NJ Marathon Training week 1 Recap!

Mostly fueled by wine and cookies. With Christmas behind us it’s time to get back to some more reasonable eating habits, but overall my first week of training for NJ went as well as I could have hoped despite some very late nights and a little too much holiday cheer. Good thing week 1 is less mileage than I’m used to.

Here’s how things shaped up:

Monday, December 22: Hal said rest and this is one way that I’m modifying his plan. Monday is my Body Pump day. I had a GREAT class, plus Sara was there and it’s more fun to be tortured with friends. My usual Pump instructor has been out with a slipped disc and we had a sub. She was insane. I had made a pact with myself to up my weight since it was the start of my training and I immediately regretted it because the class was the hardest I’ve ever taken, new weight or not.

Tuesday, December 23: 3 miles. I can’t remember the last time I only ran 3 miles. I did a slow half mile warm up, a toned down version of 6×400 intervals, and then a slow half mile cool down.

Wednesday, December 24: 5 mile pace. It was a monsoon outside so I took it to the treadmill, set a 1% incline and pace to 8:20. This run felt awesome.

Thursday, December 25: Fa la la la la yay Christmas! Plan said 3 miles, but I got my new watch and decided that 3 miles was not enough even though it was all kinds of windy and I had a little bit of a headache because Christmas Eve chocolate cake martinis. (YUM.)

photo

I ran 5 a little faster than I should have (7:44). I guess those holiday socks got me a little too excited. Probably better that I got a couple extra miles in anyway to offset the face stuffage that would occur later.

Friday, December 26: REST. It ended up being a pretty active rest day. I took a nice walk with Betty and my mom and did some strength training in the evening.

Saturday, December 27: 8 miles. Lots of hills. Beautiful sunrise.

sunrise

So pretty right? I was still sluggish from Christmas and had a rough start, but finished pretty strong. Then I shopped a lot which is my favorite way to cross train. Betty got her first pair of light up sneakers. I’m jealous of them.

Sunday, December 28: Cross train day. I ended up running a couple easy miles to test my new watch on the treadmill. IT’S SO COOL and pretty accurate to the readout on the ‘mill. (.05 mile off on both attempts.) I also spent some time on the elliptical and then went to a new class at the gym. It’s a fusion of yoga, tai chi, and Pilates and I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it will be my new Sunday thing.

Week 1 Total Mileage: 24

Goal for this week: Cutting waaaaay back on sugar and wine. The piece of pie I ate at family Christmas #3 on Sunday night was my last hurrah with dessert for awhile. I’m ready to tackle week 2 and will be kicking it off with Pump class again!

Why do I have a feeling the next 17 weeks are going to go by in a blink?

Is anyone else training for a spring race right now? How did the holidays affect your training? Do you consider shopping to be a cross train?

I hope all of you had the merriest weekend!

60 thoughts on “NJ Marathon Training week 1 Recap!

I’m so excited too and I hope I can get myself a PR there as well! I have only heard really good things about it. (And I’m excited that it shouldn’t be as boring scenery-wise as my race in May. I had a great time, but there wasn’t much to look at.)

1. afastpacedlife says:

Gorgeous sunrise photo. I’m looking forward to reading about your marathon training.

I’m training for an early spring half using a training plan for the first time. I’m going to do my best to stick to the plan to see how it goes. I had been improvising my training up until now.

It was definitely a pleasant surprise as I got to the top of a particularly nasty hill!
      I just checked out your plan a bit ago and it sounds awesome. I think you are going to kill your goal!

2. Karen @ runningfifty says:

Sounds like a great week! We are training for the Houston Rhythm and Blues half marathon in February. The holidays are actually giving me more flexibility with my schedule so it’s been easier to add in training runs. I love your suggestion of shopping as cross training. Perfect!

3. Sam @ The Running Graduate says:

Great week of training! It is so exciting to start a new training plan. The time between now and your race is going to fly by! And that new watch is fierce!
    Last week I started training for my spring half marathons. It involves more running days than I’m used to so I’m happy for a rest day today.

I know right? I need to start making hotel arrangements of some kind. I love a racecation. 🙂

I hope your training goes amazingly! I’m excited to read all about it. I think you are going to do great with that new plan!

4. FLRunnerBoy says:

Yeppers Salt I’m training for a spring half marathon my first in quite sometime. And effect yes indeed! Now … brace yourself … don’t fall out of your chair … I didn’t run a lick last week hahaha lol 😛 no worries I’m back on the horse this week

Shopping with a little is definitely cross training, with all the chasing and grappling and begging and pleading… 🙂

I’ve missed body pump, so glad I’ve made the switch to Mondays! I’m working on my spring training plan now – need to figure out how to keep the cross training I want with the available time I have. I was supposed to officially start February 1, but I think I might be bumping that up to Jan 18th.

Those kids are like mini-personal trainers!
      I’m so glad you switched too! It’s so much more fun with a friend there. Slipped disc instructor was the one back today and she’s really nice. With that awesome hill run, you are basically training right now!

I’m so glad to hear that I’m not alone with the crappy eating habits over the past week. I figure we deserve it. We work so hard throughout the year. Now there is definitely some damage for me to undo.

Congrats on the great first training week! I’m not training yet but hopefully come the 2nd week of January I’ll be back at it again (but for half-marathon training not full). I am in agreement on the less sugar/less wine goal…well, no maybe just the less sugar. I still want my wine! 😀

7. irishrunnerchick says:

Your watch is so pretty! I can’t believe it’s marathon season again – although I don’t have to start until the end of January. Definitely with you – too much rich food, alcohol and chocolate this last week. But you need to feel that holiday “Ugh I ate way too much I could burst” or it’s not really Christmas, right?

8. ambertherunner says:

My first two weeks had low mileage as well- but I like that it coincided with the approaching holidays- no stress over getting my miles in. I’m glad I’m not the only one that went indoors on Wednesday too! At least Christmas Day had beautiful weather.
    Looking forward to following along on your training 🙂

Training for Phoenix, did an 18 on Saturday and now my calf is being a bit of a bitch. WTF? Why not tell me while I’m running that there is an issue rather than waiting until after fool???

10. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Oh I love that Garmin! That’s on my list someday 🙂 Sounds like you had a good week of running! I’m currently not training and taking care of my pulled hamstring – managed a 32 minute walk last night with no pain!

It is absolutely everything I hoped it would be…HIGHLY recommend! It was a really good week. 🙂 I hope that your hamstring feels better fast…I love that challenge you posted on your blog today and I’m so glad you had a great walk!

I still got the miles in over the holidays but they were all slow and didn’t feel great- probably due to wine and sugar! But that’s what the holidays are all about, right?:) I’m also excited to get back to some regular eating habits this week!

I know exactly how you feel. I think this is the first I’ve really noticed how poorly diet can affect performance. I’m ready to not do that anymore. But yes…totally worth it. 🙂

I’m with ya, I had a little too much indulging going on…despite keeping up with all my runs. Time to buckle down! (assuming I can still buckle my belt)
    Looks like you’ve been having fun. Hope y’all had a great holiday!

13. fitfoodiemama says:

What an awesome first week of marathon training! I finished my first week of half marathon training and got that same watch for Christmas too- I was able to take it out for my 8 miler on Saturday as well! It was so beautiful here it was nice to get outside for a change since I have been doing most of my miles on the ‘mill.

I am so excited to follow along on your marathon training journey- I will be running my first in the Fall and I have no idea what to expect, haha!

We’ve been pretty lucky around here with mild winter temps! Isn’t that watch the best!? I just live everything about it. Which half do have coming up?? And which full? I’m so excited for you!

Off to a great start! I’m not yet planning any races, but not too concerned either – doesn’t seem to impact whether or not I go out and run 🙂

Shopping, lugging boxes, assembling kids toys (in the past for me) and so on … DEFINITELY cross training!

And I have no idea how/when I stopped getting emails, you are still in my WP feed, but saw that the ‘sign up’ was active rather than ‘you are subscribed’ … oh well, subscribed again 🙂

Oh my gosh the toy assembly. That trampoline we got for B was no joke. My arms were sore afterward.

The only thing on my list so far is Jersey. I may not race at all until then. Trying to stay as healthy as I can!

I was toying around with some of my settings recently because I’m about to self-host so I probably screwed something up haha. It’s good to see you !!

15. Running Boston and Beyond says:

I’m fueling with champagne my sister “accidentally” (I put it on the lower door shelf with the mayo and mustard so OOPSIE) left at my house from Christmas. Yeah, lots of that until New Year’s but whatevs, that’ll be it, until basically next Christmas! Sounds like your training kicks ass. I’m doing Hal’s plan for my March marathon, but just can’t do all the speed yet, which drives me NUTS, but it’s either that or a hurt leg. And what IS IT about those light up shoes? I’ve seen them light up on the TOP. The glittery shiny ones get me too. Good thing I spend all my shoe money on the ones I run in. Happy 2015!

16. Jennifer says:

Cute socks!! I intended to run the Charleston Half as my first “A” race of the year, but due to my foot I think I will take it easy with that one. My next big Spring race will be Shamrock weekend (8K + Half Marathon).

I’m supposed to be training for Paris, but that isn’t happening anytime soon. I’m STILL F’ing sick. I’ve lost all of my conditioning, I’ll be lucky if I can even finish the marathon. glad you are doing well and staying healthy!!

18. itsmejenlovett says:

Hi Salt! Love the socks!
    I am training for the Gettysburg Marathon this April, it will be my 2nd Full Marathon and first time training for a full in winter (did the Balt Marathon after the summer of 2012, hottest summer ever). I am not officially ‘training’ until 1/1. I can’t even think about it after the obscene amounts of food/booze I have had in the last week, even though through it all I have managed to keep my mileage up consistently, thank goodness.
    My plan the 2nd time around is to not over train and with this mentality I feel less pressured than last time. I am alternating really long runs each weekend (10m-16m-11m-17m, etc up to 22) and doing more 6-8 mile runs during the week. Hope this will free up my weekends a little more too for things that pop up.
    I enjoy your instagram posts, keep up the great work! Cheers to 2015 marathon training!
    Jen

Sounds like a great first week of training! Starting out with lower mileage during the holidays seems like smart planning to me – it’s hard to fit those miles in when there are so many other things happening and so many cookies to be eaten 😉

Excited to follow your training this winter/spring – you’re off to a fantastic start!

Woo hoo for your first week! I love your new watch…I got mine too!! Shopping totally counts as cross training. I counted that and baking (hello stirring!) as my strength workout ;). I really wanted to take my watch for a run on Christmas day, but I was still stuffed from our big Christmas breakfast ha and I don’t think I could have even made it down my street.