Happy New Year!! Goals for 2015! {The Friday Five}

It has been way way waaaaaaay too long since I linked up with three of my most favorite gals in blog land and hostesses with the mostest…esses(?), Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney for the Friday Five!

DC_linkup

You see…in order to do the Friday Five you have to blog on a Friday. And I have been very bad at that in recent months (and just at blogging in general).

So there’s no better time like the present to discuss our goals for this brand new year. Any kind of goals whether it be life related, or fitness related, or even related to this blog. Picking goals is always hard for me. There are all these things that I really WANT to do, but most of them are kind of unreasonable, like…”open an animal rescue” and “take up glass blowing” and “learn math”. I don’t like to fail at my goals. So here are my top 5 REASONABLE goals for 2015:

1. Don’t. Get. Hurt.

If you’ve been here a minute, you know what kind of year I just had. As much as I want to run, race, and PR in 2015 my top priority is staying injury-free. See, I want to run all the time. Thing is I have some physiological issues that prevent me from doing that. I know some people that could run double-digit miles every day for 8 years straight and I wish I could be one of them, but I’m just not. I’m a 5 day per week runner at best and that’s pushing it. Last year I WAY pushed it and paid the consequences so this year I’m doing things differently. That includes VERY minimal racing from now until April (there will be no 15 in ’15 challenge for me) and cutting way down on my junk miles. If my marathon plan says “run 3 miles”, I run 3 miles and I don’t run them as fast as I possibly can. Slowing down in my training runs is just as important as losing the junk miles.

2. Be friends with swimming.

Hoff

I go to a really wonderful gym that has a really wonderful pool. I know how to swim and I want to swim laps in that pool. I’ve attempted this maybe three times and every time I end up with a gallon of water in my ear and I get flustered and the whole experience is ruined. I’m decent at backstroke, but I don’t think that would serve me very well in a triathlon. Eventually I would like to do a triathlon.

All triathlons aside though, swimming is such fantastic exercise and it would be a great addition to my routine. I really want to learn to enjoy it more in 2015 and I would love to hear tips from all you swimmers out there on how I might make that happen. Maybe it will be as simple as a pair of ear plugs.

3. Run more with Betty.

It’s going to be pretty much impossible to do this until it gets warmer outside, but I have this super cool Graco Relay jogging stroller that Betty enjoys riding in and I enjoy pushing.

The Color Run: November 15, 2014

The Color Run: November 15, 2014

I received the stroller shortly before my foot went all to hell and I didn’t get as much use out of it in 2014 as I wanted to. I would really like to do more 5ks with it this year and training runs in general because I truly believe it makes me stronger. Plus Betty is hilariously entertaining while we are out running together and also not getting any younger. One day she won’t want mommy to push her around in a jogger anymore.

I’d push her to prom in the jogger if I could.

4. Redesign and self host this blog.

I am kind of mad at myself that I haven’t done this yet.

Before I had this blog I had another one that I wrote for a few years. One of the first things I did was self host that site. I have been talking about doing that with this blog since the end of 2013 and then I don’t know what happened, but all of a sudden it’s 2015 and I still haven’t done it. I’ve also been talking about doing a redesign for way too long so it’s time to get on top of that too. Self hosting really helps with the creative freedom.

I think the thing that makes me the most annoyed at myself is that I’ve done this before and I know how to do it. There will be no learning curve and there are literally thousands of times when I had downtime at home in the evenings when I could have done it. 2015 can be the year when I stop being so lazy with things.

5. Be a good person.

I think I made this a goal last year, too, but there’s never a time when we should stop trying to be good people, right? I am constantly trying to improve, whether it be at my new job, or as a wife to Mr. Salt, and most especially as Betty’s mom. That is a role that is ever-changing as she gets older and her needs are different. I always have to adapt. I also want to make an effort to reach out to friends and family more. I’m very lucky to have a great support structure in my life and a lot of people that really care about me. I want those people to always know how much I care about them too.

7c1876552bacfa2698a34b460c068af03454df9a0bdb2a4a3cfd07f3c4a6c013

I’m excited for this year. I think it’s going to be great. 🙂

What are some of your goals for 2015? Did you post about them? Make sure to link up with the DC Trifecta!!

Have a great weekend, everyone, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

81 thoughts on “Happy New Year!! Goals for 2015! {The Friday Five}

1. Lily says:

Staying injury-free is a great #1 goal! I’ve always been a 4 day a week runner and that seems to be good for me, so I’m going to stick with it. I have a good feeling for all of us running bloggers in 2015; I think it’s going to be a great year. ps I’d like to be pushed in a jogging stroller one day, pretty sure it would be the most fun ever.

I have the same feeling. I think a lot of wonderful things are going to happen for all of us this year and I can’t wait to read all about it!

I wouldn’t mind being pushed in Betty’s stroller either. That thing looks comfortable.

2. alsoranagain says:

Great goals, Salt! (And great Hoff-in-the-SpongeBob-movie GIF, too. You win the best GIF award for the day.)

I really hope you have an injury-free 2015. And I hope I do, too!

3. Kristin says:

Yay!! Such great goals!! Love ’em!! You’re amazing and I know you’ll achieve these goals with MUCH success because let’s face it, you rock!! 🙂 SWIMMING!! I love to read posts about swimming! It makes me so happy!! Just about to hit the pool myself!
    I’d wear ear plugs if the water is bothering your ears, but I also think the more you get in the pool, the less frustrating this problem will be. I guess it can kinda feel claustrophobic at first (with water in your ears), but you might get used to it over time. After I get out of the pool, I always use Swim- Ear Ear-Water drops that gets all the water out of my ears. It works fabulously!!
    Have a fantastic Friday!! You’re the best!! XOXO

You are! Thank you so much for the tips! I’m going to pick up a pair of plugs and some Swim Ear also (my mom used to give me that stuff as a kid and it always worked great). I knew that you would have some fabulous advice for me, you swimming superstar! ❤ I hope you had a great weekend!

4. Jennifer says:

Great goals! Yayyy for more swimming! Do you wear a swim cap (although that won’t help too much… I always get water in my ear…more so as an adult vs child/teenage years). Great minds think alike – I will also be working on #4.

I haven’t tried a cap, but I’ll pick one up. I should probably get a more functional swimsuit while I’m at it. I don’t ever remember getting so much water in my ear swimming as a kid!

All awesome goals!! I haven’t even had a chance to think about mine since getting so sick at Thanksgiving! Hoping to revisit this soon!

Love your goals – and definitely maximizing your ‘Running with B’ time before she is too big! Just like you mention your late 2013 desire to self-host going whoosh into 2015 … that is exactly how I feel about my kids: seems like 15 minutes ago they were the size of Betty and now *bam* I’m about to send one off to college with the other a year behind!

I found it funny that I didn’t even mention ‘stay injury free’ on my 2014 goals … it showed two things (1) I take my injury-free status for granted and (2) all of my blog friends who got hurt (ahem) in 2014 really impacted me. So for 2015 it is my #1 goal.

Those days are going to be here for me before I know it! Even just over the course of this weekend she seems to have gotten more mature and even seems a little taller. SLOW DOWN, KID!

I hope that 2015 will be the healthiest year yet for all of us!

First of all I think you are a great person. I love this blog. And I wish I was as talented as you. I have no idea how to self host and I want to revamp my site but it took so long the first time I am afraid to take the time and frustration to sit down and do it again! The injury free thing….I have just learned to accept that it happens. I try to respect the rest and recovery and strength training but sometimes it just happens. In fact right before I got that bout of tendonitis I specifically remember running around NYC thinking, “Gosh I haven’t had an injury in the longest time.” Good jinx Sarah! I am so with you on the swimming. I always thought I was a good swimmer…I grew up with a pool darn it and we have a lake house! But when I went to the gym to do laps I quickly learned that I am quite the embarrassment to swimming. I was actually thinking about taking some lessons this year. Love your goals! Happy New Year!

I feel like every time I think something like that I end up jinxing myself. I HATE how that happens. Now you’ve got me wondering if they have lessons at my gym. It definitely wouldn’t help to have a refresher course!

Thank YOU so much for your sweet comment. You are one of my favorite bloggers and I always am so inspired by your posts…this means so much!

8. Corinne says:

I love these goals! Especially the one about doing more with Betty 🙂

My goals are really to just improve upon my half-marathon PR (which may have to wait until July because I may not be able to do the half in April that I was planning on) and to drop some of the fat that I’ve gained after nearly five years of working at a desk job. I don’t have a particular goal weight in mind because I put on muscle easily, so it’s all about how my clothes fit!

She’s so much fun and the best little running buddy! I can’t wait for it to be warmer so I can take her out!

I totally agree on the clothes fitting thing. I have no idea how much I weigh. I just go by my pants. That’s what matters to me. Which half were you trying to do in April? I hope you’ll be able to!

• Corinne says:

I was looking at doing the Pro Football Hall of Fame half marathon up in Canton. But my two grandmas who live up there will both be out of town….and I really don’t want to stay with my aunt (it’s a long story LOL). I think I’d like to drop some weight first then train for the Columbus half in October. I know I’ll do a couple 5ks here and there throughout the summer (hello, Color Run with MEDALS!).

9. Kate says:

I should have put staying injury free as my top goal for this year too…since it does seem to be a yearly thing for me! I also love your
    goal about being a better person 🙂 Happy 2015!

It’s really pretty easy and if you have any questions let me know! (I’ve used BlueHost in the past and they are really user friendly and the whole process is pretty simple.) I know how hard it is to find the time though! Life is crazy! Happy 2015 to you, friend!

Yeah for no injuries!!! That’s on my list too. I haven’t written up my goals yet – still working on that. Animal Rescue is on my list of things to do one day! At least be able to foster dogs or something (specifically beagles and basset hounds).

Seriously no more getting hurt for either of us.
      Once we get a house I would love to foster animals! Although knowing me, we would end up with like 20 pets because I would want to keep all of them.

11. themilereport says:

I haven’t written out 2015 goals yet, but I like to think about them. My biggest running goal is to stay injury-free too! And like you’re trying to love swimming, I’m trying to love biking!

2014 was definitely not kind to either of us in the injury department. I hope you have a very healthy New Year and that you learn to love the bike! (Biking is so much fun!)

Yes to the not getting hurt! It makes me sad to admit that I had way too many runs this past year that were downright miserable and painful…hence one of my steps to get there is to not run when something hurts. I really should know that by now! I love your stroller running goal with Betty! My mom didn’t run when I was little, but she always took me in one of those things that attaches to bikes on the back and I loved it! I also think it’s important, especially now, that kids get out and are active with their parents. It’s nice to show them that they don’t need to be occupied by technology to have a fun time :).

My mom had one of those too! If I ever get around to getting myself a new bike I would love to get something like that for Betty and ride the trail with her. She would love it. (I mean…how could you not?) I totally agree about the activity thing too and I really hope that I can continue to be a role model for her in that way. She loves the iPad now and then, but running with mommy is WAY more fun!

I hope you had a wonderful new year, my friend!!

13. FLRunnerBoy says:

Nice goals Salt!!!! and ummmmm are you bad at math too ha lol 😛 maybe we should both take a class ha! Glass blowing who knew lol 🙂 and I’m just looking to stay healthy, continue to build on my mental toughness, get closer to that sub-21 5K, and try for a 1:45 or better half.

So so so bad.
      Honestly I really do want to learn to blow glass and have looked into it before, but as a hobby it is ridiculously expensive and we all know I need to save my shoe money. Maybe one day if I win the lottery. 🙂

I think you are going to knock your goals out of the park this year!

14. Karen G says:

Great goals! A triathalon may be on my list too, but WAY, WAY in the future… (Because that is super intimidating!) 😉
    Here’s to an injury-free 2015!!

15. irishrunnerchick says:

Yes to injury-free 2015! I’ve just gotten into to swimming recently and for the first couple of weeks I was a total mess. Water everywhere. Coughing non-stop. Swallowing water. Feeling like a total newb. But just hang in there – as soon as I felt relaxed in the water, everything came together.

Let me know if you have any questions! I’d love to help! 🙂
      I just can’t wait for it to get warmer out so I can take her outside. She would hate me if I took her out in 20 degrees haha.

I cannot get enough of that gif. It is one of my absolute favorites! I totally agree with you…it’s so much easier to achieve your other goals if you just don’t get hurt!

16. Debbie @ Deb Runs says:

Our #1 goals are one and the same! I’m working though an injury right now, and hope to get it behind me quickly. Here’s to a healthy and fit 2015!

17. fitfoodiemama says:

Woohoo- such awesome goals! I love that you want to get into swimming and run with Betty more once it gets warmer out. I have both a single and a double jogger that I also need to put to good use this Spring!

I am currently moving my blog over to a different host and it is a MESS! I lost all of my recipes and I am not a very happy camper right now. Transferring anything data related is frustrating, I don’t blame you for putting it off even when you know what you’re doing 😛

Anyone who can run with a double jogger is a total beast. I can’t imagine pushing two! That’s some amazing strength training! 🙂

Oh shoot I’m sorry to hear what happened with the recipes. Which hosting are you using? I hope it all gets sorted out quickly!