NJ Marathon Training Week 3 Recap

Oh yayyyyy it’s Monday again! And we really don’t have to talk about what happened with football over the weekend. I’m cool with it. Now I can get my weekends a little more focused on this race, especially now that my long runs are about to start building up!

Week 3 Grade: A

The first part of the week was VERY successful. I challenged myself to put down the wine glass and pie fork in the hopes that I could start regaining some of my pre-holiday (and even pre-foot injury) fitness that I feel has been lacking a little. Sunday through Wednesday I didn’t drink much of anything aside from Nuun/water and I’ve been feeling fantastic! I had a few drinks this weekend, but now I’m ready to take up this challenge again for week 4.

Monday, January 5: Body Pump. Good class. Added on to my squat weight again!

Tuesday, January 6: 3 miles. I decided to make it a 5k and since this week was lighter than usual on miles I wanted to have some fun with intervals.

sub 20

I already recapped this here, but it was definitely a high point of the week. I also warmed up and cooled down for a half mile apiece so technically my Tuesday mileage was 4.

Wednesday, January 7: 5 mile pace run that I ran too fast (8:06). We had some nasty, nasty weather roll through on Tuesday and then the rest of the week it was so cold that I kept getting nose bleeds. (TMI sorry.) The streets and sidewalks in my neighborhood were a mess of snow and ice so I took this one to the treadmill, set to a 1% incline. Then in the evening I headed back to the gym for an hour of yoga.

Thursday, January 8: 3 miles on the treadmill again (8:00 pace) because I just could not even with this nosebleed weather. Sara was there too so I had someone to run with (she just could not even either).

Friday, January 9: Rest day, but I inadvertently got a short workout in during our production meeting. You see, when I got there there were no chairs left so a friend challenged me to a timed wall sit. Obviously I was going to have to stay that way through the entire meeting because when you dare me to do something, I’m all in.

Well it ended up being one of the longest production meetings we’ve ever had; usually they are brief, but people kept bringing stuff up and every time they did I was silently screaming at them to STFU. In the end, I wall-sat for 15 minutes and 50 seconds and then could barely climb the stairs to get back to my desk.

i-cant

Saturday, January 10: The shortest long run of this training cycle: 6 miles. Because it was only 6 miles I convinced myself that I could do it outside.

10409612_936032419742495_6247108278866191313_n

It was cold. With the wind chill the temps were right around zero, but the first mile and half wasn’t awful. Then I met the wind. It wasn’t constant, but bad enough that when it did hit my eyes would tear up and occasionally one would spill over and I felt like it was going to freeze on my face. Most of the sidewalks are clear now, but some aren’t (see above) so there were a few near slip-and-fall misses. I really need some Yaktrax or at least put some screws in a pair of shoes if I’m going to attempt something like this again.

I wanted to go out slower than I did, but it was so cold I wanted to be done. I ended up running a little faster than marathon pace (8:18). Then I got home and jumped in a hot shower and screamed because it felt like all my skin was going to peel off.

Sunday, January 11: Cross train. Because yesterday was only 6 miles, Hal suggested a short easy run as an option so I took him up on it. 3 miles (8:35 pace) and then I got on the elliptical for a half hour.

Week 3 Total Mileage: 21. (Roughly. Actually a little over that.)

This week my Wednesday run will gain a mile and then my long run will jump to 11. Also I may run in a race this weekend (depending on weather and whether or not someone can watch Betty for an hour or so) which means I will be long-running on Sunday. That would actually be kind of nice since Mr. Salt is off work and I would be able to sleep in past 5am and take my time out there.

If you’re training, how did your week go? Any good snow runs lately? Have you ever done a timed wall sit?

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I started working on one of my New Year goals yesterday and got all signed up for new web hosting so there should be some fun changes around here soon!

75 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 3 Recap

1. FLRunnerBoy says:

Nice solid week Salt!!! And ohhhh the pain of football this weekend 😦 not a good weekend for both of us. I feel like my Cowboys got robbed but oh well, the playoffs are better than 8-8 any day. My week was a bit of a mixed-bag some running and time on the bike. This naaging injury has messed a bit with my training. Needless to say, I have nooooo clue what to expect out of me for this upcoming Saturday’s 5K. I just saw your Instagram pic on the right bar of your blog is that purple-ish hair Salt??? It look awesome on you!!! Are you on Pinterest by any chance???

Thanks Lee!! Ugh yeah it was a bad one all around. I’m sorry you are still feeling that injury, but I hope it’s better for Saturday! Sending lots of healing vibes your way. 🙂

And yesssss I had purple hair! It was only very temporary though although now I kind of want to do it as more of a permanent thing!

2. Annie at TheLittleGSP.com says:

I like how you challenged yourself to put down your wine glass *and* pie fork! Ha! Sounds like you had a good week of training. I did 6 outside in the snow on Sunday too, but I ran in the middle of the day so it would have been a lot warmer than your run!

Have you tried a humidifier in your bedroom to help with the cold weather nosebleeds? I do that and definitely notice a difference when I wake up in the morning. I also just started running with a neck gaiter that seems to help with the cold air — even if it’s not actually pulled up around my mouth and nose I think it still keeps my throat warmer which helps reduce the hacking cough I always seem to get after a run in the cold.

Thank you so much for this suggestion! I haven’t tried it, but we do have one so I’m going to hook it up tonight and see if it helps. It just went from mild winter to so freaking freezing in such a short time. My poor nose can’t handle the stress.

Lol… The wall sit at the meeting sounds painful! I might have ended up screaming at people for taking so long 🙂 I’m so impressed you got out there on the snowy roads Saturday. I waited until Sunday when it was at least a little warmer and there’s a road here that is closed to cars on the weekend so it was a good place to run since it was plowed.

I was soooo close at telling people to just stop talking already haha. Smart thinking waiting for Sunday! I wish I had a road closely that would be closed to traffic. We have the trail, but that is currently a sheet of ice.

Sounds like an awesome week, despite the lack of wine 😉 And a near 16 minute wall sit?! Yikes. My legs just hurt thinking about that. Congrats on a great week of training. I always love that feeling and find that it carries you through to the next week. Also…..the whole football playoffs have been “interesting” to say the least.

Thanks, friend! I hope this week is anywhere near as good! I got off to a weird start today (pump class got canceled and it threw me for a loop) so I’m ready to reset tomorrow morning.

5. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

Great job lady, that wall sit had to have been brutal and that sub 20 5k is AMAZING!!!! I’m sorry about your football weekend, even thought I am from MA, I am NOT a Pats fan and was hoping the Ravens would win simply to shut everyone around here up!

I really hope I can do that again someday 🙂
      I was hoping we would take that game too and for a second I thought we might! But such is life. I’m ready for baseball now. 🙂

Great week of training! Looks like it’s about to get real (from 6 to 11?) It didn’t feel horrible out Saturday morning, but I am more concerned about ice. I’m only on sidewalks for a bit and even then, having a clear path is a crapshoot. So I did take it to the ‘mill.

Great job refraining from wine and pie. I need to do a better job with that on the weekends.

Yeah nice little jump there hahah. Last week was 9 so it’s not too abrupt but my legs are feeling nice and fresh right now! I’ll be back on the mill in the morning. 🙂

Killer week, lady! I’m not really training for anything right now, just trying to get my base mileage and fitness back up after so long off running. I managed 5 whole miles last week, woohoo!

Yay for your training! I hope you get to do your race this weekend! And your nearly 16 minute wall-sit – that’s damn impressive!!! After only 2 minutes, my legs would be jelly.

I hope so too! I would be a little bummed to switch my long run but this might be the only chance I will get to race before April. I raced waaaay too much before my last marathon and I don’t want to do that again.

9. Lake Shore Runner says:

That is an impressive wall sit time….you are breaking all sorts of records this past week 🙂 Ahhhh I love the 6 mile weekend run. You get so excited because it is so short but then you know you will never see that number again on a weekend run till after training. Glad it was a good training week for you!

10. Kristin says:

Awesome week Salt!! You rocked your runs and your workouts!! That’s fabulous!! You’re running hard, too! WOW!! Way to get out there in the cold and JUST DO IT! You rock! Happy Monday! XOXO

11. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

Great week! Kudos to you for doing your long run out in the cold. I love that you’re challening yourself to focus more on drinking water/nuun during the week. I’ve been doing the same! I was in the clear this week until the boyfriend came and wanted to go out, followed by Saturday night. Oh well. Your wall-sitting skills are impressive and that .gif is perfection!

I am so sorry for your loss….said the Patriots fan :p I still love you, even if you ARE a Ravens fan 🙂

13. Jess@Flying Feet In Faith says:

Great week! We haven’t had any snow here yet. Plenty of freezing cold temps though. It’s been a mix of treadmill and outdoor running for me. Felt like I had a pretty solid first week of marathon training last week. Speedy 5k time by the way! Seriously impressed. Never tried a wall sit… I’m going to the gym tonight with the hubby, maybe we can have a duel challenge 😉

🙂 Still smiling for you with that sub-20 5k speed workout! I think I’ve done a wall sit for maybe like one minute in grade school and I thought that was bad ha. I thought of you all who always have crazy cold weather when we were going through our “cold spell” down here a couple of weeks ago and the ground was frozen in the mornings. I literally might as well have just walked over the (barely) icy parts because I was going at a turtle’s pace 🙂

15. thesimplepeach says:

It looks like you had a great week! Wall sits sound incredibly amazing and terrible all at the same time. I def need to add them to my training!

16. Eat Pray Run, DC says:

girl! i was so glad to see your weather report saturday morning before i went out for my 10 mile race…but then our trail was awful. like covered in snow /ice pretty much the whole way awful. i ran about 2.5 minutes slower per mile than normal because i was trying not to bust my butt. success in that, at least. yay wall sits (but not for 15 min – you cray!) 🙂

That is a mega impressive wall sit! Wowza – hurts to even think about it 🙂

I’ve also been experiencing the dreaded winter bloody nose issue. Yuck. Fingers crossed spring comes early this year!

18. Run Colby Run says:

Niiiiice Salt. Very, VERY impressed with the wall sit. I busted out loud at your gif. I took a yoga class on Friday and felt pretty much the same day. You know you’re in trouble when the instructor walks over and says: So. You’re a runner? Busted. I need more yoga. Bravo for you to strike a running/cross training balance. You are my hero. 🙂

ps. LOVE THE NEW SITE. Looking fantastic!

Haha yep you were so busted! I bet that class felt great though! I can’t wait for mine tomorrow night. 🙂

And thank you thank you thank you! Still a work in progress, but I’m loving it so far!

Thanks! It’s a work in progress and I’m still trying to figure out how to get things moved over to my new hosting, but I’m happy to have picked a theme!!

As for the wall sit…yeah. I don’t know when I will be trying that again, but I do like doing them in general!

I was trying to not look like I was in pain because I knew my friend would make fun of me, but really I was screaming in my mind for the last 14 or so minutes of it. 🙂

Thank you!! I’m still working on it, but I love where it’s going so far!

Thanks! And I would love to help if you need any! 🙂
      I’m glad I’m not the only one who does things like this in meetings. Especially ones that go long. (Next time I think I’ll try something a little less intense though!)

19. ambertherunner says:

I’m so far behind – but awesome job last week! Nice job on that speedy 5k 🙂
    I nearly laughed out loud at your wall sit story. I love walk sits, but damn, I can’t imagine doing one for 15 minutes!!
    I’m always too fast when I run outside now- it’s so hard to start off slowly when I’m freezing my butt off! Please hurry up spring…