It’s in the bag. {The Friday Five}

Funny thing about my Wednesday post…it got A LOT of hits. I’m wondering if it’s because people thought the “facelift” I was talking about wasn’t about my blog, but more along the lines of  “I look like this now”:

facelift2

Just a blog facelift. Sorry to disappoint.

I did want to thank everyone for the kind comments on the new layout and even more than that for sending so much love and support to my little B-Hive. She’s just fine now and all the hives are pretty much cleared up. She was such a trooper throughout the whole ordeal. I’m so thankful she’s mine. ❤

Anyway, with all the action over here this week FLEW by and before I knew it it was time for the Friday Five again!

DC_linkup

This week Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney would like to know what we all have in our gym bags. They are about to be real sorry that they asked. (Kidding.)

What’s in My Gym Bag

With explanations because I feel like at least some of these things are going to require some kind of explanation.

First let me introduce my gym bag:

unnamed

I super love it. It was part of my reward for making it through the Charm City Run B3 Challenge last year. At first when they gave it to me I was like “WTF am I going to do with this enormous, 35-pocket backpack?”. I foolishly doubted its awesomeness. As it turns out it is the perfect gym bag and the only downfall is that it has so many pockets that I’m kind of a hoarder when I use it.

Mary-Poppins_zpsc8c19703

It was very hard to narrow it down to just 5 items for the purpose of todays post.

1. Shoes.

There will always be a pair shoes in my bag. The question is…which pair will it be?

shoes

Well today it was my New Balance 890s. I like these shoes. They are lightweight, but still cushiony. I wear them for easy runs and sometimes mid-distance races. Today at the gym was 3 on the treadmill followed up by Body Pump class and the 890s seemed like a good choice for that combination of things.

2. Yurbuds.

These will also always be in my bag and if they aren’t it either means it’s speed day or I’m really pissed off at myself because I have no way to listen to music.

yurbuds

When I first started running I always wore those white earbuds that came with my iPhone. I only had one iPhone, but somehow I ended up with like 15 sets of those earbuds. They were terrible and I have no idea why I collected so many. Then the ever-awesome Mr. Salt got me a pair of Yurbuds for Christmas last year and I loved them, but kept feeling like I was installing them into my ears incorrectly. As it turned out, I just have really small ear holes and the Yurbuds were awkward because they were never going to fit. So I got these pink girly ones at the recommendation of Maybe Marathoner. I assumed I would hate the kind that went over my ear, but you all know what happens when you ass.u.me. These things are awe.s.ome. I don’t have to mess with them at all when I run. The only time they are ever a pain is when I’m also wearing my sunglasses which I will never, ever be doing while running on a treadmill.

I already lip sync on the treadmill so there’s no need to call any more attention to myself.

3. A Nonsensical Swimsuit.

Remember when I said that I was going to make like Hasselhoff and get friendly with the pool this year? I guess I should get more functional swimwear for lap swimming because this ain’t it.

swimsuit

It’s freaking adorable, but it’s not athletic wear. I keep it in my bag for when I want to use the hot tub or the steam room or I take Betty to the gym for family swim on Friday nights.

4. A Crapload of GU.

Believe me when I say that I was not planning on eating these in one sitting.

gu

I happened by my neighborhood REI the other day and picked up this GU because I have longer long  runs coming up. I guess I forgot to take them out of my bag. I actually forgot that I had even purchased them at all until right before I took the photo for this blog post.

Yay I have GU now!

5. One Lonely Hello Kitty Sock.

Because Betty.

sock

I think no further explanation is necessary. 🙂

What is the weirdest thing you have in your gym bag?

Make sure to link up with the DC Trifecta! Those ladies rock!

Happy weekend everyone!!

88 thoughts on “It’s in the bag. {The Friday Five}

1. FLRunnerBoy says:

Ohhhhhh you lip sync while on the mile too!!! You are extra loved now Salt ha lol 😛 😉 I thought I was one of the only ones lol. We’ll have to do a treadmill duet someday ha! And I’m still love the cartoon Salt on this new page she soooo cute lol 🙂 the weirdest thing in my gym bag ummm … not much now because I just went to a new bag but when a cleaned out my old one I did have a swiss army knife in it because one just doesn’t know when they’ll have a McGuyver moment haha lol 😛 … a lone Hello Kitty sock eh’

I am so glad I’m not the only person that does this. Yes we MUST have a treadmill duet!! 😀
      I think a swiss army knife is pure brilliance! Nothing weird about it! I can think of a couple times when I wish I had one on me.

I am very intrigued by those headphones-I always have to wear the kind that go over the ear otherwise they fall out. I didn’t realize Yurbuds made one that go over the ears! I have been buying cheap Phillips headphones on amazon for years that keep breaking. I might need to give those a try!

I was expecting them to be a lot more expensive too and they aren’t. I think I got them for like $20-something and they have them at Target. I’ve been wearing them for almost a year and will never wear another kind again!

Love the lonely Hello Kitty sock! I guess the wierdest thing in my bag, weird to a non runner anyways, would be the Body Glide. If you didnt know what it was, you might question what I actually do at the gym.

Body Glide is a MUST. I never wore it before last May and then Suz (www.suzlyfe.com) suggested that I needed it for my marathon. Thank goodness I got some. I will never go back to not carrying Body Glide! (Or at least putting it on before I leave the house for a run!)

• Sweaty Mess says:

Oh yes! After my first 10 miler last summer, I experience the reasons to keep Body Glide around. I just haven’t needed since the half. Brian gave me the weirdest look when he saw it one day. Those silly non-runners.

4. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Awww, that little sock is so cute. I have my girls gloves in my jacket pocket – so fun to pull out when running errands …there little hands and feet 🙂

I don’t have a normal gym bag as I don’t go to one very often. But my running bags always has flip flops in case I need to shower at work, shower stuff, small towel. Then I pack my sneakers – always a challenge of which ones. Today, I’ve packed my NB (like yours). I also need to get new ear buds…I have the IPhone ones too – that’s it. I’m always misplacing them too. Urgh!
    Have a great weekend.

It definitely makes me smile every time. 🙂
      I have my shower shoes with me when I go too, but I usually keep them in a separate bag with my shampoo and stuff. I must look like the biggest bag lady when I walk into the gym.
      I hope you have a great weekend too!

Oh there are always pieces with me. If I went through my purse right now I bet I would find at least five random toys! I love it. It puts a smile on my face throughout the day. 🙂

5. Corinne says:

I’m jealous of Betty’s sock collection…..

The weirdest thing in my gym bag? Probably the crappy soap on a rope I got from a Brooks event last year. I’m pretty good at keeping weird things out of there! I’m sure some of the women in the locker room would tell you the weirdest thing in my bag are my Versa Grips, but those things are a lifesaver when lifting weights! I need the extra support for my wrists 🙂

6. nevie b. says:

I’m with Mar. This post made me giggle out loud. I don’t pack a gym bag normally, when I do it might be like, a towel and a magazine. But there probably would be a lone sock floating around in just about every bag I own.

7. JessD says:

I have the same Yurbuds in purple, and I get very upset when I forget them for treadmill runs, because then I also have nothing to lip sync to! And there’s always at least one sock floating around in my gym bag, though last week I found three different ones. Apparently I need to clean out the bag more often.

I’m kind of jealous that yours are purple. I love purple. 🙂
      I was thinking the same thing last night when I was looking through my bag. Or at least check all the pockets. I probably haven’t even discovered half the random stuff in there yet!

I have multiple bags that coalesce to one gym bag. Because you never know when you might need all the things or just a few. But really, I just have a gym basket that sits next to another long run bag that sits next to a ton of shoes.
    Really, my apartment is my gym bag.

I freaking love you and I’m cracking up right now. My husband is so over the amount of fitness related things that are just laying around the house. Between Betty and me, he has like one corner for his stuff.

9. breathedeeplyandsmile says:

I LOVE that backpack too-I’ve used it for Hood to Coast relay, a carry on, a gym bag, and a school backpack! It’s so sturdy! Those GU flavors are yummy-I’ve got a big stash of those and the beloved salted caramel.

IT IS! I didn’t realize how much I needed a backpack like this until they gave me one.
      The salted caramel is my jam too! I love the macchiato because I feel like I just ate my coffee when I’m out for a run.

10. Lauren @ ihadabiglunch says:

I’m laughing so hard about your Wednesday post. Clearly you now have unlocked the secret to getting tons of people to stop by your page! 😉

Once upon a time I invested in a sexy Nike one-piece (hopefully you can sense the sarcasm here haha) and I’m so happy I did. It’s so helpful for those once-in-awhile times that I want to actually be athletic in the water.

Have a great weekend!

Yep. Facelifts and anything involving getting toned abs quickly. The biggest hit post I’ve ever made was about abs in 5 minutes. (And it wasn’t even really about abs in 5 minutes!)

I can definitely sense the sarcasm hahaha! It sounds much more functional than my suit though! I hope you have a great weekend too!

11. bobbyjessica2319 says:

Yur buds hub. Hmm. I’ll have to try them out.! I have really small ears also. And mine are always falling out, makes me mad. ! Looove the sock. My daughter has the same one.! 🙂

• bobbyjessica2319 says:

They do.!! Well really similar. I have a pair of hello kitty socks. I’ll have to take a pic of them next time. Lol

If there was a Mary Poppins bag, that would be amazing! I think I need to try those Yurbuds out! I just bought a pair of the pink regular ones because they are the brand that stays in my ears the longest, but one, just one, always falls out towards the end…I must just have one super sweaty ear. Ha gross, I know ;).

Hahaha yes these could definitely help with your sweaty ear problem. 😀 I was worried I would be able to feel the top part all over my ear, but I really can’t at all. (I guess if you could no one would buy them!)

Oh man, I’m part of the tiny ears club too!! I never found anything that would fit my ear. Earbuds always popped out while exercising because they were just too big. Now I’ve learned to just not run with music. And when I’m on my own treadmill, I can just plug my phone in and listen to music out loud so I don’t have to deal with the earbud struggle.
    Great choice on the GU too – my favorite! Mm…mmm good 😉

I wish I could drop the music crutch! I definitely can sometimes when I’m doing a short one outside, but they are a must for most of my treadmill runs. If you are ever in the market for new ones, these are definitely tiny ear approved!

I left the GU at home after taking that photo, but now I kind of wish I had a packet of it with me. It is SO good!

14. Shawna says:

awww this is so cute! i’m totally foregoing this week’s linkup because i don’t even bring a gym bag anymore (i either run outside or work out 2 floors down at the fab gym in my apt bldg, so no bag necessary), but your post is prob the best of all of them, i can already tell. a nonsensical gym bag and the lonely lil kitty sock, and NBs?! love.

You have no idea how jealous I am of the fact you have a gym in your building. My complex needs to get with the program. (Granted if they put in a gym it would be nowhere near as nice as the one I belong to.) I am definitely a NB runner! I feel like they are so underrated.

15. lawrunner says:

The weirdest thing in my gym bag at the moment are six padlocks. I keep losing them and buy more. Then they suddenly all appear at once. I secretly suspect my husband is messing with me.

16. Sass N' Dash says:

Hmm… the swimsuit cracks me up because I tried to go ‘swim laps’ with one of my friends once but I know nothing about swimming. Moral of the story if you try to swim laps in a bikini you end up mooning majority of you fellow swimmers and life guards. lesson learned.

I just bought that gu flavor it is super delicious. I like it for early in a long run since for me it’s usually early in the morning and it’s coffee flavored.

Weirdest thing in my gym bag is probably a few broken hair ties from the times before I switched to the fabric ties. 🙂

Yep. That’s pretty much exactly what I expected would happen. 🙂
      I’m with you on that GU. I took it to a race on Saturday and had it right before the start. That caffeine is a definite kick in the pants!

17. Run Colby Run says:

First. That Facelift Photo is EPIC. And I LOVE THE NEW LOOK!! The new “you” is beyond precious. As is the photo of the single Hello Kitty sock. That’s my favorite. Kisses to Miss B-Hive! Poor little lamb. Hope she’s feeling better!!! xo

It was right from one thing to the next…now she’s getting over a stomach bug. This kid can’t catch a break! I need her well now please!

I need to figure out who that woman is up there. I have no idea, but that is one epic lift.

18. Lily says:

I looove Yurbuds too, I’ve been using them for like five years. And they have a lifelong guarantee in case anything happens to them! So cool. I feel like I need to go buy a bunch of GU now after reading this.

I love the Mary Poppins bag. It made me smile. I totally understand the swim suit thing. I ended up buying a real one when I thought I was going to try training for a triathlon. When I realized what a terrible swimmer I am I stashed it and have no idea where it went. BTW, we must find that Hello Kitty a mate!

I found another slightly similar kitty sock while doing laundry tonight and was all excited, but sadly it was not a match. 🙂
      I think I’m not going to go crazy with a swimsuit…just one as cheap as I can find so if I am terrible at swimming (which I suspect I might be) I won’t be out too much money.

20. Running Betty says:

Love this post and the hello kitty sock! Kids are so funny! I end up with crayons and Pokémon cards in my purse! I’m going to have to check out the yurbuds…I have issue with all my headphones falling out when I run! Have an awesome weekend!

21. prettylittlerunner says:

I legit love that gym bag… it’s bad ass and I love the fact that it has a million pockets!

the most rando thing in my gym bag is my ragnar patch… I don’t know I haven’t taken it out yet but I keep it in there. Every time I go to the gym I pull it out and smile just knowing I did it….

22. Nicole@TheGirlWhoRanEverywhere says:

BAHAHAHA….the sock made me laugh!!!!! First of all: so so glad that Betty is okay!

I love Yurbuds too-i also have the pink ones and they work great! My earholes are suoer obnoxiously tiny and i am forever giving away my dumb iphone headphones. They NEVER fit!
    You crack me up girl! Xo have a great weekend!

Thank you! She’s been hit with a stomach bug over the weekend (poor little girl can’t catch a break!), but on the mend now yet again. Hopefully this will be the last of it!

Thank you for understanding my tiny earhole pain. 🙂 I hope you had a fantastic weekend too, friend! ❤

23. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

i always find random dog treats…everywhere. in bags, in my pockets, in my pants. everywhere. i also need to buy a not cute real swimming suit if i’m gonna do this tri thing. also a bike. i’m WAY behind!

24. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

Awww, that sock looks like it was from when Betty was really tiny. I think I’d keep it in my gym bag forever! 🙂