2014: Fun times, success, and a few too many pity parties.

Well here we are! It’s the last day of 2014 and I’m sitting here all confused because WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO 2014!? Remember when you were little and time seemed to go sooooo slowly? I used to “yeah right” my mom whenever she would tell me that time sped up the older you get and the moral of that story is: listen to your mom.

I have been thinking for days about how I wanted to approach my yearly recap. So much has happened that I could write a post as long as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but then no one would want to read it including me. So here are a few of the highest of highlights and lowliest of lowlights that I’ve picked out from the past year.

The Highlights!

Betty!

Obviously the highlightiest of all is Betty because nothing could ever beat her out for that top spot. From our trip to Florida in February (and her first ride on an airplane!), to her second birthday in March, to Halloween fun, and our first 5K together, there are really way too many favorite memories to list.

photo

There’s so much fun ahead of us in 2015, even if age 3 does end up being worse than 2 like every person who has experience parenting a three year old has been telling me.

I am choosing to remain optimistic that we will be an exception because Betty already acts like she’s 10.

PRs

At the beginning of the year I set a couple personal race goals for 2014. One of them was to run a 21-minute 5k, a goal I attained in early May. I went on to PR two more times in June, my fastest being at the Fit Foodie where I was an ambassador and got to hang with some of my favorite blogging ladies for a weekend! From left to right, Cynthia, Erika, Photobomb Sue, and Courtney! (I’m in there too. Duh.) Fellow Ambassadors Deb and Amy are not pictured, but I wish they were!

Target Starbucks selfie. Fortunately I have super-humanly long arms.

Awesome time with awesome ladies!

I also set my 15K PR in March (not that I have much to compare it to because I’ve only run one 15K), my 10K PR in April, my half marathon PR in September, and most recently my 8K PR at Zoo Zoom in November. Zoo Zoom is one of my favorite races and my performance there compared to last year really gave me a good idea of how far I’ve come as a runner.

photo 2

Of course it was also awesome to finally meet Mar and hang with one of my BRFs, Sara!

And speaking of BRFs…following an October 5K, I made the trek down to the Marine Corps Marathon to FINALLY meet my sole sister, Helly! Sorry not sorry that I have already posted this photo 12 times.

photo 2

It was a year FULL of running friends!

photo 3My friend Trish is on the far left, then Amber of PB & PRs next to me on the left and Lisa from Running Out of Wine on the right!

My First Marathon

I recapped it in two separate posts (here and here), but just in case you don’t have a spare 45 minutes to read all my ramblings here are the Cliffs Notes: On May 25 I ran Bob Potts, a small marathon in York, PA.

marathon salt

My training left a lot to be desired because I got laid up with tendinitis (see the upcoming pity party section), but I managed to MacGuyver together the right amount of long runs and finished in 3:49:25; a number which I would subsequently have tattooed onto my forearm.

IMG_4298

The Mobbies

Not exactly running related, but run blogging related: I won a Mobbie! (In acid washed pants!)

photo-2

Now you are probably asking yourself “WTF is a Mobbie” and I’ll tell you. The Mobbies are awards for Maryland’s Outstanding Blogs and I was voted #1 Health and Wellness Blog this year! Thank you so much to everyone who voted for me!

The GPS Series

The GPS is a series of 8 races held by my run club. In order to be eligible for a prize at the end of the year I had to participate in 4 of the events and place well in my age group. Despite some injury drama, I completed 5 of the races and took home a lovely first place plaque. Here’s a recap after the award night and in that post I also recapped the races that got me there.

roadrunners

Finally Training Again!

In October there was supposed to be a second marathon and then I was supposed to be heading to Disney next week to do the Dopey Challenge, but as we all know sometimes things don’t go as planned. I don’t consider that a half marathon happened instead of the full and that I will still be here in cold-ass Baltimore next week are bad things because great things came from both. I had a blast with friends running the Baltimore Half Marathon (improving my time by 2 minutes over last year!) and I was able to defer my Dopey registration to 2016. Best of all? The break from training for all those long distances allowed me some extra healing time and now as of last week I’m working toward an April marathon. I’m really looking forward to training correctly and playing it safe this time around, following a plan and taking my time. Hopefully the result will be a great race in New Jersey!

Race Pics!

Here are my top 5 faves from the past year:

PD3_9734em

Bob Potts Marathon: May 25, 2014

Fit Foodie 5K: June 21, 2014

Fit Foodie 5K: June 21, 2014

Charles Street 12: August 9, 2014

Charles Street 12: August 9, 2014

Baltimore Running Festival: October 18, 2014

Baltimore Running Festival: October 18, 2014

The Color Run: November 15, 2014

The Color Run: November 15, 2014

TOTAL MILEAGE FOR 2014: 1,302

I started out this year with the goal of running 1,500 miles. It didn’t happen and I’m okay with that. Honestly, 1,300 is far more than I thought I’d be able to manage all things considered. Which brings us to…

The Lowlights!

giphy

I went to the doctor this year almost as many times as I went in 2012. And in 2012 I was pregnant.

Injury #1: February. A nagging little pain in my right ankle blew up into a case of peroneal tendinitis so severe that I could barely walk at the end of our otherwise-very-fun Florida vacation. I can only blame myself for this. It hurt and I ran on it anyway. I’m a dumbass who learned a valuable lesson:

If something hurts, DON’T RUN ON IT.

If I hadn’t made that rookie mistake, maybe I wouldn’t have been sitting down on an exercise bike for pretty much the entire month of March with a May marathon looming on the horizon. I did attempt a rosy approach at this injury here.

Injury #2: June. This time it was much worse. After visits to multiple podiatrists, a sports medicine doctor, my chiropractor, and an acupuncturist, the diagnosis that stuck was deep peroneal nerve entrapment. (I HATE ANYTHING INVOLVING PERONEALS!) Likely brought on by all the 5Ks I raced in the wrong pair of shoes, which just so happen to also be one of my favorite pairs of shoes because I was wearing them during all of my short distance PRs. I was told I needed surgery and resigned myself to it because at the worst point I would have rather someone cut my nerves and make my toes go numb forever than feel the dreadful pain that I was constantly feeling.

For all of you that continued to read my blog while this was all going on…thank you. I was trying to not be depressing, but looking back on it I was depressed and not fun to be around either on here or at home. It was REALLY hard to be a coffee bean.

I got a bunch of needles in my foot for diagnostic tests, plus cortisone and I know I was probably judged by people for getting it, but I think it was instrumental in my surgery avoidance. I switched to the Baltimore half due to inability to train for the full and wrote off Dopey until 2016 because there was just no way. And now?  It’s actually better. Dr. No-BS was RIGHT. I never, ever thought it would get better without surgery and it did. I do stretching exercises with my foot regularly and whenever I can I warm up and cool down before and after my runs and so far this has kept my foot feeling pretty healthy. I would say that it’s about at 98.3%. It’s pain-free, but it still feels a little weird from time to time and to this day slightly discolored. That bruise was OMG.

tumblr_mmkov9XV5z1soeql8o1_500

2014 has been one of my best years ever. Full of fun times with my girl, family, friends, great new opportunities (including a new job!), lots of races (18!), and even when things got rough lessons were learned.

AND YOU GUYS! Thank you for making my first full year of blogging such an incredible experience! 2015 has some stiff competition.

What were some of your brightest moments of 2014?

Xo,

71 thoughts on “2014: Fun times, success, and a few too many pity parties.

1. SY says:

Awesome highlights of your year!!! I think the biggest highlight for me in 2014 was running my fastest half at 1:51:04… My goal was to get it under 2… So I was very pleased… Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year!!!

2. Running Boston and Beyond says:

Hey girl, what a freaking fabulous year! Congrats on all your successes and as for those pity parties, it happens because INJURIES SUCK! My year was pretty epic as I got to run Boston and race a 70.3 for my first tri, and was patient enough to let my stupid shin splint heal. You know how much patience that takes! Cheers to 2014 and am glad I found your blog this year 🙂 Happy and healthy 2015 to you!

Thank you so much! Honestly as much as the injuries suck I still wouldn’t take them back. I learned a lot about humility and how to train correctly by having to sit down for awhile.

You had SUCH an amazing year and I’m so glad I found your blog too! You’re such a cool person and I’m so excited to see what 2015 brings you!

Bright moment: becoming friends with you. And realizing I want to be Betty when I grow up. You know what? so you had some pity parties. That just means that you get a freaking noise maker, put on a cone hat, and grab the candy (for fuel, obvs), and start making something with pipcleaners. And hey, a party means, cake, which is pretty damn excellent, amiright!
    Love you Mamasalt. You are an amazing lady, amazing mom, and amazing athlete. Have the best new year, and all the love and health to you and your family!

You always say the most perfect things, Suz. ❤ I’m so glad that we have become friends this year and we HAVE TO HANG OUT. Hopefully in 2015! And when we do, there must be cake and pipecleaner projects. Betty would approve of both.

I love you, girl, and I hope you have the happiest new year. ❤

4. Kathryn @ Dancing to Running says:

You had quite an amazing 2015! So many PRs to celebrate, and I love that you and Betty were able to share a 5k race experience together. I know that there will be amazing things coming your way in 2015, and hopefully I’ll finally be able to meet you in person!

Thanks so much, friend! Being able to share the race experience with my girl was so tops. 🙂 She’s already talking about a Color Run in 2015! I hope we can finally meet in person too!

What would a year be without pitty parties? Seriously though I am so glad you are healthy and over all of that nonsense. I remember how frustrating that was for you and nothing drives a runner crazy than being painfully injured and not getting a decent diagnosis and plan of action! Betty is such a doll!
    Congrats on a great running year with a ton of successes along the way, both running and blogging. What a way to push through the adversities and come out way ahead on the other side. Happy New Year friend!

Thank you so much. It was waaaaay too much nonsense, but at least I got a lot of new knowledge out of it. 🙂 Happy New Year to YOU, my friend, and thank you for being so supportive and such a great source of information this year! You rock!

6. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Love your recap and photo’s! You met so many blogger/runners – fun! Brighter moments for me – taking my oldest skiing and skating, celebrating our youngest birthday and new PR’s in 5k, 10k and Half 🙂
    Happy New Year Salt, hope 2015 is awesome for you and your family.

I consider myself so lucky that I got to run (haha) into so many awesome people this year and also that so many cool bloggers are local-ish to me! I hope you had an amazing New Year, friend!

7. Kelly @ Turned up to Eleven! says:

I love that this was all just ONE YEAR but it feels like you definitely got a lifetime crammed into one small 12 month span!!! Betty gets cuter everyday, and your running just amazes me every. single. time. you post something!!! You get bonus kudos for that Peter Griffin Gif – I nearly shot coffee out of my nose on that one!!! Love you and Happy New Year Friend!!! ox

Seriously I don’t know when I had time to sleep. (Which is maybe why my sleep tracker is so embarrassing.) I look at Betty some days and still can’t even believe that she’s mine. 🙂

I hope you guys had the most wonderful New Year too! I love you and I MISS YOU!!!

What an amazing year for you!! I was wondering if there was any magic trick to your recent injury recovery because last I had heard it was still pretty bad and then next think I knew you were running miles like a rockstar! I’m glad that it is better and that you didn’t need surgery!
    It was great to meet you at Chuck 12 and hopefully i will see you at more races this year! Happy New Year!!

When I saw you at Charles Street 12 I was still in the whole “the first mile of any run is awful” stage, but once that started to get better it got better fast. I consider myself so lucky. I’m just now getting to the point where I can stop thinking about it entirely when I’m out there (I still have some runner’s hypochondria going on about it though but really it feels fine). I hope we run into each other at more races this year too! I hope you guys had an awesome New Year!

Congrats on an awesome 2014! You survived your injuries and came out the other side with some lessons learned. You are an inspiring athlete and I cant wait to see you conquer Jersey. Its been aweaome getting to know you this year and its so cool that Betty and Charlotte are in the same class. Cheers to an awesome 2015!

My 2014 bright spot? Learning to run!

The injuries definitely sucked, but I wouldn’t change anything. I definitely learned the smart way to do things! Thank you so much for being such an awesome friend this year and YOU inspire ME! It has been so amazing watching you grow as an athlete this year!

Oh and I told Betty tonight that we were going to be on a Color Run team with you and Charlotte and she got so excited. 🙂

Wow, what a fabulous year in spite of the injuries! I love that marathon finish photo 🙂 I’ve been lucky to have a year with a lot of bright spots but my first half marathon and all the races I’ve done with friends have been highlights.

I think that marathon finish photo is one of my favorite pictures ever. 🙂 Thanks so much, lady! I have really enjoyed reading about your running journey this year and I think you have many wonderful things ahead of you for 2015!

11. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

What an incredible year for you! I don’t know how you were so successful with those two injuries except for the fact that you rock.
    A highlight of 2014 for me was simply running again and starting my blog! I would say a running highlight would be finishing my half marathon although I got hurt in the process.

Honestly, I don’t know how I ran that many miles. I do know that I don’t want to ever deal with anything like that again. 🙂
      I’m so glad that you started your blog and that I started reading it! You are super cool! I hope you had the most wonderful New Year (and that you are enjoying your break!)

12. Kristin says:

WOW WOW WOW SALT!!! What a year 2014 was for ya!! Such fabulous accomplishments!! I’m so proud of you!! You’re an amazing woman and an amazing athlete!! You look absolutely gorgeous in every picture, too!! Go you and Go 2015! Happy New Year’s Eve! Have a fabulous start to the new year!! XOXO

Right after I got that tattoo done I posted it online and someone was like “omg you really got that tattooed on your arm?” and I was like…well yeah. That person was not a runner.

I hope that 2015 is injury free for EVERYBODY! And that you have had a wonderful holiday!

13. Jennifer says:

Great year! I love the moments you have with Betty 🙂 Hopefully I’ll get to meet you next year at a race (have some Baltimore ones lined up for 2015). Happy New Year

It is never a dull moment with that child. 🙂
      I hope that we will get a chance to meet up too. Which ones are you going to be running up here? We definitely need to get together!

14. afastpacedlife says:

You are so effin’ awesome! You had an incredible despite the setbacks. I admire you very much and you’re one of my runninf role models. I can’t wait to see all the wonderful PRs you’ll set and races where yiu rock.

That means a lot coming from you because YOU ARE AWESOME. I’m actually a little teary right now. You have had such an outstanding year yourself and I’m so excited to follow your half training. I think you are going to destroy your PR. ❤ Happy New Year, friend!

15. Sara @ lifebetweenthemiles says:

You had a kick ass year my friend, even with all the injuries. I’m sending you injury free thoughts this year because like I have said many times before, I know BIG things are in your future, which I hope will end with a visit to Boston in April in 2016 to visit me!! 🙂 B keeps getting cuter and I love watching her grow!! Happy New Year lady! xo

If I ever make it to Boston you are going to be the first person I call. 🙂 Thank you so much for all your support always, Sara. I am truly lucky to have a friend like you. ❤

And talk about a kick ass year…you had an outstanding 2014!! I love it!

It’s been fun following along with you all year! So great! Congrats on all the PR’s. And as for the injuries – well, they say that runners always ignore doctors, so you’re not alone. Ha!
    My highlite? I had quite a few. But the Dopey Challenge was pretty dope indeed.

17. Lauren says:

Congrats on an amazing year-it rocked for you! I’m sure you’ll keep kicking ass in 2015. Hope to bump into you at one of these Baltimore races we both always run in the new year!

Thank you! I knew after I ran a full that I wanted to get something related to that as a tattoo, but couldn’t think of what. Then it all became clear. That time is so MINE! I hope you have had a Happy New Year too!

Aww I loved this! I know it was a super rough year in the injury department for you, but to still PR in all those distances is truly INCREDIBLE. I get so excited when I see people who haven’t been running for years and years do so well. You’ve made leaps and bounds in such a short amount of time…amazing! You haven’t even tipped the iceberg of your potential and I cannot wait to see what 2015 has in store for you! Happy New Year! 🙂

It was lame, but I wouldn’t change a thing. I needed to learn these lessons now so that going forward I’ll be making smarter decisions!
      I’m so glad that we “met” this year, my friend! You are always so upbeat, supportive, and you have the best advice! You inspire ME! I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that 2015 is the best yet for you!

19. Running Betty says:

I love your 2014 recap! My year was like yours, lots of ups and downs, but overall a rocking year! Congrats on all your amazing accomplishments in 2014, including great QT with betty, prs, and your first marathon! And cheers to you going into 2015! 🙂

• Running Betty says:

Thank you! So did you! And I had a good start to the new year, starting at square 1 again but can’t think of a better time to reset! Happy 2015 to you! You’re going to rock it! 🙂

YES PLEASE. You know I haven’t been there since the last time I went with you? And then the other day I was at the Starbucks and was thinking about how much I wanted it. Let’s please make this happen soon. ❤

20. FLRunnerBoy says:

You truly had an amazing year Salt!!! And I didn’t know you were a 1x marathoner too!!! The highlight of 2014 for me was going 21:00 in the 5K and getting that long awaited new PR 🙂

Thanks, Lee!! Yep just one under my belt so far and looking forward to April!
      That PR was HUGE and I think you have a lot more ahead of you for next year. You rock, my friend!

21. prettylittlerunner says:

Hey doll! Ive missed you! The second half of the year was not great for me either:/ but im looking forward to training with a group, staying healthy and running boston like its my job! 2015 has nothing on 2014;)

TANTRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh I have so much to catch up on. I’ve missed you!!! I’m sorry that the second half was not so great for you either, but I know you are going to own this year! Boston here you come!!!!!

22. ambertherunner says:

SO MUCH goodness in one year! 18 races is awesome 🙂
    Hopefully your training for NJ goes much more smoothly. I imagine it will given that you taking training slowly and you know what exercises your foot needs. I can’t wait to see where 2015 takes you!
    My brightest moments were probably my half marathon PRs this fall, as well as the Baltimore 10 miler & Chuck St 12 – so many good memories & so much fun meeting fellow bloggers!

I hope so too. I know what kind of stupidity to avoid this time so I think I’m already off to a better start. 🙂 We are so lucky to live in an area where there are a bunch of cool bloggers around! We all need to meet up at more races!

Seriously, you had an AMAZING year! One of my highlights was meeting you!! Can’t wait to meet up again sometime soon 🙂 Love the “photobomb Sue”. Happy New Year!