NJ Marathon Training Week 5 Recap

Also to be known as the week I’m really glad I spent more time running outside because things aren’t looking so hot weather-wise coming up. Quite the opposite actually, especially next week. Florida cannot get here fast enough.

Week 5 Grade: A-

Monday, January 19: Body Pump. They introduced a new routine and I should have reconsidered adding extra squat weight when I had no knowledge of what was coming. That class was BRUTAL. I believe I’ve mentioned the pain in my ass on here…like actual pain in my glute area. Without having seen a professional, I’m diagnosing myself with a high hamstring strain and I think all those squats are exacerbating the issue. I

I’ve decided to forego pump class this coming week and see if it helps. Not that class will even be happening tomorrow anyway because it’s about to snow and my gym has the most ridiculous inclement weather policy on the planet. They are constantly canceling classes and opening late when it hasn’t done much more than rain.

Tuesday, January 20: Plan said 3 miles. Usually I run on the treadmill on Tuesdays, but I was feeling burnt out on it after last Sunday’s 11 miler.I ended up doing 4 outside (8:11 pace).

Wednesday, January 21: 6 miles at whatever pace I wanted which ended up being right around marathon pace. Honestly I haven’t been entirely happy with my paces this week (hence the – in my grade) and I felt like I had to work much harder for this run than I usually do. I’m hoping it’s just my body not jiving well with the winter temps plus the added stress of my hamstring.

In the evening I did an hour of yoga because by some miracle the gym didn’t cancel it despite the fact that we got some snow that day.

Thursday, January 22: Too much snow on the ground so I took this run inside. 3 miles (7:44 pace) and then hopped on the elliptical for 15 minutes.

Friday, January 23: My feet hurt. So glad for a rest day.

Saturday, January 24: 12 mile long run. Oh god where do I even begin with this. I had been watching the weather like a hawk all week because they were calling for several inches of snow overnight. I REALLY didn’t want to do another long run on the treadmill. I figured I would play it by ear and see what was going on in the morning.

My alarm went off at 5am and when I looked at my phone there was a text alert from the gym. Of COURSE they wouldn’t be opening until 7 due to inclement weather. Like seriously? I’m thisclose to writing a complaint letter. Mr. Salt works at 8. Obviously there was no way that a 12 mile long run was happening in the matter of one hour.

Unless I ran outside.

I went to the window. It didn’t appear to be so bad. I got myself dressed, headed out, and…yeah it was freaking POURING. The roads and sidewalks were covered in slush. I almost turned around and crawled right back into bed, but instead I (wo)manned up and got to running.

It was a complete mess out there. I was sliding everywhere and my shoes were full of water. I was soaked all the way through. Running on ice is an incredible workout. I used muscles that I don’t think I’ve ever used before. I finished my 12 miles smiling, 8:43 pace overall which was pretty great considering that I was practically crawling through parts of the run. It was easily the worst weather conditions I’ve ever run in. If I had driven by me in a car I would have thought I was insane.

10923275_943506578995079_4901588361682551349_n

I’m smiling, but I REALLY hope I never have to do that again.

Sunday, January 25: A cross train day to rule them all. In the morning I went to the gym…30 minutes on the Arc trainer, 15 on a bike, and then I did 2 miles on the treadmill where I alternated walking briskly at a 10% incline for 5 minutes with running at marathon pace on a 1% incline for 5 minutes. I really liked that workout and plan to do it again for a longer distance.

In the evening I had my spa retreat event complete with an abbreviated introduction to Yoga Wall class.

10943116_944388815573522_6397252202859010303_n

Looks a little intimidating, doesn’t it? I’ll do a full recap later this week (and a recap of everything else I got to experience at The Still Point Spa), but this class ended up being a wonderful and very necessary stretch session. And I got to hang upside down! Yay for head rushes!

Week 5 Total Mileage: 27

My main goal for week 6 is more stretching and taking care of my hammy. Maybe adding in some extra yoga. Hopefully stepping back from Pump class for a bit will allow that to heal. It’s a step-back week mileage-wise so I’m grateful for the extra rest. All my other body parts are feeling pretty solid though!

If you’re currently training, how was your week last week? How’s your weather? Are you being impacted by this crazy snow storm right now? What is the longest really bad weather run you’ve done? Have you ever tried Yoga Wall?

I hope everyone had a happy weekend! It definitely went by much too fast, but at least I’m ready to start the new week in a relaxed way thanks to The Still Point Spa!

77 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 5 Recap

I did the same thing this past week. I ran outside all week because I saw that the weather was going to take a turn for the worse. How annoying about your gym policy! That would drive me nuts! But way to get that 12 miler in. Good luck in the storm!

You guys are going to get it way worse than me! Be safe up there! We just have some light snow right now and this morning hasn’t been bad at all.
      I’m definitely going to ask about their policy. It’s nice that they let us know in advance, but they close for the most ridiculous reasons sometimes.

Oh that’s so great! From what I saw yesterday you guys looked like you were going to get dumped on a bit. It’s pretty much missing us as well. We’ll get a couple inches, but nothing like the northeast!

Wow I am so impressed than you ran 12 miles in that! It wasn’t as bad down here (just rain) but I ended up on the treadmill since I did a longer run on Friday and couldn’t tell if it was icy.
    Sorry about your hamstring! I had some issues there over the summer which came on after some hill running in Maine…my chiro did ART there and it went away pretty quickly. You could also try getting in there with a lax ball. I like to sit on the ball on a hard chair because I don’t think the foam roller can get in there well enough.

Honestly had the gym not been closed I would have been on the treadmill too. I’m such a wuss in bad weather. I wanted to get it done that day though and there was no way I would have been able to fit it in otherwise!

That is a great suggestion. I’m going to get in touch with Dr. Dave later on today and see if he can help. And I just so happen to have a lax ball at home! The foam roller isn’t doing much of anything (as it sounds like you experienced too). Thank you!

3. Running Boston and Beyond says:

Sorry the weather is so crappy, but looked like you kicked it’s butt! Way to go! I used to live in Iowa and I ran one morning when it was “raining” and when I finally figured out it was FREEZING rain, I was three miles from home. That was fun. Actually, it sort of was because I didn’t get hurt, but after months of it, it’s enough.
    The yoga wall sounds like a torture device and scares me.
    Was a productive week of training, built some confidence, and can’t believe my marathon is 8 weeks away. Gulp.
    Enjoy all that snow I heard you northerners are getting and BE CAREFUL!

Freezing rain is the worst. That was almost my run the other weekend! It’s like a run and ice skating all in one. 🙂

Wow you are SO CLOSE to your race! The next 8 weeks are going to fly by! I’m so glad you had a solid week.

Luckily we are just getting the outskirts of this storm and should probably only get a couple inches. I’m worried about my NYC and Boston friends!

4. wendyistakingthelongwayhome says:

Great job on that slushy run! Sometimes pushing through those tough conditions really makes me feel badass…and I think it’s good training for the unexpected!

I just got over that PIA…and I was in the midst of a heavy lifting cycle with my coach. I think it actually seemed to help. Running seemed to aggravate it. Now I’m dealing with achilles pain in the other leg. It’s always something…!

I totally agree and that’s how I talked myself into it in the first place. Mother Nature will give no craps what day I’m running a marathon. I’ll have to deal with whatever on race day.

I’m glad your buns are better, but ugh yeah you’re right. It’s ALWAYS something! I hope your achilles feels better!

Wow, so impressive you did your long run in those conditions, way to go! The snow really is putting a damper on things. I think we’ve already had 3 of our weekly track work outs cancelled because the school was closed for inclement weather.

Thanks! I would prefer to never do it again, but it worked out that day. 🙂 I don’t remember it being so bad last year with the weather (cold yes, but snow no.) Come on spring!

Aw yay! So glad you made it outside and didn’t slip all over! That’s a great pace for being such horrible weather. In NJ we get about the same weather as you so I’m bracing myself for this crazy storm we’re getting. The good thing about being injured is that it’s not getting in the way of any running for me… but still – I’d rather be running! Hope your hammy heals up nicely with some added rest! 😀

Just a little slipping that luckily didn’t result in anything broken or strained. 🙂 I’ve been thinking of my northeast friends all day! I hope it doesn’t end up being so terrible and stay safe up there!!

7. klregan says:

That sounds like a pretty miserable long run. Good job on getting out there! I also ran through some nasty weather, but mine was a snow storm, which I like a lot better than slush. Your wall yoga class looks awesome! I’ve been to a few and they are pretty fun.

Parts of it were definitely miserable, but it was also fun at times. I stopped feeling the rain after awhile too. 🙂 That’s so cool you’ve tried yoga wall! I had never heard of it until the other day and I’m so glad I got the opportunity. I’ll definitely go back for another class!

I can’t believe you toughed it out for that 12 miler. I would totally have bagged it altogether and just gone back to bed. I had a ridiculously busy week of group fitness classes and not a whole lot of running, so I’m pretty drained, and looking forward to a less nutty week.

I’m jealous of your A week–and I’m also proud of you for saying that even with hammy issues. I am not jealous of your weather though. You are so magical and supernatural with your running. LIKE YOU FLOAT.

WHOA. Wait. Is that the trick? I gotta get on that! But please be safe. PLEASE

10. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

I am sorry to hear about your hamstring, I think taking a week off from BP will be good for you (and lots of stretching and maybe an epsom bath!!) I can ‘t believe you went out in that crazy weather, you are AMAZING!! Stay warm and safe this week, its going to be nuts!

There was totally an Epsom salt bath last night and it was glorious. I’m just glad I got it done! I didn’t want to get set back and I honestly think I might have gotten an even better workout than usual having to pay so much attention to my footing! Thank you, friend! You stay safe too…I’ve been thinking about you guys up there!

11. Kristin says:

Wow Salt, you’re a rock star!! I can’t imagine running 12 MILES outside in that weather. I’m so clumsy, I probably would’ve fallen a billion times. You’re super sweet and super cool and always hittin’ your workouts like a champ!! Congrats on a great week! Go you! XOXO

12. Shawna says:

you.are.a.beast. (i started to write “rockstar” because i totally think you are that, too, but then i saw that Kristin already claimed that so i figured i needed to change up the vocabulary a bit). that 12 mile run in the pouring, icy, slippery, awful weather = pure dedication and the willpower to overcome any obstacles. you are so inspiring!

More like desperation than dedication (I REALLY didn’t want to swap days and there was no other option as far as running was concerned because of the gym!) Thank yous so much though. ❤

13. Court says:

Props to you on that bad*ss run outside. I don’t think I would have gotten through it! I am so clumsy I probably would have spent most of the run on the ground.

14. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

I’m taking a step back mileage wise this week too, hoping to give my knee time to heal up! I feel like I’m falling apart injury-wise lately. 😉 we’re supposed to get hit by the blizzard sometime today, so that should be interesting! The yoga wall does look intimidating, can’t wait to hear about your experience with it!

I was wondering where you were today! You should still come and just don’t use any weight during the leg stuff. The class was much easier this week since I knew what was coming. I’m totally kicking myself for not running outside on Sunday morning. I miss running up my hill and the longer runs on the treadmill are killing me!!! When I saw you ran outside Saturday morning, I definitely gave you mad props. I’m just so scared of falling and injuring myself that I can’t do it.

I was watching the class full of sadness from the elliptical and wishing I was in there, but I know I need that break. Stupid squats. That’s probably what I’m going to do next week because I really want the arm workout. Saturday was an injury waiting to happen, but I didn’t want to push it to Sunday. But then Sunday of course it had to be like 50 degrees. I should have waited. Oh well. At least I have a good story now. 🙂

16. Lauren says:

I was at the haven on the lake yoga class too! I thought it was you there but then I didn’t really get a chance to say hello! Way to go on the 12 miler outside-I think I’m doing my long(er) run on the dreadmill after work today.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS YOU!! I totally should have said something, but I am so awkward and didn’t want to feel like an idiot. That place was so nice!
      Good luck today on your dreadmill run. That will be me tomorrow morning.

17. bobbyjessica2319 says:

Snowed out days like that are what the gym is for.!! I would have been super annoyed if my gym was closes when I needed it most. But way to still have an awesome run.! And sounds like an overall great week 🙂

EXACTLY. And like…I have to be at work so why don’t they have to be at work? So annoying and I really think I might say something. It was good that I got outside though. I’ve definitely been relying on the treadmill much more than I like to this winter.

18. Karen @ runningfifty says:

Great job heading out for your 12 miles despite the weather! We are training for the Rhythm and Blues Half Marathon in Houston in Texas in February so we’ve covered lots of outside miles. This past weekend we headed out for our 11 miles trying to beat the snow storm but 2.5 miles out it started in earnest. It was a really slippery,snowy run but it was absolutely beautiful and we felt great having done it. Good luck with your training!

I wouldn’t have minded so much if it were snow! I really like running in the snow. It can be so pretty. (As long as you stay upright!) Thank you! Good luck with the rest of your training too!

19. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

Kudos to you for getting that long run in! I would have headed inside, I don’t know how you do it! I hope your hamstring feels better soon!
    My week last week didn’t go as planned, thanks to my recurring calf pain. I ended up missing out on quite a few miles because of it. However, I’m recharged and ready for this week!

Well I really wanted to be inside, but time was not on my side. I should have swapped workouts and ran on Sunday when it was 50 degrees haha. Live and learn. I’m sorry about your calf and I’m glad you got a little rest for it and are feeling better! Too many aches and pains for this early in the year!

I’ve been hitting the treadmill for all of my runs because of the cold weather! I’m really curious about this wall yoga you are talking about. I’ve never heard of it!

You should come up and take a class with me! It’s in Columbia so you wouldn’t have to drive all the way to Baltimore. It was a really cool way to stretch out all my achy long run muscles!

21. Kristen says:

I feel so fortunate to be down in Alabama right now. The weather is perfect… but I definitely had some tough northern NY runs… I’m sorry your run was so rough but so proud of you for sticking with it and getting it done!

I did the Nashville Zoo Run Run 5k and it was definitely a blast! If you’re ever in Nashville, check it out!

I just read your post about it!! I would love to do that race. We have a zoo run here (it’s in November so COLD) but it’s one of my favorite races ever. I would definitely run in Nashville! I’m so jealous of your Alabama temps right now. One of my dearest friends lives down there!

I love that even with pouring rain, slush, ice, you not only got your miles in, but finished up the run with a smile. That’s dedication 🙂

Stay safe with the winter storms – I hear they are pretty bad on the east coast right now!

In a weird way it was kind of fun. For some of the time anyway. Some of it was completely miserable.

Thank you so much! We are luckily getting mostly missed by the whole thing. North of here has big problems coming their way though!

23. afastpacedlife says:

Hello from Florida! I’m stuck here (without Ben) until Wed because of the blizzard. Fly to Miami early and we can meet up. 🙂

You’re so bad@ss for running out there in the pouring rain, snow, ice and slush. I couldn’t do it; I’m too clumsy. The last time I ran with ice on the sidewalks, I slipped and passed out for a few minutes. Thank goodness, a friend was with me. After that, I just don’t go out running in those conditions. Be careful and stay safe.

What the WHAT!? Where’s Ben!? I wish I could come down there right now and hang out! Seriously get me out of here.
      Good lord I’m glad you’re okay after that fall and that you weren’t alone. That makes me never want to run outside in the slush again and it didn’t even happen to me. I did almost bite it a couple times, but managed to not fall down.

• afastpacedlife says:

Ben managed to get one of the few seats available this morning. There was a single seat free and he grabbed it. We figured it was better to have one of us home and worry about getting one body home post-blizzard rather than two bodies.

24. bluecoyotelifecoaching says:

You are a Rockstar for getting that 12 miler on the books. I, very likely, would have turned tail and headed for the comfort of my bed. Good luck with this week’s training, this next storm looks like it might be a real doozy.

I was so close to going back inside. And then for the first couple miles all I could think of was turning around and going home. We are pretty well off here right now…just getting the tail end of whatever terrible thing is about to dump three feet on Boston. Tomorrow will definitely be a treadmill day though.

25. ambertherunner says:

You are a total badass for getting that 12 miler in on Saturday! But seriously, I’d be completely fed up if my gym played with their hours & classes like that. I’m paying because it fits into my routine (not to mention keeps me safe & dry)!
    I haven’t been to body pump in quite a while (back to a yoga phase now), but I totally remember those god-awful days when they started a new cycle. Suddenly every exercise felt impossible & I l’d be wondering why my muscles turned into jelly since the last class. That being said though- the final 2 weeks or so of each cycle, when I have the songs & lifts memorized, I feel awesome 🙂

It was the worst new introduction I’ve experienced yet. I don’t know if I’m ever going to get used to this one haha! That’s exactly where I stand with the gym right now and I was planning on treadmill tomorrow morning and I’m petrified that I’m going to wake up to another late opening and miss my workout. They aren’t some little fly by night business either. I hate to force people to drive in bad weather, but come on. Why do we all have to be at work and the gym people don’t? This isn’t the county school system we are talking about here.

You’re a beast for going out there in that weather! Awesome job! We’ve been having weird weather… one week it’s 80 the next it’s and supposed to rain, but still pretty warm with temps in the 70s. It may be warm here, but I kinda feel bad for the people that are in town for the Super Bowl expecting the typical sunshine if it rains haha

Thank you! I think I was more desperate than anything else. I would kill for 70 degrees right now (and I’m hoping that will be the case in Florida!) I hate to say that I hope it rains on their Super Bowl…maybe I’m just a little bitter because my team isn’t there. 🙂

27. FLRunnerBoy says:

Ummmm a run in that polar vortex … yeah you have so earned your badge of honor and are in need of some well deserved warmer Florida running chica!

Girl you are badass in that slush! I draw the line at anything icy because I know I’m going to wipe out at some point and we only have one car (which I’d use to drive to the trail) so I’d be screwed. Congrats for getting that run done!