NJ Marathon Training Week 2 Recap

Week 2 Grade: B+

Although things were still pretty thrown off due to New Years, I had a decent week. I don’t think I’ve ever been so glad to leave the holidays behind. Plus Betty came down with something on the 1st and I feel like I might have been fighting it off myself over the past couple days. Luckily I still got all my workouts in even if I wasn’t feeling 100%.

Monday, December 29: Body Pump. Our regular instructor is back, which is cool because I really like her. You know what I don’t like though? Lunges. We had to do a lot of them. Lunges are the only exercise that make my trouble foot feel not-so-great.

Tuesday, December 30: 3 miles @ 7:16 pace. Also a half mile warm up and cool down. My training plan calls for no speed work (at least not that I’ve seen so far because I haven’t read ahead), but Tuesday has always been the day I do them anyway so I’m sticking with it whenever I can.

Wednesday, December 31: I woke up in no mood to run and was even less into it when I walked outside and got socked in the face by a burst of freezing cold air. It was around 18 degrees. So I grabbed some shorts and went to the gym. 5 treadmill miles with hill intervals @ 8:11 pace.

Am I a wuss? Maybe a little, but I was a warm and comfortable wuss and a run is a run.

Thursday, January 1: Happy 2015!! 3 miles @ 7:55 pace. I had a few too many of these the night before….

photo 2 (1)

…so it was not the best feeling run. Also as I said I think I was starting to come down with something.

In case you are wondering, those are Fireball whiskey Jell-O shots with whiskey buttercream icing and yes they are absolutely as delicious as they look. I usually stay far away from Pinterest, but it certainly comes in handy sometimes. I was very popular at the New Year’s party.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my very first yoga instructor from years ago just so happened to be teaching a special New Year’s Day class at the gym. She basically helped kickstart my love of it. I couldn’t say no when she asked me if I was coming to class so in addition to my run, I did an hour of yoga. It was exactly what I needed.

Friday, January 2: Rest. I took care of a poor, sick B and got my hair cut. 5″ gone! My sister-in-law does my hair and she’s awesome. I don’t know why I waited so long…my ends were split practically halfway up my head.

photo 1 (2)

Saturday, January 3: Long run. 9 miles @ 8:22 pace. I am making an effort to really slow down my long runs because I have a history of doing them way too fast and I know dialing it back will help me avoid injury. This pace is a little quicker than what I was hoping to achieve (my goal marathon pace is only a couple seconds faster), but this run felt good and relaxed. I could have kept going at the end.

Then in the evening I went out for the football game and figure I must have burned an additional 8,000 calories screaming and jumping up and down. We won and it was EPIC. That’s all I will rub it in on here because I do have some lovely friends who are Steelers fans.

(PS. Go Ravens.)

Sunday: January 4: Cross train. 60 minutes which I split up between the elliptical and the stepmill. Nothing too exciting.

Week 2 Total Mileage: 21.

It seems like I’m barely running at all! In a few weeks I’ll be looking back on that statement and laughing.

Now on to week 3! As I mentioned earlier…SO glad the holidays are over. It’s time to focus on eating better, less wine/more water, and getting more sleep. I did very well with those things at the beginning of last week and I felt great as a result. I’m excited to challenge myself that way again this week.

If you’re training, how is it going? Did you do anything fun for New Year’s? Have you ever had a Fireball Jell-O shot? Did you watch football this weekend?

I hope everyone had a great weekend and a happy start to the year!

83 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training Week 2 Recap

I live with a boy, football was indeed watched. And we had friends (who are steelers fans, though I am not), so football was indeed watched 😉
    My training has been derailed of late. And now I am losing the confidence in my body and my goal. So we shall see what this week brings….
    Happy Monday, love!

I finally got my hair cut this weekend- it was getting so gross! I hadn’t had it cut since last April. I really don’t like paying for haircuts but I compromised and went to great clips for $14.
    I didn’t run outside last Wednesday either just because I had planned to go to the gym, but I was glad that I was indoors that day! I am so not excited for a long, cold, windy winter!

I’m so not either, but as you know it really hit us today! That snow was way worse than I thought it would be and I know it’s going to force me inside tomorrow for my run. Icy sidewalks are not my friend.

3. Shawna says:

hair looks great, and awesome job on those runs and workouts. while i give you creative props for making those fireball whisky jello shots, i’m gagging over here — they’d prob kill me! i have a stomach-churning aversion to all things jello…and fireball… but glad they made you a party hit. 🙂

How is it 8:00am and that jello shot looks awesome?! Scary! What a week girl and all with a holiday or two thrown in there. I always tell my runners to wait until they start their second marathon training. It is funny how the first time it all seems so big and overwhelming and the second time you find the first few weeks to be so puny and you are looking for those big numbers!

I don’t know, but I think the same thing every time I see them.
      This comment made me smile. I didn’t realize how not intimidated I am by all this until right now. (Well I mean…I’m sort of intimidated by the much longer runs, but right now it’s all cake!)

Those jello shots look amazing! I never knew you could put icing on them. Great job with the training this week in spite of a sick kid and not feeling well 😦 I hope everyone’s on the mend. Your hair looks great! I think it’s been almost 6 months since I’ve gotten mine cut and it really needs it.

6. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

I love the haircut and those jello shots look incredible!! Those would have been so good during the football game. Thank god those Ravens won!!
    Glad your week of training went pretty well! My week went pretty well too, although I missed a workout due to the gym being closed during the frigid temps. At least it was only 3 miles!

7. northernambitions says:

I’m so glad the holidays are over too! I almost feel guilty about saying it but I love being in a healthy routine. I just signed up for a 38 km run so you are such an inspiration. Week 2 of your marathon training looks to be going well. It’s all about easing in to avoid pain right?! And those shots look heavenly! or deadly I can’t tell haha (PS cute hair cut)

Don’t feel guilty at all; I totally agree with you. I’m realizing it more now that I just spent an entire month eating and drinking a bunch of things that aren’t so great for me. When is your run?? That’s so exciting!

(Oh and the shots…totally both at the same time.)

Go Ravens! That was an awesome game…

I was in bed by 10:30 on New Years Eve…pretty standard the last few years. I’m a few weeks out from formal training, but slowly working my mileage up to wear it should be to start training.

I’ve come down with something too, hence why I skipped body pump this morning…runny nose, sore throat,…not fun. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

Can’t wait to see how your training progresses – especially since you think it’s so relaxed now. 🙂

Thanks! I hope you’re feeling better today. We ended up taking Betty to the doctor and now she has come down with strep so she won’t be in school (poor thing). She’s been smooching on me a lot so hopefully I can avoid this one! I have a sore throat too, but I already went to get it checked out and they said it’s just a virus. Ugh. Winter, you suck.

When you posted that photo the other day I was like, look at sexy Salt go!. Awesome haircut. I was supposed to get mine cut and colored but ended up going away this weekend. To the place and the game that won’t be mentioned (ps, Go Pats!) I’m glad the holidays are over too. I was struggling to get back on track so hopefully I can now with no distractions! And mm, mmm to those jello shots!!

10. FLRunnerBoy says:

That’s a nice solid week Salt and a mighty speedy pace might I add! Love your selfie by the way 🙂 and yessssss you’re Raven’s I’m sooooo kicking myself for not picking their defense for my fantasy pick this past weekend ugh lol!

I already feel so much better after just detoxing from the weekend. My skin looks better too. Pie does not love my face. I hope you have a great week too and I sure am enjoying it! This Saturday my long run is 6. I don’t even know what to do with myself.

Woohoo – way to go girl! I’m so excited for you and your awesome training. Are you aiming to BQ at NJ? I’m psyched I’ll get to see you finish 🙂
    I hope you and Betty are feeling better now!
    Oh and p.s. I hate lunges too. I’d much rather do a ton of squats than lunges – ugh!

Maaaaaaybe. It’s one of those goals that I never feel like I should directly talk about because it will jinx it in some way. But it would sure be nice! I just hope I finish strong. 🙂

I’m feeling okay and Betty is on the mend. She has strep and is on an antibiotic now. Poor thing!

Thanks, friend!

12. Lauren says:

I gotr my haircut for the first time in months. Ugh, it had been getting awful and felt so good! Lunges kill my quads more than most exercises for some reason!

Totally agree. I’m never letting my head feel that way again. I put it off for WAY too long!

Lunges were just as bad this week as they were last week. I’m glad I have until Monday to recover from it. 🙂

13. Running Boston and Beyond says:

Hello jello shots! I haven’t had my hair cut (by anyone but me leaning over the trash can with a pair of crappy scissors cutting the splits off but hey, it was free and it’s always in a pony tail anyway) since last January.
    We watched so much football with the bowl games and the pro games. No screaming, just a lot of junk food eating and beer drinking, which was very evident when wearing a bikini to swim in this morning. Hello beer belly!
    Along with many others, back to the old routine will be good.
    Great running – so freaking fast!

The only reason I don’t have hair down to my ankles is because my sister in law is a stylist. Otherwise I hate having to pay to get my hair cut and I’m very impressed you can do yours yourself!

Haha yeah it’s time for me to lay off the beer too. It’s actually been a few days now and I’m feeling so much better! Stupid carbonation.

14. Kristin says:

You look gorgeous in that picture!! You’re so beautiful!! Also, niiice workouts!! You are killin’ 2015!! Go girl!! 🙂 You are so dedicated to running AND to staying in fabulous shape!! You’re the best! Have a super week!! XOXO

15. allisonfiorini says:

Nice job on those speedy runs! Those jello shots looked awesome. I never had those, but for my Christmas Eve party I made a layered jello shot I found on Pinterest – it was six layers, alternating red, green and white layers. Soo yummy!!!

Haha thanks. I give those shots an A+ too. Definitely the most successful alcoholic concoction I’ve ever made!

It’s always a great game when the Ravens and Steelers play!

Your hair looks great! I’m with you on the holidays. Love them, but I’m actually glad it’s Monday and that it’s back to work. I missed the routine after a while :). My New Year’s was pretty low key, it’s also my dad’s birthday so we just had a family dinner. I think the last time I stayed up for New Years was when my sister and her family were in town a few years ago and we all watched Cinderella, per my youngest nieces request..and I most definitely thought I was going to turn into a pumpkin. Morning person all the way ha :).

I never thought I’d be so happy to be back in the office and back to some kind of normal routine. Your New Years sounds so nice and low key! We were at a party, but it was pretty small. I can’t even deal with a big rager anymore. I’m a total morning person right along with you. (I slept until 10:30 one day over the weekend and it made my whole day weird.)

17. lazgirlruns says:

I love the haircut! I probably have split ends too and need to get mine done but I’m lazy haha. I watched football… go packers!! And I totally would have done a gym run if it got that cold down here… 18 is ridiculous! I’m a Florida girl so anything below 75 is pretty cold for us lol. I have been taking it slow back into running so your mileage seems like it’s super high for me! Coming off an Injury I want to make sure I don’t re-injure myself. Good luck with marathon training!

I can appreciate the Pack!! 🙂
      I am so jealous of your 75 degrees. We are going to Disney in February and I am looking forward to doing my 14 miler down there. It’s going to feel glorious (and probably very confusing in my lungs).

Thank you so much and I hope that you are feeling better quickly! Easing back in is the best way to go!

Cute haircut!

Sounds like a pretty great week of workouts, especially considering it was a holiday week plus not feeling 100 percent! I’m sure those jello shots help energize you though midweek 😉

Last week was kind of a dud training week for me – a few skipping runs, which is not like me at all. But the holidays! So this week it’s back to the routine!

Thanks, Sun!
      I can already tell a huge different between last week and this week now that all the late nights and bad food is behind me. I think I prefer it this way. Parties are fun sometimes, but it was just WAY too many parties. I’m getting too old for this. 🙂

I hope you have a great week! I feel like it’s a jumpstart week for all of us.

19. Lake Shore Runner says:

The next friend gathering I go to I am definitely making those!

I was in DC for New Years and had a great time with family and friends. I wish the trip didnt have to be over but it is nice to be back to my normal schedule 🙂

20. Running4two says:

Yay, for marathon training! I really need to sign up for one in the Spring to fill the void of qualifying for Boston but not getting in.

PS your hair looks awesome and so does your arm. Go Ravens!!!

21. Michele @ PaleoRunningMomma says:

I’m happy to welcome Monday too! Although it was tough doing a 5am wake up I’ve been craving my old routine the past few days and it will be good for the kids to be back to school and activities.

Speedy pace on all the runs! I’ve been feeling pretty sluggish since the late nov marathon.

Definitely tough to get up early (I’m a 5:15 monday riser for Pump class), but also it has felt good getting back into it! Betty is still sick, so hopefully she will have a normal week of school soon. I think she’s starting to get tired of me. 🙂

Training is non existant for Paris at the moment and I’m starting to freak out. I wonder if I will even be able to finish Paris at this point. And OMG, jello shots? I don’t think I’ve had one since college. Loving the hair!

I think you’ll finish! Just take it easy! It will be an experience of a lifetime however you get through it. (Because…PARIS!) I hadn’t had a jello shot in years before NYE. Definitely worth waiting for those though.

23. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Looks like a great week of training for you. Love the hair cut! Hope Betty is feeling better.
    We had a pretty low key NY, I volunteered for a Resolution Run since I couldn’t run. No football for me…however last night I think most of Canada was watching the world juniors….big WIN for Canada 🙂

Betty is definitely on the mend now that she has antibiotics. Sick kiddos are the worst! That’s great that you went out to volunteer instead! (I love volunteering!)

24. SY says:

Way to go with your training over the holidays. I relaxed all New Year’s Eve (was in bed by 10 pm) and woke up to a new day doing what I love…running!!! Hope you have a Happy New Year!!!

Thanks so much! Honestly bed by 10pm sounds excellent. If we weren’t at a fairly low key party I would have wanted the same thing! And of course a New Years Day run is a necessity! I hope you have a great New Year too!

25. irishrunnerchick says:

Nice haircut! When I used Higdon last time I made Wed run a tempo. I think he specifically mentions that marathon runners shouldn’t do speed work, but I think race pace runs are a must. I have no idea about football. I’ll watch the Superbowl and that’s it (although that’s mostly to drink beer and eat wings all afternoon).

Thanks, lady! I did see him mention that, but in that way I am not a very good listener. Later on down the line when my Tuesday runs get longer I want to throw some Yasso 800s in because I hear they can be a good marathon predictor and I didn’t do them last time.

26. littlegreenrunningshoes says:

Those look delish and slightly dangerous! Glad to hear you are on the mend. It’s never fun to start the year off not feeling well. I’m also glad to hear that you are still pumping! Lunges are definitely not my favorite either but they are oh so necessary. Be safe with that foot!

Totally delicious and totally dangerous. I think I’ll wait awhile before I make them again. 🙂 Pump has become one of my favorite things! I don’t know why it took me so long to jump on that train!