A little facelift!

You might be noticing things looking vastly different around here today. Welcome to the new and improved Run Salt Run!

Well “new” as in layout and “improved” as in I think it’s more aesthetically pleasing. Nothing else has changed aside from my theme and the addition of some of my own little design elements. Such as…cartoon me!

runsaltrun

Aren’t I freaking precious? I’m even wearing my new blue Boosts. And I figured the air fist-pumping was appropriate considering that it’s like every finish line photo I’ve ever taken.

I’m in the midst of some other changes on here too that you can’t see yet. I’ve signed up for my own hosting and was all ready to get my stuff moved from WordPress to Bluehost on Sunday night. Easy peasy. This is not my first rodeo.

Except that my first rodeo (and by that I mean my first blog transfer and not an actual rodeo) was 7 years ago and I guess the process has changed a little bit since then. I had no idea WTF I was doing and was up way too late the past couple nights on the verge of throwing my Mac out the window. Now I think I’m pretty clear on my next step, but there’s some name server stuff I have to take care of and with everything else going on this week all that is going to have to wait until the weekend.

Yesterday Betty had a very bad reaction to her amoxicillan – the prescription she was taking for strep throat – and it became evident when she broke out into terrifying full-body hives. So along with my eye color and ridiculous sense of humor, she’s apparently inherited my violent antibiotic allergy. Don’t worry; she’s okay, but it was a scary afternoon.

Anyway, it’s a work in progress, but so far I’m happy with it and ready to have complete ownership over this space!

Have you ever done a blog redesign? How did it go for you?

Happy Hump Day, everyone!!

105 thoughts on “A little facelift!

So cute. I love it! I am a bit jealous. I would love too revamp mine but I am challenged in that department and I fear it would just look like a mess and I probably would throw my computer out the window or at someone. Love what you did. You are super talented girl! So glad Betty is okay. That always scares me with children, wondering if they will react to something or not.

Thank you! I haven’t made my own theme yet (will do that one day when I have more time), but this definitely works for now. I’m so glad that she’s okay too…happy as a clam and excited that she doesn’t have to take that medicine anymore!

Wow I am so glad Betty is ok- that sounds really scary!
    I love the new look! Even though I went self-hosted almost a year ago all I can do is use pre-set themes…I would have no clue how to make any cartoons or cool designs! Way to go!

Oh this theme is still pre-set…I just made sure to pick one where I could do a custom background and header. One day I would love to completely design one from scratch, but I would need extra free time to do that. 🙂

I’m so glad she’s okay too! It was scary for sure, but things are back to normal now. 🙂

3. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

Love the new design and can’t wait to see what else you have planned. Cartoon Salt is cute and happy looking but I can’t help but think that she may be a little under-dressed for this frigid winter weather. Maybe she needs some cool lime green calf sleeves and other warmer layers? (Just kidding of course!! But a cartoon Salt whose running outfit changed with the seasons COULD be pretty cool…!)

4. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! says:

I completely LOVE this new look!!! It’s awesome and the cartoon you is totally adorable!

I’m glad B is feeling better – I have the exact same issue with amoxicillin and penicillin. I can’t take them, and haven’t been able to since I was really young. Thankfully for people like you, myself and little Miss Betty there are other things we can be prescribed and still do better with our health. I hope she gets well soon! Can’t wait to see all the new stuff coming for you in 2015!!!

Thanks!! I’ve been dealing with it for as long as I can remember too and there are always ways around it so I’m not worried. It was just horrifying to see her have that reaction to it! I’m just glad it wasn’t more serious! ❤

5. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Love the new design and the cartoon Salt! I’d love to do a redesign of my blog but feel I lack the skills to do so…and self host too. Maybe someday.
    It’s the pits when kids are not well…speedy recovery Betty.

Thank you! I thought self hosting would be a piece of cake and now I feel like I’ve put my foot in my mouth. Hopefully I can get it figured out this weekend.

Betty is doing so much better tonight. Right back to her sassy self! I think before the reaction even came on the meds were making her feel horrible for a couple days. I’m glad it’s over!

Thank you! You had so much going on during break that I wouldn’t have bothered stressing yourself out with a blog redesign. Because this has been stressful. My Mac is lucky it’s still in one piece. 🙂

Poor Betty!!! hope she gets better soon. I recently did some updating on mine but the transfer to self hosting was done a couple years ago. And it was easy as pie because I paid the host to do it for me 😉 looks great!

Not gonna lie…I’ve almost clicked on the button for the “happiness engineers” (or whatever the heck they call them) numerous times, but I feel like I should be able to figure this out for myself considering my job. Maybe this weekend.

I love the way your blog looks now!

Minions are where it’s at!
      Yesterday school called and they were freaking out because they thought she had HFM (her hands were swollen and the hives were all over them first) so of course I was in a panic and calling the doctor and Mike went and got her. I’m kind of glad that it was a reaction to the meds and not that. And obviously that the reaction wasn’t more serious. We’ve been calling her B-Hive. 🙂

7. Nora @ 2 Generations Running says:

I love the new look! 🙂 As you know, I just redesigned my blog and I’m SO THRILLED with how it looks now. I’m not self-hosted yet, but I’ll probably make that move eventually.
    Glad Betty’s ok now, I can imagine that was pretty scary!

I love your new look too! I have been putting off a redesign and self host for so long that it feels good to just be doing something about it finally. Thank you so much! She’s much better tonight!

So prettay!!!! I love it! I would love to get some work done on my blog. I don’t even know where to start. Also, your avatar lacks tats and cat pants. Then she will be complete.
    Poor little B. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs–I had to go on them when I was a toddler and broke out into a lacy rash. Luckily, no hyperventilating or being short of breath, and I hope B didn’t have to deal with that!

I just got back from your blog and saw that you are chevron too! We are chevron sisters!! ❤
      I'm think that I might have to add the cat pants to cartoon Salt when I have a free moment. 🙂
      Luckily B could breathe but she was coughing a lot before the hives set in so I'm wondering if her throat was really itchy? Either way I'm glad it ended up okay and wasn't worse than it was.

It was most definitely time for a change! I was getting tired of the old one.
      And yes I’m so glad we got it figured out. My allergy doesn’t bother me now…there are lots of other drug options if I get sick. It just hurt my heart to see her swell up like that. She’s back to her usual goofy self now though!

9. Elizabeth says:

OMG I love the redesign, and cartoon you! It makes me want a cartoon of me for my blog! Seeing as I have had my blog for a little over half a year I haven’t redesigned it yet, but that’s definitely coming, I don’t like the design of my current one and one of my goals is to play with it a little.

I am so glad Betty is okay! That sounds so scary!

LOVE the new design!! I’m bored with mine already and may have to redesign mine soon as well, at least the them, not the logo 🙂 So sorry to hear about Betty, glad it wasn’t an anaphylactic shock experience!! Glad she is ok!

I LOVE your logo and you better not change it! 🙂
      You have NO IDEA how happy I was that it didn’t turn into anaphylactic shock. Now we know and she will never take those meds again. I really hope we don’t have to go through something like this ever again though!

Aww poor Betty! I’m so glad she’s okay! That must have been so scary! Little cartoon Salt is so cute! I absolutely love the design! 🙂 I’ve messed around a couple of times with a redesign, and the last time it resulted in my heart beating as fast at it would if I were running for my life…It was completely gone, but thankfully the Bluehost person I talked to knew there stuff and got it all back! I don’t know squat when it comes to that stuff!

Oh gosh I am totally going to be in that heart attack mode this weekend when I work on this further. I already know it. The more I think about it the more I might just want to fork over the money and have someone do it for me. You are brave to take on the task yourself! 🙂

Thank you so much, friend! It has been a crazy couple of days around here, but we’re getting back to normal!

12. Crosscoutry02 (@crosscoutry02) says:

The new design rocks! I am so sorry that you and Betty react horridly to antibiotics. I pretty much react at some level to whatever medication I am taking. So – I try to avoid it, if at all possible. Hang in there – I hope Betty is feeling 100% in no time.

13. OmniRunner says:

Looks good. I moved my blog myself to self hosted on GoDaddy. Not sure I did it right as none of my previous followers followed me over. Well, maybe 5!
    Wordpress will do it for your for $200, I think. May be worth looking into.

14. Kristin says:

Ohhh my gosh, you are SO SO SO adorable!!! Perfect!! 🙂 I love this!! I went through a transformation, too!! Isn’t it fun? 🙂 Gosh, I absolutely love the look!! Precious!! XOXO

Ugh the dreaded peanut allergy. 😦 We are lucky to have avoided that one, but my nephew wasn’t. We have to be so careful around him. And Betty goes to a nut-free school which I think is so important. You just never know!

15. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Looks great Salt! I did a re-design and transferred to self-hosted this time last year. It is no joke! The whole process took me weeks, but I’m not as tech savy as you are! Love the cartoon you! Glad Betty is ok and please welcome her to our lovely antibiotic allergy club!

I’m finding that I’m not tech savvy at ALL through all this! I thought I was!! Haha I guess I’m good at making these things pretty and not so much with the tech part. 🙂 Thank you so much and I will pass along the welcome. 😉 (She’s hive-free today!)

16. fitfoodiemama says:

Love your face lift! It looks great!!! Glad to hear your daughter is okay- that must have been scary! My LO has been on antibiotics for a month now (3 diff ones) and I kept getting nervous that she was going to react too (bc my hubby does)- thankfully she didn’t!

I absolutely love your new design and the cartoon you is PERFECT!!! Seriously so creative 😀 I’m also really glad that Betty is ok ❤

Love the new blog design and the cartoon you is too cute 🙂 I’m kind of intimidated by the whole blog redesign thing so have never done one. Maybe some day!

19. Lauren says:

Love the blog design! I need to move from blogger to self-hosted wordpress.org eventually but the whole thing is daunting and I go between wanting to pay someone or tackling it myself. At least I own my domain name! Also I’m allergic to sulfa drugs and it took two times of breaking out in full-body red, itchy hives to figure it out! Not fun!

Thank you! I remember the whole move to self hosting being WAY easier the first time I did it and I don’t know what I did differently back then. I guess I’ll get it figured out eventually. Really your own domain name is the thing that makes the most sense.
      Over the past couple days I have heard from so many people with sulpha drug and penicillin allergies. They are more rampant than I ever imagined!

She is definitely past the allergic stage, but has moved on to a stomach bug. And then I thought she was okay, but earlier she ate something that made her sick again. Hopefully tomorrow everyone will be 100%. NO MORE ILLNESSES PLEASE!! Thank you, friend!