NJ Marathon Training Week 4 Recap

That was officially the fastest week of my life. Did a weekend just happen? Where am I?

Week 4 Grade: In the end I give it an A, but it had D- potential for awhile there.

I had the added stress of a sick kiddo all week. As some of you know she had strep, followed by an allergic reaction to her strep meds, followed by a stomach flu. Good times in my house. Mr. Salt also had said stomach flu and it has been trying to catch me all weekend. So far I’ve been mostly successful in outrunning it. ::fingers crossed::

Monday, January 12: Okay so this was fun. We had a little bit of an ice storm overnight. Nothing too terrible. I think schools opened 2 hours late. I, of course, had to be to work on time so I didn’t even think that the gym might be impacted by the weather. The sidewalk outside my house was a little icy, but the roads were fine as far as I could tell. I arrived at around 20 to 6 (Body Pump is at 6) to a mostly empty parking lot and the cars that were there were still running with their drivers inside. This didn’t look good.

In the end, the gym ended up opening at 6 due to the weather and Pump class was canceled. I only had time to get in about a half hour on the elliptical, which is better than nothing I guess. Mostly I was just pissed that I woke up at 5:20 for no reason.

Tuesday, January 13: 3 Miles. I did some easy 400m intervals (7:34 pace) and then got on the elliptical again for 15 minutes. Some ab work in the evening after Betty went to sleep. It was a low key day.

Wednesday, January 14: 6 Mile pace. This run felt great even though II failed at it miserably because my goal pace is NOT 8:01. I need to learn how to slow down for these pace runs. In the evening I went to a yoga class and it was wonderful.

Thursday, January  15: I lost my mind. I really wanted to get in some good strength training this week and there is another 6am Pump class on Thursdays. Also I was supposed to run 3 miles. Also I was supposed to be to work at the usual time.

So I woke up at quarter of 5, got to the gym by 5:10, ran 3 miles (8:12), cleaned up a bit, and then went to Pump class. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel a little badass. And completely exhausted by Thursday night.

Friday, January 16: I deserved this rest day so hard. Oh and…

100 Days Until Race Day!!!

Saturday, January 17:  I had a dilemma. I hadn’t run a race since November and there was a 5K for a very good cause – that would be the Maryland Special Olympics –  that I wanted to participate in.

I cannot resist a race called “Freeze Your Buns”. The problem was that Hal said 11 miles that morning. So what do I do?

I decided to do the race on Saturday and move my long run to Sunday. I will have a full recap of the race soon. Let’s just say that I don’t think I’ve felt that horrible during a race EVER, but I still managed to come in first in my age group.

10929195_940231779322559_4126401551596332903_n

I look rough. I felt SO rough.

Sunday, January 18: Winter hates me and it wants to make it as difficult as possible for me to train for this marathon. The forecast for Sunday morning called for rain. It was supposed to start at around 8am. So I set my alarm for 6 thinking that this would give me plenty of time to get my 11 mile long run done.

My alarm went off at 6 and OMG I was totally nauseous. NOOOOOOO OH GOD NOT THE STOMACH FLU. There was no way I was running right then, but I knew my window was so small if I wanted to get this done in dry weather. (At the time I had no idea it was raining already.) I decided to go back to sleep for a couple hours to see if that would help.

9am rolled around and I felt better, but by then freezing rain had been falling and apparently the sidewalks were really icy. I know some of you are hardcore and probably cool with running on ice, but I’m not one of those people. I packed up a bag for the gym and resigned myself to the fact that I would be running 11 miles on the treadmill.

Except then I didn’t even get off my street. As I got to the top of the drive two of my neighbors flagged me down. One of them, this really sweet girl, had gotten her car stuck in the middle of the road. She had been trying to get up the hill and slid back down so that she was perpendicular to the curb. Another neighbor pointed down the street the other way and my jaw dropped as I saw one car UP ON THE SIDEWALK plus about 6 others stranded in the middle of the hill. Sirens were blaring everywhere. Obviously I was not going anywhere for a little while. No one saw this storm coming. It was insane.

So I came home, made breakfast, played with Betty, cleaned and organized my office, and finally someone salted the road and it was safer to go out.

10383586_940830832595987_4035905102434293030_n

And that’s the story of how I ran my longest run of the year so far (and the longest one using this watch!) on the freaking treadmill. In hindsight, I’m glad I was nauseous at 6am because the bad weather had already started. It would have been no fun to run in that mess and if something bad had happened Mr. Salt wouldn’t have been able to get to me.

All bad weather and icky illnesses aside, my workouts this week were mostly positive and I have been sticking strong to my less-sugar/less-wine plan. Physically I feel great aside from a big blister on my toe and a strain in my left glute, but more on that in another post. I know the world is very excited to hear about my butt.

Week 4 Total Mileage: 26 + some change

Has the winter weather thrown you for a loop recently? Did you experience this crazy ice storm? What’s the longest you’ve ever run on a treadmill?

I hope everyone had a great weekend! Happy Monday!

75 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 4 Recap

1. Kate says:

The longest run ever on a treadmill for me was 10 miles…and it was probably the longest 10 miles of my entire life lol. My entire family had the stomach bug over Christmas, which meant that Christmas was spent in our PJs all day watching movies (as opposed to having family over)…which ended up being kind of nice haha. I’m glad you didn’t get it though! Have a great week 🙂

That is exactly how I felt about that run yesterday. It was neverending, but at least I got it done! I feel like everyone I know has been sick this winter! A rough one for sure. I’m knocking on my desk right now that I avoid it!

2. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

Holy crap, that does sound like a rough week! I can’t believe you got all your workouts in, I think I would’ve used that ice storm as an excuse for an extra rest day 🙂 I think the longest I’ve ever gone on a treadmill would be 5-6 miles, so props to you!

3. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

What a crazy week! You’re awesome for making it through 🙂 My best friend did that race and it sounds like it was fun, but COLD!
    The weather was awful this week here too, and I didn’t get in Saturday’s run because of it. Wind chill of -9? No thank you!

What!? That’s awesome that your friend was there!! It was absolutely awful cold-wise, but really fun and we could wait for everything to start indoors which was nice. Um there is no way I’d be running in -9. Or even in +9. That’s insane!

4. prettylittlerunner says:

Don’t even get me started on the weather! I just need a little taste of the sun… So tomorrow I will be hitting the gym and going tanning… I kno, I kno it’s so bad for you… but this girl NEEDS some vitamin D

I don’t blame you one bit. We are going to Florida in just about 3 weeks and vacation cannot get here soon enough. It’s getting to the point where 30 degrees feels warm. 30 degrees should never feel warm!

Congrats to you for sticking it out all week. What an adventure. Sure hope Betty is feeling back to herself again. And a huge congrats on the race this weekend. Love the name of it!

I could not pass it up based on that name alone. 🙂
      I really hope this is it for illnesses in my house. Betty has literally been sick since January 1st. That poor child needs some well time!

6. Jennifer @ Running on Lentils says:

I totally stole your self-grades for your training weeks. Hope you don’t mind! Congrats on getting 1st in your AG! 5ks are so hard & completely terrify me because I know I’ll be in agony the whole time. Good for you for facing the pain & pulling out a win!

Steal away! I don’t mind at all!
      5Ks can definitely be agonizing on their own and then throw freezing temps into the mix and recipe for disaster. I’ve never tried to run fast in temps like that before!

The longest I’ve ever run on a treadmill was probably 9-10 miles. 8 is usually my max. Both for my brain and my body—the hammies don’t really like it. Congrats on the AG 1st! You just keep on rackin dem up, lady!

Lately I have been talking about my butt all the time on my blog, so no worries:) I can’t believe how bad the weather got yesterday! I don’t think it was as bad in the city but I didnt leave my apartment after 11am. This morning there were some icy spots while I was running which I was surprised about because it felt really warm out! You are doing great and marathon training during the winter is never easy.

Hahaha I’m glad I’m not alone with the butt talk.
      I’m so glad today is a holiday because traffic was light and I could actually take the highway to work rather than side streets, which I’m sure were still icy. It DID feel really warm by comparison today though! (It’s scary that we consider this warm now.) Thanks so much! I’m surprised that I was able to get so much out of last week!

We are supposed to get a bit of snow Wednesday, but I am actually excited to run in that as long as there’s no ice. There’s something magical about running while it’s snowing! I do hope there is a warm up coming though!

9. Sass N' Dash says:

Awesome training week! Lately the weather for me has actually made my training go better as it’s a bit cooler here in Florida. Normally I am battled extreme heat and dehydration risks.

We are on our way down there in a couple weeks and I have a 14 miler planned during our trip. I cannot wait! It’s going to be weird going from this freezing cold to something with breathable humidity! It sounds like the whole east coast has gone cooler!

I’m impressed that you kept up with your training with such a crazy week! The longest treadmill run I’ve ever done was 8 miles, and aside from some random under arm chafing (only on one side, WTH?), it was ok. Netflix helped.

11. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

We got that ridiculous ice storm yesterday too! My longest treadmill run was 18 miles during my Boston training last year (and I was still trying to get over the stomach flu, so I totally sympathize with you!!) I actually don’t mind the treadmill when I can watch Netflix and catch up on shows I love or a movie. I listened to my podcast this morning while running on the treadmill–its still super icy here today…be safe my friend and congrats on your 5k win, you may not have felt good, but you looked great and I love that you were rocking your SwirlGear! xo

I remember that treadmill run! I thought you were so badass (and I still do!) Was last winter this icy? I remember tons of snow, but I feel like I’m stuck inside more often because of ice now. Good call running on the ‘mill this morning after yesterday!

I miss Swirlgear. I’m still so sad about the whole thing! That shirt is one of my faves!
      I hope you had a wonderful weekend, friend!

my longest treadmill run has been 7 miles. I think 8 would be my limit. I was going to treadmill it yesterday but then the sky opened up in the afternoon so I took it outside. It rained heavy and hard here but can’t believe the amount of crazy ice you guys got! Just glad you were all safe 🙂

Right around mile 8 yesterday was where I was like OMG LET THIS BE OVER NOW haha.
      Did you guys get that craziness down in DC? It was INSANE here and no one saw it coming. I would prefer nothing like this happen again thankyouverymuch.

13. Lauren says:

Ugh I know that stomach flu is going around along with some other flus and stuff so I’m super paranoid about catching it. I swore I felt nauseous and was getting something yesterday but am pretty sure it was all in my head. Yesterday I was supposed to do a long run too but the ice and all was awfullll so I did 3 miles on the dreamill with some planks and called it a day. I’m hoping to get in some miles today!

Me too. It’s extra rough with the kiddo because schools are such germ factories. I feel like I use hand sanitizer 100x a day. I think it’s supposed to be a little warmer this week so you should be able to get out there! That ice was insanity yesterday!

14. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

Running outside is so frustrating! It’s so dicey…you can lace up and mentally get all in, but then step outside and realize it’s just not safe! OR you can decide to skip your run and then hear about how the roads were all clear later on. It’s such a gamble! But seriously…props to you for getting all this running in with such a sick kiddo…strep, allergic reactions and THEN a stomach bug? Sounds miserable!

I HATE when I opt to run on the treadmill based on an online or TV check and then I go outside and it’s not bad. But I’m already dressed for the treadmill and I don’t have time to change. Summer running wins big time in that case.

And thanks! Hopefully everyone stays well now!

Ugh to ice and long runs on the treadmill! You had awesome week of workouts despite all the reasons you might not. Aside from the last week or so, I think the winter has been fairly tolerable. Here’s to 40 degrees this Saturday!

16. kjillions says:

How do you find your watch in tracking on the treadmill? According to my watch, I ran close to 4.84 miles yesterday but the treadmill said 4.23. It was my first time using it on the mill, I’ve used it plenty outside.

Oh and good for you doing 11 on the mill. I’m bored after 5!

For shorter runs I’m usually a little bit ahead (by no more than a tenth of a mile usually) and it got up to about half a mile over the course of 11 miles. I tend to agree with the watch more than the treadmill because I’m generally faster outside than I am on the ‘mill, but I ran an extra half mile over just to make sure I covered all my bases for the workout. (I just stopped my watch at 11.) I am most likely going to get a foot pod soon just to be as accurate as possible.

17. FLRunnerBoy says:

Nice week Salt despite winter not playing nice! Longest treadmill run for me … 16. And congrats on the age group win!!! I also won my age group on Saturday so looks like we ran things despite not being at are best haha lol 😉 can you imagine when we’re hitting on all cylinders 🙂 I hope the family is all better and healthy

NICE JOB, LEE!!!! I was thinking about you on Saturday and wondering how you did! That’s so awesome!
      16 miles is WOAH. I was so happy when 11 was over. I can’t imagine 16. (But I’d do it if I had to!)

18. themilereport says:

11 miles on the treadmill is something to be proud of, for sure. I was going to meet a group to run this morning but decided to stick to the treadmill & indoor track until the weather gets a little safer. I’m just getting over an injury, and I picture myself falling on my face and being out for another few weeks, ha.

I WISH I had access to an indoor track. I have no idea where I would even begin to find one around here. The way things have gone for me, I’d be highly likely to slip and break every bone in my body.

Congrats on the 1st place finish for your age group and the 11 miles on the treadmill! The weather has been difficult. I moved my long run to today because of the conditions yesterday. Thankfully it was a long weekend for me.

20. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Winter throws us a curve ball all the time in Nova Scotia…we just kinda get use to it. I have a limit of what I will run in, icy roads no way. Snow/ice, I’d run in that and snow…meh! Anything below -15c (5f) I try not to run in. Longest run on a treadmill was 13k. I don’t know how you did 11 miles! Hats off to you!

Yeah I’m sure we have NOTHING like what you guys have. I’m just a complete wuss. If I lived in Canada I would be running on a treadmill until May. 🙂 Honestly I don’t know how I did it either. It’s all kind of a blur now.

Whoa great job not that treadmill long run! The longest I’ve ran on a treadmill was 14, but that was a long time ago when I did like zero running outside, so I was pretty conditioned to it, and it didn’t really bother me. It would probably be a lot harder for me now! I hope the stomach bug stays away from you!

So far so good! (Knocking on wood again.) And Betty seems to be back to her old self this evening thank goodness!
      It’s definitely weird going back and forth between treadmill and the road. I’m not running outside nearly as much as I would like to be right now. This week I’m going to try to be out there as much as I can. I don’t really want to see the treadmill for awhile after yesterday haha!

22. Running Betty says:

Awesome week of training and good for you for finding the motivation to do your long run on a treadmill! I can count the number of long runs I’ve ever done on a treadmill…and all of them were mentally painful! My longest was 18 when I was getting ready for early spring marathon and snowmagedon hit! I’m not going to lie…I hated it so much! Lol

23. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

Sorry to hear Betty was so sick but it sounds like you handled it really well. I’m a complete lunatic when my kids get sick, especially stomach flu! Pretty great week considering that and the weather! I was glad I got my run in sat since we also had a crazy ice storm Sunday.

Thank you! I think if all the other illnesses hadn’t happened first I would have been completely freaked over the stomach thing, but when she got sick this time (in my car which was super fun) I was just like…oh we’re on to this now. I think I’m just numb to illness at this point. Poor thing has been sick since New Years! (She’s much better today though!) I’m glad you got your long run in this weekend too! I wish mine had been outside.

I’ve been resorting to the treadmill for all my runs. Congrats on the AG win! Not surprising though 🙂 Fingers crossed you avoid the stomach bug!!!

25. afastpacedlife says:

Catching up a bit on my blog reading.

1) Your redesign is abso-freakin-lutely cu-uute! I love it, especially your new avatar.
    2) We have the same swimsuit. Twins!
    3) Longest run on a treadmill ever was 10 miles, but that was years ago when I only ran on a treadmill. More recently it was 8.5 miles.
    4) Congrats on your AG win!!!

AHHH THERE YOU ARE!!! I’ve missed you!
      THANK YOU, swimsuit twin!! I hope you have been having the most wonderful vacation! (I just checked out your blog and saw the recent pics…so jealous. You have missed some TERRIBLE weather over here!)

26. afastpacedlife says:

Haha, yeah, I know! We timed our trip fantastically. The day after we left, the arctic blast came in and a warm spell showed up today just in time for our arrival. We’re a little sad about leaving paradise, but reuniting with our puppy made up for it.

27. Lily says:

I’m so impressed you ran that much on the treadmill. And first in your age group in the race. And your new blog design is awesome! High fives all around.

I’m feeling pretty great today and everyone else in my house seems well, so hopefully this is all behind us now! Haha “mind numbing” would definitely be the way to describe it. Thank you so much!

Another great week of training! Sunday sounds like it was an adventure. I’m so impressed you got 10 miles in, on the treadmill, despite nausea and such terrible icy weather! Nothing stops you! 🙂

Woohoo!! You got it done! I hope you feel much better soon. I experienced the same ice storm. It was awful! I stuck to a much safer treadmill long run as well. Does your Garmin work well in your gym? I remember trying it once and it went crazy on me so I never use it on the treadmill anymore. Instead, I memorize all my splits hah! But it gets hard for long runs sometimes. My longest treadmill run was 17 miles!