class, do not ask questions…just sign the waiver (because they will make you do that first) and jump right in. It is arguably the most consistently enjoyable class I’ve ever taken. How can you NOT have a good time when you get to suspend yourself upside down from the ceiling in trapeze fabric?

smaller_gazelle

I’m a gazelle. No really, that’s what this is called.

All fun tricks aside, aerial is an incredible workout. The support of the fabric allows you to bend and stretch farther than you might normally be able to. It’s a great upper body workout as well.

5. Don’t Judge Me…

ihearttreadmill

I love it. I really do. I know I’m not the only one either (Sue).

It’s freaking freezing outside. More power to all of you who like to freeze your eyelashes in sub-zero temps, but given the choice between that and wearing shorts in my comfortably heated gym while watching TV, I’ll let you guess which direction I’m going. Those 12 miles I ran last weekend in the ice and slush were out of pure desperation for wanting to get my long run out of the way. If my gym had opened on time I probably would have been there instead.

In hindsight I am glad I got that long run in outside though because I have already been on the treadmill all week and looking forward to the 6am temp tomorrow morning (12 degrees/-5 windchill/15MPH winds) I’m pretty sure that’s where I’ll be for my 9 miler too.

I cannot wait to run in Florida next weekend!!!!

Are you a chicken like me when it comes to running in the cold? Have you ever tried aerial yoga? Barre? Body Pump? Do you find that song as creepy as I do?

I hope you all have the best weekend ever and STAY WARM!

99 thoughts on “Baby, it’s cold outside. {The Friday Five}

I have never done body pump and I am very much afraid that at the strength that I am currently at (which is that of a lemming) I wouldn’t make it! My goal after this marathon is to get my arms and back back. They used to be so prettayyy.
    And damn, you are a gazelle!

It’s crazy how fast I built up taking that class too. My arms were toned before, but like scrawny toned. Now I have actual muscles and get asked to move heavy things at work. 🙂

2. ambertherunner says:

I cannot fathom hot yoga. That being said, I still think I should try it when I have the opportunity 🙂 & I’ve heard so much goodness about barre! I need to try that too. But I don’t like paying to work out aside from my gym membership. Hence my lack of trying new things.
    I have such a love/hate thing with the treadmill. I’d much rather rock shorts & a tank instead of bundling up to go slip around on some ice & risk injury. But I find I never push myself as hard as I think I can when it comes to speed work. & my long runs are usually effortlessly quicker outside. Le sigh.

It is GLORIOUS in that hot room in the middle of winter. I almost didn’t even want to take off my coat the other day!
      I highly recommend barre. It’s the kind of workout that really sneaks up on you. Like I’m doing this tiny leg movement and oh it’s so easy and then all of a sudden I can’t even lift my leg another inch.

I generally run faster outside too. I do like that I can force myself to slow down on the treadmill though. Usually when I go out to run long I have every intention of taking it slow and then that all goes out the window.

Lmao “that song is creepy”. You are correct about outdoor Barre. I went with Courtney to a free class in Georgetown along the Potomac. It was followed by cocktails 😉 and I love love body pump. My absolute fav! ! Dying to try aerial yoga.

ME. TOO. I was just saying over on your blog that if my memory serves, this year is a lot more icy/snowy than last year yes? I’ve been spending a lot more time on the treadmill too and really enjoying it actually. Hot yoga is a DEFINITE necessity in this weather!

4. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

You know I love Body pump and I love aerial yoga, although the schedule doesn’t work for me, but it was one of the most fun workouts ever, I love being inverted! I just did my first at home Barre workout and it was good, probably no where near as good as going to a class but again, my schedule kind of stinks and doesn’t work for those classes! And I’m with you, I have a love affair with my treadmill at the gym! Better to be safe (and warm) than sorry! 🙂

Happy Friday lady!

Which did you use for your at home barre workout? I am in the process of setting up a workout area of my home for when I can’t get to a class (Mike’s schedule is so weird and changes at the last minute all the time) and I really need some good videos to do!
      TOTALLY agree with your stance on the treadmill. I would be dreading a long run in sub-zero temps tomorrow. Treadmill makes it all okay!

Happy Friday to YOU. I hope your weekend is brilliant!

5. afastpacedlife says:

I love aerial yoga. I love aerial anything. If you have the opportunity to take a silks class, please do. So much fun.

Squats definitely help with the chair pose. Pre-squat I could barely get into the pose, much less hold it. Post-squats I can go deeper than anyone else on class (not that it’s a competition) and hold it like a boss.

I know exactly where I could take a silks class! We have a place that does trapeze and stuff like that not far from my house. I definitely want to try it!

I was so pleasantly surprised with my chairs the other night. It’s about time I learned how to do it properly!

6. laurenwayjurlee says:

I haven’t tried any of those classes. We have Body Pump at my gym, but the classes never to seem to line up with my availability (unless I want to go at 6am, and lets be honest…that ain’t happening.)

I’m a total chicken when it comes to running in the cold. I will do the treadmill any day! Obviously road running is ideal, but I am a total wuss in bad weather. There is a very small temperature window in which I actually enjoy running outside. I’m a fair weather runner!

Haha 6am Monday is when I always go to Pump. It’s the only one I can ever make it to! At first it was horrible, but now I’m very used to waking up that early. (I never thought I would be.) I’m so glad to know I’m not the only cold/bad weather wuss!

7. Elizabeth says:

I always tell myself that I will run outside when it gets cold, and then I don’t. I hate hate hate the cold! So treadmill it is, even though it bores me!

I need to take a barre class, I never have and I keep hearing wonderful things about them!

8. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Lol my boyfriend pointed out how creepy that song is to me, and now I can’t listen to it without being weirded out! I totally understand your treadmill love, if I had a treadmill I wouldn’t be freezing my butt off outside either! Oh well. 🙂 can’t wait for spring. And the 3 feet of snow to be gone.

It would be so nice if my gym would always open on time though. Definitely has thrown a wrench into some of my treadmill plans! I still can’t believe all that snow you guys got. Insane.

9. Running 'N' Reading says:

It’s official…I’m going to have to go to a Body Pump class! My gym has them (I didn’t even know until last night) and I’ve heard so many of you running friends talk about it; thank you for mentioning how much you’ve gotten from the class! To be honest, I feel a little intimidated by it, but the instructor in my spinning class last night said that it’s really easy to get set up and going. Like you, I would love to go to barre more often but the studios around here are ridiculously priced and I can’t do everything! Thanks so much for a great post; hope you have a wonderful weekend!

It has really made such a big difference for me and I think it has helped a lot with my running too! I wish barre was less expensive to take. I love it so much and will be taking full advantage of going to all the classes while I have a ClassPass!

10. Jennifer @ Running on Lentils says:

I’m a outside winter runner lover. 🙂 It’s running in the heat and humidity in summer that I hate! I would love love love love to take an aerial yoga class. They don’t offer any around me (at least, that I’m aware of), but it’s definitely on my bucket list.

You are CRAZY!! Haha I don’t love the humidity either, but I run so early in the morning that it doesn’t affect me as much. I wish it could just be like spring all the time.

That photo from aerial yoga looks so cool! I can’t wait to try it out next month. Though I’m sure I won’t look anything like that to begin with 🙂 But it’s something to work toward. And I have to admit that I love the convenience of the treadmill. Let’s face it, the Winters are cold and the Summers are hot around here so there aren’t that many perfect running days.

12. FLRunnerBoy says:

I gotta try barr and body pump I hear some much about them and how they are killer workouts plus all the cool kids are doing it lol 😛 annnnnnd Florida awaits your presence Salt! 😉

13. Run Colby Run says:

I’m currently obsessing over Body Pump and Hot Yoga. Like. To the MAX! And I’m with you on the squats. Christ. I am loving yoga. Just loving it. And I think it’s starting to like me too. I’m feeling much more “open” while running. No joke. My hips are so freaking tight. {sigh}
    Barre is so damn expensive here too. I haven’t given that one a whirl. And aerial yoga just looks like a damn dream come true for me. You lost me on the Dreadmill, Friend. I’ll take the frozen eyelashes. 🙂 xoxoxo

Aerial is a weightless, wonderful dream come true! You must try it!
      Haha I am actually seeing more support for the ol’ mill today than I expected to! I figured most people would hate it. 🙂

I’m a total chicken when it comes to running in the cold. Especially when there could be ice. And you know I’m a pumper – so glad I switched to Mondays! Our gym does offer Baltimore Barre classes for an extra fee, but they are only offered at times when people with jobs can’t go…so there’s that. I am interested in trying Barre, but I feel like my plate is already full. I’ll probably see you tomorrow morning on the treadmill!

I have taken the one on Wednesday evenings. There were only three of us in there and the instructor was really hyperactive. It was a pretty good class though. (Do they even have it anymore?) I can hear the wind whipping around outside now. So NOT running out there in the morning. See you at the treadmills. 🙂

15. alsoranagain says:

I’ve become a wimp lately about running in the cold. I would much rather run in dry, warm weather–e.g., running last spring in Palm Desert was perfect!

Aerial yoga looks amazing. I’m going to have to see whether there are classes around here.

I love hot yoga too! Not such a big fan of Bikram but hot Vinyasa is my fave. That aerial yoga looks incredible. My first thought was “Only Lauren would be able to do that!” And I’m with you. I don’t prefer the treadmill but I don’t mind making do with it. Not a big deal.

Obviously I would rather run outside if possible but in my opinion treadmill > -4 degrees with wind. 🙂 Hot vinyasa is magical. I felt so much better after my class the other night!

17. scs6p18 says:

I can’t lie… I was totally a hardcore treadmill hater for the longest time and now I love it. I hate cold weather running (hence the reason my first marathon will be this fall, ha) and I love coming in before work and getting a long run in while catching up on the news…or food network.

I am so pleased to see all these other treadmill lovers today! Aerial is great for core and upper body. I need to get back in there soon. I’d very challenging but SO much fun.

18. Jenny @ TurtleStride says:

Having moved from the city of endless summers to the mountains, I forgot how much I despise running in the winter! Thankfully, we have plenty of sunshinny days but the snow and slick sidewalks have kept me indoors. I am a huge fan of Body Pump! It’s challenging but I noticed a difference after a few classes!

We have had way more snow this year than we did last year (or it feels like it anyway) so I’ve been spending a lot more time indoors than I like. I just hope we all thaw out soon!
      I noticed quick results from Pump too! It’s such a great class.

I also like the treadmill. I wouldn’t say I LOVE it, but I prefer it to freezing my buns off and constantly worrying about slipping on ice. I’m also not a running in the dark person, and right now I leave my house before the sun is up and I’m not home until after dark, so treadmill it is. And you know that I now am also a huge Body Pump fan. I’m actually very seriously considering getting certified to teach in June, because a friend of mine is doing it at the same time. Woo!

Yes to all of that. I do love running in the early mornings, but it’s much more challenging when I have ice to deal with (my eyesight is terrible as it is). That’s so cool that you are thinking of getting certified! I would love to take your class!

20. Lauren says:

I’ve gotten used to the cold. It still sucks, but I’ll do it. I feel like a huge elephant in barre since I’m not very dancer-y, haha. I’m trying it again thanks to ClassPass but I’ll definitely not be front and center!

21. itsmejenlovett says:

The treadmill has been my savior. I embrace it as a friend that helps get me through the winter without killing someone!
    Bodypump and Hot Yoga are definitely on my MUST list too! I just started Hot Yoga in November and am officially hooked!
    The weekend long runs I am finding much easier in 15 degree temps than in 90 degree temps (Baltimore Marathon on 2012). I hope that lasts! This only my 2nd marathon and first in the spring. Although it could be that there is nothing to do right now besides work out and eat clean vs summer I am eating street pretzels and drinking orange crushes and bud lights at Camden yards for months. Either way, life is good!

Where do you take your hot yoga classes?? It’s such an addiction. I have been doing a lot of unheated classes right now and it’s so much harder for me to get warmed up.
      I have this happy place right around 40-50 degrees where I am so comfortable and can deal with 30’s or even 20’s as long as it’s not windy. But teens are a big no thanks for me. I run really early in the morning so in the summer it works out okay because I’m out before the sun is up.

Orange crushes at Camden Yards sounds SO GOOD right about now!

22. bluecoyotelifecoaching says:

I love hot yoga. Seriously, there is something sublime about walking barefoot on a floor that wonderfully warm.

My barre class in a hot yoga room, too. It’s a nice incentive to pull myself out of bed early on Sunday morning.

Oh my goodness aerial yoga sounds like so much fun! Even though regular yoga is still new to me and I’ve only done it like five times, why not add suspension in there ;). I haven’t been on the treadmill in forever, but I used to run on it all the time when I first started running and didn’t mind it. I don’t get bored easily while running,which I guess is good!

It almost doesn’t even feel like a workout. Until the next day. 🙂
      I don’t really get bored on the treadmill so much as I just kind of zone out. I plan on zoning out for 9 miles tomorrow morning.

I definitely don’t mind the treadmill at all. It beats any other machine in the gym hands down and you will never hear me complain much about running on the treadmill because it’s still running!!
    Can’t wait to enter my hot yoga studio this weekend and escape the cold for a bit 🙂

Agree wholeheartedly! A run is a run is a run. And I prefer to run and be comfortable than feel like I have an elephant on my chest the whole time because the air is too cold to breathe. 🙂

I walked into the studio wearing my coat, hat and scarf and told my friend that I wanted to take the class wearing all three being that level of toastiness was beyond wonderful.

25. Phaedra @ Blisters and Black Toenails says:

I love hot yoga but I don’t go even remotely as much as I should. That aerial yoga looks interesting but I guarantee you I’d end up flat on my face I’m such a klutz. I’ve never done barre or body pump but I hear both are kick ass workouts. I gotta be honest, I’d rather chew tinfoil than run more than 5km on the treadmill. Kudos to you for loving it! 😀

I slacked off for awhile and paid the price. I was still doing a lot of yoga, but the stretch of it all is just completely different for me. I’ve never actually seen anyone fall out of the ceiling at aerial class so I think you would be safe.
      As far as loving it, I do, but even moreso I love being not-cold. 🙂

26. kiwiyogirunner says:

I’ve tried all three of those, and I love the pump classes in particular, it’s the best (only?) way I’m motivated to strength train 🙂 preschool valentines sounds like fun!! 🙂

27. Shawna says:

i really wanna try aerial yoga — that looks amazing! i’ve done Barre (i think i need to give it another try with a diff teacher, b/c it was just alright — i didn’t love it) but never Body Pump, and i neeeeed to get on the yoga train.

The right teacher makes such a huge difference. I’ve taken a barre class before where I almost walked out. Every other time I’ve loved it though! You do need to get on the yoga train!

28. Kerrie says:

Aerial yoga now that I want to try! I’ve never seen it before. At all. My town is so boring.
    I need to give body pump ago too! I used to do the body balance classes because it was the only yoga and Pilates class I could make and they were pretty good.

I’m kind of surprised we have an aerial studio here and it’s in a place where I wouldn’t expect. As soon as I heard of its existence I had to try it out. Definitely try Body Pump if you can! I’m so glad I started!

29. Christine @ We Run Disney says:

I used to love the TM but lately I’m hating it. I think part of that is I’m still working back to the speeds I was running last winter/spring so I find myself frustrated that I’m not there yet.
    And aerial yoga?! Amazing! You look incredible in that photo!

I know that feeling. When my foot was recovering in the fall, I used the treadmill more because the surface was easier for me to handle and the speed thing was very frustrating.
      Thank you so much! It’s about time I made it back to that class. It’s been a little while. There are way too many cool things happening on Wednesday nights around here.

30. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

you are not crazy – mar and i did go to an outdoor barre class this summer 🙂 i know you love your hot yoga and your treadmill. i think if i had a treadmill at home, i’d love it. but since i don’t, i kinda hate it. lol. i’m so jealous of your trip! it’s going to be amazing!

It always makes me feel better to know that I’m not losing my mind. I definitely remember wishing I was there! If I had a treadmill at home I feel like I would either be on it all the time or I’d be using it as a laundry rack. Better if I just stick to the ones at the gym.

I have got to get myself to a trapeze class. They actually have one near me! (The woman who teaches my aerial class does trapeze too.)
      I am excited about Valentines. We didn’t do them last year because Betty went to an in-home daycare. Now I’m excited for her to give a little something to all her school friends!

I am extremely jealous of your non-inclement weather! In the summertime I really only use the treadmill on Tuesdays (because I use it for speedwork…easier than trying to find a track). Hot vinyasa is my #1 favorite way to do yoga/cross train of all time!

31. Christa says:

I am a total chicken when it comes to outside winter running! I have gotten slightly better over the last year though and have gone outside running when the temperature is below 40 degrees; like I said I am a chicken. I may be an odd duck, but I don’t mind/enjoy running on the treadmill most of the time. I enjoy it so much that I did my last long run on the treadmill. I am going to try and be brave tomorrow morning and run outside though.

I have not tried aerial yoga, but have heard good things about it. I tried one Barre class and enjoyed it, but did not love the price. When I tried Barre at first I was like man is this easy and during the class my muscles started to feel the burn. Plus moving was optional the next two days after the class. Love yoga, hot or room temperature!

40-50 degrees is my happiest running weather where I always seem to feel great. It all starts going downhill as the temperature drops.
      I wish that barre didn’t have to be so darn expensive!

I was SHOCKED at how fast I got results from Pump class. And then I will add more weight and it will be awful for a bit, but then I get used to it again and feel like a beast.

32. Kristin says:

Hey Salt! I so want to try Aerial yoga!! It looks so fun!! I’ve been looking up some classes lately!! Also, power yoga (with the legendary Bryan Kest) is my fave indoor workout!! Love this post and love all your workouts! So fun! Surprisingly enough (to myself), I’ve been lovin’ running in the cold lately. I even ran in 20 something degrees this week. That’s pretty good for me. I hope you have a fantastic weekend!! You rock! XOXO

Aerial is so graceful and fun! You would absolutely love it! I remember your yoga sesh with Bryan Kest…AWESOME!! I love power yoga too. 20 degrees can be tough especially when you aren’t used to that level of cold! I walked outside to 30 this morning and it felt like springtime. 30 degrees should NEVER feel warm!! I hope YOU have a fantastic weekend! xo

33. Jennifer says:

Haha you and Sue do love the treadmill! I haven’t tried Bikram yet, but meaning to. So if you did barre outside during the summer…would make it hot barre? baha.. ok that was lame 😀

Yey!!! So happy I’m not the only one that loves it so much! 14 miles for me on it tomorrow!! That aerial yoga looks so cool!

Ha, you have the same kind of problem that people in Texas have – everyone training for a fall marathon has to do it in the blister heat of summer!
    And who loves the treadmill?????????

LOTS of people!! Haha I totally thought I would be in the minority, but it seems this Friday Five bought all the treadmill lovers out of the woodwork. I’m in good company!

36. lazgirlruns says:

Hey you’re coming to Florida? Where at? It hasn’t been that warm (for us) down here this week (40s-50s) but it’s bipolar down here so in a few days we will have another hot front and it’ll be sunny and 75!